Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who believes the Big 10 is the best
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Who believes the Big 10 is the best

Sep 3, 2019, 6:06 PM

Conference in college football? Or that the PAC 12 is the third best conference? That is what the latest AP Top 25 poll just said:

Number of teams in top 25 this week

Big 10 - 7
SEC - 6
PAC 12 - 5
ACC - 2
BIG 12 - 2
MOUNTAIN WEST - 1
American Athletic - 1
Independent - 1

Same ole rhetoric about how weak the ACC is and yet the PAC 12 is the worst conference in college football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who believes the Big 10 is the best

Sep 3, 2019, 6:10 PM

What a farce. No way 5 p12 teams are ranked. It’s like this every year until after the season...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2019, 6:24 PM

Big 10 has the best

1. Cheese
2. Ice Fishing

End of list.

Sep 3, 2019, 6:30 PM

3. Crabs

FIFY

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 3, 2019, 6:33 PM

And because of polls like this the mighty SEC beats it's chest and says it's not fair that Clemson can get to CFP with such an easy schedule.

Sep 3, 2019, 6:37 PM

All the while CU has taken down every SEC opponent in its path. (Note correct use of "its").

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 3, 2019, 7:12 PM

I learned something today. I always add the ' after the "its", but you're right. But then, I'm a math guy and never speak English properly. :) +1

Sep 3, 2019, 6:40 PM

Don’t hear what I’m not saying here, but to be honest, take the top 5 B1G teams....what ACC team OTHER than Clemson would you pick to beat any of those teams? Personally I can name zero. Now, I also think that the undisputed best team in CFB resides in the ACC, and most any sane person would agree with that.

Look, IMO the ACC is pretty bad for the most part. Couple of teams capable of an upset from week to week, but only one true powerhouse. I’m fine with admitting that. It has absolutely no bearing on what Clemson does, who they are, or what they’ll achieve.

Sep 3, 2019, 7:00 PM

It would be nice to see VT, Canes, and FSU get their programs relevant again.

Sep 3, 2019, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Who believes the Big 10 is the best ]

What would make you think that way? For the last two season the ACC has had the best bowl record and play well head to head outside the conference. Ex. UNC beating UofSC both programs about the same place.

Why It Matters is

Sep 3, 2019, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Who believes the Big 10 is the best ]

It matters because of perception! The perception that the ACC is soooooo weak; yet had one of the better bowl records last season. In 2016 the ACC went 9-3 in bowl season and a NC. I use bowl season b/c you play good teams from the other conferences!
I'm not going to Duke can't beat the Big 10 west champ; but they can and did last year EEtigerstripe Duke defeated Northwestern(the west representative in their championship game) I believe in Illinois.
And Duke wasn't hitting on anything last year! So, no. No you would be wrong to assume they couldn't go and beat Penn St. who honestly should have lost to App St at home l.y. Or Maryland. Rutgers. Michigan St. I mean really! I like Michigan St and the way Dantoni gets them dudes prepared despite being out-manned. But, I wouldn't say Nancy St couldn't beat them.
Much like the SEC-ond conference they beat up each other - take a loss - and remain ranked! Oregon would have fell way farther because of - "perception" - of the opponents conference. "NOT THE TEAM", but the conference. Had they lost to say Nebraska or Michigan St they would have dropped way farther. Despite Aw-bum being ranked in a similar range in the polls.
Based on stuff like returning starters and L.Y. record more ACC schools should have been ranked.

The bias is real and unpleasant!

The rest of the ACC needs to stop just gearing up for Clemson and start winning even more O.O.C. games. I guess that's the only way to turn around the perception.
FSU and Miami are key to the ACC having a good perception! The rest of the country who remembers those schools glory days - will catapult them instantly with even marginal success!

Nancy St. Cuse. Pitt. UVA. Wake could all have good seasons and people would say - the conference is down.
Perception! Not facts when you are playing post season games.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why It Matters is

Sep 3, 2019, 8:06 PM

HillRock, you’ve got some valid points, and some I don’t agree with. I guess I just do t care much because ever since 2013, the ACC has had a poor “perception”, Clemson has done nothing but get better and better. I just don’t bother to worry about what anyone else thinks about the rest of the league....we can all agree with that to a point.

Sep 3, 2019, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Why It Matters is ]

HillRock, you’ve got some valid points, and some I don’t agree with. I guess I just do t care much because ever since 2013, the ACC has had a poor “perception”, Clemson has done nothing but get better and better. I just don’t bother to worry about what anyone else thinks about the rest of the league....we can all agree with that to a point.

Sep 3, 2019, 9:04 PM

EETigerStripe you don't have to agree of course!
The thing is - when the teams play it's not this total domination taking place! I don't have the record; as I said - bowl records is what I am going by and final records. You don't play teams from your own conference in bowl games; so I use that.
The SEC and Big 10 can't get fat off each other and some "good old voted on championship glory days" during bowl season. You have to actually play and beat somebody!

It doesn't tell the whole story; but the story it's telling isn't one of "it's any worse than the Pac 12" or the Big 12 beyond Oklahoma. Texas had a good year last year but before that where were they?

If FSU and Miami were good UVA would be ranked. Cuse had the same problem last season.

I am with you on the "as long as Clemson is good who cares about the rest of the ACC"! Really, I am just saying and answering the OP question.

Anyone else think the reason you don't hear a bunch of random fans from other schools who are not named Clemson or FSU recently "yelling ACC ACC ACC" is b/c of the slack academic requirements of most SEC schools? Versus the higher ones in the ACC? I think so.

But, in terms of building a strong strength of schedule, it makes sense! This propaganda is what the SEC and BIG 10 has more than anything!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2019, 7:14 PM

Not a good metric, not every team played an opponent worthy of impacting the rankings... Florida was awful and they are still ranked... Oregon lost and they are still in the top 20... lots of ACC play in the opening weekend so half of those teams lost...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2019, 7:52 PM

It’s not a metric, it’s an opinion. Just being honest with it. Cuse is only -1.5 against Maryland this weekend.....all I’m saying is that over the last couple of years, I wouldn’t lay money down for any ACC against any of the current top 5 B1G teams. That goes for the big12 as well. I’m not taking any ACC team over OU it Texas either. Just is what it is.

Go Tigers! Give A&M hell on Saturday!!

Sep 3, 2019, 8:11 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me.***

Sep 3, 2019, 8:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't worry, an ACC team will win the Natty again this year.***

Sep 3, 2019, 9:39 PM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

It's like that every year

Sep 3, 2019, 9:51 PM

and then reality sets in.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic