Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why are people assuming
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Why are people assuming

May 7, 2017, 9:20 AM

That lawrence starts at qb from day one. The kid isnt even on campus yet. Aside from the fact that we have a stable of capable qbs that will all have more time in the system and one of which will have a year of being a starter under his belt. Never understood y people hail a recruit as a savior before he even plays a down of college ball.

Also, i love that watson is going to houston. Hes got tiger family there but he also has the real chad not too far. Its kind of a random note i know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why are people assuming

May 7, 2017, 9:29 AM

Clemson fans don't hail anyone as a "savior". This insinuates that the team needs saving. That's a coot trait. Talent scouts have all but said he is better than Watson coming out of high school. We shall see.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2017, 9:37 AM

It was an exaggeration dude. And i wasnt just talking about Clemson fans. Ive seen quite a few articles on different websites that talk about or at least imply that he will. Now he may come in and blow everyone away. But im pretty sure hunter was the top qb in the last recruiting cycle and ive seen him play but he has had to take time to acclimate to college play.

May 7, 2017, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

Lawrence has broken or will break before his senior season is over most of Watsons records in high school. He's that good. He has a cannon for an arm and a good runner. I think he's enrolling early. He like Johnson will have to acclimate to the speed of the college game. We know that Bryant has the running skills,experience, and unsure of his passing accuracy. Cooper can throw the football but not as good a runner. Johnson can do both. He has to get used to the speed of the college game. Can Brice learn fast enough in August to be a factor? It's a great problem to have with all these great athletes. Can we keep them all happy at Clemson?

May 7, 2017, 9:47 AM

No

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

May 7, 2017, 9:57 AM

Boy you must have fun on a daily basis with all those buckeye fans. Most of the ones here in indiana wont even talk to me anymore lol

May 7, 2017, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

Theres no way that many stars stay and ride the bench. And honestly you cant ask them to. The competition at qb is exciting as far as im concerned. But unless Bryant is our starter this year i dont see Lawrence coming in next year and taking the job. Regardless of who the starter is im still confident about our chances this year and the years to come.

May 7, 2017, 9:58 AM

I actually expect Israel and possibly cooper to transfer out next year. Like you said, TOO much talent to ride the bench behind Johnson/Lawrence.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2017, 10:04 AM

I honestly think isreal could be a really good qb. For some reason i really like the kid. But id say your right. However for awhile now we have had a mainstay qb. Cole was there for forever and Nick. But if they do leave i bet the do great things wherever they go and i wish them the best.

May 7, 2017, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

> Theres no way that many stars stay and ride the
> bench. And honestly you cant ask them to. The
> competition at qb is exciting as far as im concerned.
> But unless Bryant is our starter this year i dont see
> Lawrence coming in next year and taking the job.
> Regardless of who the starter is im still confident
> t about our chances this year and the years to come.

Shaq Smith and Feaster are two recent examples of five star players who did not come in and start. Top players want in to come in and compete with the best but at Bama Clemson and tOSU they understand that does not mean starting day one. If starting were a deal breaker they would sign with the coots

May 7, 2017, 10:08 AM

I would say thats accurate most of the time. However at qb its a little different especially when you have 5 talented guys competing. Im not saying Lawrence will be scared off by the comp but at least one of the qbs is going to transfer and thats ok

May 7, 2017, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

You got my point. After next season would anybody be surprised to see one of these players transferring to another school? Bryant will be in his fourth year. He could move to another position. The others are young enough to make a career elsewhere. Keep them happy Dabo. It will be a real interesting spring practice next year.

I will be more surprised if 1-2 QBs don't transfer in the

May 7, 2017, 1:24 PM

next year or so.

May 7, 2017, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

Can we keep them all happy at Clemson? IMO, I really don't think so, we would have to have injuries that none of us want to see!!! We will lose one of the best ones if Trevor Lawrence takes the starting position in his freshman year. All of these guys have NFL hopes, and it's very hard getting there from the backup position!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im a people and I dont assume this***

May 7, 2017, 10:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Im a people and I dont assume this***

May 7, 2017, 10:18 AM

How do you know your a people? Did you get the memo? Im still waiting on mine.

Here's the reason: If you had a College Football Draft, 95%

May 7, 2017, 10:25 AM

of teams across the country would draft him #1 if they had the first overall pick.

That is a very rare thing.

For 2017, 247 had Walker Little, an OT commitment to Stanford as the #1 player. But if there was a draft, only a small percentage would take him #1 overall.

For 2016 Rashan Gary was the composite #1 overall player, but once again I doubt the percentage of teams that would draft him #1 would be anywhere near a majority.

I realize it is pure speculation, but I truly believe that Lawrence is one of those truly rare talents..a 6 star type of recruit.

He could fail; talent alone doesn't make a D-1 QB. But assuming he puts in the work and study while avoiding injury, I think he is a can't miss prospect.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Here's the reason: If you had a College Football Draft, 95%

May 7, 2017, 10:26 AM

Agreed!

Re: Here's the reason: If you had a College Football Draft, 95%

May 7, 2017, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Here's the reason: If you had a College Football Draft, 95% ]

Im not saying he wont be a great qb or that we shouldnt take him. Simply stating i dont believe he will start his freshman year. Personally i think Watson benefitted from not starting day 1. I know he was the starter for part of his freshman year but he wasnt the initial starter or the starter all year (even if it was only because of injury). So he was able to get his feet wet so to speak and yet not feel the full pressure of being the main guy. I have love for all our players and hope they all succeed.

May 7, 2017, 10:47 AM

Because the kids stats are off the charts, he is huge yet still mobile, and appears to be a smart player. He has #1 overall pick written all over him right now.

That's why.

May 7, 2017, 10:55 AM

Ok i will put it like this. If you had Watson as a freshman and Boyd as a sophmore would you start Watson. And im talking about watson before all of his accomplishments. Just coming in with potential and hype. We know now that the answer is Watson. But before he played a down in college i would have gone with the already established Boyd.

May 7, 2017, 11:02 AM

That's a different situation. Nobody else is established right now. Ignoring the accomplishments of both and looking at ability freshman Watson would easily start over a senior Boyd.

For all we know a QB on the roster will break all of Watson's records next year and be the undisputed starter but we haven't seen that either. When nobody else is proven it's natural to assume the freak of nature that is Lawrence will start very quickly.

Do you not think XT will be a starter year one? I do.

May 7, 2017, 11:09 AM

> That's a different situation. Nobody else is
> established right now. Ignoring the accomplishments
> of both and looking at ability freshman Watson would
> easily start over a senior Boyd.
>
> For all we know a QB on the roster will break all of
> Watson's records next year and be the undisputed
> starter but we haven't seen that either. When nobody
> else is proven it's natural to assume the freak of
> nature that is Lawrence will start very quickly.
>
> Do you not think XT will be a starter year one? I do.

If Cle and Bryant return for another year XT will not start. I know it is unlikely they both return but if they do...

May 7, 2017, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

Your right nobody is established yet. However Lawrence isnt even on campus yet. By the time he gets on campus one of them will be. Unless things go completely sideways. And the goat didnt start over cole stoudt so there is no way he would start over Boyd. I believe xt will play his freshman year in the rotation but not as the starter. However thats a different situation. Qb is so different than any other position nowadays. Its also worth pointing out the coaches have mentioned on several occasions how athletic and mobile hunter is along with his obvious passing abilities he will not be easy to beat out.

May 7, 2017, 11:21 AM

Watson not starting over Stoudt is probably the biggest mistake as a HC Dabo has ever made. The whole world could see he was the better QB.

May 7, 2017, 11:27 AM

True but you cant argue with the results. Personally i think Dabo had a plan to ease Watson in, but it got to the point he couldnt deny him the field. However, one could argue that Watson wasnt ready as evidenced by his injuries. Granted anyone could get hurt anytime. He could have benefited from a year of putting on weight at the very least. That being said i was fine with him starting.

May 7, 2017, 2:42 PM

LOL Dabo underestimated his freshman QB, plain and simple. It's that not crazy of a thing for a HC to do but he let it go too far. Watson's injury had nothing to do with him starting as a freshman. Freshman start ALL OVER the country. He wasn't a badly undersized kid either.

I can argue with the results. We may have one an extra game or two that year if Watson had played more.

I think it was a learning moment for Dabo. Probably why he chose to go full contact in Spring to see what the young guys would do because he know's they might start.

What a joke. Dabo underestimating talent!! You need a

May 7, 2017, 6:41 PM

few learning moments.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2017, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

That's true. Trevor Lawrence is the real deal. However, how our qb situation shakes out will determine the skill sets of probable starters next year. Hunter Johnson wasn't a 5 star qb for no reason. His weakness is the speed of the college game and getting used to it. I do think that a Johnson or Cooper competing with Lawrence next year is close. Lawrence would beat Kelly Bryant .

May 7, 2017, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are people assuming ]

Boyd as the starter in his sophomore year with DW4 just coming in, Tajh would have remained the starter that year. And I honestly don't know that DW4 would have taken the starter job from Tajh his junior or senior year. Some forget the guy that was there before, but Tajh would have been very hard to forget if he and DW4 was on the roster at the same time. Tajh prove that he was a good college QB, so would have Dabo taken the job from Tajh knowing how he got Talh to Clemson, I don't think he would have....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2017, 2:44 PM

Watson was undeniably better than Boyd. Dabo would have lost the respect of the whole team to waste a talent like Watson to avoid hurting a senior players feelings.

Maybe the greatest...

May 7, 2017, 11:13 AM

sign ever for Clemson?
Ok, ok...I get it. He hasn't even played a down at Clemson. But are we ,vice versa (for arrgument)-
assuming he won't start from day 1?
Many experts are calling Lawrence the best QB who has come out of HS in 10 years. And some
have stated, maybe the best ever.
So while you say...there are capable QBs on roster....NONE OF THEM, have accomplished anything
at Clemson either. So, at this point...it's easy to think right now...MAY 7th, 2017. That
4 different players have a shot at being a starter on day 1 in 2018.

Unless, you're perceiving TL as.....

a bust?

:)

Re: Maybe the greatest...

May 7, 2017, 11:17 AM

If they were all coming in at the same time id probly go with lawrence. But thats just it he isnt going to be at clemson till next year. I definitely dont think he will be a bust

May 7, 2017, 11:33 AM

I knew you didn't...just creating conversation.
Upside, I like Lawrence here. I definitely don't compare him to anyone we've had in the past.
Swinney is taking us to new levels in recruiting, to the likes we've never seen- especially
on offense. And quite frankly...Clemson has never been known as QBU. So, its as good of a sign
as we've ever seen---at this point.
But sure, like you said....some good ones on campus right now too.

thumbs up

May 7, 2017, 11:41 AM

Yea with the receivers and qbs we have had recently its been crazy. Still say dline is the best group we have had for years. Going back to Vic and his group we have had some dominate guys on the line. Please tell me i dont have to like clowney now that DW is a texan. Whoever starts its still a bright future. I still say though Lawrence reminds me of that qb from Remember the titans

May 7, 2017, 12:35 PM

If Dabo stays with his beliefs that the senior man will start until someone can clearly take that spot away. Most everybody said that DW4 would start over Cole but that didn't happen. DW4 had to prove that he deserved the starting spot, and Trevor Lawrence will have to do the same. End of story!!!

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic