Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for NewSpring Haters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 119
| visibility 1

Question for NewSpring Haters

Apr 10, 2012, 12:41 PM

Just an honest question as Sammy's news this weekend seems to caused a lot of debate.

I know the church isn't for everyone, but I think some people only see bits and pieces of a service and/or hear about the church from people, and make false assumptions off that data.

I would like to point out that I could probably take small video clips from anyone's life that would cast them in a negative light and not fully represent them as a person.

What is your level of exposure to NewSpring?    [Results]

I have physically attended a service at a NewSpring location.
I have watched an entire NewSpring service online.
I have seen clips from a service on YouTube.
I have not viewed any parts of a service, but have heard about the church from family or friends.
flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for NewSpring Haters

Apr 10, 2012, 12:44 PM

or e., none of the above. check.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2012, 1:27 PM

And do you hate/dislike the church? If so, why?

Apr 10, 2012, 1:37 PM

no opinion one way or the other. i have just read some of the responses about this church. not many times have i saw such extremes about a church,one way or the other, so i wanted to add another option,which was basically don't know one way or the other.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2012, 1:42 PM

Okay completely understandable. Sorry mis interpreted your original post.

I would add that as an option to the poll, but I don't seem to have the ability to edit it.

Here

Apr 10, 2012, 12:46 PM

A, B, C, and

E-Am recruited to go to NS every single time I talk to a member
F-Have strong feelings about money, sheep, and cult-like stuff
G-Will never go again
H-Think differently of folks when I learn they are a NS member

26 Million in income. 5.8% spent on missions.

Apr 10, 2012, 12:49 PM

just edging out what they spend on IT.

If Newspringers want to change the way people think of them, they should stop leading every discussion saying the words Newspring or Perry.

Re: 26 Million in income. 5.8% spent on missions.

Apr 10, 2012, 1:06 PM

I find that many seem in awe of NS for some reason. It seems very cult like and I have family members that go. My great aunt was swindled out of my inheritance (around $20,000) by Jim and Tammy Fay Baker years ago, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the guy happens to jump ship soon. Also, narcissism seems to be high up on this guys lifestyle. Just my opinion NS drones.

cult is a word thrown out a lot on this board re: Newspring

Apr 10, 2012, 1:45 PM

Cult: a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

- a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

Perhaps something like wearing identical team colors, chanting cheers in unison with 80k other people circled around the entertainment, and singing along to the alma mater or tiger rag? How about spending thousands of dollars a year to watch 18-22 year old boys run around for 4 hours about 7 times a year and screaming like a teenage girl at a Justin Beiber concert when said 18 yr old boy crosses a chalk line on the ground?

If you can define Newspring as a cult then I can define Clemson football as a cult. Most season ticket holders spend large amounts of money for the right to buy tickets and a parking pass. Why am I crazy for giving my money to Newspring and these people are normal for giving it to Iptay?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leadership/athletes at Clemson come and go.

Apr 10, 2012, 1:57 PM

There is oversight by the state and the Board of Trustees.

You don't like what Dabo says, you can lobby to have him fired with no repercussion...

You don't like what Perry says, they'll ruin your life. www.pajamapages.com

IPTAY donations are not marketed as

Apr 10, 2012, 2:00 PM

moral obligations either. At least not based on the spam and junk mail I get every other day.

Apr 10, 2012, 1:32 PM [ in reply to 26 Million in income. 5.8% spent on missions. ]

The missions category you see on the financials website only includes foreign missions, funding other church plantings, etc. I don't think it would be much of a stretch for me to argue that all money spent on childrens area is a mission, all money spent on new campuses around the state is a mission and all money spent on Sunday production is a mission. Just because it doesn't happen in a foreign country doesn't make it any less of a mission. Newspring started with Anderson as a primary mission field.

If you include the categories I mentioned above (and I could make an argument for other categories but the ones mentioned should be reasonable in all eyes) then you have $10.67 million of the total spent on "missions" in state and abroad. This is over 40% of all revenue.

This does not include staffing which is obviously the largest of all categories and I would argue you can't have missions category if you don't have staff to run it.

$13 million on salaries?

Apr 10, 2012, 3:22 PM

I ran a 22 person IT dept and didn't spend a portion of that much on salaries and capital.

Everyone knows that IT geeks are godless heathens not worthy

Apr 10, 2012, 4:57 PM

of savior or the compensation that NS'ers receive. Perry wont need your gay html when he is sitting on the throne in heaven.
hth

How were you able to pull that off for under $600,000

Apr 10, 2012, 5:16 PM [ in reply to $13 million on salaries? ]

a year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

600k?

Apr 10, 2012, 11:04 PM

Apr 10, 2012, 1:32 PM [ in reply to 26 Million in income. 5.8% spent on missions. ]

The church is very clear about their view on missions. They believe that every area in which they have a campus/location is part of their mission which right now would be Anderson, Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia, Florence, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston.

Their view is that many churches have given the vast amount of their money to overseas missions and not invested in the people at home.

They do many things for the local community. Each year they pick an elementary school near each campus and give every child in the school a new pair of shoes.

The shoes thing

seems like a waste. I would bet plenty of those families can afford shoes already. Why not just focus on those who can't afford them and do it in a way that is very private/not embarrassing?

Grass-roots community marketing to drive

Apr 10, 2012, 1:44 PM

new membership.

^^^ding ding ding!

Apr 10, 2012, 1:44 PM [ in reply to The shoes thing ]

"Look at us we gave an entire school free shoes"-NS

So the rich kids got a free pair of walmart superman shoes too?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The shoes thing

Apr 10, 2012, 1:48 PM [ in reply to The shoes thing ]

first, have you researched the schools they go to with the free shoes? Over 70% of the students in all of the schools they have been to so far are on free or reduced lunch. These families really don't have the money for new shoes. I have been, I have seen it.

Second, Newspring never publicizes the event and its locations.

I'm not so sure why it is hard to believe a group like this may actually be doing something nice for the community with no strings attached. When Dabo takes the football team to the children's hospital do you get mad because the sick kids can afford to go to a game if they wanted to?

You just compared the average elementary school student

Apr 10, 2012, 3:59 PM

to a terminally ill kid.

Where did you get those numbers?***

Apr 10, 2012, 1:41 PM [ in reply to 26 Million in income. 5.8% spent on missions. ]

Newspring annual report***

Apr 10, 2012, 1:41 PM

Here ya go...

Apr 10, 2012, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Where did you get those numbers?*** ]
ns.JPG(89.4 K)

Well managed non-profits

Apr 10, 2012, 1:44 PM [ in reply to 26 Million in income. 5.8% spent on missions. ]

typically are able to put 70%+ toward this mission.

I have worked for a company that works with non-profits for 13 years. I have found that religious based organizations, because they don't have to report their income or file 990's, stuff their employees pockets more than any other type of non-profit.

^^^^^This. And said employees can be exempt

Apr 10, 2012, 1:47 PM

from A LOT of taxes. Income can be disguised as un-taxed earnings very easily in a church, particularly for pastors.

and sadly, they are typically the rudest people to work with

Apr 10, 2012, 1:48 PM

of any type of non-profit. no joke. I'm a christian and it really makes me sad to say that.

The only "employees" in a church that haveany tax exemptions

Apr 11, 2012, 7:53 AM [ in reply to ^^^^^This. And said employees can be exempt ]

are the ones who are licensed/ordained by the church. And those are -by IRS rules- self-employed 1099 people. ANyone else is an "employee" and everything they are paid follows the same IRS standards as those working in any "secular" position.

The only real "benefit" I'm aware of for pastors is the housing allowance. There are "reimbursement programs that do not count as income BUT only becaue the money was spent and receipts provided - spent on church related ministry/operations. This is really helpful for gas/travel expenses.

By IRS ruling, churches cannot pay the income taxes for their pastors either, except that the amount being paid on their behalf be claimed as income by the pastor - requiring the pastor to pay more tax on that income.

Now, you stated "employees" have great benifit from "un-taxed" earnings... please give an example. It would be very helpful to me to know hese things.

Thanks in advance

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Apr 10, 2012, 1:10 PM

I've attended more than once, all while in college. One of my college roommates was very active there, and still is. He met his wife through Newspring, and it works for them. I'm happy for both of them. He actively recruits me to come with him, and even seems to sometimes schedule times to hang out on a Saturday, and then since we live out of town, he invites us to stay the night and go to Newspring with them.

The thing is, my wife and I prefer a much traditional worship setting. We politely decline, simply because Newspring isn't the type worship that we enjoy.

That being said, it makes them feel closer to God, and I'm ok with that. I'd rather hear an organ on a Sunday morning than electric guitars. We're just different, I don't hate the place, it's just not for us.

It's never cool for

Apr 10, 2012, 1:30 PM

church goers to bug and repeatedly invite someone that's happy with their current church to leave that church to attend another.

It's disrespectful.

Now, as a Christian, if I had a friend that didn't attend church- or know someone that's dissatisfied with their church, I'd of course invite them to attend mine- and do it several times. But if I know they are happy at their church, it's arrogant and distasteful to bother them with invitations to my church.

Why is it not arrogant and distasteful to invite people who

Apr 10, 2012, 1:31 PM

don't go to church?

Good question. There is something about tolerance

Apr 10, 2012, 1:34 PM

in the bible I'm pretty sure.

You don't read well...

Apr 10, 2012, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Why is it not arrogant and distasteful to invite people who ]

do you?

Care to elaborate? What did I not comprehend***

Apr 10, 2012, 1:49 PM

He said...

Apr 10, 2012, 1:53 PM

"Now, as a Christian, if I had a friend that didn't attend church..."

right...and the point is that it's no less arrogant

Apr 10, 2012, 1:56 PM

to invite a non-church goer than it is to invite someone content with their church.

most non-church goers are perfectly content with their religious practices.

Re: right...and the point is that it's no less arrogant

Apr 10, 2012, 2:18 PM

After Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead (before ascending into Heaven) he said the following: Matthew 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and Son and of the Holy Spirit" (refered to as The Great Commission). So believers are told to spread the word that Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead and that he can save us from our sins. For most believers, it is easier to do this by inviting a nonbeliever to church. By the way, they aren't inviting you so that there are more people at the church or money in the offering, they are inviting because they care about you and where you will spend eternity.

and it's arrogant to assume that because someone

Apr 10, 2012, 2:26 PM

doesn't go to church they are non-believers. some people would rather keep their relationships with God, Jesus or whoever else to themselves and avoid having to wade through all the ######## and panderers.

Re: and it's arrogant to assume that because someone

Apr 10, 2012, 2:34 PM

so I guess we should assume that all non-chuch-goers are redeemed believers so that we don't offend anyone. I mean, we're only talking about eternity right?

no. just don't assume all non-church goers are heathens.

Apr 10, 2012, 2:43 PM

just like i don't assume everyone who goes to church is a self righteous prick.

He said...

Apr 10, 2012, 1:57 PM [ in reply to He said... ]

Now, as a Christian, if I had a friend that didn't attend church- or know someone that's dissatisfied with their church, I'd of course invite them to attend mine- and do it several times. But if I know they are happy at their church, it's arrogant and distasteful to bother them with invitations to my church.

He never claimed it to be arrogant or distasteful to invite those that were happy to not attend any church. I was asking why he did not include that. Who has trouble reading again?

You made reference to just the non-church goers

Apr 10, 2012, 2:00 PM

in your original post. Not what you just bolded. What he means on that is that it is arrogant and distasteful for NS members to constantly talk down to other church goers...as if NS is soooo much better.

Don't think we are speaking the same language***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:02 PM

I don't think you correctly read what he said....

Apr 10, 2012, 2:05 PM

Your originall response was..."Why is it not arrogant and distasteful to invite people who don't go to church"...

He clearly states that it is not.

Either way....if you mean it IS arrogant to invite

Apr 10, 2012, 2:07 PM

non-church goers as well...I get your point.

But that's what church...heck any religion is about is recruitment.

except that it is, which is why the question was asked...***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:07 PM [ in reply to I don't think you correctly read what he said.... ]

I know he said it is not, I am asking WHY it is not.

Apr 10, 2012, 2:07 PM [ in reply to I don't think you correctly read what he said.... ]

Jesus, is it really this hard?

Mainly, because that's any religion's ultimate goal...

Apr 10, 2012, 2:11 PM

I actually do have a problem with it.

Because those that do, believe that

Apr 10, 2012, 2:15 PM [ in reply to I know he said it is not, I am asking WHY it is not. ]

Jesus commands them to. They typically do not believe that Jesus commands us to try to get more church members, but to "make disciples" of Him.

Why can't I just be left alone?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:16 PM

Well, if a person makes it very clear...

Apr 10, 2012, 2:21 PM

They do not want to hear the Gospel, I would move on. Very rarely do people react that way, though. Plus, even if someone did react to me that way, another person coming after me would never know, unless you actually wear a shirt that says "Christians leave me alone."

Headed to the print shop***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:22 PM

Just tell people you worship dragons from the sun...

Apr 10, 2012, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Why can't I just be left alone?*** ]

and then hissss.

They'll leave you alone!

Re: Why is it not arrogant and distasteful to invite people who

Apr 10, 2012, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Why is it not arrogant and distasteful to invite people who ]

Jesus commanded it through the Great Commission. It was not His recommendation or suggestion.

Re: It's never cool for

Apr 10, 2012, 1:59 PM [ in reply to It's never cool for ]

I don't think it's him bugging us. I think that he knows that we are away from our church home and he's inviting us to come worship with him. I appreciate the gesture, but like I said before, it's just not for us.

Apr 10, 2012, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for NewSpring Haters ]

Cutigerfan66,

Very fair response. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views.

Message was edited by: raginranger®

It's about your relationship with Jesus

Apr 10, 2012, 1:14 PM

Nothing else matters. If your relationship with Jesus is better because of the church/community you're involved in, then more power to you.

if so, then why does NS people constantly talk about Perry

and not about Christ?

Agreed...

Apr 10, 2012, 1:56 PM

bet their budget gets much much smaller if he ever goes elsewhere or quits...

but he has planned on that too with these "other sites".

He be hired away for multimillions and they could still watch him in Anderson. Its disgusting.

because they missed/ignored the part about idol worship?***

Apr 10, 2012, 1:58 PM [ in reply to if so, then why does NS people constantly talk about Perry ]

JESUS FACEPALM!

Apr 10, 2012, 1:15 PM
ns.JPG(89.4 K)

They are probably saving up for PDiddy to come rap next Christmas!

where the money goes, so goes the heart

Apr 10, 2012, 3:56 PM

less than 6% on missions tells me all I need to know.

it would be interesting to see the details of the $1.5 million in missions giving.

but to each his own. Followers are giving of their own free will.

Sammy : Newspring :: Cruise : Scientology

Apr 10, 2012, 1:24 PM

discuss

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is Sammy gonna jump on Oprah's couch?***

Apr 11, 2012, 5:14 AM

Newspring is changing people's lives

Apr 10, 2012, 1:26 PM

Newspring is leading people to Christ, saving marriages, teaching kids to love and follow Christ from an early age, and taking their people to the ends of the earth to teach third worlds about Jesus. Over 1000 people gave their lives to Christ this weekend alone because of Newspring and you people are criticizing them?? Shame on you

$3500 dollars to go to the end of the earth?***

Apr 10, 2012, 1:29 PM

I'll tell you what about Shame On

Apr 10, 2012, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Newspring is changing people's lives ]

True story.

I know someone that went on the mission trip to Kenya. Single young adult, renter, loaded with credit card debt, has a car payment. Also jack squat in savings.

The good news? High income. By that I mean just a tad over $100k.

This person, instead of paying off credit card debt, saving for a home, paying off student and car loans, PAID to go to Kenya. Under the watchful eye of the New$pring church.

What church charges $3500 to "take peeps to the end of the earth to teach 3rd worlds about Jesus"? For about $100 in gas the same could have been done in Greenville, Anderson, Columbia, and wherever else these "campuses" are.

Folks on the mission trip subsidized the $25million enterprise.

That's what's shameful.

It's a simple business model: Grow attendance and therefore grow revenues and profits. All done under the cloak of god.

And by the way, there are THOUSANDS of churches in SC that lead people to Christ, save marriages, teach kids to love and follow Christ, and go on mission trips. The difference? Enrollment, revenue, and profit.

"because of Newspring"

Apr 10, 2012, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Newspring is changing people's lives ]

there's your answer hoss. Newspring isn't the object of praise, yet their adherents continually say they are. That's the issue at hand.

They were saved because of Christ's sacrifice. That is the celebration...not the location.

Re: "because of Newspring"

Apr 10, 2012, 2:01 PM

well then, dont spend your day on tigernet talking down about a church that is continuously leading people to accept Christ as their lord and savior. Bottom line is Jesus is the ONLY way to be truly saved, but one of the church's responsibities here on earch is to point people in the right direction and help lead them to christ. And that is one thing that Newspring Church is very good at

I agree...

they are VERY good at marketing.

Your post troubles me.***

Apr 10, 2012, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Newspring is changing people's lives ]

His post perfectly encapsulates why people call it a cult.

Apr 10, 2012, 1:52 PM

I think I may carry a copy of it in my wallet the next time someone calls me a newspring hater.

Re: His post perfectly encapsulates why people call it a cult.

Whose post?

Mine or cutigers 1991?

THIS

Newspring is changing people's lives

Newspring is
leading people to Christ, saving marriages, teaching kids to love and follow Christ from an early age, and taking their people to the ends of the earth to teach third worlds about Jesus. Over 1000 people gave their lives to Christ this weekend alone because of Newspring and you people are criticizing them?? Shame on you

This is typical of my interaction with Newspring adherents. Sometimes they'll throw a few Perry's in there for good measure. Next time you interact with a newspringer see how many times they say Perry or Newspring.

If it were a drinking game you'd be dead in 5 minutes.

Re: THIS

Apr 10, 2012, 3:12 PM

Well I am a member of NewSpring and this is why I started this thread. I was hoping to provoke some genuine and well thought out discussion, and I think it was a success for the most part.

I understand where you are coming from. I do find that some people who attend the church are too focused on the church itself and/or Perry, rather than Jesus. That person's post is certainly representative of that type of thinking.

However we certainly aren't ALL like that and I don't think the church encourages that line of thinking.

Just curious, which option did you select on the poll?

Perfect example of the cult-like qualities

Apr 10, 2012, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Newspring is changing people's lives ]

that place inspires. Don't like Newspring?

Shame on you.

I went to Easley High School with Perry

Apr 10, 2012, 1:48 PM

The problem with everything going on with Newspring (in my opinion) is that Perry has lost all touch with where he came from. He is all about the money.

I saw him at an FCA event that I attended with Tony Eubanks. He acted as if he did not know me. I walked over and MADE him speak to me. At first I thought it was just me, then I spoke to many about it at our high school reunion only to find out he did them the same way.

Any man that needs 5-10 "bodyguards" when he goes out in public thinks too much of himself. He has taken advantage of what he has to gain access to Clemson. He is an egotistical moocher, plain and simple.

I've heard him state the following:

"The cross is just a logo, that's why Newspring will never have one on top of its building"...

The CROSS is what Christianity is about. It is why we believe what we believe. As for me and my family, we will attend a BIBLE believing church that stands its ground on worldly issues. We will follow Jesus, and let Newspring follow Perry

Tell me you are joking

Apr 10, 2012, 1:59 PM

bodyguards?

For what?

He must really be up to something.

No joke

He does...had even more at his big service at the Bi-Lo Center when they celebrated their anniversary

Wonder if in his mind he needs them to protect him from

Apr 10, 2012, 2:04 PM

harm or from being trampled by all of the folks that want to hug him. Sort of like the pyong-yang dead guy.

Very odd.

Guess he doesnt have "faith" that God will protect him.***

Apr 11, 2012, 8:18 AM [ in reply to No joke ]

sounds lke the guy around here in charlotte

Apr 10, 2012, 2:01 PM [ in reply to I went to Easley High School with Perry ]

who had all the BMW logos on his 7 series replaced with elevation church logos.

They are BFFs.

He preached recently at NS. Their styles are very similar.

not surprising. seem to have similar business models.

Apr 10, 2012, 2:10 PM

as if there's a book on how to sell people something they already have...

Re: I went to Easley High School with Perry

Apr 10, 2012, 4:17 PM [ in reply to I went to Easley High School with Perry ]

Were you close to him in high school at all? Maybe he honestly didn't remember you. I'm in my late 20's and I already barely remember a lot of people from high school.

Well

Apr 10, 2012, 10:23 PM

He and I split the room at the Hyatt for our Senior Prom. He knows me VERY well

Re

I have many friends that I went to Clemson with that started to go to NS and they sort of drifted away. I have been in church all my life and attended many different churchs and have never heard of a church that didn't post the salaries of the staff for public knowledge. I only have experience with Baptist and Methodist so I can't speak for other denominations but if I were in NS and giving money to them I would want to know what all the staff is being paid. I have never attended a worship service there but have heard from many that have and it just doesn't seem to fit my style of worship. If they are spreading the word and truly saving people then IMO that's all that matters. It just seems some of the NS people follow Perry and others a little too closely. Like he can do no wrong or something. He is just a man and fallen like all the rest of us.

My problem with them

Apr 10, 2012, 2:07 PM

is that they only seem to care about the number of people they have in their building(s) with their "missions" of hounding anyone they talk to to come to their church. Meanwhile, many small churches (whose ministers have actually been ordained and aren't a just a communications major who is the son of a preacher) are struggling with membership

Here is why people dislike Mr. Noble

Apr 10, 2012, 2:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vpueaiy-c8

How much $ is Noble bring home a year from this thing?

Apr 10, 2012, 2:10 PM

I bet it is $1 million a year or more.

Dude, he needs that much money.

Apr 10, 2012, 2:15 PM

This shirt ain't free

"With ARMS WIDE OPEEEENNNNN"

Apr 10, 2012, 2:17 PM

-Scott Stapp

Internet #### gets steep.****

Apr 10, 2012, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Dude, he needs that much money. ]

Re: How much $ is Noble bring home a year from this thing?

Apr 10, 2012, 2:17 PM [ in reply to How much $ is Noble bring home a year from this thing? ]

I don't know his salary but let's assume he is making $1 million a year. That puts him $750,000 less than Dabo in a year. Why is in not outrageous for Dabo to make that kind of money?

You serious, Clark?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:18 PM

Who said it wasn't?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: How much $ is Noble bring home a year from this thing? ]

Re: Who said it wasn't?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:20 PM

I have yet to see a discussion this long and heated on tigernet since I joined concerning Iptay financials or disdain for coaches salaries.

Perry, is that you?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:50 PM

because clemson doesn't say you're going to hell

Apr 10, 2012, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: How much $ is Noble bring home a year from this thing? ]

if you don't make your IPTAY donation. unless you think upperdeck tickets are hell.

Maybe that should be their new marketing slogan***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:21 PM

neither does Newspring***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:22 PM [ in reply to because clemson doesn't say you're going to hell ]

Because he's not operating under the guise of "serving God"?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: How much $ is Noble bring home a year from this thing? ]

Re: Because he's not operating under the guise of "serving God"?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:31 PM

so is there a limit on a salary if you are "serving God" when you work? Why does "serving God" receive a salary limit when coaching football does not? I would argue my surgeon is worth more money to me than a football coach when I have cancer. I would also argue the pastor who explained to me who Jesus was (it was not Perry FYI) is much more valuable on my death bed than Dabo.

Just curious...

Apr 10, 2012, 2:46 PM

but do you really believe it's OK for a pastor/preacher/priest to take the tithes given to a church and use them for personal gain to buy luxurious items like expensive cars/houses/etc instead of using them for the intended mission of the church?

Re: Just curious...

Apr 10, 2012, 3:08 PM

no, that is absolutely not fair. However, is it fair for a pastor (as well as all other staff members) to receive a salary that is determined by an outside accounting firm based on rates of pay across the country for the same work? Absolutely.

Hmmm...

Apr 11, 2012, 7:26 AM

so it would be OK for a pastor to use tithes for extarvagant personal purchases if it was part of a "salary that is determined by an outside accounting firm based on rates of pay across the country for the same work"?

So, essentially, it's OK if everyone else is doing it?

Dabo is a coach, not a fundraiser. PN is a fundraiser.*****

Apr 10, 2012, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: How much $ is Noble bring home a year from this thing? ]

where is this church located? in Clemson?***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:22 PM

To answer the original question. Yes, I've attended a ....

Apr 10, 2012, 2:25 PM

service in Anderson. Very impressive, though I left feeling a little creepy. Probably overstepped boundries calling it a "cult" in the past, but I get a better feeling attending a smaller church. Same message, different way of delivering it.

Re: To answer the original question. Yes, I've attended a ....

Apr 10, 2012, 2:28 PM

I didn't start the topic but I appreciate the honest answer. Newspring never proclaimed to be the "only way" or the "right way" to do church. They started as a "different way" in order to attract people that were not fans of the traditional style of worship. It is not for everyone and has never been advertised that way.

Is Jim Jones the preacher there?? or is it Jim Baker ??***

Apr 10, 2012, 2:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHY IS THIS ON TIGERNET

Apr 10, 2012, 2:52 PM

1. everyone has their own opinions/beliefs about religion/churches

2. No one will EVER convince ANYONE of ANYTHING through arguing about it

3. Good for Sammy finding a passion about what he believes

4. Can we let it go now?

Re: WHY IS THIS ON TIGERNET

Apr 11, 2012, 3:04 PM

It's the Politics & Religion section, which was intended for just such discussions. You don't have to view the posts under the P&R category if you don't want to.

my guess is most people only became intersted...

Apr 10, 2012, 2:54 PM

after they had decided there was something they didn't like about them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read his transcript about ############. He converted me!***

Apr 10, 2012, 3:40 PM

what the hell is this thread doing on the PnR board

Apr 10, 2012, 3:21 PM

move it back to the mange!

Perry paid off Crump.***

Apr 10, 2012, 7:24 PM

Attended for two years.

Apr 10, 2012, 3:33 PM

But wouldn't qualify myself as a "hater."

As an unbeliever, I just sort of sit around and giggle at all of it.

Newspring just happens to be exceptionally humorous.

where do I vote?

Apr 10, 2012, 5:02 PM

what the heck y'all talking about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 119
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic