Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force

Dec 27, 2019, 9:34 AM

when Clemson has made mincemeat of these types of players for years now? I assume it’s just parroted repeatedly so John Q. Public can associate a headliner name with OSU’s brand. Why aren’t we hearing more about how Ryan Day intends to scheme around Clemson’s deadly offensive AND defensive threats?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force

Dec 27, 2019, 9:37 AM

Because he has been awesome and is a great player. He will be top 3 pick in the NFL draft.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force

Dec 27, 2019, 9:40 AM

Carlsbad, I have appreciated your comments in the various threads. I'm glad someone on here has enough sense to get an opinion from an author outside of TN, or watch games and use their eyeballs.

Also, have you seen what Joey and Nick Bosa have done? That's what Chase Young has done too. Similar to Clowney but also has a motor that Clowney didn't show at the end of his college career.

That's not to say Dabo can't scheme Young, but Young is a mismatch for almost any O lineman and even if he's not sacking the QB he is changing the way your offense plays.

Let me put it in terms your might understand, OP, he's our Isaiah Simmons.

Problem is BV He is a draft wrecker***

Dec 27, 2019, 9:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2019, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

Yep he is a game changer. I wish we had him. Our co starter on one side I dont think would get much playing time aside from mop up on your team from what I have seen. Logan Rudolph. You guys have a better DL. I like our team better everywhere else though.

Dec 27, 2019, 9:50 AM

When you say everywhere else do you mean OL vs OL, or OL vs DL/DBs vs WRs?

Dec 27, 2019, 9:56 AM

QB, WR, LB, RB, secondary slightly, our OL is as good, coaching. Then again it's splitting hairs in some areas. You gus could be better in certain areas, but I am confident in those areas. Our only weaknesses that I have noticed are the DL, who has potential, but is vulnerable, our kicker who has potential but misses short ones, and our punter sucks. I feel confident in our team. I think you guys have a great team too. I think it will come down to how we do stopping your run and the turnovers by either team. 34-31 Clemson wins of course.

Dec 27, 2019, 10:54 AM

Here's my take on a 10 scale:
QB: Clem 9.5 - 8.5

RB: I'm gonna say push, but that's really b/c of the OL. I really, really like ETN so I could absolutely see him get more yards that Dobbins. 9-9. One thing I would mention is that Dobbins has caughed it up a couple time this year, in critical situations. That does make me a little nervous.

WR: Clemson 9.5-9. You are probably asking yourself why OSU is a 9. I think CU's WRs are extremely talented, but I also like OSUs depth and experience, which is how I got a 9.
TE: OSU 7-6.5 I admit this is where I know CU least. They do get their main TE from suspension, and our three that rotate are all talented.

OL: I see OSU as better here 8.5-7.5/8. It's not far apart, but I think this is what will separate Dobbins and ETN.

Off Coaching: Clemson 9.5-8.5 They've been together longer, here before, and scheme things up well. I think OSU could be a 9, but to me it's unknown because this offensive coaching staff hasn't been to this big stage yet before.

DBs: OSU 9.5-8.5 Like your WRs OSU boasts two 1st rounders in Wade and Okudah, and a 2/3 rounder in Arnette. Fuller likely a 2nd rounder. Your CBs are great, but your safeties, especially Muse is not quite at the level of your corners. Still very good, and experienced.

LBs: Weakness of both teams. Simmons and Malik Harrison are a lot alike - extremely athletic, can thump, make huge plays. The rest of the LBs leave something to be desired. I'll give Clemson the edge because of Simmons 6.5-6. Simmons and Harrison account for at 4 out of the 6.5/6.

DL: OSU 9.5-8.5 Chase Young is clearly the headliner here, but the depth of OSU is pretty strong as well. BV has had to change up the scheme to account for the dropoff in DL which should tell you all you need to know about the ceiling for Clemson's DL.

Def Coaching: Clemson 9.9-9 BV. Enough said.

Special teams: OSU 8-6. There are a lot of hidden yards here. And don't forget, in 2013 OSU was up 9 in the 4th when we muffed a punt. If that doesn't happen (yes, I know, ifs and buts), OSU likely wins that game. But it did, and special teams will likely play a huge role in this game.

These teams A LOT alike. As you can see, I'm not a huge homer, I have Clemson better at both coaching slots, QB, WR, and LBs, push at RB, and close in a couple other spots. But this is how I see the breakdown of position groups.

Dec 27, 2019, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

I can appreciate the parallels, SCB, but I know by experience upon triumphant experience that Tony Elliot absorbs a body blow like Young in order to land a right hook like Etienne, Ross, Higgins, Lawrence’s legs, Rodgers, Ngata, etc etc etc for 6 points. All. Game. Long.

To the tune of 44-16 earlier this year, actually.

I love competitive football and OSU has the best chance of competing against Clemson this season, but I love the matchup and our odds...

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Dec 27, 2019, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

Which Bosa was it that played for y'all in 2016 ??

Dec 27, 2019, 11:40 AM

Nick as a Freshman.

Dec 27, 2019, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

Where was he for the first half against Wisconsin????????????????????????????????? Where was he last football season, because I had never heard of him until about the 6th game of this season?!

We beat osu when they had Joey bosa ...

Dec 27, 2019, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

Young is good but he is just one player

Dec 27, 2019, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

Agreed - he’s a great player.

Problem is I don’t hear much elaboration on Day’s plan to lead his TEAM to victory and avoid the glaring multi-position pitfalls that are staring him right in his Buckeye face.

We can scheme around Young - we’re built for that. Not so sure OSU can scheme around us...

GO TIGERS

Dec 27, 2019, 9:45 AM

I've listened to three different Buckeye podcasts and all of them talk about the issues Clemson presents, and how we might counter them. Just because TN doesn't write an article about it doesn't mean Day hasn't talked about it.

Second, so you really think a highly paid coach at one of the 5 best jobs in the country is just not gonna try to scheme up and stop Clemson? Or do you think he's just gonna come out and tell how he thinks he might do that?

Dec 27, 2019, 10:10 AM

I’m certainly not insinuating that he won’t try – he’s a coach, for heaven’s sake! I’m also not suggesting he should publicly trumpet every detail of his game plan to the media.

I guess the disparity that I’m highlighting here is the fact that analysts have much more material to break down on Chase Young’s individual performances in games versus Ryan Day’s game planning and coaching moves to account for an elite level opponent. Admittedly, our coaching staff has not been challenged by an elite level opponent all season either, but their history and pedigree provide plenty of in-game examples of their ability to accommodate generational talent on the opposing side of the ball. Day has not had as many examples to establish such a pedigree to this point, but I’m surprised media personalities don’t spend more time talking up his coaching ability, scheme adjustments, etc.

GO TIGERS

Dec 27, 2019, 10:59 AM

That's fair. I just made the point above about our coaches not coaching at the biggest stage yet like the Clemson coaches have. It certainly will be an issue.

I will highlight the TTUN and Wiscy games. In all three the Buckeyes started a bit slow but then poured it on in the 2nd half, via halftime adjustments.

2nd half performances:
Wiscy 1: 28-7
TTUN: 28-11
Wiscy 2: 27-0

Combined 83-18.

No doubt, Clemson is a different animal.

Dec 27, 2019, 11:13 AM

That is true, but much of those second half performances were because the opposing defenses were gassed from their one dimensional offenses failing to move the ball and constantly putting their defense back on the field.

That is one of the biggest differences in this game. Clemson's offense will move the ball and keep the defense fresh. Clemson also has better depth at defense than those other teams.

Dec 27, 2019, 11:18 AM

I think that's a fair point. I would also say those three teams have some of the three best statistical defenses, so it's not like we haven't seen decent (not great) defenses.

However, what's good for the goose is good for the gander - the stats compiled by Clemson all year is against far inferior competition.

This is a huge part of the game that I think has gone overlooked. Starting field position, momentum shifts, made/missed FGs. This was such a big part of the 2016 game. Had OSU been able to convert a FG or both in that first half I think the overall feel of the game would have been different - meaning it would have been 24-13, not 31-0. DW also threw two picks, so that could have changed things more in your favor, obviously, but field position will play a huge factor in the outcome tomorrow night.

I get it...but as clemson fans we've heard it every year

Dec 27, 2019, 11:34 AM

https://youtu.be/_ad-UTXjH0A

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 27, 2019, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

Just like Queenie Williams last year for Alabama...made up by the media...regular folk hero bigger than life....He is all good but about the fourth quarter when Williams dobber was in the dirt he was uncovered for what he was...a 'pigment' of their imagination...Mitch Hyatt dispatched him and Hyatt went so low in the draft he was a freebie...queenie got the big bucks for sucking oxygen on the sidelines!

Dec 27, 2019, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Chase Young venerated as some kinda Terminator-style unstoppable force ]

You should re-watch the BIG10 CG. It was late in the 4th before #2 showed up and actually did anything. He will be neutralized and will NOT be a factor. OSU had better hope Fields brings his "A" game, or it's curtains for them early and often.

Dec 27, 2019, 11:33 AM

You should re-watch the BIG10 CG. It was late in the 4th before #2 showed up and actually did anything. He will be neutralized and will NOT be a factor. OSU had better hope Fields brings his "A" game, or it's curtains for them early and often.

Can you post the link? for B10CG. all I see on YouTube is the abridged 1 hour version without replays? B10 has pulled all games except NEB

Sterling Shepard was so supposed to challenge

Dec 27, 2019, 9:39 AM

Mac Alexander for the first time all season...we saw how that turned out.

JT Barrett was "much better than Braxton Miller from a few years ago" but couldn't orchestrate a scoring drive against the Tigers.

Renfrow wasn't gonna be able to handle future first round draft picks 2-3 years in a row.

Lawrence wasn't gonna be able to handle the pressure from the best front 7 of all time last year.

It's just part of the stuff that makes it that much better when we lay the smackdown.

Re: Sterling Shepard was so supposed to challenge

Dec 27, 2019, 9:41 AM

JT Barrett was "much better than Braxton Miller from a few years ago" but couldn't orchestrate a scoring drive against the Tigers.

Huh????

Dec 27, 2019, 9:44 AM

What are you confused about?

https://www.google.com/search?q=clemson+vs+ohio+state+2016&oq=clemson+vs+ohio+state+2016&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.5366j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11c5wm1mbt;6;/m/012hfxch;dt;fp;1;;

Dec 27, 2019, 9:46 AM

Who in their right mind thought JT was a much better player than Braxton? Literally no one thought that.

Dec 27, 2019, 9:59 AM

Apparently about 43% of your fans voting on this website below when asked who was the "OSU QB of the Decade".

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2019/12/17/21026061/ohio-state-football-all-decade-team-quarterback-braxton-miller-jt-barrett

Dec 27, 2019, 10:04 AM

That's because he basically played the entire decade!

Braxton was young in 2011, and lit it up in 2012 (undefeated, but no postseason bc of the ban) and then played really well in 2013 but lost to MSU and y'all. Braxton was better than JT but didn't reach the heights that JT did. I think that's where that poll comes from.

Dec 27, 2019, 10:44 AM

Guess that is your opinion.

Its probably the dreadlocks***

Dec 27, 2019, 9:41 AM

Dec 27, 2019, 9:46 AM

Amazing his suspension fell on their two easiest games of the year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2019, 10:01 AM

What's amazing is you can take a "loan" from a known sports agent and allegedly repay it and get suspended 2 games, yet you get a whole year for allegedly failing a drug test for PEDs right before the playoffs even though you have tested clean every time before it and since.

He's a heckuva player...but what annoyed me was...

Dec 27, 2019, 9:50 AM

how he is billed as accomplishing something that we haven't seen in quite some time...in terms of dominance. You only have to look back to last year at Josh Allen at KY who played multiple positions and generated better stats than Young....probably against better competition and was a lock for a top 10 pick..probably should have gone 4th to the Raiders (no offense to Clelin).

Young is very good though and will cause us some problems...Lawrence it pretty crafty and hard to bring down so he'll make plays and move the pocket with his feet, but I expect Young to get in there and cause havoc more than a few times.

Dec 27, 2019, 9:53 AM

TBH - he's a physically gifted player and has done well this season. Will be fun to see how he matches up with our guys.

Dec 27, 2019, 10:07 AM

Even sports media follows the same trends as does the "mainstream" media. They live in a bubble and attempt to put out, in priority order, 1) what they believe the masses want to hear, 2) what gets ratings (sensationalism and click bait), 3) fodder for a few fringe groups, 4) truth, 5) facts.

Unfortunately, truth is subjective to media types. Facts are stats and scores that generally cannot be debated.

Dec 27, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quennin Williams was going to single handedly destroy our lousy offensive line last season and he gave up sometime in the second quarter without having any impact whatsoever. This guy may be different but there's no reason for us to believe it til we see it.

Dec 27, 2019, 7:41 PM

He’s good, I’m not going to take away from that (or that mysterious pile of money he was gifted or gave back..)

But - I heard 3 different times during the Penn State game “Chase Young is the greatest football player of all time”...

Please - he’s good, he’s no legend. To make a statement like that is a slap in the face of the Mannings, Favres, Watts and those that literally are savants, and have dedicated their lives, when it comes to the game.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic