Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Tony Elliott Called a Masterful Game i.m.o
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Why Tony Elliott Called a Masterful Game i.m.o

Oct 31, 2020, 8:59 PM

In my opinion this may have been one of Coach Elliott's best called games! You do not put your freshman QB in 2nd and 3rd and long by not gaining yards on 1st down. Sure, we ran it into a loaded box often. But, it kept BC honest. It also prevented the big negative or no gain play on 1st down.
Remember this was DJU 1st start in college. Remember also he doesn't have free rein to check out of plays just yet. Some of those loaded boxes with Trevor would have resulted in a pass play after TL checked out.
The play calling by Coach Elliott also "did not" exploit DJU's other big time asset too much - his running ability! I know he ran it a few times on critical downs; but he didn't run it a ton. Why? Taison has not shown he is ready to lead our offense yet. They only ran DJ when it was obvious TE9 was going to get the ball ( or so they thought ). The timeliness of DJU's runs along with the discipline to stay with the "what seemed" like unproductive 1st down runs.

Good Job Coach Elliott! All things considered given the amount of time DJU had to prep with the starters - and the fact he is a freshman - I thought the play calling was exceptional. The OL needs to do a better job moving people! But, we are still alive for the ACC title and undefeated. Still time to get that corrected.

Those 4 or 5 out routes that DJU threw over the head of a few receivers was there! That's just a "more reps" thing! The play calling was exceptional.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Tony Elliott Called a Masterful Game i.m.o

Oct 31, 2020, 9:15 PM

This!

https://unfoldtimes.com/clemsons-latest-star-is-born-as-freshman-qb-d-j-uiagalelei-shines-bright-in-comeback-win/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2020, 10:00 PM

I just read your posted article which led me to scratching my head. I don’t know where you found this, but it reads like it was copied from one place, translated into Mandarin, which was translated into Russian, which was translated into Polish, which was translated back into English. I was thinking, why would DJ be chilling in the soccer facility....then it hit me that “football” would be translated into soccer from a different cultural viewpoint,

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2020, 9:16 PM

Good points. It doesn't take much to put an offense into third and long, higher percentage play calls are the way to go. We also don't know what adjustments were made to the gameplan after falling behind.

Oct 31, 2020, 9:18 PM

Amen!

Oct 31, 2020, 9:43 PM

I thought we could have thrown to the middle of the field more. Then I was thinking on the drive home that Amari was not playing in the slot today very much because Ladson and Ngata were not playing. I think that may have had something to do with it.

We did not do a lot of designed QB runs or read option plays I assume because the backup QB has a broken hand. I am not sure we would have truly known how ready to play #7 was today

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic