Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do schools pay for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Why do schools pay for

Jun 2, 2015, 12:43 PM

non-revenue sports to begin with?

Seriously, none of us really care if CU baseball went to California or not. No, we really don't. Other than the players/coaches directly involved, whose life was changed the two years the Coots won the baseball NC? Does CU even have a swimming/diving team? I honestly don't know and don't care, and who does? Do we have wrestling, motobike, or X-game stuff? Why not?

One of my CU daughters was a gymnast, but the fact CU doesn't have gymnastics team deterred her not. One year, her gymnastics buds formed an intramural squad and had a good season just among themselves. Nobody cared, nobody came to watch, nobody ever knew, and they paid their own bills.

So, what's the deal with colleges believing they need to pay for non-revenue sports? (other than the minimum women sports necessary to keep the lawyers away).

Let's the markets determine the sports.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Believe it or or not a lot of baseball programs in the south

Jun 2, 2015, 12:47 PM

east have huge donors, Clemson included. We may not quite be a revenue sport but we are ### close.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do schools pay for

Jun 2, 2015, 12:50 PM

Because there are some fans whose favorite sport is a non-revenue sport.

Jun 2, 2015, 12:57 PM

well for one thing there is Title IX. Also people do like other sports than Football and Basketball. Also a lot of students get to attend Clemson that wouldn't. Your comment is very short sighted.

Jun 2, 2015, 2:49 PM

I couldn't agree more. The OP might as well have asked why high schools pay for sports that don't show a profit. The benefits to competing in athletics have been well documented. Outside of title IX, you may have a point that athletic scholarships aren't warranted for non-revenue sports. I don't agree with it, but it's a much better point than the original post.

There's a societal benefit from supporting individuals attempting significant achievements. Part of it is inspirational. Part of it is reputational for the university. It also produces better citizens.

Helps compete for some of those high end students

Jun 2, 2015, 12:56 PM

who can later help with research grants and the like.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As someone who played a non-revenue sport at Clemson....

Jun 2, 2015, 12:59 PM

while I realize college athletics is largely revenue driven now-a-days, college sports are supposed to be about participation and learning life lessons.

There is no denying that being at student-athlete at Clemson and playing in the ACC helped mold me into the person I am today. It taught me how to manage time, it taught me how to set goals, it taught me how to work hard and compete.

From my persepctive, you simply can’t compromise the classic values of sports. The competition, the value of teamwork, learning about hard work, learning about setting goals, learning about setting limits, and the sacrifices to reach those goals. You can learn those same values in all sports, not just football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: As someone who played a non-revenue sport at Clemson....

Jun 2, 2015, 1:53 PM

While I agree with everything you said, I'll play devil's advocate. I didn't play college sports, nor did I want to, but I did play through high school. I learned all the same lessons you learned, without playing. Maybe I'm a faster learner and learned all the lessons by the time I graduated high school...I'm just kidding with you. We are moving to Clemson in 3 months and I cant wait to take my kids to volleyball games, regattas, soccer, etc. They are much easier with kids than football/basketball, and pretty fun too.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Jun 2, 2015, 1:13 PM

"Knucklehead" comment....obviously you didn't play a sport.....I guess ALL kids should be told they have to play football or basketball?

well, not so fast

Jun 2, 2015, 1:35 PM

no, i didn't play a sport in college, and neither do 98+% of students, nor did you most likely. and that's my point. we don't subsidize the activities of most students, so why subsidize the 1 to 2% of the other students who play a sport?

btw, it's your or your kid's money that's paying for somebody else's kid to go knock a golf ball around the Walker course. but hey, that's your call.

At most schools, student fees support football and basketbal

Jun 2, 2015, 2:00 PM

so not even football is a self sustaining.

Re: well, not so fast

Jun 2, 2015, 5:47 PM [ in reply to well, not so fast ]

Actually yes I did play....a non revenue sport...where the institution actually paid for part of my schooling....

Jun 2, 2015, 7:09 PM [ in reply to well, not so fast ]

Non revenue sports are funded by sports revenue.....largely the football program. Not a dime of your tuition goes to athletics....

Jun 2, 2015, 9:13 PM [ in reply to well, not so fast ]

Football funds those sports not a penny comes from you so you can just stop talking now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I bet you played in the marching band...

Jun 2, 2015, 1:32 PM

???

Re: I bet you played in the marching band...

Jun 2, 2015, 1:41 PM

what's your marathon time?

hey - it's your or your kids money. you wanna go swipe your debit card so Chamiqua can spike a ball at Jervey... that's up to you. And, on your way, stop at QT and buy a couple of powerballs.. I hear your birthday in randomized format is sure to be a winner this year.

I am guessing he got cut from the marching band

Jun 2, 2015, 2:33 PM [ in reply to I bet you played in the marching band... ]

more than once

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a requirement

Jun 2, 2015, 1:38 PM

to be a Division I-A school; schools must maintain 16 NCAA teams. At this level, programs have been eliminated as revenue generating sports have become more profitable. Athletic directors are profit-maximizers and any dollar spent on a non-revenue sport is a dollar they can't spend on football/basketball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2015, 1:47 PM

Good lord where do these people come from.

null

Jun 3, 2015, 7:58 AM

I come from Chesterfield, S.C. Nice little town of about 1500. Nice golf course, Green River located on 145 N. Goodlooking people, (I'm not included) We have a Wendy's, BoJangles, Subway, Grits and Groceries, Piggly Wiggly, YMCA, The Bank (good chicken wings among other things). Check us out some time. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pigs of gymnast daughter?

Jun 2, 2015, 1:52 PM

cood be a difference maker.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So far, still waiting for an answer

Jun 2, 2015, 2:03 PM

Most of you who have replied can go to the will-call window for women's softball over in Cootland. Your tickets are waiting. You'd really fit right in, and you'd enjoy it no doubt.

Re: So far, still waiting for an answer

Jun 2, 2015, 2:11 PM

I am not sure this question deserves an answer.

Re: So far, still waiting for an answer

Jun 2, 2015, 2:31 PM [ in reply to So far, still waiting for an answer ]

aww someone asked a stupid question and isnt happy with the answer.

Maybe some of us think that college athletics shouldnt be treated like a business but should be a way for some talented students to come and represent Clemson while competing in a sport.

null

It's not about revenue. . It's about education. .

Jun 2, 2015, 2:35 PM

I swear some of you would man w #### your 3yr old sons if espn gave you enough coin.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: It's not about revenue. . It's about education. .

Jun 2, 2015, 2:37 PM

exactly!

null

Jun 2, 2015, 3:18 PM

mrtd, I suggest that you speak for yourself on these matters. Lots of us disagree with your comments.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Jun 2, 2015, 4:05 PM

Let me guess. You just took your first Econ course. Don't worry. You'll outgrow it.

Jun 2, 2015, 9:37 PM

Perfect reply Fitch! And I majored in Econ!

Jun 2, 2015, 5:01 PM

First of all yes you care that we went to California or you wouldnt have mentioned it so fast. Second, mrtouchdown lol

I live in LA and LSU makes money with baseball***

Jun 2, 2015, 10:39 PM

Jun 3, 2015, 7:54 AM

I care about all Clemson sports and want to win each and every game. I wish they had a softball team. I would have two neices at Clemson next year. Whether they make money or not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mr. TD.... Let's go back to about 9th grade ...

Jun 3, 2015, 8:32 AM

When you weren't paying attention in Economics 101.

Revenue is monies brought in by any venture.

Baseball as I understand it takes in Revenue (ticket,hotdog,t-shirt sales, etc).

Maybe Profit is what you have misunderstood. Profit is taking in more monies than you pay out.

Winners are profitable. IE: When the chickens won 2 NC's in baseball, I'm almost positive with the nauseating t-shirt and ticket sales , they turned a Profit, which was probably used to fund not just baseball.

You see how this works ? More winning = More $$$

So....the lesson to be learned here is - If you're going to do anything...Do it well.

And on a side note....Clemson had swimming and wrestling teams when I was in school..... But thanks for playing, drive safely.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic