Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Slimmer, healthy Tyshon Dye ready to make a name for himself
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

New Story: Slimmer, healthy Tyshon Dye ready to make a name for himself

Mar 23, 2015, 7:04 PM

Slimmer, healthy Tyshon Dye ready to make a name for himself

When Tyshon Dye returned to action last November, many Clemson fans wanted to see the Elberton, Ga., native carry more of the load as the Tigers dealt with injuries at the running back position. Dye admitted Monday, however, that he wasn’t physically ready to carry too much of that load. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is he targeting 210?

Mar 23, 2015, 7:58 PM

He isn't quite 6 feet but to be a strong back shouldn't he be closer to 215 to 220?

Re: Why is he targeting 210?

Mar 23, 2015, 8:15 PM

I agree....210 is way too light....he needs to be 220!!!

We could let you try to tackle him at 210 and see how

Mar 23, 2015, 10:05 PM

that goes.

Re: We could let you try to tackle him at 210 and see how

Mar 24, 2015, 5:30 AM

I agree. There was a time not long ago (I might be aging myself...) when the IDEAL BACK was like, (5'-9") - (6'-0") and 210(+/-), e.g.: Emmitt Smith, Bo Jackson, etc. As a fairly stout guy, I would not EVEN have wanted to run head-on into that truck. Just sayin'....

Re: We could let you try to tackle him at 210 and see how

Mar 24, 2015, 5:35 AM

.... not to mention Barry Sanders, the back I personally consider the greatest ever.

Mar 25, 2015, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is he targeting 210? ]

I'm sure you two know his body and what he should weigh better than he does.

SMDH

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

The coaches want him at whatever weight feels comfortable

Mar 24, 2015, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Why is he targeting 210? ]

to him. That's good enough for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

He's probably targeting a certain body fat %

Mar 24, 2015, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Why is he targeting 210? ]

once he cuts weight to that % and has his speed where he wants it, he might try to put muscle on and get bigger.

Mar 24, 2015, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Why is he targeting 210? ]

Gurley @ 6'1" is 222 lbs, for comparison. 210 isn't too bad if he's looking for speed as well at his height 5'11", but 215 would IMO be a bit more ideal.

220 To 226 lbs Would Be A Good Weight For Dye

Mar 23, 2015, 8:12 PM

That 210 leaves a little left to be desired when you have to use your running and smash pound game. Need more weight Dye. ......at least up to 222 lbs.

Re: 220 To 226 lbs Would Be A Good Weight For Dye

Mar 23, 2015, 8:15 PM

215 is a great weight for a back.

In our offense speed is more important, Ellington excelled

Mar 23, 2015, 8:26 PM [ in reply to 220 To 226 lbs Would Be A Good Weight For Dye ]

more than anybody in this offense and was sub 200.

The whole smash mouth spread theory has never been a reality for us.

Re: In our offense speed is more important, Ellington excelled

Mar 23, 2015, 9:14 PM

> more than anybody in this offense and was sub 200.
>
> The whole smash mouth spread theory has never been a
> reality for us.

Not true. We run a very similar offense to Auburn. The playcalling is...somewhat different, and it's definitely a reflection of personnel. Auburn's had great running QB's, a good OL, and good running backs. We've have live-armed guys like Tajh Boyd and Deshaun Watson and a fleet of WR's who are now busy taking over the NFL. When the "smashmouth spread" can do both - as Auburn could in 2010 with Cam Newton under center, Michael Dyer at RB, and a very good OL - you win national titles.

Ellington was very good for us because he was a great back. He was also a 1-cut, north-south, between-the-tackles guy, which is not the usual for a guy of his size. He had great acceleration but his game was very simple.

CJ Spiller, honestly, was not really a "true" RB for Clemson. He did an awesome amount of damage but a disproportionate amount of it was us getting him in space, either with short screens or circle routes or misdirection like the jet sweep. Onterrio McCaleb, in 2010, filled that role for Auburn and was a very similar player (though not quite as good.)

The way zone blocking is set up, it rewards teams that have big (or simply powerful) backs who can slash up between the tackles...because the D is already spread out, almost always in a nickel or even a dime with 5 or 6 DB's on the field, and a real solid RB who can just find that seam and work it up underneath is going to run for a steady 5+ a carry.

seems more than a bit of an injustice to any similar

Mar 23, 2015, 11:40 PM

system to run cam or tebow out as examples; 6'4"-6'5", 260 at qb isn't happening everyday; they are a world apart in terms of spread-option, zone read qbs.

also, malzahn uses a dedicated hb/fb that looks like this:

photo 14413377-mmmain_zpsf80ce616.jpg

6'1 258 lbs of angry.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/02/auburn_thinks_chandler_cox_mig.html

prosch caught 5 passes in 2013. he's there to block & to ruin the gd day of the first defender to show should they dare.

clemson has had "this guy", but instead has leaned toward a hybrid, hoping to turn ford, seckinger & leggett into a tough as nails inline blocker when they've spent most of their background on the outside. i get cu is partial to a sincere threat out of the te/hb positions, but it's a huge difference in philosophies when a guy like darrell smith didn't spend more time leading cu's rushing attack. we're wru for a reason; i'm hoping that doesn't change, but the hb/fb/te position's ability to make a difference in the running game will be paramount to realizing the "smash mouth spread".

hopefully cannon smith, milan richards, williams & chalk are getting clemson closer to a dwayne allen who seemed to enjoy being a hammer at the point of attack or leading on the edge, but could still make the magic happen in the passing game.

note: cooper was probably the best blend, but injuries hampered his production the last 2 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: seems more than a bit of an injustice to any similar

Mar 24, 2015, 4:02 AM

I agree..I would like to see us with a H-back that is more of a hybrid FB/TE than the hybrid WR/TE's we've had the last few years with players like Seckinger and Leggett...We also need a more physical O-line to run the smashmouth type spread that Auburn runs...Hopefully we've got those type guys on campus now with the class we signed in Feb.

Re: seems more than a bit of an injustice to any similar

Mar 24, 2015, 6:11 AM

Excellent posts, guys. The operative concept is the back who can run (intelligently and quickly, and without too much fuss) north-south, behind/through a strong OL nailing their targets. And gosh, that sounds so simple. But you have to appreciate the back who gains 3-4 yds just going down, heading north. Who's that guy - Gallman, Dye, Choice, Davidson, Fuller...? I guess we'll have to find out, but someone needs to provide that ugly, positive yardage on a fairly consistent basis.

Tre Mason, featured RB in Auburn's "smashmouth spread"

Mar 24, 2015, 6:33 AM [ in reply to seems more than a bit of an injustice to any similar ]

From a couple seasons ago weighs less than 210..

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2015, 3:34 AM [ in reply to Re: In our offense speed is more important, Ellington excelled ]

Not sure about the 5+ yards but agree with the other statements. Ellington was far more effective inside than C.J. He would find the smallest crease & was very quick. We rarely tried to run C.J. inside. That's why I wondered if he would have much success in the NFL. Loved to see him get outside though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2015, 9:53 AM

Spiller also had JD that took most of the load between the tackles. I think Tyshon nows what weight Tyshon should be. I dont recall anyone showing up at your sunday dinner this week telling you to pass on that extra scoop of tater salad. If Tyshon feels best at 210 im supportive. I really think he will be our #1 this year. Go Tigers

Mar 24, 2015, 11:46 AM

That was exactly what i was going to say. Some people can add weight and feel ok while others will just fell sluggish and lackluster. I can tell you that i'm the same height as Dye and when i was at 224 i felt awful. I'd ache some days in my back or knees and just felt off. When i got down to 216 I felt way better but i felt my best around 210. I think he's just trusting what his body is telling him right now and that's most important.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2015, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: In our offense speed is more important, Ellington excelled ]

You typed all of that to say what??? Nothing!!!

Mar 23, 2015, 8:56 PM [ in reply to 220 To 226 lbs Would Be A Good Weight For Dye ]

How about just get up to 221 or 221 3/4;) 222 15/32 0r 220 14/16 ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 AM [ in reply to 220 To 226 lbs Would Be A Good Weight For Dye ]

How do you know this? D@m now were b1tching about weight?

Re: Nobody Is B1tching ----

Mar 24, 2015, 9:59 AM

I do remember that 95% of us in the Tnet world wanted and needed that bigger back to make those tough yards. Well... Dye was supposed to be our big time power back that now wants to drop his weight some. Gallman is around the 210 area and he is doing okay. Most of us wanted that bigger back for the goaline situations and tough yards. The O-line has to do their part as well but a strong powerful back with a little bulk on him will also help out.

If we so happen to not score on the 1yd line or make a somewhat seemingly easy first down on short yardage situations......let's see who will be-- b-tching then as fans or so called experts.

Let it do what it do.

Re: New Story: Slimmer, healthy Tyshon Dye ready to make a name for himself

Mar 23, 2015, 11:02 PM

Lots of backs coaches on today...need a Herschel Walker? Recruit a Herschel Walker. Need a Todd Gurley? Recruit a Todd Gurley. Dye has a great skill set and good size. Can't wait to watch him this year. Spot the ball!!

Mar 24, 2015, 7:25 AM

Everybody/school needs a Herschel Walker; everybody/school needs a Todd Gurley... but those guys are genuinely hard to get. Herschel was supposed to play for Clemson, but on signing day he walked out of the Georgia recruiting trailer with a bigger suitcase full of money. Fact. (I have it on the best authority. And btw, he never ran a touchdown against Clemson.) Todd Gurley...? Hmm, well, you know how it goes, uhh.... The pisser is that Vince Dooley, and UGA, the most egregious violator(s) of NCAA recruiting rules and regulations, have never once suffered any scrutiny and/or an investigation by the NCAA for non-compliance. That is, at least, not to my knowledge....

Amazing how many TNet experts know what Dye should weigh.

Mar 24, 2015, 12:15 AM

What a bunch of tools.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 24, 2015, 2:45 AM

Tyshon, all of us are glad to see you healthy and working your way back to 100% ! Take your time, get to the weight YOU are comfortable with and run the football the way you know how to ! GO TIGERS!!!

Clicked on this story expecting to see a bunch of ppl

Mar 24, 2015, 7:09 AM

whining that 210 was too light for Dye. The experts did not disappoint!

Mar 24, 2015, 7:26 AM

I always thought that Dye's ability to make those ankle-breaking cuts were his best trait. I think his weight is fine. I just hope he can still make those cuts after all of his injuries. He can make a defender just look plain stupid when he does that.

Mar 24, 2015, 8:14 AM

210 is an ideal size for Dye, and he knows his body better than anyone else. It's not so much about being 230 pounds and getting north/south, but more about carrying a weight that makes him feel comfortable making cuts, especially after his injuries. He knows his ideal weight...one that maximizes his speed, agility and power. If we need a FB, or 220+ lb. back, we will get that in a TE or Fuller. Our running backs maintain different size/skill for a reason.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you have to account for the back and achilles

Mar 24, 2015, 10:03 AM

injuries when assessing what is a good, healthy weight for Dye. It's easy to say "oh he needs to be 220 lbs" but nobody here on Tigernet is privy to the information required to make that kind of decision. I also love when people throw out numbers like 222 lbs as if to sound like a super expert.

Personally i think he should be shooting for 209 lbs and 6 1/4 oz, but that's just me.

he & the staff know his best playing weight... there's

Mar 24, 2015, 10:34 AM

little gems here and there, this one concerned josh watson, his back issues & weight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oRJQgkRbfhU

if you go to the 1:45 mark coach brooks gives a little detail & insight into what the staff expects from the position & thoughts on 'bigger being better; it's not', but who's coach brooks anyway?

;)

Dan Brooks talks about his own weight issues?

Mar 24, 2015, 12:41 PM

That's great he feels comfortable enough to discuss a personal matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

he's the best for a reason; i imagine the open honesty

Mar 24, 2015, 12:55 PM

goes a long way.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic