Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who's going to be missed more: Boyd or Shaw?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Who's going to be missed more: Boyd or Shaw?

Feb 4, 2014, 12:23 PM

I've seen Dylan play enough to think the coots will miss Shaw greatly.

To be frank, I think many Clemson fans are glad to see Boyd graduate.

Personally, I don't think Dylan will be the starter by the time we play them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Shaw***

Feb 4, 2014, 12:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Shaw easily.***

Feb 4, 2014, 12:25 PM

Re: Who's going to be missed more: Boyd or Shaw?

Feb 4, 2014, 12:29 PM

Shaw, without a doubt. He was possibly the best qb the ##### have ever had. You can just take the Mizzou game as an example. Without Shaw, the Coots lose. The kid was just a winner. Glad to see him gone.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tough to speculate for sure

Feb 4, 2014, 12:29 PM

Although Shaw may have been more of a running threat, people forget that Boyd was our short down running back and could be argued to be our number one running threat in 2013. Despite his inconsistencies in decision-making he threw an amazing deep ball and most importantly avoided injuries despite taking numerous beatings, something that can't be said for Shaw or Chad Kelly. You are insane if you don't think Tajh Boyd's skill set will be missed.

I've seen some REALLY bad games by Boyd.

Feb 4, 2014, 12:30 PM

I'm hoping for more consistency.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

And I've seen more really good games by him

Feb 4, 2014, 12:34 PM

I'll take inconsistent over consistently mediocre.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He went like 32-8 for his career. That's pretty consistent.***

Feb 4, 2014, 3:38 PM [ in reply to I've seen some REALLY bad games by Boyd. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were times when Shaw literally willed that team to win

Feb 4, 2014, 12:30 PM

That is an intangible that will be incredibly difficult if not impossible to replace.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Both equally. Both are best in school history***

Feb 4, 2014, 12:31 PM

I miss beating the coots, so I don't miss either of them.***

Feb 4, 2014, 12:37 PM

Shaw just because they have nothing behind him

Feb 4, 2014, 12:38 PM

Thompson isn't a winner like Shaw and had he played this year I guarantee you that they would have lost the Mizzu game and the game against Clemson. Shaw made the plays to win both games that Thompson can't make.

We have a wealth of riches at QB and while I love Tajh to death and will miss him greatly the fact is that we are in a better situation then the coots. For them it's Thompson or bust more or less. For us we have Cole, Kelly and Watson. It's more who is the best out of the bunch more so then we have only one guy that we know can be good and pray that he is.

Clemson fans will miss Boyd more, SC fans will miss Shaw.***

Feb 4, 2014, 12:39 PM

Three points 1) Seem to recall Dylan beating us as a backup

Feb 4, 2014, 12:39 PM

2) I will miss Boyd. He was better than 90% of the QB's playing on Saturday the last three years. His efforts and accomplishments are highly recognized and appreciated by knowledgeable Tiger fans. 3) I am hopeful next year's Tiger QB is in the Top 10% of college QB's. That would be very nice and a tribute to the coaching staff.

Objectively speaking - Coots have a more experienced and proven replacement.

Thompson beat a secondary without 3 of its starters

Feb 4, 2014, 1:10 PM

You really think they beat us or Mizzu this year without Shaw?

Re: Three points 1) Seem to recall Dylan beating us as a backup

Feb 4, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Three points 1) Seem to recall Dylan beating us as a backup ]

That game for Thompson was one against a defense that had not gelled yet and he played out of his mind, I'm willing to bet he will not be that lucky in his 2nd trip to Death Valley!!!

The defense Thompson beat was light years behind where

Feb 4, 2014, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Three points 1) Seem to recall Dylan beating us as a backup ]

they are now.

The coots also had a pretty good defense as well.

I wouldn't say that about the coots having a more experienced and proven replacement. Remember the Mizzou game?

That was also the year we had the worst defense

Feb 4, 2014, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Three points 1) Seem to recall Dylan beating us as a backup ]

I've ever seen at Clemson. He won't be so lucky now.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I won't miss Shaw at all... so Boyd :)***

Feb 4, 2014, 12:45 PM

Boyd, can't lose a player like him and not feel it!

Feb 4, 2014, 12:57 PM

Shaw was at at least as important to South Carolina as Boyd was to us. But their OLine and running game can carry them against many teams. Our Offense was and is based on throwing the ball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, but your offense is a lot of short

Feb 4, 2014, 1:25 PM

One eras throws so that is easier for a QB to walk into.

Likewise while our running game should protect Thompson. He makes a lot of loose throws and may turn the ball over instead of taking what the defense gives him like Shaw did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

^^^Actually a good observation***

Feb 4, 2014, 3:41 PM

Going with Shaw....he was the heart of that team

Feb 4, 2014, 1:17 PM

and pushed them through in many tough games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a tough one

Feb 4, 2014, 1:21 PM

While we are better suited to go through the growing pains of a new qb with a better RB and OL situation. We also have a schedule that has more teams on it that are talented enough to beat us.

Outside of FSU,UGA and us you shouldn't lose a game.

So maybe the advantage is to Clemson on this one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever helps you sleep at night princess***

Feb 4, 2014, 2:06 PM

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 4, 2014, 1:36 PM

It has to be Shaw for the coots. We have 3 highly rated QBs waiting for the next man up adventure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2014, 1:38 PM

Shaw will be missed more, IMO. While Boyd was a great leader and a very skillful player, we have several who could seamlessly move right into the starting role. I doubt they have anybody who will bring what Shaw did for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who do you have that has all of the attributes of Tajh?

Feb 4, 2014, 1:52 PM

Dylan had nearly as many passing yards last season as Stoudt and Kelly have had in their entire collegiate careers.

Dylan is no Shaw, but Stoudt, Kelly and Watson are not Tajh Boyd either.

I personally think all of them could be better than Boyd***

Feb 4, 2014, 2:24 PM

Re: I personally think all of them could be better than Boyd***

Feb 4, 2014, 2:27 PM

I don't disagree. Not sure about their leadership skills, but ball skills should not be an issue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who do you have that has all of the attributes of Tajh?

Feb 4, 2014, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Who do you have that has all of the attributes of Tajh? ]

I don't know whether we have anybody with "all" the attributes of Boyd. His leadership surely will be missed, but we have Stoudt, Kelly, Scheusler, and probably the incoming Watson who have ample ball skills to step in and be very successful. Probably Kelly and Watson will have very comparable skills to Boyd. All have the potential to be as successful as Boyd, and I imagine they will have a better OL than Boyd ever had. The sky is not falling at Clemson. IMO

I'm curious to see what Chad Kelly will do.

Feb 4, 2014, 2:29 PM

Will he have an impact like Johnny Manziel?

We shall see. Should be exciting!

Re: I'm curious to see what Chad Kelly will do.

Feb 4, 2014, 6:24 PM

I am comfortable with any of the ones we have and with Watson, too. We are blessed! I remember it wasn't long ago that remember a team, I believe it was Boston College,who had to use a LB as QB, because all their QB's were injured.

Re: Who do you have that has all of the attributes of Tajh?

Feb 4, 2014, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Who do you have that has all of the attributes of Tajh? ]

I hope your whole team and coaching staff think that way, as well.

Feb 4, 2014, 2:26 PM

hate to say it guys, but i think it'll be Boyd at least for the first part of the season that will include UGA and FSU. Boyd had a lot of experience that took some time to develop. Stoudt and Kelly are more than capable of picking it up, but against UGA in Athens and FSU in Tally isn't the easiest place to learn. and Watson may be the future, but if we see him start in 2014, it won't be a good thing. QB's need a year to transition from HS to college and learn the system.

for the Coots, they have the OL, RBs, and better early schedule to help break in a QB. I don't think Dylan will be the QB by the end of the season. they've got 2 young QBs that are more mobile that Spurrier will want to get utilize.

Count me as one who will miss Tajh....He is

Feb 4, 2014, 2:33 PM

one for the ages...

That being said, it looks like we have 3 very capable guys to move in and take his place. These guys will be good but have large shoes to fill...

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Tajh

Feb 4, 2014, 3:36 PM

We will miss Tajh a lot. And from growing up in Boiling Springs and Knowing the Thompson Family I can tell you right now Dylan Thompson has a lot of Heart and work Ethic. 2* qb recruit. Watch his post game interviews. He is todays CFB Tim Tebow. By showing his passion for his god. Every interview he does post game he reads a bible verse. This Kid has HEART. Him and Stoudt are very similar. Both have been waiting for there chance to shine just for 1 year. We will miss Tajh More.

2012 Secondary

Feb 4, 2014, 3:38 PM

Our 2012 Secondary was horrible when Thompson played us. But we shouldn't lose at home when there missing QB,RB, and there DE was 75% We had Breeland,Brewer, and Meek back there that should of played there assignments better.

Feb 4, 2014, 4:35 PM

it's not that I'm down on Stoudt, Kelly or Watson's potential, but you don't know what you got until you see it action when it counts. it's one thing to run through the progressions during practice. it's another to do it against a live opponent during mop up duties. but it's completely different to be the starter and have to make reads and adjustments based on what the DC has schemed against you. and then doing on the road in front of 93k in Athens to open the season and 83k in Tally the third game ain't the easiest way to find your grove. doesn't mean it can't be done. and if they rise to the occasion, we're in great shape.. Dylan started @ Clemson and @ Missouri so he's got that advantage, plus their offense is easier to manage and he'll have experienced OL, RB and most of his WRs returning.

Is this a trick question?***

Feb 4, 2014, 6:30 PM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic