Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Clemson Baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Clemson Baseball

Jun 8, 2015, 9:49 AM

Clemson Baseball

Clemson Baseball
For the first time in over 60 years, we don't know who the Clemson baseball coach next season.

What we do know is this is a good job. In fact, in many ways it is one of the best jobs in the country.

It is not the perfect job. It has its issues. But it has a lot of

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is it, again, that CU is at such a disadvantage

Jun 8, 2015, 10:07 AM

with recruiting, compared to other ACC/SEC schools?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is it, again, that CU is at such a disadvantage

Jun 8, 2015, 10:10 AM

A big part of it is the scholarship issues. NCAA allows 11 or 11.5 scholarships to be spread across the entire roster. Many of the other schools provide additional funding to get players, and Clemson does not.

The best a kid could get offered from out of state is in-state tuition and he would be on the hook for the rest.

Will that be addressed? Or are we going to just take our

Jun 8, 2015, 10:13 AM

chances letting other schools 'pay' more than we can?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think there is much we can do about that

Jun 8, 2015, 10:16 AM

many of these advantaged programs are private schools that have completely different (and fewer) rules to adhere to than state schools.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2015, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it, again, that CU is at such a disadvantage ]

see my issue is why arent we doing that. Dont tell me we cant or there isnt money too because I'm not buying that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Why spend 10s of millions on facilties upgrades

Jun 8, 2015, 1:28 PM

then go cheap for a coach or refuse to step up and help recruits? We just started getting an extra $7 to 9 million per year with the new ESPN contract and IPTAY is sitting on $40+ million.

null

Jun 8, 2015, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it, again, that CU is at such a disadvantage ]

Vanderbilt has this huge foundation that has been built up over the years from the donations of Vanderbilt graduates. This foundation benefits ALL students, not just baseball players. If it only benefited athletes it would be illegal. Clemson also has a foundation. Clemson's foundation is FAR smaller than Vanderbilt's. Either Clemson graduates do not contribute to Clemson the way Vanderbilt grads do to Vanderbilt, or they are not as successful as Vanderbilt grads. Bottom line is Clemson grads do not give nearly as much money to the Clemson foundation. This is not likely to change anytime soon, if ever. So , no we CAN'T do what Vanderbilt is doing.

ALL Florida student, not just athletes, are eligible for FAR more lottery money than SC students. This is because of our Tea Party dominated legislature. This is not likely to change. If anything, the amount that SC kids (and universities) get is probably going to go DOWN. So, no we CAN'T do what Florida does because of the idiots in our legislature.

> see my issue is why arent we doing that. Dont tell
> me we cant or there isnt money too because I'm not
> buying that

Jun 8, 2015, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it, again, that CU is at such a disadvantage ]

And all that ESPN money and IPTAY money CANNNOT be used to level the playing field with Vanderbilt and Florida. Doesn't matter how much money there is in the bank, you can only fund 11.7 full scholarships, and we're already doing that. That money cannot be used to supplement scholarships.

And before you ask why not, it's because it is an NCAA rule. And there is ZERO chance that the NCAA is going to increase the number of allowable baseball scholarships.

Jun 8, 2015, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Why is it, again, that CU is at such a disadvantage ]

I can give 2 examples of programs I am familiar with:

Florida and Georgia offer HOPE scholarships thru their state lottery which pays in state tuition = free ride. Hard to get kids out of those states unless the do not meet the HOPE requirements. UF has 7 non-Floridians on roster.

Vandy has a $30 million endowment that they use to supplement scholarships. But they are private.

Clemson cam offer HOPE to in state qualifiers, just as SC can. We just recently agreed to waive out of state fees for athletes. More things along these lines need to be done. It's not a level landscape by far.

Need to check your facts on Hope Scholarships

Jun 8, 2015, 12:01 PM

I do not believe that HOPE scholarships pay for all tuition currently. Certainly the Hope funding helps. State funding for public universities has changed significantly in recent years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson Baseball

Jun 8, 2015, 10:59 AM

Over the weekend, some friends of ours here in NW Georgia took their grandson to LSU where he has a full schollarship for baseball. Far as I know, LSU is not private, nor do I believe any kid would be worth a full ride if they only had $$ for 11.5 players. Anyone want to explain this? If we cannot overcome this, no matter who the coach is, we'll never catch up.

Re: Louisiana has TOPS Opportunity Scholarships

Jun 8, 2015, 11:57 AM

That will pay tuition and some fees and the qualifications aren't excessive (e.g. 2.5 High School GPA) I can't explain all the ins and outs of benefits available in every state but apparently there are many ways to supplement the 11.7 allowed baseball scholarships in many states. Some of the posts in this thread are incorrect in assuming that a Hope scholarship in Ga will pay all of tuition. I think that the amount has changed significantly though it is still advantageous. State funding for public universities has changed significantly in recent years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson Baseball

Jun 8, 2015, 11:00 AM

Mackey can't even get through the first sentence without an error.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

In baseball, the lack of the JC route hurts. Also, salaries

Jun 8, 2015, 4:39 PM

for assistant coaches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic