Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
While I think the fight against Breast Cancer that the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

While I think the fight against Breast Cancer that the

Oct 19, 2018, 10:17 PM

All In Foundation and Tigers for Tata's is fundraising for is great, I wonder if it would be better to take an all cancer approach similar to what Miami(OH) did.

While breast cancer is the most common cancer, the number is driven up by breast cancer in situ(which is not truly cancer). The mortality rate of breast cancer is relatively low by comparison to other cancer types, though this may be due to the focus it has gotten and the screenings that are now prevalent due to awareness. And breast cancer is primarily a female disease. while other cancers are of concern to both sexes.

Don't get me wrong, I think anything that is done to combat any disease is great. I just wonder if the focus on breast cancer might limit the awareness and funding of other cancer types.

Anyway, Miami(OH) has focused on Cancer awareness in general in a unique way so players don't have to wear pink.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/look-miami-university-to-wear-special-helmets-for-cancer-awareness-vs-kent-state/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: While I think the fight against Breast Cancer that the

Oct 19, 2018, 10:20 PM

This change probably can't be done on a large scale bc it would be seen as a war on wimmens by some groups.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My only question is Are we trying to find a cure or just

Oct 19, 2018, 10:23 PM

newer and more expensive ways to treat?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My only question is Are we trying to find a cure or just

Oct 19, 2018, 10:25 PM

There's not a whole lot of profit in curing a disease. Treatment is where the money is at.

I believe the funding from Komen and other breast cancer

Oct 19, 2018, 10:27 PM [ in reply to My only question is Are we trying to find a cure or just ]

groups is focused on detection (and therefore treatment). I think that is where the majority of the budget is directed though I'm sure there is also cure-oriented funding as well, but that is not the Lion's share.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

No***

Oct 19, 2018, 10:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I understand your point, the All In Foundation

Oct 19, 2018, 11:49 PM

has chosen to support breast cancer awareness and prevention because of Kathleen’s family history. I am a breast cancer survivor and although it may not be the most common or most deadly type, I can tell you that it is a frightening diagnosis striking women of all ages. I was 44 with school age children when I underwent 2 surgeries, 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Early detection, advanced treatment techniques, and God’s grace are the reasons I am here 18 years later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: While I understand your point, the All In Foundation

Oct 20, 2018, 12:49 AM

Congrats on beating the big C ! Treatment of all types of cancer has improved dramatically over the years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad that you survived. I did not mean to belittle the

Oct 20, 2018, 8:56 AM [ in reply to While I understand your point, the All In Foundation ]

impact of a breast cancer diagnosis.

I just wonder that other cancer programs are being shortchanged because of such strong focus on breast cancer.

Just had a patient, healthy 44yom, die of testicular cancer.

Oct 20, 2018, 1:20 AM

Young wife, 4yo daughter. The dude was incredible. He finished his 3rd round of chemo, a drug called bleomycin, and was essentially cancer free. Oncology recommends a 4th dose to make sure everything is eradicated. He developed a pulmonary fibrosis reaction to the bleomycin after the 4th dose. The poor guy essentially just decompensated for 3 months, progressing to finally being intubated, placed in a medically induced "coma" (paralyzed, sedated), and manually proned (put on his belly) for 16 hours a day. We couldn't oxygenate him, he went into vtach, and died early morning last week. Quite tragic. Nothing makes you appreciate living like watching another family's heart wrenching grief.

Get your boys checked and always really consider medical recommendations..
Oh, and don't be too proud to tell people you love them. It's what matters in life.

null

Re: Just had a patient, healthy 44yom, die of testicular cancer.

Oct 20, 2018, 6:16 AM

Heartbreaking story. Having experience with bleomycin myself, I would add to get a second opinion at a major medical center for any cancer diagnosis and treatment plan. It can save your life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just had a patient, healthy 44yom, die of testicular cancer.

Oct 20, 2018, 11:20 AM

Absolutely who your dr is can be life saving. Attitude and support also make up a big part. God bless all those who have dealt with or are dealing with this disease

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 20, 2018, 9:35 AM

I am a 2 time cancer survivor, neither of them being breast cancer. Breast cancer runs in my family...2 sisters and my mother. I totally think that the money going to breast cancer research is worth every penny. Early detection is the key. It is curable if caught early and the All In Foundation makes is possible for many more people to be screened. The majority of the people it helps would never be screened without it. Any cancer diagnosis is gut wrenching, as both of mine were, but breast cancer seems to strike more often and earlier than most. Maybe you just hear about it more. Regardless, I have no problem with his choice in the All In Foundation. I attended the ladies clinic and saw all the breast cancer survivors there and it was humbling.

Breast cancer certainly has been successful

Oct 20, 2018, 9:57 AM

In marketing for donations. I do wonder if it slightly reduces the awareness of other cancers that are usually more deadly like lung or colon cancer since those cancers and others do not have a nationwide sports fundraising month like breast cancer does.

Also we should pay more attention to ALS as there is no cure for that and is not even really treatable at all. It's the nightmare diagnosis of all diseases.

Oct 20, 2018, 11:10 AM

With all of today’s advancement in breast cancer there are still far too many dying from the disease. My sister in law had breast cancer in her 40’s and for almost 15 years she was cancer free. One day it came back and this time none of the old or new treatments worked. Yes all cancer needs awareness, just know breast cancer is still deadly

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 20, 2018, 12:42 PM

All of the comments lead to one of the most important points --- early detection. Women have programs of self examination that lead to early detection of breast cancer but from what I understand, one can miss on self examination sometimes. This leads to an important point. VISIT YOUR DOCTOR REGULARLY FOR A COMPLETE PHYSICAL. In my younger days I tried to avoid going to a doctor unless I was sick. Those blood tests and checking that old body from head to toe can detect whether we are fit or "fixable". In another month I will reach 97 and have never had a serious illness or injury. I chalk that up to being lucky and possibly inheriting some good genes from someone in my background.

I've always believed ATTITUDE has both preventative and curative powers and comments from the ladies who posted on this subject appears to support my assumption.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2018, 9:35 PM

Amen !

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic