Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Believe Coach Venables is going to delight the Clemson fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,571

Believe Coach Venables is going to delight the Clemson fans

Jul 12, 2012, 12:49 AM

and make the "D" what we & it expect...a beast!

Go TiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

at the very least

Jul 12, 2012, 2:23 AM

if he can get them to run downhill and drill folks, wrap up and play fundamentally sound, the athleticism we have on that side of the ball will take us to another level. We have way too much speed and way too much athleticism on D for our Defense to lose ground with a lack of aggressiveness......

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? I have my doubts that he is better than...

Jul 12, 2012, 6:49 AM

Steele. Sooners fans were happy to see him bolt. I think we had some talent issues on D and Steele kind of got a raw deal. I think the D will be great in a year or two no matter what with the talent we are landing coupled with the fact that we are finally getting the LB situation sorted out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there will be fans that are happy when dabo leaves, what's

Jul 12, 2012, 7:00 AM

your point?

if you take the fans out of the equation, which you should, most say it was a fantastic hire.

how it works out, idk? a lot of football people said ted roof got a raw deal this year. malzahn's offense isn't defensive user friendly; guess what, cu has morris and dabo was clear one of the reasons he wanted venables was his experience as dc against and with a spread offense.

we'll see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why? I have my doubts that he is better than...

Jul 12, 2012, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Why? I have my doubts that he is better than... ]

Sometime, it is best to think about what you are going to say before you say it. When people that eat sleep and live FB everyday of their lives say that BV is a very good defensive coach. A hand full of pissed off fans b/c BV left say that he isn't a good coach. And you take their word for it. BV had a couple of not the best years that could have been b/c of not the best talent. And all of a sudden, he has forgot everything he knows about coaching a top defense. For very old coaches maybe, but not BV. I believe that he will be just fine at Clemson. Alot of times when people think like that. They have #### blood running threw their veins.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2012, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Why? I have my doubts that he is better than... ]

One of Steele's major problems last year was mid-game adjustments. He went into each game with a particular gameplan and if it wasn't working he changed very little with his scheme to compensate.

One example was the game against South Carolina. A fundamental scheme to run when you are facing a running quarterback (once he established hisself as that during the game) is to designate a spy that shadows his every move. Shaw almost single-handedly won that game on the ground for them.

Another example was the jet sweep in the OB fiasco. It has never been, and will never be, acceptable at any level of football to allow the same play to beat you that many times in one game. Period.

And another game that exposed Steele's defensive philosophy and lack of mid-game adjustments: Georgia Tech. Every defensive coach will tell you there are certain schemes you run against the triple option. You attack, attack, attack. How does the triple option beat you?...When you sit back on your heels and wait for the ball carriers to reach the second level of the defense. This was also a fundamentally poor decision by Steele as far as a scheme. It wasn't working in the first half, so make halftime adjustments. But no, more of the same in the second half.

Jul 12, 2012, 8:44 AM

Steele only had TWO good D games last year - both against the same team - VT. If Logan Thomas had decided to become a running QB in either of those games, we would not have beat VT. Sad - but I believe it to be true. Steele has no idea what he's doing on a football field. His guys looked lost on EVERY play - save the VT games. We struggled against EVERY other team. PERIOD.

Obviously the OC at VT isn't all that good either. He's the only OC in the country that couldn't see our weaknesses. I'm surprised he's still at VT. (And I think he's a former CLEMSON guy - that's even sadder).

Absolutely PERFECT assessment and examples about Steele.

Jul 12, 2012, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Why? I have my doubts that he is better than... ]

Some of your words sounded like direct quotes from discussions I had with some of my Clemson friends. "Spy", the rather obvious jet sweep ad nauseum, and "attack" against the triple option; all were exactly our points when discussing those games. I'm no coach and I never played beyond Jr. High, but I do consider myself a fairly knowledgeable fan. That said, how can it be so blatantly clear to us and yet a defensive coordinator with 25 years experience couldn't see it? The LBs last year were ALWAYS waiting to react if they were even in a position to do so. Half the time, they seemed like they were playing musical chairs. I don't fault the players. It all falls on Steele's scheme.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Believe Coach Venables is going to delight the Clemson fans

Jul 12, 2012, 2:49 PM

What teams, if any, have better coaching staffs than Clemson?

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,571
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic