Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why are people so shocked we struggled running it?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Why are people so shocked we struggled running it?

Oct 21, 2018, 9:16 PM

They had an additional week to prepare and was literally their entire game plan.

Suffice to say it didn't work.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why are people so shocked we struggled running it?

Oct 21, 2018, 9:20 PM

It was obvious that NC was geared to stop the run. That made it much easier to complete passes, as we had a lot of open receivers. Without TL's ability to throw those passes, this game would have been a slobberknocker and we would not have curb-stomped them.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:43 PM

Our OL is a huge concern right now. For us to win in the playoff we have got to run the ball better when teams stack the box. Those open WR's may not be there against elite defenses. I love TL, and he's played great, but we can't put the entire game on his back. Our OL needs to man up and open some holes.

Huge concern?

Oct 21, 2018, 9:52 PM

From what I've seen, there are some inconsistencies that need to be worked on, but there are days when the run just isn't there. When that happens, you can go to the pass like Clemson did or you can beat your head against a wall. NC State might've thought if they could stop the run, they could eventually stop the pass as well. It's not like the line was getting driven back every play, they just weren't getting the push we've seen the last couple of games.

Re: Huge concern?

Oct 21, 2018, 10:05 PM

^^^this ^^^ fridge said. NCSU has a good dline. Not bama good but better than most.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Huge concern?

Oct 21, 2018, 11:56 PM

It was rather clear that woofies decided that their best chance was to make Clemson pass and see if they could rattle TL. TL said, okay! They had to name their poison and we served it to them.

Oct 21, 2018, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are people so shocked we struggled running it? ]

No offense, but imo it kinda sounds like you want us to run an offense like uga or Kentucky. Not really our style of offense. But I think our oline has been doing pretty good.

Also keep in mind that state and other defenses know we’re not going to run the qb. If, and we will in the playoffs, and when we have a few more qb designed runs then you’ll see our ground game is good enough.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, I thought the O line

Oct 22, 2018, 7:29 AM

play was better. Not that many years ago we had a hard time punching it in from inside the 10. Travis walked in untouched on all three TD's. I also thought Trevor had a little more time most plays to throw the ball and I saw Jackson in at left tackle late in the game - also good to see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right now, it's more confident for me than concerned.

Oct 21, 2018, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are people so shocked we struggled running it? ]

It's not like the entire team put a lot of heavy weights on Trevor Lawrence's shoulder. We can run effectively with ETN. If the opposing defense stacks the box like NC State did, it's not gonna be a lot of pressure for ETN the pick apart the secondary.

Oct 22, 2018, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Why are people so shocked we struggled running it? ]

What do you want them to do, block two guys each? They had more hats than us so we couldn’t run. Stop crying about that and praise those beautiful out routes that only happened because of how they stacked the box.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of the potential playoff teams or ACCCG opponents

Oct 22, 2018, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Why are people so shocked we struggled running it? ]

have a secondary elite enough to stay with Higgins, Ross, Renfrow, Rodgers...*and* you have to worry about all of our RBs out of the backfield. If TL continues making the throws, points are coming.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. If teams want to continue to sell out and stop the

Oct 21, 2018, 9:44 PM

run and let TL pick them apart through the air, fine by me. Pick your poison.

I was actually encouraged how effectively we punched it into the endzone on those short-yardage situations (save for that last possession before the half). I don't think ETN was touched on any of his TD runs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 9:47 PM

Haven’t heard that. Is that what the media is saying or tnet? Because I haven’t heard it on tnet.

Feaster looked a bit off and I wonder if his shoulder is still giving him a problem. ETN still needs some work with assignments or reading D??? And his pass catching will come together.

They sold out to stop the run

Oct 21, 2018, 10:04 PM

So we torched them with the pass. It’s not that hard to figure out. If other teams are going to stack the box with 8 guys like that and leave their corners on islands all day, TL will eat them alive with slants and outs as he’s proven he can do.

Stop trying to find things to complain about when there aren’t.

Oct 21, 2018, 10:42 PM

Coaches didn't want to show their hand to open the run game when they were winning without that. When Coach wants to run enough to show his hand they will get it done.

Yeah, no jet sweeps and not as much elaborate motion

Oct 22, 2018, 7:29 AM

when the game was still in doubt. I think Swinney ran one in the fourth quarter.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 10:43 PM

Do you have a link for the shocked people or are those people only in your head?

Oct 21, 2018, 11:52 PM

Dabo knew they would try to stop the run so he said lets let Trevor show what he can do and Trevor did just that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 11:58 PM

It wasn't a shock to me, NC state has been known for their run defense thus far this year. They were going to key the run. I'm not worried about the state of our run game, it'll get back on track as the year goes on

Oct 22, 2018, 6:16 AM

How about some props to our o-line at the goal line. ETN walked in 3 times without being touched.

Oct 22, 2018, 7:10 AM

State practiced all week on stopping the run, thinking TL wasn't good enough to beat their secondary. Wrong. FSU is arrogant enough to think they can stop the run without 8 in the box, it will be a different story. FSU's OL is going to cause Francois to absorb a LOT of hits on Saturday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic