Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high?

Mar 4, 2020, 12:07 AM

Around 150 cases confirmed, 9 dead!

Old, weak, obese, over medicated?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Acid rain, street justice and anti-vax moms.***

Mar 4, 2020, 12:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on your numbers ...mortality rate seems low***

Mar 4, 2020, 12:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high?

Mar 4, 2020, 12:50 AM

Probably because there are lot more cases of the virus in the U.S. but we don't know it yet because our testing rate is so far behind other countries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2020, 9:43 AM

Bull crap

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, the truth.***

Mar 5, 2020, 3:18 PM

Mar 5, 2020, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

Definitely not that reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it’s supposed to be around 2%

Mar 4, 2020, 12:54 AM

So you’re a little high at 3%. It will probably come down with a bigger sample size.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it’s supposed to be around 2%

Mar 4, 2020, 1:15 AM

Actually, according to this site, confirmed cases are 125...so I allowed some room on the sample size at 150.

If you check your math, 9 out of 150 is a whopping 6%!

Here’s the link to the latest update: https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Trying to figure how how I got 3%

Mar 4, 2020, 1:21 AM

I still think the sample size is way to small. Need closer to 1000 probably

CDC has to get more test kits out there

Mar 4, 2020, 1:24 AM

Anybody looking at the current numbers has a right to be panicked.

Re: CDC has to get more test kits out there

Mar 4, 2020, 9:12 AM

Are you panicking bro?

Are you an old fart with health conditions? If not there's little to worry about.

Mar 4, 2020, 9:14 AM [ in reply to CDC has to get more test kits out there ]

Panicking makes you more susceptible to the virus.

Mar 5, 2020, 3:43 PM [ in reply to CDC has to get more test kits out there ]

No they do not

Mar 4, 2020, 6:02 AM [ in reply to Re: it’s supposed to be around 2% ]

Most of the deaths are in Washington state from one nursing home.

Mar 4, 2020, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Re: it’s supposed to be around 2% ]

Uh , I will play along.. because none of the people who have the a Corona Virus in the USA caught it in the USA!! They went outside of the country and brought it back. Thanks To President Trump restricting Travel from China which is the epicenter of the virus the spread is still low.. I pray that it will remain that way.

so all those folks in the nursing home

Mar 4, 2020, 7:03 PM

had traveled to China?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so all those folks in the nursing home

Mar 5, 2020, 10:27 AM

Well I am old, and I do fart...but I didn’t travel to China and I’m not in a nursing home, so no reason to panic for me.

.....YET!

Mar 4, 2020, 12:58 AM

CUnext said:

According to TheRump, it's just a hoax put-out by the Democrats.

Mar 4, 2020, 7:03 AM

CUnext said:

According to TheRump, it's just a hoax put-out by the Democrats.

Not what he said but you knew that already. He must be doing a great job if you have to make stuff up for your attacks

Mar 4, 2020, 8:10 AM

He actually did say that. The context is the only debate. He did call it a hoax though.

Mar 4, 2020, 8:26 AM

Carlsbad® said:

He actually did say that. The context is the only debate. He did call it a hoax though.

He called the media portrayal the hoax which is true. Based on the stats in the last 30 days 1k Americans died of the standard flu but not a peep from the MSM

Mar 4, 2020, 8:34 AM

Because we have a vaccine for the flu. Also, the mortality rate for the flu is 0.1%. This other is 3.4% which is obviously 34 times more lethal. 1 in 1000 die from the flu. 3.4 in 100 die from this other one. One is shutting down factories, commerce, and supply chains worldwide and costing the world trillions and killing corporate profits. There will be a lot of lost jobs. 1 in 1000 wont change much behavior. 3.4 in 100 will change behavior. Apples and oranges.

Mar 4, 2020, 9:01 AM

Somehow this is Trump’s fault?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 4, 2020, 9:32 AM

Not in my mind. What more could Trump do? What's there to blame him for?

Mar 4, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

Crap more people murdered in Chicago on a good weeknight
18,000 deaths from the flu

This is the MSM hoax Trump is talking about. Dems politicize everything

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2020, 11:39 AM

True that more people die in Chicago; but they also have better pizza! See what I did there?

So, for which old, white millionaire are you going to vote?

Mar 5, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

All of your diverse candidates were not chosen to represent the "party of diversity" and "anti-establishment."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Well when an outbreak occurs at a nursing home

Mar 4, 2020, 1:34 AM

unfortunately deaths can be expected. Most everyone was way up in age or had underlying health issues. Simple explanation.

Here's my biggest issue with this

Mar 4, 2020, 2:30 AM

Officials have not said where in Wake County the infected person lives or which airport he or she used.

This is BS. All the information known needs to be out in the public.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article240850976.html

Re: Here's my biggest issue with this

Mar 4, 2020, 4:22 AM

There is a coverup right now, or at least a hindering of keeping people informed because the infant-in-chief is more concerned with the stock market than a pandemic. Gross incompetence at the wheel.

Mar 4, 2020, 6:54 AM

You really need to find a better source for you news. There is no cover up.. President Trump has done and continues to do all that can be done to combat the virus..
Did you feel the same way when it was Obama and H1N1.... you live in the greatest country in the history of the world with the greatest healthcare system in the history of the world. Be thankful

Mar 4, 2020, 7:29 AM

Please all he has done is put pressure on the fed and they cut interest rate a half of a percentage point. How many people did that cure? I'm sick of politics especially when it involves people's health.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be using hyperbole, I don't know. But if you think

Mar 4, 2020, 8:45 AM

that's all he's done, then you're wrong and you need to get your news from an unbiased source. Hth

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: You may be using hyperbole, I don't know. But if you think

Mar 4, 2020, 9:04 AM

NPR and MSNBC seem pretty legit.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 4, 2020, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Here's my biggest issue with this ]

don't try and argue with stupid - They are just so bias they refuse to see the truth if it doesn't fit their liberal agenda.

Mar 4, 2020, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Here's my biggest issue with this ]

Must be one of those indoctrinated/brainwashed students from all public schools today. They will never again in their lifetime see a better economy and work force than they have now an so they are clueless of how reality is. Why don't they drop down to a C from an A in their classes so the people that did nothing can have C too.

Mar 4, 2020, 9:06 AM

I don’t think public schools are allowed to give anything other than an A now because fairness and feelings.

Mar 4, 2020, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Here's my biggest issue with this ]

Legally i'm not sure they can just give out that person's info. Besides with all the hysteria surrounding this virus, you'd probably have some moron try burn down their house.

Re: Well when an outbreak occurs at a nursing home

Mar 4, 2020, 3:31 AM [ in reply to Well when an outbreak occurs at a nursing home ]

5 of the deaths at a Seattle area nursing home. One case in NC now linked to same nursing home.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Part of it was the nursing home...

Mar 4, 2020, 3:24 AM

The other was the fact that 60+ cases came from one cruise ship (AKA Virus incubator)

Mar 4, 2020, 5:44 AM

More than 50,000 people die from Common influenza every year. Why is no one talking a about this?

maybe we should call it the Dos Equis Influenza***

Mar 4, 2020, 5:48 AM

Mar 4, 2020, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

Because the Flu has been around and we have vaccines for the strains of it .
CV-19 is new and there's very little information on this variation of the coronavirus thus far .
As Americans , we're really into trendy new things . Especially if they're shiny .

DB23

Re: Now a reasonable counterpoint. New Flu***

Mar 4, 2020, 6:16 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2020, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

Around 50 million get the flu every year! Vaccines work really well! At least there are only around 50 thousand who die and hundreds of thousands that are hospitalized!

Mar 4, 2020, 8:19 AM

Most people that die from the flu didnt get the vaccine. Obviously the vaccine isn't full proof by any means, but the vast majority of the world do not get flu shots. Supposedly the flu shot is only just under 50% effective anyway though. Also, the studies show that the vaccine is less effective on people that get the shot every year.

Mar 4, 2020, 9:54 AM

For starters, they are guessing of which strains will be prevalent that season

Re: Exactly! And some on here have shown exactly why the.

Mar 4, 2020, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

panic. Orange man bad

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry but that argument is so dumb

Mar 5, 2020, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

If Coronavirus spreads like the flu (and we don't know yet whether or not it can, but it is remotely possible), it would likely kill 20x more people than the flu.

I'm not saying everyone should panic, but this isn't something to just scoff at and turn into dumb political points.

Mar 5, 2020, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is U.S. CV19 mortality rate so high? ]

There is a ton of MSM coverage of influenza yearly, like clockwork, especially as it starts to cool off and spread in the fall and winter. Not as much talk right now due to a disease that we know little about and have little to combat it except for hygiene, which continues to spread, and is showing itself to be 20x more deadly than the flu.

There really isn't ever a good time, or right time, to panic. It's incredibly counterproductive.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They only test people that have a bad case.***

Mar 4, 2020, 6:24 AM

Mar 4, 2020, 6:39 AM

It is more fatal for people 50+ and for those who have underlying health issues. Likely 50+ because more of that age group has health issues.

Majority of deaths in US have come from a nursery home where almost everyone is 70+ and all have some kind of health issue or compromised immune system.

There are surely hundreds if not more cases out there that weren’t tested or the person never even went to the doctor. These people would even out the math.

Mar 4, 2020, 7:05 AM

It is also doubtful the nursing home knew what they were dealing with before the deaths occurred.

Washington state officials acknowledged their state's first case just hours before the Evergreen home acknowledged five deaths.

Mar 4, 2020, 9:19 AM

There could even be other deaths around the country that could be tested posthumously doubt they will though. Dying of pneumonia, organ failure or sepsis is not super uncommon during flu season for the very high risk

anything that spreads through a nursing home...

Mar 4, 2020, 7:21 AM

...full of people already close to death is going to produce a higher mortality rate.

State of Washington needs $$$ cut from protecting ILLEGALS

Mar 4, 2020, 7:31 AM

Face it, that Gov has sued the Prez and lied at every turn

Mar 4, 2020, 8:00 AM

I thought about saying “go vomit your left wing garbage down some other sewer populated with others like you whose goal is to sew division and engender hatred in another left wing echo chamber” but then I thought it’s just too early in the morning so I’ll say “Go Tigers! Beat Va Tech!“

Because the virus hit a nursing home in Washington

Mar 4, 2020, 8:30 AM

State and the virus spread among already weak patients.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Mar 4, 2020, 8:39 AM

Yes....

Can you imagine what that would do the population ? 9/150... or real estate ?

Go Tigers

the virus preys on the weak

Mar 4, 2020, 8:57 AM

I have many plants in china and have tracked.

very few deaths have been to reasonably healthy people.
chinas data is going to be different than ours in the long run. in Wuhan - and for that matter - china in general - they do not have the level of medical support and sanitary conditions we have in the states. smog, eating habits, water, etc - all will deteriorate your health.
approx 20% of the china deaths (about 3k) are aged 50-60.
30% - 60-70
30% - 70+
very few have been to children.
virtually everyone that has died (not all) - has been sickly already in their life.

of the deaths in washington state - 4 were in a nursing home - thus older and weaker.

many of the deaths are also directly passed on from wuhan where the virus started.

normal flu is about 1% - although generally not addressed by the media.

the current thought on coronavirus is about 2.2% when most of the people are added. some pockets of higher - but that may be because they came straight from wuhan or the number of cases is still developing.

while it is an issue - no doubt - it is not a plague and the media is going a bit overboard. the last expectation i read was that the virus will end up hitting 70% of the world population. all will not be sick, and a small percentage of the weak unfortunately, will be critical.

wash your hands.
dont touch your mouth or eyes.

live your life. be smart - but you cant hide from it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the virus preys on the weak

Mar 4, 2020, 9:46 AM

clemzn1981 said:

normal flu is about 1% - although generally not addressed by the media.

The annual flu typically has a mortality rate of around 0.1% in the U.S.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html

Mar 4, 2020, 10:24 AM

yes, and no on the .1%.

for the usa - you are correct.
worldwide - it is much higher than that. there are 39 countries that are over 1%.
it is really difficult to find the "right" number. reporting in many countries is very sketchy and in many cases hidden.
best estimate is 650,000 die annually by flu.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: the virus preys on the weak ]

Thanks for sharing. It is such a novel idea to post facts in a thread where so many seem so unencumbered by the thought process and just blame and politicize.

Bottom line for me:
Mortality rate for Covid 19 is higher than flu.
"Spreadibility" (R0) looks higher than the flu.
This is very early in the spread, so we don't have a lot of data; measurement and classification techniques have changed and a very specific subset of the population in the US is over-represented in the data.
Is that a fair representation of the article?

sample size you have is too low***

Mar 4, 2020, 9:40 AM

Mar 4, 2020, 9:47 AM

Because it hit a nursing home in Washington - They account for most of the US deaths

That's Ok, AOC said we have 12 years (11 now I think) left

Mar 4, 2020, 9:50 AM

Anyways...

Re: That's Ok, AOC said we have 12 years (11 now I think) left

Mar 4, 2020, 9:55 AM

lol

The last stats I saw reflected six (6) deaths...

Mar 4, 2020, 10:42 AM

and most of the deaths occurred at the EvergreenHealth hospital in Washington state. All but one of the deceased were in the 70 to 80 year old range.

At least three of the people who died had been living at the same nursing facility that is now suspected of being the site of America's first outbreak of the coronavirus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Mar 4, 2020, 11:47 AM

I want to see actual numbers of the age group. I'd bet good money those people are 60 or older (at least 60%

It largely affects/infects the elderly and infirm-

Mar 4, 2020, 6:32 PM

-people already in poor health. It would be interesting to see how many of the same demographic would meet their demise from the "regular" flu. It might be pretty much the same. IMHO.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:29 AM

There are MANY more cases not confirmed.

Mar 11, 2012, 4:10 PM

Because 8 of those were all in one nursing home with average age over 80 years so many already had health issues. That's the same kind of rate for regular flu in nursing homes.

We don't really know the true mortality rate

Mar 5, 2020, 3:51 PM

The figures given are typically just a % of confirmed cases. The actual number of cases is much higher due to testing limitations and mild cases that likely resemble a cold.

How bad this gets in the US will really depend on the transmission of the virus. If it becomes widespread it has the potential to just overload our health system because many serious cases require hospitalization and breathing assistance. I read the other day that we only have like 50,000 of those machines in hospitals across the US with something like 10,000 more in reserve. It's not easy to get more of these and they are also very expensive and require trained personnel on staff around the clock to monitor.

So if we can keep the virus relatively under control our health care system should keep the mortality rate fairly low (possibly 1% or less), but if this thing sweeps across the country and number of people needing assistance surpasses the number that our healthcare system can handle, it could be much, much worse.

Just practice good hygiene. Wash your hands / use hand sanitizer, disinfect things that are more likely to pick up germs, shave off your flavor (or coronavirus) saver, etc.

Mar 5, 2020, 4:35 PM

that's roughly 5%, but keep in mind there are thousands of people here who've contracted it but have shown either no symptoms, or symptoms that were simply passed off as cold or flu.

Mar 5, 2020, 7:31 PM

Exactly right. There are probably many thousands more people walking around with the disease right now who are either asymptomatic, or they had what they thought was a cold or flu.

Saw an interview on Canadian television of a lady in Portland, OR. She said she never felt that bad, and would never had known she had it if she had not been tested. She was only tested because she was on a cruise ship on which there was a confirmed outbreak.

Sometimes common sense just goes out the window. TDS will do that.

Message was edited by: TigerOmally®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2020, 8:09 PM

Pediatrician here. We honestly have absolutely no idea what the true mortality rate is because we have no idea how many people have the infection. Right now the only people being tested are the sickest of the sick. The vast majority of people with COVID-19 have mild to moderate illness or may even be completely asymptomatic. Until we have more access to the test and are able to test a broader range of patients, we will have no idea of the true mortality rate. What we have now is a numerator without a denominator. But it is very safe to say that the true mortality rate is far lower than the rates currently being reported. And the true total infection rate is far higher than the rates currently being reported. That said, wash your hands and stay home if you're sick! Go Tigers!

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic