Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I can't stand Notre Dame!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Why I can't stand Notre Dame!

Jul 30, 2020, 10:47 AM

Was listening to the Audible Podcast this morning (with Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman) about the ACC's Schedule Announcement yesterday. Since it was an ACC-centric podcast, naturally their guest was a Notre Dame Beatwriter...

I can't remember his name but the tone of his interview was almost elegiac (dare I say, lugubrious?), bemoaning that poor ND has had to give up their precious independence to save their 2020 season.

He had two thoughts on why this happened behind the scenes (the concessions of ND):

That privately some of the ND powers secretly think the season still won't happen so this was only a nominal concession and they still weren't going to have to follow through with it; and

(I'm paraphrasing the sentiment) that ND felt comfortable that they were in good hands because of ND ties with ACC institutions (specifically UNC AD Bubba Cunningham was a former ND Assc AD and NC St's AD Boo Corrigan is a ND Alum) who understand "the significance of Notre Dame's independence for the greater good of college football" That's a literal quote. What?!

If that doesn't make you want to puke...

As I've posted before, it's not 1945 anymore. Knute Rockne and the Four Horsemen are dead and buried. We watch college football on color TVs now. No one outside of South Bend thinks ND's independence has ANY effect on CFB.

I LOVE that they've had to give up a piece of their little holy NBC pie to the ACC! Now we just need to finish what's been started and get them to join full time!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why I can't stand Notre Dame!

Jul 30, 2020, 10:57 AM

ND. Doesn’t really bother me. They are what they are. So are the Clemson Tigers. They become relevant When they play the Tigers. Otherwise, they are just another team struggling to be a college football powerhouse the equal of the Tigers, good luck

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 11:08 AM

I'm not a fan of ND, and think they're usually overrated most seasons. Their fans thinking highly of their team doesn't really bother me though. We all have a higher opinion of our teams than fans of other teams think is justified.

Have you ever heard a Clemson fan utter the phrase

Jul 30, 2020, 11:11 AM

"it's important that Clemson does ________for the greater good of college football"?

It's important that Clemson releases balloons at gameday for the greater good of college football.

It's important that Clemson plays at 1PM for the greater good of college football.

Re: Have you ever heard a Clemson fan utter the phrase

Jul 30, 2020, 1:06 PM

No, but most people don't like change, and they're probably simply afraid of change including keeping games with certain OOC teams like USC and Navy. That probably translates into thinking the rest of the college football world cares about these things as well. It's a bit naive and cocky, but it's fans being fans IMO.

Agreed.. ND thinks they are bigger than college

Jul 30, 2020, 11:09 AM

Football and deserves special consideration.

It is a very egotistical attitude but let's be honest, the conferences , media, and bowls continue to enable this attitdue.

2nd thing I dislike about ND is their fans. For some reason, every person who has a hint of Irish background thinks they have to pull for ND. Any 1 who is catholic as well.

My family is Irish catholic so I constantly have to deal with these knuckle heads. ND doesn't care about you, Ireland, or the pope.

I dare say very few ND students afte Irish or catholic now adays. 95% sure the rocket and the missile were not Irish or catholic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

That's my problem--it's a classic chicken-or-egg situation.

Jul 30, 2020, 11:14 AM

Is do people still treat Notre Dame like a big deal because they are a big deal or are they a big deal because people still treat them like they're a big deal?

If ND had won as many titles as say Bama the last 20 years then yeah, they'd still be a big deal but Clemson, FSU, UF, Bama, LSU, Oklahoma, OSU, Nebraska, Miami, have all won more titles since 1980 than ND has even sniffed.

My family is Irish Catholic too...

Jul 30, 2020, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Agreed.. ND thinks they are bigger than college ]

and we all hate ND.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have an instructional video you can share?***

Jul 30, 2020, 1:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 30, 2020, 11:19 AM

Personally, I could not care less if ND joins the ACC or if they ride off into the sunset. Every fan base has it’s arrogant jerks but ND seems to top the list in my opinion . Clemson and the ACC has done well without them. Either go ALL IN or ALL OUT.

That's the rub though--they're halfway in the ACC and have

Jul 30, 2020, 11:30 AM

been since 2014 and they get access to ACC-bowl tie-ins but have (other than this year) no revenue-sharing requirements.

They also can (as in 2018) take up another conference's CFB Playoff spot. If they had been a full ACC member in 2018, we would've taken care of their beatdown during the regular season and a more deserving team would've taken their place.

But we wouldn't have beaten down an undefeated 12-0 ND ..

Jul 30, 2020, 1:40 PM

team.

Com'on now, wasn't that fun?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 12:01 PM

Why in the world are so many people screaming about Notre Dame. If we had the original schedule, we had to beat Notre Dame to make the Playoffs and that is still the case. NOTRE DAME IS ON THE SCHEDULE EITHER WAY. Also who gives up something something of value? Notre Dame is sharing their NBC money with 14 other teams and the ACC teams already shared their money with each other so whose bank account is better off. Stop being jealous of the past and celebrate the present. GO TIGERS>

Jul 30, 2020, 12:37 PM

Five games only, those 5 game won't make up a schedule with conferences only scheduling one OOC game. That would have left ND high and Dry without a schedule if not for Swofford and the ACC bailing them out. The grip was there to force ND to join the ACC with their FB also, or sit out this season if there is actually a season, would they have been willing to take that risk, I don't think they would have been, but now, they get a share of anything the ACC will pay their member schools with or without a full season!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 1:10 PM

I doubt ND would've had trouble finding opponents for the other 5 or 6 games on their schedule. That may or may not have included other P5 teams, but they would have found other teams to fill that schedule with. Even if they didn't, it's not as if ND was going to break their remaining contract with NBC and give up their independence over 5 or 6 games in a season that may not get played anyway.

Can we hate on ND because it keeps

Jul 30, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Why I can't stand Notre Dame! ]

Us warm?

Jul 30, 2020, 12:30 PM

After ND has saw, and has went through the what if's if something happens, and conference affiliations would be their only savior. Now that the ACC has saved their butts, they are still declining an ACC commitment with their precious FB program.

It is my opinion that the only reason that ND join the ACC with their sports other than FB and Hockey, is bc if anything was to ever happen in sports to where a conference affiliation would be necessary to survive, then their chances would be better with some sort of attachment to a conference as they attached themselves to the ACC without the two sports that are their biggest money makers through a long term money contract with NBC sports.

IMO, I don't believe that ND will ever bring those two sports into the ACC as long as the ACC will cater to them bc of their other sports that are attached to the ACC. I don't think that the ACC was the best fit for ND, but they had no other choice bc no other conference would bring them in under the same circumstances as the ACC did allow ND to join. It was a win and winning big for ND in times like now, they have a FB schedule without their FB being directly connected to a conference, but they riding on the backs of the ACC without a FB commitment to any conference. What does the ACC benefit from ND riding on the back of the ACC, not so much for the ACC bc, the ACC could have had just as many scheduled games without ND!!! The ACC could have had it's regular season 12 game schedule without ND. The most important question should be, how many games could have ND schedule without riding on the back of the ACC. When and if things return to normal next season, ND will be back to selling it's biggest TV money deals without the ACC attached to any of it. ACC equals, The Atlantic coast conference of STUPID DUMP A$$ES!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 1:26 PM

Can you explain why the deal with ND for not only this year, but the yearly contract is bad for the ACC? I mean reasons beyond just not liking ND or feeling like they should join a conference. Has it hurt any ACC team on the field? Has ND really gotten any bowl games in place of a well deserving ACC team that got screwed over? Are each of the ACC schools making more or less money from television revenue than before the ND deal?

in my very early 20's, I was at a party with a lot of

Jul 30, 2020, 12:39 PM

friends. There were two brothers we didn't know. We asked who they were and their first response was "You don't know us because we attended Notre Dame." One friend quickly responded, "that don't mean shyt to us rednecks from Chesterfield."

Ever since then, I've had a bad taste in my mouth for ND.,

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: in my very early 20's, I was at a party with a lot of

Jul 30, 2020, 12:53 PM

Reminds me of a story my father in law told me.

Years ago him in a meeting with some really uptight peers from another Northern division of law enforcement. Going into a break after several hours of pretentious rhetoric asked the lead guy, “how long have I known you” guy says, “well about three hours, of course, why do you ask????” Father in law replies, “that’s long enough” lifts his cheek and rips a loud fart. Guy didn’t say a darn thing from then on after everyone laughed him out of the room for 10 minutes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that story "reeked" with laughter. Kudo's to your father!!

Jul 30, 2020, 12:57 PM

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that story "reeked" with laughter. Kudo's to your father!!

Jul 30, 2020, 1:38 PM

You can just imagine the guys’ face, lol!

Afternoon MyFavO!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that story "reeked" with laughter. Kudo's to your father!!

Jul 30, 2020, 2:43 PM

Afternoon BbO!!

I looked it up and I am still not certain what it means...

Jul 30, 2020, 1:09 PM

What does elegiac mean in English?
expressing sorrow or lamentation: elegiac strains. Classical Prosody. noting a distich or couplet the first line of which is a dactylic hexameter and the second a pentameter, or a verse differing from the hexameter by suppression of the arsis or metrically unaccented part of the third and the sixth foot.

Jul 30, 2020, 1:22 PM

Notre Dame? Don't care. Nothing riles up their fans blood more than being irrelevant.

with a .750 winning average against them, they place somewhere between Wake 0.794 and Duke 0.694. And personally, I rather play Wake (because they are generally good folks) and Duke (neighbors). Why would I want to play some suburban Chicago school.

Their only real claim to fame is that they are the only school in the 3rd largest TV market (Chicago) because Illnois and NW don't really count. Sure USC is in LA but you also have UCLA - lol. That is why everyone looses it with USC as well when they do well.

Great post thanks....

Jul 30, 2020, 1:37 PM

I pray the season is a go and they lose a few "cup cake" ACC games.

No one gives a rat's a$$ about ND football independence outside of South Bend.

Agree, but time to stop blaminig ND and start blaming the

Jul 30, 2020, 1:46 PM

enablers like Clemson president Clements and the other 13 ACC presidents, as well as Swofford.

Our president and athletic director need to get an earful, or this type of nonsense will continue.

Does ANYONE think ND still has ANY effect on CFB?***

Jul 30, 2020, 1:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

They just caused 14 schools to have to change their

Jul 30, 2020, 2:08 PM

entire schedules. They just made our path to the playoffs considerably more difficult, so I would say yes.

Not hardly...

Jul 30, 2020, 2:16 PM

At the end of the day, Notre Dame manipulated one incompetent conference commissioner who couldn't negotiate his way out of his own friggin' driveway with a map, a compass, and a GPS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And 14 idiot university president voted yes, including ours.

Jul 30, 2020, 2:19 PM

THey all need to be shown the door.

I'm not sure what the vote was. but...

Jul 30, 2020, 3:00 PM

they sure seem to have gotten out hoodooed by the snake oil salesman at Notre Dame.

The report said the vote was unanimous***

Jul 30, 2020, 4:09 PM

Jul 30, 2020, 1:56 PM

I like Notre Dame staying independent in football - playing a few teams from each conference mostly throughout a season. There's a lot of tradition behind many of their annual games, which I do believe is good for a sport that is greatly steeped in tradition.

Losing the annual Oklahoma/Nebraska and Texas vs TAMU games over conference realignments, such as is being pushed for Notre Dame joining the ACC, as a fan of college football overall this represents a net loss for the game, IMO.

Notre Dame is a decent program, sometimes good, sometimes not. They're a decent OOC game that garners extra national attention, which is good for us. Ultimately, I believe we are all better off with them right where they are and am very okay with this year's arrangement.

Go Tigers.

Then why are they all up in our conference creating chaos?

Jul 30, 2020, 2:24 PM

If they love independence so much, then be independent. Stay on ABC, have to go undefeated to get in the playoff, occasionally take another power 5 conference spot, play their independent schedule and stay out of the way. If they agreed to play 5 acc games, then good, play those 5 and stay the hell out of the way.

Most years Notre Dame is 4-2 by the 6th week of season and I rarely remember that they are on NBC. Nobody that is keeping up with conference races thinks of them for one minute unless they are threatening to take a playoff spot. Most years they are not.

It sounds like you just can't stand that one beat writer.

Jul 30, 2020, 2:45 PM

He doesn't speak for their athletics department, so don't take what he says as if it came from their AD's mouth. If the season happens per the schedule that was released yesterday, the ACC will make a good deal of money because of it and they'll boost everyone's SOS that they play. Who cares what some pompous blowhard thinks? I want them in the conference and so should you. They'll immediately become the biggest fan base and highest revenue team in the conference, and they have a great (albeit ancient) history. As far as the championship game goes, there's no reason to not look at it on a season-by-season basis. So far, they haven't checked the boxes for membership (full conference schedule, revenue sharing) so they haven't been able to compete. Potentially for 2020, they will, so they get to. Who knows for 2021, but I hope they stay.

Why can nobody else see the benefits of ND being in the ACC?! Would you rather have BYU or Army?! I'm sick and tired of our schedule getting crapped on every year and ND is the best option available for fixing that! Let's get them in!

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic