Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who are the elite teams in College Football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Who are the elite teams in College Football

Jul 24, 2018, 8:34 AM

To me this is an interesting argument because it defines perspective for the upcoming season and the next 3 years. Although we do not view our schedule as difficult, the ACC has improved greatly over the last 5 seasons. Alternatively Clemson has improved so much that it makes most ACC teams seem inadequate.

So in your mind what defines elite and who are they?

Mine:
1) Team can legitimately expect to beat any team home or away.
2) Team is favored home and away against everyone except other elite teams.
3) Team has developed depth to compete for multiple seasons (consistent recruiting).

Elite: Clemson, Bama, Ohio State

Tier 2 (element lacking):
FSU(1) - prior to last season they were elite
UGA(3) - close but have to prove they have depth after large turnover
OU(1) - consistent but lack ability to compete with elite teams

Tier 3 (elements lacking):
PSU(2,3) - Building depth and not strong enough to go on the road and compete
Mich(1,2) - Has not proven they can beat OSU, not strong enough on the road to be favored

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football

Jul 24, 2018, 8:48 AM

Bama is the only elite team in the nation and their record over the last 9 years proves that.(5 nattys) Cu played one good team last season....Alabama. We all know how that turned out. I don't think you can claim elite status with a single natty. Your close but....no one is in the same company as UA.....no one.

Sounds like someone has a bama crush...***

Jul 24, 2018, 8:53 AM

ESPN and all other major CF outlets disagree w your take.

Jul 24, 2018, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

Clemson has been labeled Elite along w Bama. Ohio state has been mentioned in that conversation but most say it’s Bama, Clemson and then everyone else.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

By that argument no one has a chance at beating Bama ever.

2 teams have proven they can beat Bama in a game that matters Clemson and OSU. Why would those two teams not feel they can beat Bama?

Clemson has won 82 games in 7 years and is 1 of 2 teams to appear in 3 CFPs.

Alabama is the standard, but only two teams have proven they should be in consideration to beat them over multiple years.

null

Jul 24, 2018, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

Too bad almost everyone disagrees with you, you're obsession with us is flattering.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Bless your heart !!!!

Jul 24, 2018, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

Seven consecutive ten win seasons

Four conference titles

Three consecutive CFP appearances

Two appearance in the CFP Championship game

One National Championship

Yeah, you're right, nothing elite about that (rolling eyes).

LOL..."CU played one good team last season". This coming from a fan of a school that plays in what is arguably the weakest Division among all of the Power Five conferences. Refresh my memory, didn't UGa get blown-out by 23 by a team that Clemson actually beat?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 24, 2018, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

But wait a minute...the first time your team or Alabama played Auburn, didn't you BOTH lose? Did you not get lucky to get to play them twice to say you even beat them? Guess who beat them the first try? Clemson.

1 good team? Auburn wasn't good last year?

Jul 24, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

I seem to recall them winning 2 out 3 against Bama and Georgia. Miami also won 10 games and completely clobbered ND... a team that took UGA to the wire.

I would say Clemson played about as many good teams as Georgia.

Jul 24, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

UGA had one miracle season in the last decade. A lucky game against a pathetic ND team, UGA rides the wave that the SEC was the weakest it has been in recent memory where nearly 1/2 the coaches were let go it was so lack luster, so don't be mad people want UGA to prove themselves more than once to be considered elite because talent has always been at UGA but winning consistently hasn't so the argument of a good recruiting class lacks ground to stand on here. I do believe they're a top 5 program but I do also think they haven't consecutively and consistently pumped out good seasons in the last decade such as the 3 "elite teams" he named.

Jul 24, 2018, 8:55 AM

I think most people would say 7 straight 10 win seasons, 4 conf titles in 7 years, 3 straight CFP appearances and a national championship would constitute elite status. Bama has done it longer and more times.. so yes they are still ahead of us... but I think most unbiased college football analysts would put us in that category.

Michigan at tier three !?!?!?!

Jul 24, 2018, 8:57 AM

I don't think so

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Michigan at tier three !?!?!?!

Jul 24, 2018, 9:06 AM

At first I didn't even consider them, but until last season they were favored against everyone except OSU and building depth through multiple recruiting classes. I expect them to fall out of that tier this season.

Other considerations for tier 3:
Auburn (Not proven to consistantly win big games)
Wisconsin (Not ever favored and no clear depth)
Miami (Too early, lacking proven depth)

null

In his three years at Meeshegin...

Jul 24, 2018, 9:19 AM

Harbaugh is a combined 1 - 5 against Ohio State and Michigan State.

He's also a paltry 1-7 against top-10 teams and he hasn't finished higher than third in his own division.

Jul 24, 2018, 8:59 AM

I really dont see OSU as elite. If you consider OSU as elite you should do the same for Oklahoma. I see them as the same.

Jul 24, 2018, 9:09 AM

OSU has a CFP national championship and beats highly ranked teams consistently (conference rankings can be debated)

OU is consistent, but has not won big games that matter.

null

They've clearly been one of the 3 best programs over the

Jul 24, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

last 4 years (playoff era) and they have one of the 3 best coaches in CFB. Their resume in that time period is pretty close to ours.

Honestly their 2015 team should've made the playoffs but they slept-walked through most of the season (kinda like our 2016 team) and just waited too late to turn it on. They finished 11-1 (as we did in 2016) but lost the tie-breaker to Michigan State. They crushed Michigan and Notre Dame (both top 15 teams) in their final 2 games.

Jul 24, 2018, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

TRice, you don’t see Ohio state as elite?!?!? Haha, that makes you a joke of a college football fan. Put the orange koolaid down man. They’ve won more games over the last 6 seasons than Clemson and have won a National Championship to add to their previous 7 and 6-7 Heisman trophies. Now Georgia I could understand. They are on the cusp, but need to repeat last year a few more times before joining the club. You do know that Ohio State has the same record as Clemson last year playing a harder schedule, don’t you? Think before you speak, brother. It’s embarassing.

Jul 24, 2018, 11:48 AM

Did I ever say Clemson was elite?

Jul 24, 2018, 9:06 AM

I'd put Stanford, USC, and Washington in their three and take Mich out

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jul 24, 2018, 9:14 AM

The Pac-12 has not shown a consistent power.

Washington does not recruit well enough to produce elite depth.

USC is building, but has yet to consistently compete in big games.

Stanford was very close, but has disappointed in the last two seasons.

null

Jul 24, 2018, 9:09 AM

Love them or hate them, Alabama is "the standard" in College Football. Our Tigers are the closest team to them in the entire NCAA. Whether that means "we're elite" or not, I can't say. I'm inclined to think so, as it makes no sense that there is only one elite team in the country. But on any given day, I believe our Clemson Tigers can beat anybody, including Alabama. Of course, as we saw in Syracuse last year, on any given day we can be beaten by anybody. I see Georgia and Ohio State approaching that same status but not quite there on a consistent basis. Both have a similar problem in that, like Clemson, they don't play a very difficult Conference schedule. Let's face it, we've been big favorites over every Conference team we've played over the last 5 years with the exception of Florida State. I believe they'll be strong again in a year or two, as will Miami. Beyond that, who knows. Georgia has had a cakewalk in the Conference for quite a few years but that, too, seems to be turning a bit with both Florida and Tennessee poised to make a comeback. The next few years should be interesting. And if we truly are "elite," it will be obvious this year. There's no reason we shouldn't win the National Championship this year. Offense wins games but defense wins Championships. Our defense is going to be a force to be reckoned with regardless of who our starting QB is. I can't wait!! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 9:21 AM

Love them or hate them, Alabama is "the standard" in College Football. Our Tigers are the closest team to them in the entire NCAA. Whether that means "we're elite" or not, I can't say. I'm inclined to think so, as it makes no sense that there is only one elite team in the country. But on any given day, I believe our Clemson Tigers can beat anybody, including Alabama. Of course, as we saw in Syracuse last year, on any given day we can be beaten by anybody. I see Georgia and Ohio State approaching that same status but not quite there on a consistent basis. Both have a similar problem in that, like Clemson, they don't play a very difficult Conference schedule. Let's face it, we've been big favorites over every Conference team we've played over the last 5 years with the exception of Florida State. I believe they'll be strong again in a year or two, as will Miami. Beyond that, who knows. Georgia has had a cakewalk in the Conference for quite a few years but that, too, seems to be turning a bit with both Florida and Tennessee poised to make a comeback. The next few years should be interesting. And if we truly are "elite," it will be obvious this year. There's no reason we shouldn't win the National Championship this year. Offense wins games but defense wins Championships. Our defense is going to be a force to be reckoned with regardless of who our starting QB is. I can't wait!! Go Tigers!

If we do not win it this year then I would guess Bama will be reason.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 9:36 AM

You pretty much nailed it, with the exception of Michigan. They're more like a tier 4-5 team IMOP.

I like your list, with 3 elite teams max. 'Bama is definitely in a class of their own over the last 9 years. Clemson/Ohio State are the only other programs I'd consider elite as we sit here today.

If I were buying stock I'd probably be buying PSU and UGA. PSU is going to make the playoffs, its just a matter of time.

I like the way UGA is recruiting...not as sure where they settle in over the long-haul. I'm not sold on KS the way I am on Franklin.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 9:39 AM

Yep, Clemson, Ohio St, and Bama are the three, and the entire nation agrees.

Jul 24, 2018, 9:46 AM

Tier 1

Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State

Tier 2

Oklahoma

Tier 3
Penn State

Tier 4

Michigan
FSU when healthy

On the rise Miami.

Tough team to predict and rank....Auburn

Tier 8 teams

Jul 24, 2018, 9:49 AM

The Coots and North Greenville College

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 10:04 AM

In my honest and unbiased opinion...Bama is the only true elite team. They really are in a category by themselves. We need to win one more natty in the next 2 years to be considered elite. And we need to beat the teams we're supposed to, elite teams don't lose to Syracuse caliber teams during the regular season. Ohio State is no where near elite. They got dragged by Iowa and Oklahoma last season and we put a beat down on them the year prior.

So tell me...

Jul 24, 2018, 11:26 AM

How long do you think it will be before your team is elite?

Jul 24, 2018, 10:34 AM

For me, it's still just Bama. They are year in and year out the best team and the team that everyone mentions when they talk national championship. Everyone has the "We Want Bama" signs for a reason, they are at the top of the mountain by themselves. We are definitely in the top tier, but Bama is the elite team in college football

Jul 24, 2018, 10:44 AM

Tier 1 - Alabama
Tier 2 - Clemson, Ohio State
Tier 3 - Georgia, Oklahoma
Tier 4 - Auburn, FSU, Penn State, Washington, Wisconsin

Tier 1 - Dynasty
Tier 2 - Recent titles, consistent playoff teams and title contenders
Tier 3 - A little bit short of tier 2 criteria but have the potential to get there in the near future
Tier 4 - All capable of making a playoff run (a couple have already done so), but are either inconsistent or have had trouble getting over the final hurdle and winning the conference.

I'm not sure where to put Michigan State. Their place in the upper echelon of CFB seems very, very tenuous.

Disappointing exclusions: LSU, Texas, USC, and maybe Michigan

Jul 24, 2018, 10:47 AM

Why do you put UGA over FSU.... not arguing with you just want to know why? I think FSU has accomplished more than UGA over the past 10 years

Because i don't think that things that happened 10

Jul 24, 2018, 10:59 AM

years ago are very relevant today. Pete Carroll still coached USC 10 years ago. Urban Meyer won a national title at FLORIDA 10 years ago. Saban had 0 titles at Bama 10 years ago.

I'm placing the most weight on things that have happened in the last 4-5 years. FSU has a national title, but they also went 6-6 last year and haven't come close to making the playoff in the last 3 years. Auburn has a title game appearance and were close to making the playoff last year, but they've been pretty darn inconsistent under Malzahn.

I'm putting UGA in tier 3 because that's just where i think they are trending right now. They are landing top 2 recruiting classes every year, are set at QB and RB for the next 3-4 years, just pulled in like an entire 2-deep of 4-5* OL, almost won the national title last year, etc.

Jul 24, 2018, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Who are the elite teams in College Football ]

You nailed it. That was a good one. Although, I think Georgia has arrived and is tier 2, but they still have something to prove to some people. I think they will be consistently as good as Bama in 2 years too. Georgia will play for the SEC title almost every year, probably every year, for the next 6 years. The SEC is going to get interesting.

Yeah, i think Georgia has more potential than OU

Jul 24, 2018, 11:01 AM

going forward, but they've only done it for 1 year so far. OU has made 2 of the last 3 playoffs and gave Georgia all they could handle last year.

Jul 24, 2018, 11:29 AM

I’d consider Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and probably Oklahoma as tier1 in consistently being favored to win every game they play and winning almost all of them.

Probably FSU, Georgia, penn State, Wisconsin, USC, Washington, Michigan State, Stanford, maybe even a TCU as being in the second tier. This is because those teams are all very consistent and always on the cusp of being great. Always dangersous and capable of beating anyone? Just fall a little shirt sometimes.

There are more teams in the second tier, those are just a few examples. I see teams like Texas, Michigan, ND, Auburn as being capable of stepping into the second tier at any time.

Looking back five years and

Jul 24, 2018, 11:38 AM

Then ahead for this and the following four years, it's clearly Bama, tOSU and our Tigers. No school wins them all, so to put Bama alone is folly...they could have lost '15 and '16 as well as won both.

OU hasn't done anything and I'm unsure how long they can remain Tier 2. UGA at least made a the title game and at a minimum, would head Tier 2 by a good margin, in my view. Penn State would follow.

At this point, I don't see anyone beyond the six, above, as worthy of discussion as title contenders. I will say this, in closing, though: effectively managing 'red shirt' eligibility will become extremely important...it's an incredible 'tool', if done right.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not folly to put Bama in their own tier

Jul 24, 2018, 12:38 PM

Theyve won over half of the last 9 national titles. They have more than the entire field combined. That's like peak Tiger Woods dominance and he was absolutely in his own tier for awhile.

Jul 24, 2018, 12:52 PM

I would say Alabama and Clemson. I think Ohio State is a good notch below. Georgia isn’t there yet need to have a few more seasons like last year

Does Bama play road games ? I didn't know that.***

Jul 24, 2018, 12:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 1:26 PM

Hummm, interesting to see that classification. Personally, I would lean to see how the team dominates conference play and be a bit more liberal otherwise. So, dominating conference schedule #1, winning non-conference match-ups against major programs (major bonus), being a likely favorite for winning the conference (almost every year) and a likely CFP "contender". Some programs might get a pass for a down season (FSU) or be a formally elite team rebuilding (Oregon) but recently (within the last 10 years) that is strong.

My example will be Wisconsin and counter example would be NC State. Wisconsin is always in the running for the Big10, with 7 "10 win" seasons in the last 10 years and often 6-7 wins in conference play. They have had some decent ooc wins too. Even their down years don't drop below 8 wins. Sure, they are not the "Alabama or OSU power" but they have a realistic shot at the B10 and CFP each of the last few years. Elite if not dominant. The Counter example would be NC State. Consistently 7-9 wins, not very consistent against ooc opponents (how do you lose to the coots?), they might put up a fight but they don't win their division, have not competed for the conference and we will all be dumbfounded if they tripped their way into the CFP.

Alabama, Clemson, OU, OSU, Auburn, Wisconsin, Georgia, TCU, FSU, Michigan State (up and down but they have won the B10 and gone to the CFP.... compare that to UM), USoCal, Stanford, Washington... and probably in that order.

Nearly/former elites: Florida, Ped State, ND, Oregon, OkState, Michigan, Miami... and if Texas can put two good season together I would list them in that group too as a 'fallen elite' along with nebraska (good program, bad execution). UCLA might be rising if Kelly can do it again.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic