Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 102
| visibility 1

Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio?

Nov 9, 2017, 5:46 PM

This is a little related to the question of attendance..

I am old enough to remember a time when every college football game was not televised. Just not enough networks to cover games.

Because games were rarely televised (70's and early 80's), people went to the games more. Tickets were affordable too.

Although innovation has created these wonderful technologies to literally broadcast theater quality game-cast in to your homes, many of you will never really appreciate listening to a game called by Jim Phillips in a nail-biter with no TV coverage.....

Jim Phillips have the gift of bring you to the game in such away that you really didn't feel as if you were missing anything.

Just a little nostalgia...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio?***

Nov 9, 2017, 5:52 PM

Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio?

Nov 9, 2017, 5:54 PM

Can even remember my Dad driving us up I-26 a bit from Charleston to a rest area to get BB games on the radio.Jim Phillips called the games I "played" in my backyard growing up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Driving up 1 26 ?

Nov 9, 2017, 6:18 PM

There was no I 26 when I was listening to Jim Phillips!

Go Tigers!

Class of '60

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

?? I26 was built in 60. JP started calling games in 68.

Nov 10, 2017, 9:07 AM

I think you has the confuse. Maybe thinking about I385?

Jim came to Clemson my senior year, and I had

Nov 9, 2017, 5:55 PM

the great fortune to meet him...and to hear his broadcasts for years when I couldn't attend a game.

Both he and Bob Fulton with the Gamecocks were legends in their own day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2017, 6:05 PM

I remember it all to well. In fact, outside of the state of SC, the games weren’t available at all. The best thing that happened to Clemson sports not to many years ago was their affiliation with the Gaffney radio station. It had the power to reach well into the state of NC. I remember sitting in Groves Stadium at WF and listening to Phillips and Yanity. The coaches shows were on also and that was great. In fact, as you probably remember, Jim had a weekly show that I really enjoyed. Todays youth don’t realize how difficult it was to be a Tiger fan before espn!!!
I bet that you also remember the old Orange and White. I couldn’t wait for the next edition! That was the only connection any fan had to recruiting. Along with the “Poop Sheet” from chapel hill. Remember that?

Hard for me to be critical of espn and some others because I starved for news back in the day!

GO. TIGERS.

Nov 9, 2017, 6:26 PM

Very much so. Radio tested your patience. I have none, so listening was stressful for me. Lol. Was happy to be able to listen!

I remember the O&W and "Leonard's Losers"

Nov 9, 2017, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

The Pigskin Prophet has nothing on Leonard Postero and Percy Peabody

Re: I remember the O&W and "Leonard's Losers"

Nov 9, 2017, 8:05 PM

Get me outta here Percy.

Leonard will be back next week with another bunch of losers. Until then here’s hoping you’ll be with us.

My favorite sign off of all time.

Re: I remember the O&W and "Leonard's Losers"

Nov 9, 2017, 8:18 PM [ in reply to I remember the O&W and "Leonard's Losers" ]

Anybody under the age of thirty has absolutely no appreciation of the quality of Jim and crew during the Ford years and beyond. Technology has spoiled us on so many levels! My late father and I would set up a radio outside while doing yard work or during fishing and dove shoots and listen. My nephew and I attended the Middle Tenn. the weekend after Jim died and there was true mourning for a legend. Bob Fulton almost lost it as a guest announcer.

“Dandy Don” cannot hold a candle to Jim Philips in his best years. It was a shame Jim was forbidden to call the 1981 Championship game due to restrictions. This was likely his greatest disappointment as a broadcaster. He took many little or totally unknown facts about Tigers sports with him upon his passing.

Go Tigers!

Postoasties...

Nov 9, 2017, 9:50 PM [ in reply to I remember the O&W and "Leonard's Losers" ]

not Postero (smh hthh)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Postoasties...

Nov 9, 2017, 10:19 PM

Posteros was Leonard's real name.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

CORRECT! Obviously some did knot know that.

Nov 10, 2017, 12:54 PM

nm

Nov 10, 2017, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

Orange and white. Totally forgot about that.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2017, 6:12 PM

Me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't even close enough for radio so I had to watch

Nov 9, 2017, 6:13 PM

the scores run across the bottom of a big 10 or sec game and hope the next mention of the game was a final score and we won.

A lot's changed since those days.

Nov 9, 2017, 6:16 PM

I remember listening to Jim Phillips calling the games during the 1981 season. I remember getting to watch the Clemson - UNC game on television that season. What a truly great game. I also remember those terrible probation years when we couldn’t be on television and we had to listen to them on the radio.

Nov 9, 2017, 6:23 PM

Telegraph! ??

Tiger/Terrier

The first time I remember ever seeing us on TV was..........

Nov 9, 2017, 6:25 PM

when I was a senior in the fall of 1976. We played NC State on regional TV on ABC. I remember everybody on campus was all excited seeing the TV trucks rolling in to DV. And in those days, they had to run thick black cables all over the place for the TV cameras, etc.

DV in those days wasn't wired for TV like it is now so everything had to be wired manually for TV. And, of course, there wasn't the wireless TV transmission technology that they can use today.

But I remember seeing DV on the TV right before walking down to the game - it was unbelievable seeing our stadium on TV! Now, we take it for granted every week.

In those days, only the traditional big teams (Alabama, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, the USC, Notre Dame, etc.) ever got on TV. The rest of us had to settle for radio.

And radio in those days wasn't the clear digital transmission it is today. Back then, you had to listen to Jim Phillips on a scratchy, muffled-sounding analog broadcast.

Nov 9, 2017, 6:26 PM
IMG_2083.JPG(156.1 K)

Great memories from the late 50s when I was about 9 listening to Tiger games in Columbia on my older sister's brand new 7 transistor portable radio. Listening outside with no power cord was so cool!

Nov 9, 2017, 6:32 PM

Here is a throwback. 1982, Tokyo, Japan. The Mirage Bowl. Clemson vs Wake Forest. The game did not start until about midnight. I was about 13 years old then and stayed up to almost 4am listening to it on the radio. It was always great to listen to Jim Phillips call a game and then watch the Danny Ford Show on Sunday just to see some video to put with the plays. Good Times!

Nov 9, 2017, 7:44 PM

My wife and I were at the Mirage Bowl. The Japanese didn't quite to know what to make of the game of football. I well remember the cold noodle lunch boxes they served us in the stadium--smelled like seaweed and fish--not my favorite.

I remember that and stayed up...Great Memory

Nov 9, 2017, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

Thank you for that

Nov 9, 2017, 6:35 PM

I loved listening to Jim Phillips call the games. But he had one habit that would drive me crazy and he only did it on huge plays at critical points of the game, I guess from being so excited. But he would say, "did you see that?! did you see that!?". I'm thinking "no Jim, I didn't. It's radio! Why don't you tell us about it." lol

He was a great one!

I sat beside him calling games for twenty years

Nov 9, 2017, 7:16 PM

and don't ever recall him saying that. Never heard it on any of the many clips of him on YouTube either

Re: I sat beside him calling games for twenty years

Nov 9, 2017, 9:20 PM

> and don't ever recall him saying that. Never heard it
> on any of the many clips of him on YouTube either

??. He was a great one .

Nov 9, 2017, 6:57 PM

I remember. My family had a radio, turntable and black and white tv console that was about the size of a full size refrigerator. I would cut on the game and pace back and forth in front of this gargantus piece of technology. My mom would tell me to sit down so I wouldn’t wear a hole in the rug. That just would not work I couldn’t sit still while my beloved Tigers were playing.

My dad being the problem solver in the Family came up with an ingenious idea to use my pent up energy and to also keep peace in the family. For the rest of that season and for several years there after my dad would cut on the radio in the car and I would wash the car as I listened to the game. I have many fond memories of washing that car while listening to the game. It actually became a neighborhood gathering place during the game. People would bring lawn chairs and food and tailgate around our car and listen to the game as I washed and scrubbed that car.

It was rough for some of the coldest days but I just put my snow clothes on which consist of thermal underwear a stocking hat and gloves covered with Sunbeam bread bags to make them “waterproof “ I actually found that I could focus on the game and visualize every play in my head.

I was able to follow my favorite team, my parents got to socialize with the neighbors and we always had the cleanest car at church on Sunday morning.

Re: Who Remembers listening to Sunday show

Nov 9, 2017, 6:57 PM

with Coach Howard talking about Ray (Yawga) Yauger and Buddy Gore up the middle for three tough yards? Can still remember his voice.

Nov 9, 2017, 7:19 PM

And who could forget Coach Howard coming on The Frank Howard Show when Clemson went to the inaugural Blue Bonnet Bowl back in 1960-- wearing a blue bonnet on his old bald head? Clemson played TCU (and won) in the Tigers' second bowl appearance of 1960 (the first being the Sugar Bowl against LSU and Billy Cannon-- the Heisman Trophy winner-- which we lost 7-0).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excuse the typo--- it was 1959, not 1960.***

Nov 9, 2017, 7:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2017, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers listening to Sunday show ]

LSU was also the national champion for that season. Back then they awarded the championship before the bowls. The bowls truly were only a reward to the good teams back then.

Sunday show

Nov 9, 2017, 8:46 PM

Oh, yes, watching the Bashful Baron of Barlow Bend and Voy-nuh Ta-it. (Verner Tate from Channel 7). Loved watching that show after church with mom's meat loaf and mashed potatoes and green beans and homemade biscuits. High living.

Re: Sunday show

Nov 11, 2017, 9:44 AM

Verner: Welcome to the Frank Howard Show. We’ll review the Clemson-Maryland game, which Clemson won 40-0.

Howard: Say that score again Voy-Nuh.

Verner: Clemson won 40 - 0

Howard: I luv the sound of dat

Nov 9, 2017, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers listening to Sunday show ]

I don't remember the bonnet but do not doubt it. I do remember the game being on at grandma's house and my dad being very happy in that 2nd half as we took over the game.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers listening to Sunday show ]

Buddy Go-wer, Jimmy the needle Addison, Charlie Waters, Jacky Jackson

Nov 9, 2017, 7:03 PM

Back in the day used to upgrade to unlimited long distance calls during football season, call my parents who lived in sc and get them to put the phone by the radio. I was sticking it to the man!

Bill Goodrich***

Nov 9, 2017, 7:13 PM

Re: Bill Goodrich***

Nov 9, 2017, 8:42 PM

Woo hoo mercy!

Re: Bill Goodrich***

Nov 9, 2017, 8:52 PM

It was very easy to think he was saying woo ho, but he was actually saying whew whew mercy.

Woo mercy!! Bill Goodrich! Did he get fired for saying

Nov 9, 2017, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Bill Goodrich*** ]

something inappropriate on the air, during a game?

Nov 9, 2017, 7:15 PM

I’ll never forget listening to Jim Phillips with my dad. And Leonard’s Losers on the way to games. Late 70’s, early 80’s for me.

Nov 9, 2017, 7:16 PM

While in the USAF in England during the mid 70s, we got the college scores in the Tuesday issue of Stars and Stripes.

Nov 9, 2017, 7:20 PM

I had to do yard work on Saturday and listened on my headphone radio !

Nov 9, 2017, 7:22 PM

I think my Dad almost preferred games on the radio because he could do yard work simultaneously.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:50 PM

I still do that. If I am not at the game I have a hard time watching on TV and hearing the drivel from the national announcers. So, I turn on the radio, work in the garage or in my office and fly down the hall to watch selected replays. I seem to be able to take the tension better that way, but that is just me.

Loved listening on radio. Even loved Munson and Bob Fulton.

Nov 9, 2017, 7:28 PM

I could sometimes leave Clemson game and catch Munson on an AM station calling the UGAly game. Bob Fulton was so much better than Todd Ellis who is horrific.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of them, along with guys like Al Ciraldo at Tech, Wally Ausley

Nov 9, 2017, 7:34 PM

at State, Woody Durham, Kaywood Ledford at UK, and so many more, cut their teeth in radio. Most today start in TV and there's a huge difference. Heck, Bob Fulton started out calling baseball games off ticker-tape.

The last of that generation, Bob Harris at Duke, retired this year. That age will never happen again, and those who didn't get to enjoy it really don't know what they missed

Nov 9, 2017, 7:32 PM

Oh my! I loved hearing Jim Philips announce the game. I enjoy reading everyone's memories from that era. I remember pacing too. Glad my dad didn't think to have me wash the car! Thanks for this blast from the past!

Nov 9, 2017, 7:42 PM

Jim Phillips and Larry Munson were the best.

Larry could make you feel like you were in the huddle when the DAWGS offense was calling the play!

Both Hall of Fame Broadcasters I believe.

Jim, especially on the away games, could paint a picture of what was happening. One of the best!

more recent than you remember

Nov 9, 2017, 7:54 PM

I remember our horrible loss at Duke in 2004 being on radio only. Listening in the living room as Duke made a 50 yard field goal as time expired to beat us 16-13

Nov 9, 2017, 7:54 PM

When I was young, the voice of the Tigers was a man named Jimmy Coggins. He was great. He was replaced by Bill Goodrich. Goodrich was replaced by Jim. I was fortunate to work in the booth with Jim from 1977 till 1980. I also worked with him at Chan. 4 in Greenville. Before then I did PA for football and basketball at Clemson for several years.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:21 PM

Is Bill Goodrich the one who used to emphasize the word "twwwwwwooooooooo" or what that Jim Phillips? I can remember the old radio days of the late 60s and 70s. I can recall many of the lineups. Players from Ware Shoals, Conway, Honea Path and other metropolis. By the way, does anyone think upstate SC used to have superior high school football in the old days and supplied the Tigers with great teams?

Nov 9, 2017, 8:35 PM

I remember the 1969 Tiger won over Ga. Tech and Coach Howard being elated. I’ve been going to games once in awhile since 1959 at age six. Radio was our lifeline every Saturday.

I recall the down years of the 1970s before Steve Fuller and company brought us the glory years. We are very fortunate in the present.

Go Tigers!

Nov 9, 2017, 8:01 PM

Ah the memories. Class of '89, been listening to games since birth.
- raking leaves with the UMd games on
- listening to the ND game from South Bend
- Jim Phillips' voice ringing through our entire house

Those were great times. Now my kids are building Clemson memories of their own.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:06 PM

I remember listening to Jimmy Coggins call the games on the radio when Clemson was never on TV. He was the play by play man in the 50's and 60's and one of the best game callers I have ever heard.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:16 PM

You must be as old as I.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:38 PM

How many of you know Larry Munson called a Clemson game. Can you name the opponent and where the game was played?

Nov 9, 2017, 8:53 PM

I am going to guess that was some bowl game but we had none of those between 60 and 77. I thought Munson came to Atlanta when the Braves came in 65 or 66. So, I am at a loss.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:02 PM

You are correct it was a bowl game. He called the 1993 Peach Bowl and our opponent was Kentucky. It was fantastic, especially the end of the game call with us winning.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

Coggins was pretty good, I remember him frequently saying the opponent was stopped by a "whole host of Tigers." As a kid I could only imagine what that looked like, but I liked it!

Nov 11, 2017, 10:44 AM

Later, when I started doing pbp on radio, I stole that whole host phrase.

i sure miss jim philip's broadcast of the games.***

Nov 9, 2017, 8:28 PM

Remember it well. Most "silver backs" do.....

Nov 9, 2017, 8:56 PM

I owe RevDodd $1.00

Radio broadcasting is a lost art.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:01 PM

I believe that radio play by play guys are so bad because none of them grew up listening to the radio broadcasts. There is a big difference in the doing tv where you are elaborating on what you see and radio where you have to paint a picture for the listener. TV play by play folks are lazy and do nothing but hyper-analyze instead of just calling the action with creativity and not just cliches. The radio guys of today would do well to go back and study the greats of old and learn.

Amen***

Nov 9, 2017, 10:36 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I was at Clemson 1985-1988 but only went to a game or two.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:02 PM

I set up my classes on MWF or TuTh and worked the other days because I had a family. I heard Jim on the radio so much that after I left school I'd watch the games while listening to JP. Even now I mute the games and when everything around the house is still I can almost hear his voice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2017, 9:03 PM

When the games were on TV, we usually turned down the sound and listened to Jim Phillips call the game. When the team visited DC this year and I read that Billy Davis was with the Secret Service detail, I could immediately hear Jim saying "Davis back deep for the Tigers."

Nov 9, 2017, 9:03 PM

I loved listening to Jim as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's before all the games were televised.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:09 PM

I'm waiting on our next radio guy that can fill that throne the way Phillips did. Not trying to bash Munson, but during the GA Tech game we scored and he added a quick "C-L-E-M-S-O-N" cheerleader type call that sounded like Richard Simmons was announcing our game. I think Don is great for many of the interview segments and Olympic sports calls he does. For our legendary Clemson Football Team, he is just not qualified. I hope we can get a better guy for football soon and let Don handle the other little things he is pretty darn good at. ?

Nov 9, 2017, 9:35 PM

Fellows-- I remember when there were no games on the radio. The first ones I remember were in the early 1930's. I remember Red Barber announcing the Univ. of Florida games. Red eventually became the voice of the NY Yankees. He was a good one.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2017, 9:49 PM

Point for a great memory ??

Nov 11, 2017, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

I remember when the greatest of all, Bill Stern, used to be on one of the networks and call Notre Dame games with Johnny Lujack playing. I was kid living in Greenville and one of the stations carried the games. I think that was the reason I chose a life in radio. I never made the big time but it was a good life and I miss it.

These youngsters have no idea what it was like when Clemson

Nov 9, 2017, 10:10 PM

was on television about every 3rd year.....There were three games. 2 on ABC maybe and one Jefferson Pilot. It was Notre Dame vs. USC, Notre Dame vs. Mich, Notre Dame vs. Texas, Texas vs. Oklahoma, Oklahoma vs. Nebraska, Nebraska vs. Texas, Alabama vs. LSU, Alabama vs. Penn St.,USC vs. UCLA, Georgia vs. Auburn............

There was no Clemson, no Miami, NO Florida State...........

That's the dang truth!***

Nov 9, 2017, 10:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: These youngsters have no idea what it was like when Clemson

Nov 10, 2017, 9:56 AM [ in reply to These youngsters have no idea what it was like when Clemson ]

Yes, and in black and white.

Jim Phillips was my eyes for all Clemson away games,

Nov 9, 2017, 10:26 PM

as we attended all of the home games back then. And I have distant but pretty clear memories of Bill Goodrich before JP. There was truly an art to what they did, and they were masters. You really didn't feel like you were missing anything.

- H. L. Mencken

Nov 9, 2017, 10:30 PM

In the 1950s the broadcast team was Jimmy Coggins from Newberry SC, play by play and Ed Osborne from Union SC, color commentator they called it back then. They were both Clemson grads and both owned radio stations. They were real pros.

Message was edited by: fairwoodtiger 67®

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Nov 10, 2017, 9:58 AM

Jimmy Coggins Jr. did PC games for years and was pretty good.

Nov 10, 2017, 12:15 PM

He sounds a lot like his dad did, Sr's voice was more gravelly sounding I think.

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Nov 9, 2017, 11:33 PM

I do and the channels you could listen were not a lot

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Actually, the radio network was far larger

Nov 10, 2017, 9:12 AM

then than now, when WFBC, now WYFF owned it. Well over 100 stations in the 1980's

Nov 10, 2017, 1:21 AM

Who remembers "whoo who, mercy!"

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2017, 1:31 AM

And who remembers Billy Packer (Mark's dad) and Jim Thacker on the Pilot Game of the week? "Sail with the Pilot, all the way. So get on board the Pilot ship today." Those were special times.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2017, 1:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

My memory fails me. Who was the “Ricochet Rabbit”? Jim Phillips seemed to enjoy calling his plays.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2017, 1:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

My memory fails me. Who was the “Ricochet Rabbit”? Jim Phillips seemed to enjoy calling his plays.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2017, 1:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

Nov 10, 2017, 1:56 AM

I think it was Warren Ratchford

Nov 10, 2017, 7:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

Stacy Driver.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If I ever have to use this baby, I want to teach it to come to Papa in a hurry."

Yep, Driver***

Nov 10, 2017, 8:30 AM

Nov 10, 2017, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Who Remembers Only Getting the Game On Radio? ]

That was Bill Goodrich, announcer before Jim Phillips!

My father said during the Clemson - Maryland game in 1978(I was at the game). Jim's call on a play was, "Fuller drops back, he hits Jerry Butler over the middle and he's off to the races.....(crowd noise)....and the try for the extra point is good!" He said he was sitting there on the edge of his chair wating!

A friend of mine's father swore he heard a call on the radio, "(Bobby) Gage throws a long, long, long...no he decides to run it!" Don't know who the announcer would have been.

Nov 10, 2017, 1:26 AM

I remember sitting in my room listening to Jim Phillips on WWBD radio, Bamberg,SC as a young teen in the early 70s. Man, those were the days!

Nov 10, 2017, 7:51 AM

I still remember playing on the CLEMSON Chess team (not affiliated with CLEMSON though) in a tournament in Rutherfordton NC, and in between matches, would venture outside and someone had the game on the radio with Jim calling the play-by-play. It was Fall, the weather was awesome, and CLEMSON was on the radio. Life was better than we can even describe it.

Nov 10, 2017, 8:05 AM

Remember going to a Maryland game in late 60’s or maybe 70. On a pair of student tickets, on a rainy day, we sat on the 50 yd line among the few hundred fans in an otherwise empty stadium. It seemed there were more people (participants) on the sidelines.

I remember listening to the Duke-Clemson game

Nov 10, 2017, 9:27 AM

that was in Japan back in 1991.

Does that count?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Thanks for the greats memories in this thread

Nov 10, 2017, 9:36 AM

I am amazed at the number of looks and replies this thread received. I guess the are more of us older folks than I realized..LOL

I just threw this little post out here feeling a little nostalgic as I listen to some of the banter going over students not attending, ticket prices, 24-7 information access and people were some more tighter back in those days when we would huddle around the radio listening to the Tigers.

Someone in this thread mentioned that radio play calling is a lost art and I agree wholeheartedly...

I also think that "fellowshipping" among friends and family is a lost art. While people are "together" at events, most folks have their heads in their smart phones rather than looking at each other and enjoying other's company.

I would go back to those days in a NY Minute.

I remember it well. You couldnt ever see

Nov 10, 2017, 10:02 AM

Clemson vs. SCAR unless you went in person.

Remember when Jim got a little overserved and called the game from his hotel room in Maryland?

Nov 10, 2017, 12:04 PM

AM only

Re: I remember listening to Coggins doing the games. I

Nov 10, 2017, 12:24 PM

could not attend many of the games so I would listen to the games on my transistor while sitting in the woods shooting squirrels.

Nov 10, 2017, 2:19 PM

By the time I became acquainted with Clemson Football, Jim Phillips was well established as part of the tradition. Of course I loved him as part of all things Clemson!

After my college days at Clemson were over there was a period of many years before I could afford to go to all of the games, so I faithfully listed to Jim Phillips call our games.

Even though I greatly admired him, I do recall being frustrated by his play calling on many occasions by his description of offensive plays because of the excitement in his voice coupled with his verbose information about what he was seeing. It always sounded like Clemson was making a huge gain and he would inevitably say "and FINALLY knocked down at the xx yard line!" The amount of yardage gained on these calls was usually only one or two so I was exasperated to find out that "finally knocked down" was not the 20 + yard gain I was prepared to hear him say! But I still loved listening to him and admired that he was an ambassador for Clemson. But mostly what I admired was that he was a gentleman. How extremely sad it was hearing that he died so unexpectedly!

I agree with so many of the comments in this string regarding the "golden age" of broadcasting by so many great radio personalities. In addition to our own great Jim Phillips, I'd have to agree that Bob Fulton was also one of the best! Both of these gentlemen excelled in calling non-biased and accurate descriptions without giving away what team they hoped would win. They were not cheer leaders, but rather highly professional broadcasters. We appear to be living in the golden age of Clemson Football right now, and I find it regrettable that Jim Phillips can't be here to tell us what he sees.

Life goes on, and so do our Clemson Tigers! You make us proud!

I remember "Hamilton from the corner with a rainbow archer"

Nov 11, 2017, 9:25 AM

for some reason more than football

And "Buckner jams!"

Nov 11, 2017, 9:54 AM

Still my favorite call from his career

I loved Jim Phillips! He should be

Nov 11, 2017, 9:32 AM

In the Ring of honor. For 30 years, he was the voice of the Tigers. And for many of those years, was the only connection many who could not get to the game had to know how the game was going. Plus he had a unique charm about his voice. Back in those days, even if the game was on TV, I would mute the TV and listen to Jim Phillips while viewing the tube. (This was easy before everything became digital)

Replies: 102
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic