Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Banks is Clemson's Greatest Athelete...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,138

Why Banks is Clemson's Greatest Athelete...

Apr 6, 2020, 8:57 AM

Excellence in 3 Sports (Football, Basketball, Track)
All-American in 2
Clemson retired his jersey in 2 sports
Won a national award as most versatile athlete
Played on offense, defense and punted in Football
As a member of 1940 Cotton Bowl Team established Clemson as a Football Power

Served his Country for four years in WW II in North Africa and Italy
Served Clemson University for 43 years as player, coach and administrator
Head Coach of both Basketball and Track
Assistant Coach in Football for over 20 years

The latter may seem unfair to include for Best Athlete, but given how difficult it is to appreciate someone we never saw play, I'm pulling out all the stops.

Simply Banks McFadden by all accounts was a humble and gracious man. A loving family man and a man devoted to Clemson University. "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction"... that IS Banks McFadden.

I saw DW be Legendary and I love him for it.

But Banks McFadden is Clemson's Greatest Athlete.

Thanks, I had my say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Banks is Clemson's Greatest Athelete...

Apr 6, 2020, 9:00 AM

Probably 25% of our football team could do all he did and better if they went back magically in time. I still liked the read though. Good stuff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 9:48 AM

I’d like to see your list of the 25%. So let me see let me throw out a name like Skalski. So you think he can take the mound offer 3 different pitches effectively then grab the track spikes afterwards? Maybe a QB could so that narrows the percentage maybe to 2%?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Why Banks is Clemson's Greatest Athelete... ]

You stuck on 25 % dude

Apr 6, 2020, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Why Banks is Clemson's Greatest Athelete... ]

You stuck on 25 % dude

Apr 6, 2020, 9:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMdmWlUo4A4

Apr 6, 2020, 9:51 AM

Perfect description of why the vote should not even be close. The huge offensive lines of the 70's, Steve Fuller and Jerry Butler were the back bones of putting Clemson on the football map and we see evidence of those days every time we go to a game and look at the caps, helmets and names on the wall. Homer Jordan, William Perry, Jeff Davis, Terry Kinard and Perry Tuttle took a little known team to a National Championship. Tajh Boyd, CJ Spiller, Hopkins, Watkins and Watson started the path that brought us the 2nd National Championship and now a 3rd and hopefully many more to come.

The fact is unless the criteria are changed, we will never see Deshawn on the stadium wall but he is the father of modern Clemson football and all fans owe him a huge THANK YOU, but Banks McFadden is the greatest athlete of all time at Clemson.

Apr 6, 2020, 11:09 AM

Sorry I'm confused by this, why would the criteria need to change in order for DW4 to be in the Ring of Honor? Would think he's deserving and only a matter of when he'll be in, not if.

Apr 6, 2020, 9:59 AM

He was a super guy and an even better athlete . By all accounts one of the best of his era .
My problem is that his era being so long ago , and with the advent of so many variables and improvements in athletic training would he have been able to do those things in today's Clemson environment .
He would of course still be an amazing athlete and a great player , but there are just so many kids these days who can take advantage of better nutrition regimens , scientifically advanced training methods and the like .
I wouldn't have any problem saying he's the best at Clemson but I never got to see him play .
I saw DW4 and what I saw was a guy who was better than anyone on the field regardless of the position . I saw a kid just outright take games over ...big games , championships . I saw him slash for touchdowns to beat our rival on a gimped knee . I see him tearing it up against professionals nowadays .
My vote would go to Watson , but I respect what you've written in favor of Mr. McFadden and I think you have a marvelous argument .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,138
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic