Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nothing shows ESPN bias more than hiring Bill Connelly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 2,185

Nothing shows ESPN bias more than hiring Bill Connelly

Oct 27, 2019, 4:31 AM

I hear a lot about ESPN's bias, and a lot of people argue that it is imagined. The fact that ESPN would hire Bill Connelly, last year, shows that it exist. He has done little to hide his bias to the Big Ten and SEC unless you count portraying the S&P+ that he engineered as an unbiased computer ranking.

His S&P+ rankings after the season last year still had Clemson at number 2 behind Alabama and had a 3 loss Georgia 3rd. I have heard a couple of people say that it was not a new ranking but the one that I looked at was dated for Jan 7th and had updated records. What might be worse is the S&P+ 5 year ranking for 2014-2018 (inclusive). Somehow despite 2 National Championships, 4 CFP appearances, and a 31-0 shut out of Ohio State in our last meeting, they still rank higher in those "computer" rankings.

Hiring Connelly in January, to me, proves an effort to push the SEC and B1G that is independent of saying something controversial for ratings. Of course, Connelly can still get a little of that in too. His playoff teams after this week: 1) Ohio State 2) LSU 3) Alabama 4) Penn State (2 B1G teams and 2 SEC teams)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nothing shows ESPN bias more than hiring Bill Connelly

Oct 27, 2019, 5:47 AM

Those fancy maffs formulas are good, as they go. But they're missing a key metric and Clemson has borne that out numerous times over the past five years.

That metric is very simple - number of players played in key situations. Clemson leads the nation going away in not just players played per game, but the number of players who received quality snaps while the game was still in question.

Mind, this tends to happen at the detriment of the other stats, especially early. When you're playing so many guys it does disrupt continuity and because a significant chunk of those guys are young or inexperienced you're going to be living with a bunch of newb mistakes, and all at once, especially in September.

This is why Clemson historically has not looked tremendous under Dabo in September. But it's October now and Clemson's starting to take on its midseason form. By November Clemson tends to be utterly dominant and by the post-season Clemson is an absolute nightmare.

Why? Well, remember that old kid's game called Battleship? Clemson's basically playing that game with three full sets of pieces, that the Tigers rotate basically interchangeably from about Week 4-5 on...and that spreads the enemy hits out among those three full sets of pieces. When a guy gets a ding, Clemson can hold him and let somebody else take the abuse until that guy heals up. And because Clemson spreads those dings out among so many players they're taking far fewer hits per player anyway.

I don't know the exact per-player stats but I would be willing to bet you Clemson's starters only get about 60-65% of the snaps of an average D1 starter...and that means they take a lot less wear and tear over the course of a season. Which is why Clemson tends to look so incredibly frisky at the end of a season while it appears our opponents are held together with duct tape, bailing wire, and cortisone injections.

The fancy maffs don't take that into account at all, which is IMHO the biggest reason Clemson is almost always under-rated on the likes of S&P+...and why the fancy maffs tend to miss on Clemson every year as well. If they adjusted the true value of that particular metric I think Clemson would rate far, far higher.

Their model's not really biased since math by definition isn't; it's just incomplete.

Re: Nothing shows ESPN bias more than hiring Bill Connelly

Oct 27, 2019, 6:55 AM

You are probably right to a large extent. One of the key metrics that he uses is recruiting rankings. Giving young men playing time contributes to their development which I do not think is factored in. As you point out it keeps us fresher as well.

I just have a hard time buying that the weighting of the metrics is not manipulated so that he can get the outcome that he wants. I know a five year ranking is not really concerning, but I know that he uses it in his initial ranking each year and those skew in others that come out. Find me any metric where you can justify Alabama 1st, Ohio State 2nd, and Clemson 3rd over the last five years, other than "I am in love with the Big Ten and so I'll make Ohio State 2nd." That is also supposedly a weighted metric, so Ohio State's 2014 season should count least.

If he is going to manipulate things for that outcome, what does he manipulate to get the outcome he wants in the weekly rankings. He can rank teams however he wants. Just don't try to pass it off as unbiased. In the same way, ESPN can hire anybody they want and spin things into the most financially advantageous position. Just don't play it off to be unbiased.

Why does it matter if they’re biased? And

Oct 27, 2019, 7:05 AM

Why does it matter what 4 teams he has in the playoffs? And why does it matter where Clemson is ranked in his S&P+ poll?

ESPN does have a bias, and so does every single person on the planet. The fact is ESPN has no input into who makes the playoffs, they just pay the P5 conferences for the right to broadcast the event. ESPN’s bias towards the B1G and the SEC are purely financial, and it’s because those two conferences have far more fans watching and attending games than any other conference. Clemson has been to 4 straight CFP and it will be 5 straight if we win out, even with their pro B1G and SEC bias.

Re: Why does it matter if they’re biased? And

Oct 27, 2019, 7:34 AM

Yes everybody has biases, but many of us will admit it. As far as why it matters, I am pretty sure that the playoff committee does not live in a bubble. The biggest heavy weight in sports media is ESPN and so they do have a minor effect on the selection. I agree that it has not hurt us in the past, will not hurt us this year and is unlikely to hurt us in the future. That does not mean that it should be ignored in the grand scheme of things beyond Clemson. I am not saying that anybody should jump up and down and scream, but people calling them out on it shouldn't matter that much either by your reasoning.

Replies: 4
| visibility 2,185
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic