Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I hate the eye test; and other playoff ramblings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Why I hate the eye test; and other playoff ramblings

Nov 7, 2018, 6:28 AM

The "eye test", what a joke. That's purely the committee and ESPiN coining a phrase to distract everyone from the fact that it allows them to rank teams wherever they want. If the SEC used an "eye test" Alabama would have won the west last season as well as every season for the past ten. I didn't hear anyone complain that they didn't. If the ACC used it, you could have just handed FSU the conference for about 20 years.

How have they not come up with a simple formula for ranking teams nationally? This is a real question that I would like to hear some answers on. Also, what would a good formula look like?

I'll give it a stab.
1. Congerence championship is worth 5 points
2. Division championship is worth 3 points
3. Top 10 wins worth 2 points
4. Top 25 wins worth 1.5 points
5. Fbs wins worth 1 point
*your point total changes based on the ranking of an opponent. I.E. LSU's win over a top ten team in Miami week one is scored as a complete joke and now recieves only one point.

I may use this system to rank last years teams and see how it works out. The only way for it to be fair (I use that word not in the interest of making vollege football PC but in the interest of taking away the total BS of it) is to have a transparent ranking system where every team knows their path to the post season and we eliminate preseason rankings having any bearing on the final rankings.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I don't always agree with the opinions of the eye test

Nov 7, 2018, 6:40 AM

I would hate to have any system that ranks teams with metrics and without common sense subjectivity.

Notre Dame and Bama have similar resumes if you did the metrics....but how many people think Bama would not crush ND if they played on the field? From what I have seen, Bama by 15+ points easily head to head. So, Bama should be ranked ahead.

You can't lose subjectivity when looking at rankings, IMO.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

15+??? I’ll say 24+.***

Nov 7, 2018, 7:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

common sense subjectivity is why the football

Nov 7, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to While I don't always agree with the opinions of the eye test ]

NC will always fail.

rankings are subjective so you are saying you can't lose subjectivity when looking at subjectivity

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Why I hate the eye test; and other playoff ramblings

Nov 7, 2018, 6:48 AM

Add head to head matchups Need to carry a high point value

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only, and I mean the absolute only way to rank teams...

Nov 7, 2018, 7:19 AM

is a 64 team playoff. It will require four super conferences with four pods in each conference and four teams in each pod.

Pod championships will be the first and second rounds. The four pod champs will play in the third and fourth rounds. The four conference champs will play in the fifth and sixth rounds. The sixth will be the true undisputed, undeniable championship game.

No need for eyetest, no need for SOS or any of the other highly subjective factors in team selections. It all plays out on the field with absolute fairness to all and the final ranking remains the only one that counts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or just don't rank them.

Nov 7, 2018, 11:55 AM

conference champs get in via a conference champ game. ..

Every1 else, pound sand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

So you want to go back to the BCS?

Nov 7, 2018, 7:40 AM

I'm all for having a consistent ranking system, but there is just not going to be a simple formula. There are too many teams and too few playoff spots to have a simple formula. There has to be some subjectivity and therefore there will always be debates.

Up to this point, I think the committee has gotten the top 6 correct. There are a few (LSU) that are ranked too low, but I think it will all sort itself out. There's really no point in getting upset about it at this point because there are so many games left to be played, and history tells us there will be some shake up.

This actually makes sense ...

Nov 7, 2018, 8:54 AM

and it would probably be the end of scheduling FCS teams (which is a good thing).

We virtually already have a great system in place. Just need

Nov 7, 2018, 7:32 PM

a minor tweak! We have 10 power five division winners, So, let the conference championship games be the first round of the playoff. You then have five conference champs, so now the CFP committee does only two things...decide which of the five gets left out, and seed the four remaining.

This would eliminate 90% of the committee's subjectivity, and the ridiculous "eye test". I puts the team selections mostly on the field of play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And Notre Dame first one out!

Nov 7, 2018, 7:37 PM

Sorry whiners, join a conference!!

Winner!***

Nov 7, 2018, 7:53 PM [ in reply to We virtually already have a great system in place. Just need ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2018, 7:40 PM

It has helped us. Everyone is talking about us looking strong lately.

Nov 7, 2018, 7:43 PM

I think our 9-0 record has helped us.

Nov 7, 2018, 7:55 PM

If we would have won each game by 3 points we may have issues. Now they are talking about us like an obvious top 2 team. They were actually saying today that we might even be able to lose a game. They said the same about Bama today.

I like the vollege footballs as well***

Nov 7, 2018, 7:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2018, 8:00 PM

Too simple. Your ranking system depends on rankings - how do you start? There will be bias (like SEC bias and geographic bias) in any ranking system done by people. It is arguably never fair or objective.

What about staleness of wins or losses. Losing the first game of the year is not the same as losing the last.

Subjectivity and the eye test fixes issues like swapping QBs and injuries.

It's not an easy nut to crack.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic