Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Six Tigers to take part in NFL Combine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Six Tigers to take part in NFL Combine

Feb 20, 2012, 3:44 PM

Six Tigers to take part in NFL Combine

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WVU has 2 players invited to combine; DE Irvin & LB Goode.***

Feb 21, 2012, 1:16 AM

6 going this yr, 6 drafted last yr, 15 drafted last 3 yrs ..

Feb 21, 2012, 3:27 AM

and if all 6 are drafted this year that will be 21 players drafted over the last 4 years, which is just over 5/year for 4 straight years. Not many programs can claim that, yet somehow many people on this board keep trying to diminish the recruiting classes brought in by TB and claim we don't have enough talent yet to be competitive nationally nor dominate a very poor ACC.

This fall will be the last of TB's recruits, minus a few RS SRs on the 2013 roster. Most starters this year will be non-seniors, so going forward it's primarily Dabo's players. It's going to start getting a LOT harder for folks to keep blaming TB for our failings and under achieving. 2013 will be year 5 of Dabo's players, coaches, system, etc. etc. ... losing to USC, not winning the ACC, blowouts, or bowl flops are ALL on Dabo in 2013.

Given how young we are, 2012 is IMO all Dabo's too.

4.5 years in, blaming the previous coach is nothing but an excuse. Excuses about staff changes are bogus too. A HC lives and dies by his assistants. If Dabo made bad hires the first few years that's his fault. That's another reason you don't hire inexperienced position coaches to be HC. Any more coaching changes, unless someone leaves on their own, are unacceptable.

No more blaming assistants, talent, systems, yadda yadda yadda. NO more excuses, period. This is ALL Dabo now. Time to put up or shut up.

Also, we have GT and usc at home this year. We have far more talent than GT, and according to TNET, PJ sucks as a coach. We also have equal or better talent than usc. Anything other than a W in those game this year will be unacceptable.

Who's blaming anyone? Most are happy with the program.***

Feb 21, 2012, 4:03 AM

Pumpers do a few things very well, one is give Dabo credit

Feb 21, 2012, 6:34 AM

for anything and everything positive. Another is deflect blame away from Dabo and make excuses for anything and everything negative, rather than hold Dabo, the HC, responsible.

Nowhere in my post did I say anyone was complaining.

Nor did I say anything bad about Dabo.

I merely pointed out that starting this year there was going to be very little room for people to make excuses or deflect blame away from Dabo when there are loses.

As usual, you were doing like others and spinning my comments into something not relevant to my point. Reading into my words, rather than letting them speak for themselves in the straight forward way I intended.

Point of clarification ... clearly the comment I made about

Feb 21, 2012, 6:51 AM

blaming TB was part and parcel with people deflecting blame away from Dabo via excuses for failures and weaknesses.

Your comment actually proves the point I'm often making. Pumpers only see the positives. You act like everything is perfectly fine with the program.

Going 8-0 then finishing 2-4, or being o'fer the last 3 vs. usc, the NC State blowout, the OB fiasco, etc.. These things don't just happen. They happen because there are some serious issues that need addressed. Yet pumpers say "but we won the ACC" and act like no big deal, everything is fine because all those failures are easily explainable and not Dabo's fault. They find ways to blame anyone but Dabo, or find excuses to explain them away.

Going forward there will be no more room to deflect blame for loses away from Dabo. .

I'm not going to get into a discussion with you b/c I know

Feb 21, 2012, 8:09 AM

better, but I will say this and leave you with whatever last words you want. My response was clearly about you saying "blaming TB was part and parcel with people deflecting blame away from Dabo via excuses for failures and weaknesses." I'm not spinning anything, I'm taking right from your words and once again I'll respond to your words by saying who's blaming anyone? Most are happy with the program.

Talk about you spinning words. You take my words and say
Your comment actually proves the point I'm often making. Pumpers only see the positives. You act like everything is perfectly fine with the program. First of all the pumper and dumper crap is just plain stupid. It's not reality. I don't live my life going by TNet lingo. Those 2 terms are basically 2 extreme thinkings of each side of the fence and 99.9% of the people I run into don't fall into that category. The ones that do I don't even waste my time with. If anyone outside of this message board quoted TNet with his/her facts I'd probably just walk away.

If you want to get technical, I'm not saying everything is perfectly fine with the program. I'm saying there are many more positives than negatives right now and we are moving in the right direction. No everything isn't perfect and there are certain things that need to be fixed (like beating South Carolina), but we're finally getting the monkey off our backs in other areas and that's a good thing.

We're not where we eventually want to be right now in terms of a national competitive top 10 program, so there are gonna be times where we take a step back, but that's ok. It's all apart of getting there.

I realize you like to antagonize and your opinion won't change, but I just want to clarify most of your spinning so you understand where most of us are coming from b/c that's what the reality is. The floor is yours sir, I'm done!

Anyone happy with our program is part of the problem. We

Feb 21, 2012, 9:47 AM

have lost 3 in a row to usc, only played 2 good games last year, blown out by a bad NC State, and let's not even talk about the OB, which made Dabo 1-3 in bowls. 2010 6-7.

Those are a lot of negatives. Until we actually improve on the field you can not say we are better or improving or moving in the right direction.

We had a new OL coach last year and Dabo was praised for the hire. People crowed about how much better the OL was going to be. Yet the reality was the OL played worse.

It's one thing to say you like the hires, it's another to say we have improved. That is pure speculation. Only play on the field will determine if we are improving.

If you ONLY use acc titles as a measure of success, then Dabo is better. If you look at his entire time as HC, or look at entire seasons, then a different picture emerges, a picture that looks an awful lot like TB's teams.

When people point out our loses and negatives, pumpers spin them and make excuses. Excuses = deflection away from where the responsibility should be ... the head coach.

That sounds a bit like "we played great until you look at the

Feb 21, 2012, 1:18 PM

scoreboard" argument. Whether you like Dabo et al or not you simply can't diminish the fact that he has taken Clemson to 2 ACCCG and won 1. Last time I checked Tommy Bowden was never able to do either of those. Now I'm not going to say that we played well all the time but we won enough to get to and win the championship. Is that enough? Nope but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

I had nothing against TB and thought generally he moved the program in the right direction but he could never get over the hump. Has Dabo done that? Just depends on what you consider the hump. I certainly think that winning a championship demonstrates that perhaps we're on the right track.

There is no question that beating the teams we should beat is something Clemson needs to do consistantly but that certainly isn't only a Dabo issue - can you say Wake Forest among others under TB (something you never seem to acknowledge).

We will all know soon enough if the ACC Championship is just a blip on the radar or a prediction of things to come but I encourage you to be open to the potential that Dabo might just be the right guy for the job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Point of clarification ... clearly the comment I made about

Feb 21, 2012, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Point of clarification ... clearly the comment I made about ]

There is a certain group on here, and most of them have real high post count, all they can do is call people coots. If you have an opinion that is in anyway negative you are then put into the "coot" category. What they need to realize is this constant focus on the "coots" has created a program in Columbia that is physically dominant over our program. In every sport at this time. Call me a coot if you want but the truth will stand when the world is on fire! They have physically whipped us three years in a row and until we get meaner, tougher and stop the choir boy recruiting we will continue to be physically dominated. Football is a tough sport made for tough and mean people that are imperfect. People that may drink a beer, say a bad word or kick somebodies butt in a bar if they get messed with. That Spurrier understands. Dabo doesn't. I'm not saying go get into trouble but for goodness sakes don't be so hard on these young men and kill their fire. To me that is the problem. You can't spend all your time in church, the weight room and the library. I think Morris gets it and that is basically what he has said publicly.

So your saying that we don't recruit tough players?

Feb 21, 2012, 9:27 AM

I think a number of D players in the NFL would disagree. Also to make it sound like the OBS is recruiting better because he has low standards on what his players should be is a bit insulting. I don't want players that make my program look back regardless if they win or not. I want players that represtn my school well. If winning is all that you care about and nothing else then I guess we will have to disagree on the type of players Dabo brings in

Re: So your saying that we don't recruit tough players?

Feb 21, 2012, 9:39 AM

I think it is obvious that Morris is disappointed with the toughness on the O line. He said he like Price because he was tough. He didn't say that about the other highly recruited players. I don't want to get into calling out players but if the OC is questioning their toughness then we should too. When they pulled Moore out of practice last year because he got mean and nasty????????? Mean and nasty is needed. You can twist what I am saying anyway you want but the fact of the matter is we are soft. That has come from the coaching staff not me. I think Dabo has unrealistic expectations of his players and his staff on two fronts.

1. Contact in practice.
2. Expecting your players role models.

It is like the special forces in the service. They are trained to kill. Now they don't kill in society but in war they will kill. They are respectful and polite. They will yes sir and no sir you, but if you back them in a corner they will hurt you. Football players at this level will need to have the same mentality. You can't take a Marine and make him a choir boy. Why do you think you can take a football player and do the same. I think Dabo expects choir boys. I said that at the beginning of the season and I am saying it now. I have not changed my position on this. I think Dabo and his squeaky clean image demands a certain behavior from his players. I don't think that demand is always in line with a successful, tough and mean football player.

I disagree

Feb 21, 2012, 2:33 PM

Cj Spiller, Jacoby Ford, Daquan Bowers, Jarvis Jenkins, Brandon Thompson, Reniee Moore, etc.

All of these are outstanding players that were also role models and upstanding young men. You don't have to be a thug to be a mean and nasty player on the field. You seem to believe that it's impossible to be both mean and tough but also a good upstanding person, that's not the case.

Moore was taken out of practice because he was yelling at teammates and oyu don't want to cause disention amoung the ranks and if you don't discipline your players then they won't respect you nor will they listen to you don't believe me? Look at Garcia and how the OBS handled him.

Also you bring up Price. He was the toughest of our O-line man, with the exception of Freeman and he was a mean and nasty player, but he wasn't a thug and people only had good things to say about the kid.

That's my only point. I'm not saying that we aren't soft at times but I also don't but into the opinon that a player has to be a swearing, yelling, mean spirited person in general to be a tough player. Some of our all time greatest players, who went on to be great in the NFL weren't like this.

We can agree thought that we need toughness on the field, especially at the O-lin position and I think we have a few youg players that will provide that for us this year. I think the O-line last year got complacnet as they knew tha tthe coaches wouldn't be able to take them out if they didn't play well.

Why didn't your mother put you in a dumpster when she

Feb 21, 2012, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Point of clarification ... clearly the comment I made about ]

squirted you out?

Re: Why didn't your mother put you in a dumpster when she

Feb 21, 2012, 9:46 AM

Why don't I stuff you in a dumpster and squirt on you!

Re: 6 going this yr, 6 drafted last yr, 15 drafted last 3 yrs ..

Feb 21, 2012, 9:49 AM [ in reply to 6 going this yr, 6 drafted last yr, 15 drafted last 3 yrs .. ]

Don't think anyone is trying to diminish the recruiting class, it's the coaching of those recruits undoubtedly, based on the end results. We go OOC and become the laughing stock of the nation!

Clemson 38 Auburn 24***

Feb 21, 2012, 9:52 AM

Tommy: Just let it go my man. You aren't going to

Feb 21, 2012, 9:53 AM [ in reply to 6 going this yr, 6 drafted last yr, 15 drafted last 3 yrs .. ]

be rehired.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic