Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Clemson in-state tuition so high?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 301

Why is Clemson in-state tuition so high?

Jul 5, 2019, 11:28 AM

Clemson's in-state tuition rate is twice the cost of Florida/FSU, greater than UGA, and closer to much higher academic ranked schools like UVA or Michigan.

Does SC just provide far less funding to schools than other states?

http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/costs-financial-aid.html

In-State Tuition & fees (excludes room, board, books, maintenance, etc):
Clemson $15,374
UofSC $12,738
UF $6,380
FSU $6,516
UNC $9,018
NC State $9,100
Bama $11,580
Texas $11,852
Auburn $12,012
UGA $12,080
Maryland $13,635
California $13,900
Mich $15,262-$17,188
UVA $17,872
PennSt $18,454

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Clemson in-state tuition so high?

Jul 5, 2019, 11:34 AM

Because our legislature has cut funding over the years. They collect lottery money which is supposed to go to education, but they sneakily find a way to come up with other undisclosed purposes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2019, 11:44 AM

It's obvious the State Legislature used the education money to fix the roads throughout our great state. NOT!! Where is the money going?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2019, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Clemson in-state tuition so high? ]

Quality education plus, as mentioned above, the politicians used free education through the lottery as an excuse to get the lottery started. Now its just a checking account for these same politicians for their pet projects.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2019, 11:57 AM

Yep - 2000 ... a sad commentary on our state legislature ....-:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 5, 2019, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is Clemson in-state tuition so high? ]

The lottery money doesn't go directly to the colleges, but gets there through scholarships. Those scholarships reduce the in-state cost, but the students have to maintain grades or something. Much better than giving it straight to the school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia has lower tuition and higher HOPE scholarship $$$

Jul 5, 2019, 1:45 PM

SC has cut the % coverage of tuition from their scholarships too. Used to cover a lot more than it does now.

Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 AM

I’ve been an administrator in the Ga University system for many years and I can tell that the state of Georgia supports higher education at a much higher rate than S.C. and that means the costs are passed on to the students. As an example the state of S.C. supports the Dental College at MUSC at a rate of less than 10% of their budget while GA provides about 50% of the budget at the Dental College of Georgia in Augusta. The result is that students going to MUSC pay about double the tuition as dental students attending DCG.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2019, 1:05 PM

For UGA, the state provides about one-third of the operating cost, $480 million out of 1.5 billion. To be comparable to the dental school, you'd want to subtract out the $140 million athletic department budget from the 1.5 billion.

SC used to provide about 1/3 also, but it's down to 10% for Clemson and less than that for USC. Clemson gets around 110 million on a 1.0 billion budget. USC gets a little less for a somewhat bigger budget.

Jul 5, 2019, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is Clemson in-state tuition so high? ]

And as a result I believe MUSC has the highest instate tuition if any public dental school in the entire country. And here are almost no real scholarships for dental school. Without help from parents a MUSC graduating dentist has $250k or more in debt - not counting any undergraduate debt. Ponder on that when you wonder why dental care is so expensive.

Jul 5, 2019, 12:01 PM

SC covers less than 10% of Clemson's operating costs. Yet I'm sure they assume 100% control.

Out of State is where it gets really fun. It's more than double. So the less than 10% isn't the reason.

It's supply and demand like any other business. Not the charter to educate the people of SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

There is a Palmetto Scholarship that most in-state kids

Jul 5, 2019, 1:03 PM

appear to qualify for - top 10% in HS class with a 27+ ACT. (If you don't have that - you probably didn't get accepted into Clemson.)

Does anyone know how much that is? It would seem to offset a little of the high tuition...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a Palmetto Scholarship that most in-state kids

Jul 5, 2019, 1:22 PM

5k. My son qualified for it last year. In state at Clemson runs about 30k per year with all the fees, room and board, books etc. maybe a little more. Better than anything out of State but it’s certainly not cheap.

Jul 5, 2019, 1:09 PM

one simple reason. Republicans took over the legislature in the early 80's and cut basic services, like supplementing the state universities, to the bone. Sorry, I know that sounds like partisan, and I admittedly loathe everything about the Republican party, but when I was a sophomore back in 1986, I cut a check for 2800 bucks for 18 credit hours at Clemson. I assume that would run 20,000 dollars, or a 600% gain. And no, that isn't a normal inflation jump. That's state taxes that got siphoned off so some parasitic day trader down on St. James could install the olympic heated pool. Can you tell I'm basically a communist? Well, probably now, yes, you can....

Jul 5, 2019, 1:39 PM

Since you went political, maybe we are using the funds to pay for illegal immigrants tuition

Jul 5, 2019, 3:17 PM

Actually, that has been a very public and accurate description of the conservative platform since the Reagan to the new "Newt" '92+ Republican onward. It became even more acute since 2010 and follows the Brownback-style government reduction. Your taxes are lower if you own property/capital but beyond that ... well... you are not going to get a break elsewhere either.

It come to a point where you can't cut more and get results. So decades of 'cut government' within a single party control that basically has every election cycle to promise to cut more than the last and not adjust for inflation, etc. Reagan - Good, Newt -errr, ok - 2010 -###. Can't really blame that on the libs. Wasn't their boat nor were they at the tiller. So it is like a diet, good to trim the fat but it has gotten to the point where a diet becomes unhealthy.

Reducing government waste/spending is all well and good sometimes but since we know SC isn't paving any roads, building schools or hiring teachers. It shows. Own one's decisions, you can't push the consequences on one's own actions onto the other group as a scapegoat.

The legislature can’t spend any money on that stuff

Jul 5, 2019, 9:18 PM

Jul 5, 2019, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is Clemson in-state tuition so high? ]

While our stupid good old boy government does spend the money elsewhere that is only a fraction of the college tuition problem in SC. Look at a year to year comparison of state funding since 2000 when it’s being slashed and state funding going up; you’ll see tuition went up regardless.

Go take a stroll through CofC, Clemson or even the dumpster fire cooterville and see if you recognize it anymore. Our schools have been hell bent on updating themselves to compete for out of state students and prestige spending millions of dollars on everything but education. It’s a broken system from the idiots in office, to the idiots running the schools all on tax payers tabs. They’re run like the government. Idiots regardless of their party.

Our schools have caught up to other states around us but at the expense of South Carolinians and not really to our advantage since they’ve priced out most of our citizens. Which those schools are there to educate in the first place.

Jul 5, 2019, 9:27 PM

Absolutely correct. A much better job could be done by the Universities with the funds they have. Administrative costs are out of control as well as over the top spending on buildings etc.

Jul 5, 2019, 1:36 PM

The State support we down when the the lottery passed. the legislature assume that lottery scholarships would make up the difference...faulty math as not every student keeps he scholarship....USC is lower because they enrolled more students.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the last figures I saw---and this was several years ago

Jul 5, 2019, 2:44 PM

the state of SC provided about 7% of Clemson's operating budget.....which induced a vigorous discussion of Clemson becoming a private school so it could establish a Vet school, dental school, law school, etc, all of which have been nixed by the power brokers from the lowstate and the midlands--usually before they became submitted legislation...the most recent push to increase Clemson's endowment may have pushed the discussion even farther.....and leaving the state educational system after all these years of minimal taxpayer funding would be the most contentious piece of legislature since the long, stupid fight to maintain segregation and insure a significant part of our taxpaying population remained second class citizens.

South Carolina has a long history of underfunding education and remains at the bottom of the country in nearly every measurable quality....the roots of which, sadly, run deep in the forests of racism, bible belt austerity, and corruption. The status of elementary and secondary education in SC has long been an embarrassment.

& In case any are wondering, I am a born and bred SC native

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2019, 2:58 PM

Capitalism

lol....***

Jul 5, 2019, 3:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol....***

Jul 5, 2019, 3:34 PM

Workers of the world, UNITE!!!

Jul 5, 2019, 4:16 PM

Costs with the add ons for in state are around 27k .

That K is not silent , and it ain't for kosher .

DB23

Jul 5, 2019, 4:52 PM

Hey Hort, remove your Obama sticker from your bumper. You started this !!!

They raised tuition in '18 despite increased funding from the state

Jul 5, 2019, 6:00 PM

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article215172915.html

So, is 7% the difference between

Jul 5, 2019, 6:15 PM

A public and a private university? That's a lot of 'power' for minimal contribution.

Presumably, it costs no more to educate an out-of-state student than an in-state one...so, on the premise that in-state tuition/add-ons are 'profitable', wouldn't out-of-state be more profitable?

My son went to Oregon...it wasn't cheap. I'm stunned to see Clemson's in-state total costs are comparable to going cross-country. Granted, that was 10-15 years ago, but jeebus!

What I've NEVER understood is why college is four years. There was scarcely anything my freshman year I hadn't already had or touched upon in high school. It would seem the curricula requirements are wrong...and expensive.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They raised tuition in '18 despite increased funding from the state

Jul 5, 2019, 8:40 PM [ in reply to They raised tuition in '18 despite increased funding from the state ]

dont bring reason here, Democrats will just get triggered more

Jul 5, 2019, 7:39 PM

Ask your elected leaders.

They will probably tell you they spent that on the roads. No those are #### too.

Must be the schools. Those are improving but still mediocre at best.

On teachers? oh that's right they just rioted so I guess not.

DMV? hahaha ok that was obviously a joke.

But we get low taxes? NOPE

Well #### who is benefiting? Why do we keep electing the same guys for #### product? What is government run and elite in this state? Nothing

Only entity that get good breaks here are major corporations getting huge tax breaks. Something the state should be proud of!!! -_-

Georgia Tech is just over $10k for in-state students

Jul 5, 2019, 8:36 PM

$10,258 for the 2019-2020 school year. Heck of a deal there

Republican ran Bible Belt state for decades and is bottom in education rankings

Jul 5, 2019, 9:43 PM

Posters blame Democrats for the outcome in this thread, hilarious.

Re: Georgia Tech is just over $10k for in-state students

Jul 5, 2019, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Georgia Tech is just over $10k for in-state students ]

Ok, I'm a little late to this post, but I just need to share... I enrolled In Clemson in August of 1973 as an out-of-state student. My dad had given me a blank check to the Bursar's office for tuition, room and board for the first semester, and I actually trembled writing this check for just a little less than $1,100 bucks - and that was exactly HALF the cost of an in-state student at the time! Ok, this was a little over 45 years ago, and I get it, but geez, do that math today! With a National Merit Scholarship, and a 1200 on the SAT (the SAT is not was it used to be), I'd never get into Clemson today. But I got the best education available in the United States, not to mention the experience second to none.

Go Tigers!!!

Replies: 32
| visibility 301
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic