Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why hasn't "American" football caught on worldwide?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Why hasn't "American" football caught on worldwide?

Jul 8, 2019, 6:38 PM

From the tone of most of the poasters on these boreds, general agreement is that soccer (English football) is about as exciting as watching paint dry. (A view I happen to share, but not germain to this conversation :) ) But, we are very passionate about our football, be it college or professional. The NFL has started trying to make inroads in Europe, and there have already been college games abroad.

Comparing the two games, soccer and real football, seems like it would be a no-brainer that American football would take over. So, question is, why has it not happened? The big stadiums are there, potential fans are obviously there.

Possibly they are afraid of getting too involved? After all, let's face it, if you make such a ruckus that you collapse a soccer stadium over THAT boring game, you would probably go completely out of your gourd seeing the action from real, live "Amurican" football. So, it may be just safety / self preservation that has kept soccer going instead of real football outside this country. Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why hasn't "American" football caught on worldwide?

Jul 8, 2019, 6:56 PM

When you have a "sport" banned in 1365 by a King, US football has a long way to catch up. It's a shame the King's ban didn't stay enforced! lol

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 8:54 PM

Because the best athletes in every country but America plays soccer. This is the same reason we are not good at soccer. Our best athletes play football. For now, but the tide is even turning in America as better athletes are playing soccer. Mommies are not letting little Johnny play football because some people who want to tell us what to do are saying football causes brain injuries. Football as we know it may be gone in a generation.

Jul 8, 2019, 9:15 PM

some people who want to tell us what to do are called scientists, and they do things like cut people up when they die so that they can figure out things like "wow, this football player's brain looks like somebody took it out a couple of times a week and beat the **** out of it." And that's why parents rightly don't really want their kids to end up suiciding in their mid-30's because they're suffering from severe depression and can't remember how to get back to their house after grocery shopping.

Jul 8, 2019, 10:20 PM

This guy sits down to pee.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2019, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Why hasn't "American" football caught on worldwide? ]

When I was in first grade, they told me that the world would be out of gas by 2000 and that we'd all be on the metric system in a few years.

Football isn't going anywhere and no one in America over the age of 10 give a d@mn about soccer.

It is as popular in England as Premeir League is in America

Jul 8, 2019, 6:59 PM

and probably a little more.

Multiple pubs are dedicated to NFL teams and have large gameday watching parties.

There are hundreds of University teams across England. The Bucs league is the most popular though most are about as popular as American High School football.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/american-footballs-growing-popularity-u-k/

The same is true of other countries in Europe such as Spain.

There are many club teams though obviously there is nothing such as an NFL type of professional team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Check out the score of this game yesterday in the UK..

Jul 8, 2019, 7:42 PM

https://scorestream.com/game/kent-vs-london-2645562

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Many futbol fans find football boring because of

Jul 8, 2019, 7:02 PM

The constant breaks In gameplay.

They'd rather see a ball constantly kicked back and forth than watch breaks every 25 seconds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Many futbol fans find football boring because of

Jul 8, 2019, 9:45 PM

Hard to argue with that. I love both, ofcourse football mire, but soccer is not boring.

Jul 8, 2019, 7:09 PM

American football is an expensive sport to play and organize. Soccer can be played in a village in the African bush with next to no cost.

Jul 8, 2019, 7:10 PM

Simple. Money. It cost a whole lot more to field a football team versus a soccer team. Any kid in the world can play soccer if they have a round ball. The pads, helmet, etc make football cost prohibitive.

dont think it's 100% that simple

Jul 8, 2019, 7:54 PM

For instance baseball is more expensive than soccer and is way more popular in places like Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela than soccer is.

not a good argument. Kids in the Dominican play with sticks

Jul 8, 2019, 11:53 PM

And homemade gloves.

The cost of football is WAY more expensive than baseball. It’s 40-50 players in full equipment.

Baseball just needs gloves and they don’t need the depth of a football team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The answer is simple...

Jul 8, 2019, 7:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

What you talkin' 'bout, Francis?!?!***

Jul 9, 2019, 12:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 8, 2019, 7:18 PM

Some obvious reasons.

Zero history of the sport anywhere else but the USA

Jul 8, 2019, 7:20 PM

there is no understanding of the culture, rules, strategy, coaching, conditioning etc in other countries. It would take ages to catch up as football is a complex sport, something that Europeans don't really realize.

For whatever reason there was never any effort made by Americans to spread football the same way that we spread baseball to latin America and Japan, or basketball to Europe and China etc.

Re: Zero history of the sport anywhere else but the USA

Jul 8, 2019, 9:18 PM

Lol, yeah that’s all uniquely American

I mean football versions of all that

Jul 8, 2019, 9:38 PM

of course not those concepts as a whole

Cuz Eurotrash and Asianjunk's Gene Pools Were Decimated in

Jul 8, 2019, 7:25 PM

WWII and they only can play lame flopping sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, aren't most Duke basketball players white Americans?***

Jul 9, 2019, 12:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

From what I've heard from some European friends of mine

Jul 8, 2019, 7:36 PM

is that most of them don't like the constant stoppages in American football. Soccer matches basically have two non-stop halves with few stoppages and no commercial breaks.

We are rich in America and can afford to play football

Jul 8, 2019, 7:42 PM

our poor people are fat and have smart phones

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are rich in America and can afford to play football

Jul 9, 2019, 7:38 AM

So if I get rid of my smart phone and win the lottery, I will no longer be fat? My cardiologist is buying me a lottery ticket when he hears the good news.

Jul 8, 2019, 8:42 PM

Most men in European countries are too effeminate to play football. That's why.

Jul 8, 2019, 9:20 PM

You ever watched a rugby match, Einstein?

Jul 8, 2019, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Why hasn't "American" football caught on worldwide? ]

Now rugby is definitely a contact sport

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Possibly for the same reason that Europeans

Jul 8, 2019, 9:11 PM

...require NATO to keep Russia at bay.

They're kind of soft over there. :)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 9:16 PM

I’ve seen plenty of boring football games. Quite honestly if you don’t have a rooting interest, football can be terrible to watch, and that’s the opinion of many people I spoken to when abroad. My ex wife’s family were mostly British and they think American football is just dreadful. But then again, they like Cricket which is equally dreadful game. Who knows, to each their own. If you don’t like soccer, don’t watch it, nobody cares

Simple. It's equipment costs a lot more money than

Jul 8, 2019, 10:11 PM

just a ball and two goals.

A lot more complicated also, with typically many more coaches.

Most of the world's children simply can't play real football.

Re: Simple. It's equipment costs a lot more money than

Jul 9, 2019, 7:42 AM

FWIW: UAB discontinued their football program a few years ago due to the cost of medical procedures that their hospital provided. The people insisted that they restore the program in spite of those costs though.

Jul 8, 2019, 11:34 PM

Football is a game of strategy and intelligence much more so than soccer. Most of the world simply lacks the intelligence to play football well. Doesn’t take a genius to kick a ball into the net. American exceptionalism wins again.

LOL***

Jul 9, 2019, 8:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Because 3rd world countries can't afford to buy equipment.

Jul 9, 2019, 8:05 AM

When all you need to practice is a ball everyone gets to play free. Baseball? You need a stick to go with the ball. Basketball? You need a hoop and a tree or the side of a building.

Football? No, rugby.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2019, 9:32 AM

Like many have said, cost is a big one. Yes, at the playground level all you need is a ball and a field for both, but that's still all you really need even at the pro level for soccer where football has much more gear and a lot more players and specialized positions. So in poorer countries, something like soccer may be all kids have access to throughout their entire childhood.

Another issue is that the pace of the game is pretty unattractive to a lot of the world that's used to soccer, and I can't really argue that point. If I'm watching Clemson or the Panthers, I'm invested in the outcome and I'm paying attention to all of it, but if I just watch a game with no rooting interests, I'm usually on my phone/computer or flipping over to another channel during breaks. I admit, I only really watch soccer when the men's international team is involved and it's in the same time zone, and even then I'm nowhere near invested to the point where the outcome affects my mood for more than a few minutes. And with a casual interest, it is nice to know that I'm going to watch 2 roughly 45 minutes of uninterrupted action with a 10-15 minute break in the middle rather than 3 plays, punt, commercial, 1 play, turnover, commercial, 2 plays, score, challenge, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. Soccer's continuous flow seems "strategy-less," but only because football is a little more broken down into "mini-goals" like first downs and possession is much less fluid. There's a lot of strategy constantly taking place in soccer, but it's much more improvised.

The short version is that American football is pretty cost prohibitive. And tradition/"what people are used to" is hard to overcome on such a large scale.

One thing no one has brought up, is the most obvious

Jul 9, 2019, 9:39 AM

difference in the two sports. In American football, you HAVE to use your hands, and in soccer, the hands are a penalty inducing NO-NO. So, maybe the soccer playing and rooting interests hate our football just because of that fact. I know that "Look, Ma, no hands" is one of the main reasons I dislike soccer.

Because "American" football is uniquely 'Murican***

Jul 9, 2019, 9:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2019, 11:47 AM

As others have mentioned, it's the same reason soccer hasn't really caught on here (yet). However, just like soccer in the USA, American football is making its way into other markets. I lived in Brasil for 4+ years and the population's attitude toward football was very similar to our attitude towards soccer: a lot of the 35 & under demographic are embracing it, with much of the older generation being somewhat interested but standoffish. As time went on there I saw a greater amount of NFL games on TV, and they even started playing some big college football games as well.

Outside the US, you can buy NFL Gamepass, which is extremely helpful. They have it in the US as well, but it only allows you to re-watch games the next day...outside the US you can watch every single game live. I think that'll help with the exposure a lot.

Another thing that's helping greatly: fantasy football. That's going to push a lot more people around the world to watch the game.

There are things around like aussie rules football that grab

Jul 9, 2019, 12:08 PM

the interest in various areas. Apparently there are even pro leagues in europe for waterpolo. Guess it has to do with whats around in an area when kids are growing up. Our football would be hard to get started just because of the equipment and the number of players needed for a single team, much less a league.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic