Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why South Carolina Wins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Why South Carolina Wins

Dec 3, 2013, 1:47 AM

Because it is about winning....

1) Spurrier threatens to leave in his third year unless the academic requirements for admission is lowered for football players to match that of Florida and Georgia. This is granted, the hell with academics.
2) His star quarterback has 5 run ins with team rules and the law. Yet he is not punished and plays
3) An assistant coach is drunk and urinates in public. The assistant misses no practices and is not reprimanded
4) an underage offensive lineman is caught with an open container. no punishment
5) a reporter is "run out" or the press room and not allowed to return. Keep in mind this is a school with a journalism college. Nothing said to the coach and his wishes are upheld.
Of course there are many many more..... but they are serious about winning. What do we do? Well my friend we go out and hire a new AD. The same AD that brought the wonderful Paul Johnson to GT. And now you wonder why we are losing. we are more worried about image. we are now the GT of South Carolina.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why South Carolina Wins

Dec 3, 2013, 4:50 AM

The sec is a football first academic second organization. The acc is opposite. That's why college grads from Clemson get paid a significant amount more than South Carolina.

Dec 3, 2013, 6:12 AM

10-2 is not winning? high graduating rate is not winning?
The next question is, Can't be them, join them? I don't think so. Not worst it. Stay in the right race and success will come. WERE HAVE BEEN AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE BLESS, IF WE DO THE RIGHT THINGS AS A FOOTBALL PROGRAM. STAY PATIENT MY FRIENDS. GOOD THINGS DON'T COME FAST OR HAPPENS. OVERNIGHT. IF SO, IT WON'T LAST

Dec 3, 2013, 7:59 AM

you my friend are a loser

Dec 3, 2013, 8:31 AM

CUTotal may have a point.....in all a seriousness.

Bama gets in trouble, Auburn gets in trouble....both schools compete for NC's. Southern Cal, Ohio State suffer probations....also have national championship trophies to show for it though.

Last time Clemson got in serious trouble....National Championship.

USCheat stays on probation and

Dec 3, 2013, 9:04 AM

Missouri passes them in two years.

Re: USCheat stays on probation and

Dec 3, 2013, 9:35 AM

Hey 80! You're posting actual commentary.

Dec 4, 2013, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

South Carolina knows there is no real accountability, so they chose not to abide by NCAA regulations. They got caught, but at the end of the day it's about the perception of having a winning University and money.

Their football program is now in the best position in their history and their baseball program won consecutive national championships. (so I'm sure they laugh about the NCAA violations) Having said that, their football program has been relevant, but hasn't won anything of value.

I would prefer Clemson do things with integrity, (even if it takes longer) so that they have the right foundation and can sustain success. If success is built on lies, it will eventually catch up to you.

Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

> The sec is a football first academic second
> organization. The acc is opposite. That's why college
> grads from Clemson get paid a significant amount more
> than South Carolina.

I have heard this for years. Most schools (outside of Ivy League & legacy institutions) with higher salaries for their graduates have a greater percentage of students in fields with higher pay. Mainly engineers.
Colorado School Of Mines is often near the top for that reason.

Let's say the average engineer salary is $75,000 and the average teacher salary is $40,000.

If the education levels were identical, a school with 2000 engineers/ 1000 education graduates would have a much higher average graduate salary than a school with 1000 engineers/ 2000 education majors.

However, when comparing apples to apples, the difference between USC and CU is not so easily discerned.

From payscale.com 2013-2014 college salary report
Clemson
Bachelor of Science (BS / BSc), Mechanical Engineering (ME)
80 salaries
$51,161 - $109,632

Bachelor of Science (BS / BSc), Civil Engineering (CE)
73 salaries
$42,808 - $94,906

USC
University of South Carolina - Main Campus

Bachelor of Science (BS / BSc), Mechanical Engineering (ME)
32 salaries
$49,482 - $132,126   

Bachelor of Science (BS / BSc), Civil Engineering (CE)
15 salaries
$48,471 - $92,738  

I have one son who went to CU in engineering and one who went to USC in engineering. FWIW, In my small sample, the quality of education seemed about the same. It's more about the student applying themself as to how far they advance after graduation.

Dec 3, 2013, 6:50 AM

Garcia beat you once....Clemson has had its share of stairwell girlfriend throwing....towel rod girlfriend beating......smoking pot arrests players left on the team as South Carolina.

you just named everyone of our incidents. now, would you

Dec 3, 2013, 6:55 AM

care to list all y'alls ? you might want to put (long) in the subject header,though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you just named everyone of our incidents. now, would you

Dec 3, 2013, 7:09 AM

The topic stated why the current streak started....anything before that has nothing to do with what he said...

Dec 3, 2013, 8:02 AM [ in reply to you just named everyone of our incidents. now, would you ]

the list of incidents at USC/Columbia Jr College... it goes on and on an on and on and on. the points being, you have a head coach who cares about one thing. the heck with graduation, discipline, etc. he is there to win. I wish we had someone like him.

As a CU grad I completely disagree.

Dec 3, 2013, 10:05 AM

We are an academic institution first. If win at all costs is what you are looking for become a fan of the New York Yankees or Dallas Cowboys. I would prefer our institution to have class and dignity.

Dec 3, 2013, 8:28 AM [ in reply to you just named everyone of our incidents. now, would you ]

He misspelled his name. It's really moronic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2013, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

Clemson lost because it committed 6 turnovers this year and couldn't stop a running QB on 3rd down. Clemson last last year because the defense couldn't stop a running QB on third down and got beat up by a good defense. Clemson lost the previous three years by offensive ineptitude and a soft, weak defense.

Dec 3, 2013, 7:35 AM

the last 5 years they have scored at least 10 or more points a game than we have.

Dec 3, 2013, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

that is correct......we lost... how about the previous four years. we have had better talent 3 of the last five years and get better athletes. look again, we are once again rated ahead of them via scout and rivals.

Dec 3, 2013, 8:22 AM

These recruiting sites give big points and high stars to wr s, rb s, etc. Clemson gets a ton of highly touted wr s year end and year out. Carolina signs a ton of o linemen, de, defensive tackle types, some in betweeners who don't get as much hype or "star" power so to speak. Recruiting sites are made for the fans. They are fun and informative to some degree, but don't really measure a successful signing class. Clemsons recruiting style has been highly successful in the acc, and dabo does a heck of a job with that.

Dec 3, 2013, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

Not much on moral victories when it comes to wins & losses. Big deal if we are getting the high recruiting rating if we can't coach up their natural abilities. We have been inept at getting the most out of our big time recruiting years. BTW, the reason the South Carolina rating is lower is due to taking much fewer recruits this year than we are.

Do you really want to go toe-to-toe

Dec 3, 2013, 7:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

with SCar vs Clemson arrest records? Really? You might want to re-think that.

Re: Do you really want to go toe-to-toe

Dec 3, 2013, 8:04 AM

I am...... and USC/Columbia Jr College has a HUGE HUGE advantage there. it is not the point, I wish we had an administration who was focused on winning.

Re: Do you really want to go toe-to-toe

Dec 3, 2013, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Do you really want to go toe-to-toe ]

Some just don't think these things through.

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2013, 7:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

good reply moronic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2013, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

Garcia was in trouble FIVE times and never punished. I never said our players were angels..... just punished unlike your players. it is in fact a compliment. you do what it takes to win. your coach is there to win games and beat us....

Dec 3, 2013, 8:11 AM

taking a player as your rep to the acc preseason meetings is some pretty tough punishment for throwing your gf down the stairs. Your guys are not choir boys, so stop trying to convince everyone they are. We recruit the same guys every year.

Dec 3, 2013, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Why South Carolina Wins ]

I recall Garcia was banned from a Spring season, suspended from the University for a semester and eventually kicked off the team.

th***

Dec 3, 2013, 8:10 AM

Their coaches are better game managers***

Dec 3, 2013, 8:11 AM

Agree totally... Win at ALL costs. It takes much longer to do it the right way like Dabo.***

Dec 3, 2013, 8:32 AM

Quick Question, since you seem to have it all figured out...

Dec 3, 2013, 10:01 AM

What has the new AD done to hurt our football team? The answer is absolutely nothing.

As for the other things...I don't care what usuc does, they aren't Clemson.

If you wish to be held to a lower standard academically and ethically, by all means convert to a coot fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

They scored more points than we did.***

Dec 3, 2013, 10:06 AM

You care about football more than our University?

Dec 3, 2013, 10:08 AM

Integrity first!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2013, 10:17 AM

1)He wanted to level the playing field with schools such as Clemson who allow students in if they are approved by the NCAA clearing house.
2)He was forced to take a redshirt year. He was forced to sit out spring practice, personally I would have cut Garcia lose. But if I were making that decision I would cut lose quite a few players across the country.
3)He was fined one months salary. He was not eligible for any post season bonuses and was not eligible for a raise in a year when many assistants received 6 figure raises.
4)Who is the offensive lineman? Look in the mirror before you throw rocks though. I understand it's been over 20 years and things may be different now, but when I was in school and went to Clemson a football player could do just about anything he wanted to at TD's or Tigertown. Conversely, a Gamecock could get away with just about anything he wanted to in 5 Points. Coaches on both sides know underage kids are drinking and can easily catch them if they want to, not sure why a ticket changes that.
5)Can't understand why anyone would defend Ron Morris. He is Finebaum with a smaller audience.

Not defending any of those actions, just pointing out the fallacies and also think if you judge your own program by the same measuring stick you may not like the picture you see either. I am sure a lot of Clemson fans are calling for Jameis Winston's head, but that story is eerily similar to Kenny Flowers.

Dec 4, 2013, 5:51 AM

Here we go again, let's stick with the facts

1) academics were aligned to meet the NCAA standards, the same ones that Clemson uses for athletes. So to say it correctly, he lowered the standards for football players to the same as Clemson.

2) Star quarterback is suspended numerous times, forced to miss games and seasons, mostly for beer. To say he is "not punished and plays" is a lie

3) said assistant coach is reprimanded and forfeits about $15,000

4) don't know about this one, but do you really want to go down this path when Dabo lets a player who beats up his girlfriend never miss a game?

5) said reporter was caught with, as the journalists say "misstatements".

Come on, we aren't perfect and neither is. Clemson. But the win streak is very simple; our recruiting, player development, facilities and funding are all improved. Our graduation rates and GPR are both at all time highs. Our program is at least equal, and for the last several years, perhaps better than Clemson in several areas. Quit making up excuses, with emphasis on "making up".

You guys have a good program and so do we. Live with it.

None of that has one thing to with our

Dec 4, 2013, 6:24 AM

committing turnovers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 6:57 AM

> Because it is about winning....
>
> 1) Spurrier threatens to leave in his third year
> unless the academic requirements for admission is
> lowered for football players to match that of Florida
> and Georgia. This is granted, the hell with
> academics.
> 2) His star quarterback has 5 run ins with team rules
> and the law. Yet he is not punished and plays
> 3) An assistant coach is drunk and urinates in
> public. The assistant misses no practices and is not
> reprimanded
> 4) an underage offensive lineman is caught with an
> open container. no punishment
> 5) a reporter is "run out" or the press room and not
> allowed to return. Keep in mind this is a school
> with a journalism college. Nothing said to the coach
> and his wishes are upheld.
> Of course there are many many more..... but they are
> serious about winning. What do we do? Well my
> friend we go out and hire a new AD. The same AD that
> brought the wonderful Paul Johnson to GT. And now
> you wonder why we are losing. we are more worried
> about image. we are now the GT of South Carolina.

Anyone else tired of these stupid mostly fiction excuses!

Dec 4, 2013, 8:38 AM

EXCUSES!

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic