Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who among you remembers Clemson Basketball in the old days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Who among you remembers Clemson Basketball in the old days

Dec 21, 2015, 11:05 AM

when you would sit around with your dad and brothers and listen to Clemson basketball on the radio of one of these:

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember listening to the ACC tournament on the radio.

Dec 21, 2015, 11:21 AM

Pulled for both Clemson and SC ....

Really liked the Frank McGuire SC b-ball teams as a kid.

Now not so much --- in fact not at all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember listening to the ACC tournament on the radio.

Dec 21, 2015, 12:03 PM

Me too.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who among you remembers Clemson Basketball in the old days

Dec 21, 2015, 11:21 AM

done that, or drive around in the car until you found a spot that had good reception and park and listen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had forgotten about sitting in the car and listening on

Dec 21, 2015, 11:25 AM

the radio for better reception! Those were the good ol' days! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Who among you remembers Clemson Basketball in the old days ]

I lived in a small town and this is how we had to listen to every game, football and basketball. It's funny, we weren't good at either sport but as a naive kid, I always believed we could win and was crushed when we didn't. Character building sessions my Dad use to call them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really loved Clemson and ACC basketball bas in the days

Dec 21, 2015, 11:37 AM

if Tates, Bobby and Press. The ACC was great with Bones,, Everett, Hoot,, Lefty, and those guys. Man, it did not get any bette. I can still tell you the starting five on a lot of those teams

Re: I really loved Clemson and ACC basketball bas in the days

Dec 21, 2015, 8:27 PM

Starting listening Locke's first season with the Poinsettia Christmas tournament in Greenville. Hard to believe some forty plus years have past! Coach Brownell really doesn't understand the long suffering of fans over the age of fifty! Being given excuses is frankly getting old, especially when recruiting has been so inconsistent!

Go Tigers!

Dec 21, 2015, 11:46 AM

Back in the 70s, my dad and I would listen to games in our living room on the stereo system. :)

I remember one time we were listening intently and suddenly the game was interrupted with our neighbor's CB radio base station "HELLO, SALT LAKE CITY, THIS IS THE POPCORN DADDY!" No matter the volume on our radio, we got his CB banter at full volume... it was crazy. Good thing for us is our neighbor across the street (next door to the CB dude) was a EE professor who reported them to the FCC. His amp was way over the legal limit. We were getting off lucky compared to them... it was coming in on their telephone!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 12:02 PM

I remember the days of sitting down and watching the Tigers play on that kinda TV when when Billy Packer,Jim Thacker and Bones McKinney were doing the ACC games,watching the Tigers play in their 1980 NCAA tournament run to the Elite 8 and basically just watching the Tigers all the time in those days while Tates Locke and Bill Foster were the head coaches.

I started listening when Tates Locke was coach

Dec 21, 2015, 12:02 PM

The first games I attended were during Coach Foster's years. I attended probably 95% of the games during the Ellis and Barnes years. Clemson was competitive--make no mistake. I can remember fans sitting in the aisles and standing behind the seated sections.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

My late dad and I used to listen to all the games on the

Dec 21, 2015, 12:38 PM

radio...sometimes we had to sit in the car to get reception...or hang the am radio just right with maybe a clothes hanger stuck in the antenna hole...lol...I sure miss him and those days.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 3:39 PM

My "Old Days" started in 1959 and went through 1971. Don't remember missing a home game and always listened to the away games on the radio!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 3:47 PM

Lou Bello, referee..Vic Bubas, Duke Coach....Bones McKinney, Wake Forest...Dean Smith, UNC...Lefty Drissell, Maryland...Frank McGuire, USC....Press Maravich NC State....Bill Gibson, UVA all in the Cow Palace!

Dec 21, 2015, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Who among you remembers Clemson Basketball in the old days ]

I am in my late 40's and remember listening to games on the radio and as teenager watching game after game of ACC basketball on raycom/jp regional TV. That was back before cable and all the major sports networks, and watching college games on TV was a treat. Back then I could have told you the staring five for any team in the ACC.

Dec 21, 2015, 5:26 PM

ACC tourney 1970 something. Halftime score was something like MD 5 and the coots 4.
Lefty slowed the ball down. This was before shot clock or 5 seconds call. Strange game

As mentioned in a previous post, I go back to Fike Field

Dec 21, 2015, 5:37 PM

House days with Press Maravich and the diminutive Bobby Robertson....both were fine families

We used to have to listen to all away games on the radio (WFBC in Greenville). I was trying to remember the first Clemson basketball game shown on tv, but couldn't

The ACC Tournament was always great and it was a childhood dream to attend.....I've been to many as an adult but the very first day of the first ACC Tournament I ever attended still lives in my memory--every detail.

Most folks are surprised to find there are Clemson basketball fans

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 6:02 PM

old days to me was watching the many McHaffeys in the Cow Palace ...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 8:17 PM

You mean you chilluns don't remember when Banks McFadden coach basketball? Actually, I mostly rember Press Maravich and Bobby Roberts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember Larry Nance dunking on Zam Frederick

Dec 21, 2015, 8:33 PM

and jumping off the couch, landing on my moms coffee table, exploding it and while my mom was about to blast me my Pop, a fanatic ND fan, told my Mom, "Ill fix it Nancy, he about tore the rim down on a Chicken!". I wouldnt trade those memories for a million bucks. I was raised by a Man buried in an ND hat and sweater but goodness he detested the Chickens like a Tiger fan.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic