Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables: "You have to have that road dog mentality"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables: "You have to have that road dog mentality"

Nov 26, 2013, 4:29 PM

Venables: "You have to have that road dog mentality"

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables thinks his defense will have to have that "road dog" mentality in order to beat South Carolina in Columbia Saturday evening. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will Jayron be an upgrade in the d backfield?

Nov 26, 2013, 4:36 PM

Blanks is a special athlete, but, his feet where in quicksand during the FSU game, played tentative for most of the game

He's better at run support then Blanks

Nov 26, 2013, 4:41 PM

But he was picked on quite a bit in the BC game in terms of passing. He gave up their long TD pass and the reverse for a TD. He's been better since then.

This game will test his discipline in not getting caught peeking into the backfield.

Re: He's better at run support then Blanks

Nov 27, 2013, 10:19 PM

He wasn't used to the speed and qb's arm of the college game. That was a big lesson and constant reminder of how the college game is played. He has this under his belt now and will and has adjusted for the most part. His confident style of play will do the rest. We know he a big hitter during the run. He can see the field and trust his speed now.

Re: Will Jayron be an upgrade in the d backfield?

Nov 26, 2013, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Will Jayron be an upgrade in the d backfield? ]

Kearse will be an upgrade.. he just reacts.. Blanks thinks too much.. which is the reason why he isn't playing too well.. last year Blanks just went flying to the ball.. This year he is being hesitant. idk what it is..

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2013, 4:49 PM

He changed positions... he was a SS last year.. no cover responsibility long,, he now is a safety... much different. He is just like a freshman as far as how to play it, FSU was fast.. really fast.. hardest kind of team to play Safety because u can get beat on each and every single play if u are out of position..

Nov 27, 2013, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Jayron be an upgrade in the d backfield? ]

He played his best ball at SS. The short field. He has grasped all the elements since moving to the FS spot.

Nov 26, 2013, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Will Jayron be an upgrade in the d backfield? ]

One person didn't lose that game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a back up for a reason. If you trust the coaches,

Nov 26, 2013, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Will Jayron be an upgrade in the d backfield? ]

then you have to assume blanks was better.

The backup is always the fan favorite, until he is the starter. Call me crazy, but I sure wish Blanks was healthy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OH YOU DIDNT KNOW!

Nov 26, 2013, 4:54 PM

He said Road Dogg right?

Venables and Morris

Nov 26, 2013, 4:54 PM

this game is much more about Venables

if we don't have the ball, doesn't matter how much Chad schemes, doesn't matter what Boyd and Watkins do out there

def sense the frustration last year from Chad

this game will all be about GETTING OFF THE FIELD ON 3RD DOWN

this means HUGE games from Stephone Anthony and Shuey to spy their QB

don't remember if we've played another QB this year w/ the running ability (not counting G tech...that's a glorified RB, not a QB) that SC has, but still good enough arm and accurate to make plays

Yes but getting the ball and going 3 and out doesn't help

Nov 26, 2013, 5:00 PM

either...our D needs a rest from time to time. Chad will need to bring his A game as well. This will have to be a total team effort.

Ends will have to keep containment...

Nov 26, 2013, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Venables and Morris ]

...and not get greedy going for sacks. Keep Shaw in front of them and we should be fine.

Re: Ends will have to keep containment...

Nov 26, 2013, 8:33 PM

And D linemen, please get your hands up if you can't get to Shaw!

Re: Ends will have to keep containment...

Nov 27, 2013, 10:28 PM

Swatted balls leads to interceptions.

Why does Morris keep getting a pass? His performance...

Nov 27, 2013, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Venables and Morris ]

in games against quality defense's has left alot to be desired. In my opinion, HE needs to step it up in these type games. SC made him look like a High School coach last year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does Morris keep getting a pass? His performance...

Nov 27, 2013, 10:40 PM

He just didn't call any misdirection, motion, and counter plays to slow down or keep their defense honest. The down linemen just pinned back their ears and went all out on everydown. A simple halfback pass, shuttle, or double pass from a screen would have suprised on kept them honest last year. For some reason we didn't trust or had scrap this part of our playbook. It definitely took the excitement & fun out of our offense; successful or not, the players and fans love this from time to time. It also help the players to relax and play loose during a high profiled game.

Re: Venables and Morris

Nov 27, 2013, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Venables and Morris ]

This couldn't be more correct.

Dang. Can you complement them any more?***

Nov 26, 2013, 5:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Don't mistake his "kindness" for weakness....Venables

Nov 27, 2013, 8:49 AM

wants this game and I'm sure he's had it circled all year just like the rest of us. He's a gamer and hates to lose. Love his attitude.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "You have to have that road dog mentality"

Nov 26, 2013, 5:35 PM

I have been critical of Blanks at times this year but I dont think he has been 100% with his knee. Kearse is young but these coaches generally gt them ready so I think we will like him back there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's "Nut cuttin' time!"***

Nov 26, 2013, 7:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wanna hear Venables say, "It's knucklepuck time!"***

Nov 27, 2013, 10:30 PM

He was a back up for a reason. If you trust the coaches,

Nov 26, 2013, 8:36 PM

All these fair weather fans! No big deal that Blanks has a serious injury, let's take over that and talk up the next man in line! I'm appalled at what I'm reading here. One things for sure, I've witnessed and watched the sacrifice Blanks has made since grade school! I can't wait until he's back and healthy next season, all his fair weather fans will be back. These kids sacrifice so much for this sport, just to have "fans" be critical of them on their TEAM website :( I fully expect this talk from coots etc but tigernet? Wow, PS: your prayers are needed and MUCH appreciated for Blanks!

Some thick skin required here...

Nov 26, 2013, 10:06 PM

Especially for parents or relatives of players. Don't even COME here if you're a player or a parent or relative. These (we) are rabid fans with little to NO respect for the obvious fact that it's (TigerNet) totally public. Exercise your freedom to NOT click on this site. Everybody here knows everything about coaching, recruiting, offense, defense, special teams and even what supplements the players need to improve. They (the posters) believe they are more qualified than the coaches. Please laugh it off… and forgive us. We're Fan(atic)s!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win, lose or draw . . . I'm a Tiger fan forevermore!

Hurricane Duane

Re: Some thick skin required here...

Nov 27, 2013, 12:54 AM

Had to look up definition of "road dog". Consensus is that it means traveling companion. Not sure what a "road dog mentality" is or how it will help on Saturday. Guess it sounds tough like "nut cutting".

road dog mentality

Nov 27, 2013, 2:27 AM

Is a slang saying that has been in sports for as long as I remember just not uses much, we used to yell it as we would enter the field at games " road dog, road dog" you know like " useless as #### on a bohog"

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic