Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thank You Rick Sutcliffe
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,321

Thank You Rick Sutcliffe

Jun 7, 2013, 10:12 PM

Tonight on "Baseball Tonight" after the LSU/Oklahoma game, Rick Sutcliffe, Mark Mulder, Keith Law and Adnan Virk were discussing the draft and Sutcliffe says to Mulder, "Like you, I was a first round draft pick, but I wish I'd gone to college like you did. I'd have made it to the big leagues at the same time."

Going to college is SO valuable. Just ask Josh Hamilton. He wished he'd gone to college too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank You Rick Sutcliffe

Jun 7, 2013, 10:37 PM

It is important. I wouldn't blame a kid for taking the money. Meadows is slotted at $3Mil, so there is little likelihood that he will improve his draft position in 3 years.

For a relative comparison, look at Jay Bruce. They both are lefties taken out of high school who could play an OF position. Bruce was 12th overall and signed for $1.8 Mil in 2005. He made his MLB debut in May 2008 - so before he would have even been eligible to be drafted again. College would have been a great experience for him, but would have hindered his career.

But the slot values go up significantly every year...

Jun 7, 2013, 10:48 PM

so the slot value for the 9th pick this year could well be the value for the 25th pick three years from now. He could be drafted lower but get a larger bonus. He also won't burn through as much of it trying to make a living. Michael Wacha was drafted out of Texas A&M last year and made it to St. Louis a little over a week ago. There's no money in minor league baseball. Low minor players barely make minimum wage and they don't get paid during the offseason. So for nearly 7 months out of the year there's no income. I guess they can free-load off their parents those 7 months but my kid wouldn't. If he got 3 million to be an independent adult, then he can pay his own bills.

With 1.5 in the bank (after taxes, etc)

Jun 7, 2013, 10:56 PM

He should be able to, on interest alone, make 60 grand. Thats more than enough to live on and NEVER touch the principle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not gonna happen.***

Jun 7, 2013, 11:05 PM

You're so selfish. He could get hurt, not pan out, and

Jun 8, 2013, 2:39 AM [ in reply to But the slot values go up significantly every year... ]

Leave money on the table. Take it and get paid. If he was a late pick I'd listen to your arguement.

Re: You're so selfish. He could get hurt, not pan out, and

Jun 8, 2013, 5:50 AM

yea if i am a top 3 round pick, i am probably taking the money and going to ride the buses in the minors. 4th to 7th round I have a decision to make. 8th round or lower and I go to college. I know everyone's financial situation is different, but that's how it would have shaken out for me as a high school senior.

Who's selfish?...

Jun 8, 2013, 6:11 AM [ in reply to You're so selfish. He could get hurt, not pan out, and ]

All of the statistics point to the value of going to college. But I guess if all that matters is money (it isn't) then taking it and lying to the coach that signed you is worth it.

Re: Who's selfish?...

Jun 8, 2013, 6:37 AM

Please supply links to statistics specifically for first round baseball pix... since you say you have them.

You make the assertion that the kid lied to the coach. I doubt that seriously. It would come as no surprise if the topic of the draft and what could happen was openly discussed. And frankly, for the zillionth time... neither you nor I were not present during their conversations... so you do not know.

Calling someone a liar when it is obvious you have no certain knowledge is rather base.

Jun 8, 2013, 7:05 AM [ in reply to Who's selfish?... ]

A kid can always go back to college if he goes pro and figures out he can't hit the curve ball. You can't always sign your name and get paid 1.5 million dollars if you go to college and figure out you can't hit the curve ball. I promise you that Jack Leggett understands if the kid chooses 1.5 million dollars and bus rides over college (which would actually cost the kid money since baseball players don't get full rides like basketball and football players do).

Jun 8, 2013, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Who's selfish?... ]

You are selfish you dont want what is best for the kid you want what is best for you. Fact is if played right 4 Million or so can get you through life with proper management/investment.

Your original quote also makes zero sense. You think it would be better fro the kid to get to the big leagues at the same time but have 4 Million dollars less?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I actually got to bat against Sutcliffe in a celebrity

Jun 7, 2013, 10:41 PM

baseball game about 15 years ago. Popped out on a 2-2 pitch and was #### proud of it!! :)

Jun 8, 2013, 7:55 AM

Okay - I am totally happy with my education, so it would be easy to say "go to college, and not take the money". However, if I had the opportunity to get 1+ million, I would take the money.

I see people with college educations every day that act like imbeciles. Life is what YOU make out of it. That kid has NO promises of success from any college - only a delayed opportunity if everything goes well for a few years. He has success handed to him immediately from the bigs. This would be a no-brainer for me.

I agree 100%.***

Jun 8, 2013, 9:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is he waiting on? It's easier now, more than ever, to go college.

Jun 8, 2013, 9:11 AM

Get busy Rick!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2013, 9:35 AM

So you would get to the Big Leagues the same time but have approx 4 Million less to your name....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 8, 2013, 11:28 AM

Hindsight is 20:20.

That's two out of 1,000s.

Each situation is different.

You don't here from the 1,000s that signed contracts out of high school and either made it or didn't make it, but had a nice nest egg to start life.

Every situation is different - you can't lump every situation and if you want it differently - make it your life's goal to change the rules.

Every year you come in here and ##### and it gets tiring.

How would you fix it?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I'm sick of seeing Clemson lose top players to the draft...

Jun 8, 2013, 3:48 PM

every year. Maybe you aren't. While I'm really glad that Chris Okey is coming, players like Austin Meadows are program changers. Just look at how successful Tyler Beede has been at Vanderbilt. He turned down a first round offer from the Blue Jays to go to college. Is Clemson less deserving than Vanderbilt? Here's how I would fix it: adapt the NBA's rule. If a HS player wants to be drafted, he has until April 15 to put his name into the draft. If he doesn't apply by then, he can't be drafted. He then has until June 1 to take his name out of the draft and go to school. Anyone still in the draft after June 1st doesn't have the option of going to college.

Re: I'm sick of seeing Clemson lose top players to the draft...

Jun 8, 2013, 4:04 PM

Then everyone will put their name in and you've moved the deadline up to June 1 from July 15. You possibly lose more players because they want to take a chance on the money - don't get drafted or are drafted really late and instead of turning down the bad draft position and go to xollege - they are hung out to dry and they have to go pro..

null

Then how do you propose to protect the colleges?...

Jun 8, 2013, 4:09 PM

Or do you even care? Something has to be done, the way it's run now isn't working.

Re: Then how do you propose to protect the colleges?...

Jun 8, 2013, 4:23 PM

I care. It's not going to change until MLB and NCAA can agree on something else. Would you like the basketball rule and a bunch of one season and dones?

At least if you get them, you have them for 3 years.

null

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,321
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic