Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who knew ESPN had a stick-to-sports’ initiative?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,201

Who knew ESPN had a stick-to-sports’ initiative?

Sep 10, 2020, 8:14 AM

If they do, you couldnt tell from watching almost any broadcast. I sure didnt. I'd say they are failing miserably at it. I came across this reading an article on them removing Hank Jr from MNF intro. Even before recent events, ESPN shows and broadcast almost always had a segment or 2 on political/social issues.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-espn-removes-hank-williams-jr-from-monday-night-football-intro-222533577.html
https://media-mbst-pub-ue1.s3.amazonaws.com/creatr-uploaded-images/2020-09/eedf0fe0-f221-11ea-bfff-e8d6c7fa886b">

ESPN’s ‘stick-to-sports’ initiative
ESPN has long catered to the stick-to-sports crowd and has doubled down on those efforts lately under president Jimmy Pitaro, who has continued to stifle non-sports commentary from the network’s stable of personalities.

Network brass surely doesn’t want to be seen as catering to a certain demographic by pulling Williams for what could be construed as political reasons. That doesn’t fit with the brand or a segment of its audience.

The COVID-19 pandemic makes for a convenient fallback that allows ESPN to protect its business interests while avoiding the dreaded “political” label at the same time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who knew ESPN had a stick-to-sports’ initiative?

Sep 10, 2020, 9:28 AM

21st Century marketing. What you say does not need to match what you do, as long as what you say has the politically correct content. We used to refer to this sort of tactic as “lying”. Apparently lying does not exist anymore.

Re: Who knew ESPN had a stick-to-sports’ initiative?

Sep 10, 2020, 10:37 AM

Those articles being referenced are over 15 months old. A lot has changed since then.

The tragic, video-clipped death of of an obese self-over-dosed Black man overwhelmed the short-sighted policy. I suspect that political commentary that is as organic as our inherent love of sports will be tolerated--and politics that are viewed to be manipulative will not.

Hence HW, Jr is out and Little Richard is in.

I hope I've given you the code that helps unlock the paradoxical mindset. It really isn't pure hypocrisy (hey, that's a new oxymoron!).

We're just eliminating Western concepts like principles of adjudication.

Television is pushing the notion that whatever action a Black man performs passionately, white people will pay to watch: talking, singing, dancing, playing music, playing any sport, having s#x, making jokes, beating each other, etc. If the performers on screen are Black, the ratings are higher. I'm not sure it's mathematical or scientific, but some people believe it.

Fork em.***

Sep 10, 2020, 10:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,201
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic