Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who was advising Deon and Tay?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Who was advising Deon and Tay?

Apr 28, 2018, 2:09 AM

Why would they leave to be a 4th plus round draft pick?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because they would get less snaps

Apr 28, 2018, 2:55 AM

next year and drop from where they will be picked this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because they would get less snaps

Apr 28, 2018, 6:47 AM

I think you’re right as it pertains to Cain, but I do think RayRay could’ve played CB his SR year & up’d his stock to a possible late 2nd or maybe 3rd round pick.

Re: Because they would get less snaps

Apr 28, 2018, 6:47 AM [ in reply to Because they would get less snaps ]

I think you’re right as it pertains to Cain, but I do think RayRay could’ve played CB his SR year & up’d his stock to a possible late 2nd or maybe 3rd round pick.

You really think Cain would get less snaps..

Apr 28, 2018, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Because they would get less snaps ]

as a senior than Overton, or Powell or Rogers? Those guys haven’t proven much either, and a senior Deon Cain has a LOT of motivation. If he had come back and worked harder, Deon and Tee and Hunter and (Overton/Powell/Rogers/etc.) would have made for a dangerous receiver corps. Lawrence or Johnson would get him plenty of chances to make plays.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You really think Cain would get less snaps..

Apr 28, 2018, 2:37 PM

I think Tee Higgins would have started over Cain and Amari Rogers would have started over Ray Ray.

Losing your starting position as a senior is not a good way to strengthen your draft status.

All in all, I think Cain made the right decision, but I sort of think that Ray Ray might have been wise to come back and move to CB.

I guess we'll see how all this turns out.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cain and Higgins...

Apr 28, 2018, 4:15 PM

would have been on the field at the same time. One of them would beat his man and make a chunk play about 50% of the time with a quality passing QB (Johnson or Lawrence). That’s the point. With a little more work, a little more willingness to be physical, and with a real QB, Deon could have become a first round receiver after this season. He blew it and it cost him $millions in my opinion. But whatever... too late now. He has to prove it in the league.

it appears to me it was the wrong decision to

Apr 28, 2018, 3:22 AM

Go pro. Cain dropped quite a few passes last season and that had to stand out. Another year could've helped but it's done now. Cain will hopefully be ok and I ll be pulling for him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it appears to me it was the wrong decision to

Apr 28, 2018, 7:53 AM

Well Cain does drop quite a few balls but that can definitely be worked on. Remember Kelvin Benjamin led college football in dropped passes the year he declare and he was a first rounder. Sammie Coates led with dropped passes the year he declared and was a third rounder. And Brashaud Perriman led in dropped passes the year he declared and was a first rounder.

Re: it appears to me it was the wrong decision to

Apr 28, 2018, 8:57 AM

Bet they all had tons more highlights though that countered it...Cain's highlights mostly come from his freshman season. Sure, he had a few good plays the next 2, but he spent one season as a backup to a first rounder, and the next season, he didn't quite replace him and had those dropped balls. Bad decision IMO to leave. He'd have been the starter this year.

FEW good plays? He had MANY good plays!***

Apr 28, 2018, 9:30 AM

You’re right - Deon did have a lot of big plays...

Apr 28, 2018, 12:55 PM

over the years. But he came in with VERY high expectations - Sammy Watkins type expectations. He never quite lived up to that. And he has a tendency to “alligator arm” passes, and that leads to drops/incompletions. He doesn’t put his body on the line like a Mike Williams. He definitely has the speed. He just needs to work on his technique.

As for Ray Ray... my sense is that he never worked hard enough to maximize his potential. He made a terrible mistake coming out this year. He should have stayed... and worked.

Re: Who was advising Deon and Tay?

Apr 28, 2018, 3:28 AM

If you watched the games towards the end last year, you can see where Tee and Amari started playing more and honestly played better. If you talking about Hearn, I have no idea other than he was going to not start this year because of talent.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Apr 28, 2018, 4:35 AM

Possibly as said above that could have been everyone but I think van could have come back and upgraded his status.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2018, 10:18 AM

Rumor is Van has a kid and needs $$$

Maybe he assumed he would come back to a similar....

Apr 28, 2018, 6:30 AM

system with K Bryant and how much more could he do? Moreover, it's all about getting past the rookie contract anyway. He made the right choice with what he knew.

Re: Maybe he assumed he would come back to a similar....

Apr 28, 2018, 7:18 AM

I think the first part of your statement has the answer. He had several drops, but maybe he was so surprised he got the ball he couldn't catch it. Who knows. Good luck to him.

Apr 28, 2018, 7:13 AM

Because the league minimum is 465000.

Apr 28, 2018, 7:30 AM

Great point. One or two years, I’d be set if I never took another snap. lol.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They Both

Apr 28, 2018, 7:48 AM

Made the right decision. Neither were WR's coming out of high school and have largely learned the position while at Clemson. All sticking around another year would mean perception issues:
1. Another year older
2. A senior with no other options
3. Risk of injury without ever getting a look

It's frustrating that Cain had drops, but he was learning to play WR at a championship level. He had a crash course and proved instrumental in a number of Tiger wins. This past season, it was at least 50/50 on him and KB...although in my view, mostly on KB.

Ray Ray has tons of natural ability. He's also a talent without a position. Returning for his senior season to learn cornerback was a non-starter...he can do that with any team that takes him and accomplish the same.

They're Tigers for Life...and that's huge and, frankly, that Paw is giving them consideration that players from other programs won't even get a sniff of.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2018, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Who was advising Deon and Tay? ]

After taxes and agent fees, that $465,000 is half. Considering 1/2 of all nfl players are bankrupt within 4 years of leaving the league... doesn’t paint a picture of setting anyone up.

How rich would he be in a few years without football anyway***

Apr 28, 2018, 9:25 AM

Apr 28, 2018, 8:28 AM

Higgins and Rogers unintentionally advice them.

Me. I said “Go pro. Follow your dreams.”***

Apr 28, 2018, 8:31 AM

Doesn't seem like a great decision but you also gotta factor

Apr 28, 2018, 8:54 AM

in the logjam at both of their positions with who was coming on behind them and the talent that was coming in. They weren't likely to see their numbers jump up this year so they probably had hit their ceilings for exposure.

Cain won't be making 1st round money but he won't be doing bad at all. I think he had close to the talent and recruiting hype to have been another CU 1st round WR but if we're being honest he was never in the same league as Nuk, Watkins, or Williams so that may have been an unrealistic expectation.

McCloud will probably sign a good FA contract. League minimum is over $450K if he can make a roster.

I don't think either of them made a terrible decision under the circumstances and they'll both be making more money than I did when I was 21.

It seems like a great decision for Ray Ray imo.

What was the upside for Ray Ray to return? If TL was the QB, than I think Deon would have done well to return. How could he take that chance... That said, he will have a great NFL career anyway and in a few years his rookie contract will be done and he will get a huge one. Deon will be in the league for a long time and will be just fine. He is one year close now to his big pay day.

Apr 28, 2018, 9:29 AM

Deon seems to have been a frequent resident of Dabo's doghouse. I think he was ready to move on, especially with the talent behind him.

Ray Ray is more of a headscratcher. My guess is that they wanted to move him to defense and he wanted to take his chances as a WR.

Ray Ray should have always been a db imo.*****

They probably had concerns that our offense would feature them enough.

Apr 28, 2018, 9:42 AM

We turned into a run first team with KB, and there were many times that they were open but didn’t get catchable balls. Assuming that KB is the starter again next year, that wouldn’t be likely to change.

Plus, I think they were probably concerned about some of the younger talent behind them. Having to share snaps when passes are already coming your way less and less isn’t an exciting proposition.

Message was edited by: Judge Keller

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

If drafted in 4th round they can potentially see a 4 year

Apr 28, 2018, 12:47 PM

contract for about $3 million with approx. $600,000 signing bonus.

If they'd stayed a final year, no telling how much higher.

Apr 28, 2018, 12:53 PM

I think they both knew they would have a very hard time holding on to their starting jobs at Clemson in 2018, and that would hurt their NFL chances for 2019.

Assuming players will go higher the next year by

Apr 28, 2018, 1:09 PM

returning is really dumb.

Re: Who was advising Deon and Tay?***

Apr 28, 2018, 2:20 PM

Apr 28, 2018, 2:21 PM

Clemson's press clippings.

You are assuming they could have improved their

Apr 28, 2018, 3:31 PM

stock if they'd come back for another year. That, however, may not be the case at all. We will never, ever know, but leaving when they did very well could have been the absolute best thing they could have done. I know it's hard, but try to wrap your head around that truth.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 28, 2018, 3:32 PM

A punter just got taken before Deon who before this year was arguably the best WR in the draft... wowww

Apr 28, 2018, 3:32 PM

A punter just got taken before Deon who before this year was arguably the best WR in the draft... wowww

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic