Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Camping is the only way to "solve" student tickets
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Camping is the only way to "solve" student tickets

Sep 25, 2017, 8:55 AM

After what we saw against BC this weekend, I think it's safe to say that this years change for tickets was a terrible idea and a failure. A lot of people tried to point that out in advance.

The $250 thing isn't going to be any better though. All that does is guarantee an individual ticket for somebody who can afford the $250. It doesn't guarantee you're sitting with your friends. It doesn't guarantee the person who paid the $250 will be there after halftime. The only thing that it does is guarantee that the student can afford the extra $250.

Camping solves every issue.

1. If you don't care that much, you can enter the lottery with zero extra effort. Camping for tickets ensures that the students who actually care get the best tickets.

2. If you want to sit with your friends, your group just needs to camp together. Doesn't matter who can or can't afford the extra cash. This also has the added benefit of removing any reason for people to leave "to go see their friends" since they should be sitting together already. Camping as a group makes it a lot easier for people to rotate, bring supplies, etc.

3. Nobody...NOBODY who camps for a ticket is going to no show, much less leave after halftime.

4. After the reaction from the alumni from the terrible showing of students this weekend, it's safe to say that getting the students who care into the stadium is a lot more important than knowing they paid $250. Alumni don't see a dime of that money, but we do feel the embarrassment from an empty student section.

There's no other solution out there that's going to address those issues better than letting students camp for tickets.

Camping rewards the committed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

100% agree***

Sep 25, 2017, 8:58 AM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm fine with that I'm also fine with awarding those who

Sep 25, 2017, 9:00 AM

attend lesser games a front of the line pass.

Either of those I'm OK with. Lottery is bad idea because the schmuck who only wants to attend FSU and Auburn may luck out over a dedicated fan who goes to all games. Both camping and the other help with that problem.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Camping is the only way to "solve" student tickets

Sep 25, 2017, 9:01 AM

I camped out for tickets my first two years at Clemson before they switched to the new system. I actually enjoyed it. If you have a group of people you can all camp and sit together. We would end up with 15-20 people all around us that were friends with because we all camped together and got in line together.

It is a pain in the ### in theory but if you break it into shifts it isn't bad at all. Bring your computer, bring your book, do your homework in the tent. It is the most efficient way to do things and they took it away.

We camped for tickets for over a week for Georgia tickets and then 11 days to get FSU tickets back in 2013 and that game ended in a 51-14 blowout and I was there until the end.

Where can I sign up to camp for the alumni tix?

Sep 25, 2017, 9:04 AM

I graduated in 2004 and my wife in 2006.

We've got 2 kids and not a ton of disposable income to have been constant IPTAY donors over the years.

Where can I sign up for the extras of our donors that can afford the 10 tickets allotted for their donation and they only use 4?

All that does is show that they can afford the donation and ticket price.

The generosity of the donors is great with $350 auburn tix to fill the stadium with alumni young and old who can only make it to a game or two each year.

Re: Where can I sign up to camp for the alumni tix?

Sep 25, 2017, 9:29 AM

Student tickets and season tickets are a little bit of a different animal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

$$$$?

Sep 25, 2017, 9:38 AM

FOR SALE : Wake Forest tickets: (2) Sect F-$200 each / (4) Sect UG-$175 each/ (4) Sect O-$175 each / (2) Sect UH-$160 / (2) Sect UC-$160 each / (2/4) Sect UN-$150 each / (2/4) Sect UQ-$150 each / (2) Sect UR-$140 each / (2) Sect UI-$140 each / (2) Sect S-$130 each

FOR SALE : Georgia Tech tickets: (2) Sect F-$225 each / (2) Sect UE-$225 each / (2) Sect UN-$180 each / (2) Sect UQ-$180 each / (2) Sect UR-$170 each / (2) Sect UI-$170 each / (2) Sect S-$160 each / (2) Sect T-$150 each

FOR SALE : Florida State tickets: (2) Sect F-$400 each / (2) Sect UE-$400 each / (2) Sect D-$375 each / (4) Sect O-$400 each / (2) Sect H-$350 each / (2) Sect UC-$350 each / (2) Sect UN-$350 each / (2) Sect UQ-$350 each / (2) Sect UR-$325 each / (2) Sect S-$300 each / (2) Sect T-$280 each

I think a good mix would be the best idea.

Sep 25, 2017, 9:31 AM

I know camping supposedly causes complaints from people as well, so I think you could easily compromise.

I would allow IPTAY Collegiate Club members the ability to purchase a student ticket. Maybe cap it at 6,000 of the 12,000. I don't know the number. This would be a General Admission ticket. You arrive early, you get the seats of your choice and can sit with your buddies. This also adds to the pregame atmosphere.

The rest of the seats are given out by "camping out". But, I would have a priority points system in place for camping out.

On Monday, if you have >500 points, you get your ticket at a certain window. Tuesday, >300 points, you get your ticket at a certain window. Etc...

You get priority points based on primarily on attendance to other sporting events, but also seniority, president's list, etc. So in theory, those with high priority points camp in a shorter line and will be almost assured a ticket.

The student sections would still all remain Gen Admin, but sectioned (Hill, Lower, Upper) to ensure an early arriving crowd and the ability to sit among friends.

As long as you have camping for tickets, Clemson and IPTAY

Sep 25, 2017, 9:35 AM

will be getting calls from concerned parents when their pansy-ass kids complain about having to rough it for a couple of nights to get tickets that would cost them a lot of money at any other school.

Therefore, I am all for it!

Students are entitled to tickets.

Sep 25, 2017, 9:53 AM

Entitled to seats, coming and going as they choose and leaving for drinks and stinks whenever they please. They all have the participation trophies to prove it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Economics 101..

Sep 25, 2017, 10:09 AM

There is more demand than there is supply. Unless we expand the stadium to increase the number of seats the option is to increase cost, or enact a lottery. Camping for 8+hrs a week is a cost.. no different than working for $$ and paying your student ticket fees. If you had to camp 8 hrs to get a ticket on average (Auburn & FSU obviously more and KSU, GT, Citadel less) over the course of the season, you have paid a "tax" of 56 hours for the season ticket. Working 56 hours over the summer or during the school year is a much bettter economic choice. You have earned more money than the ticket would have cost, you have an asset you can sell at market price to another student who may want to attend a game you cannot or did not want to attend. It is a fallacy to think you can make a scarce resource free.

Message was edited by: Varnville Tiger®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

Re: Economics 101..

Sep 25, 2017, 10:40 AM

More demand? Auburn is the only game that has had a full student section.

Sep 25, 2017, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Economics 101.. ]

More demand? Auburn is the only game that has had a full student section.

Sep 25, 2017, 2:16 PM

Did you not hear all the sad stories about students that didn't get a ticket though?

Obviously the point here is that the tickets are too easy to come by and therefore some students who see the game more as a social function and couldn't care less about staying the whole game are getting them

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post!***

Sep 25, 2017, 10:29 AM

null

Don't you work for REI?

Sep 25, 2017, 10:31 AM

Or Cabela's, I can't remember. :)

Re: Don't you work for REI?

Sep 25, 2017, 12:24 PM

You just gave me a business idea...

if we camp off of the Blue Ridge Parkway

Sep 25, 2017, 10:38 AM

I am in

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Totally Agree

Sep 25, 2017, 12:59 PM

As a 2016 grad, I was pi$$ed about what I saw in the student section.

This stupid random lottery/waiting room BS is just that. It gives tickets to students at random and it seems like the lazy ones that dont care leave while plenty of orange blooded, loyal ones get left out. I was embarassed by how few students stuck around. I've been one of the msot vocal advocates of keeping student tickets free, but then I saw the showing at this past game and I was more than ready to shoot an email to DRad saying "you know what, forget the free ticket BS".

But, I think going back to the old, camping system is best. it keeps tickets free and ensures that the ones who want free tickets get them.

Re: Totally Agree

Sep 25, 2017, 2:11 PM

How about scan student ID's at the gate at each game and then prioritize tickets based on how many games you have previously attended? Like camping, this identifies kids who are the biggest fans.

Re: Totally Agree

Sep 25, 2017, 2:34 PM

The only problem with that is that it becomes a feedback loop. You have to get tickets in the first place to start building priority.

Re: Camping is the only way to "solve" student tickets

Sep 25, 2017, 3:28 PM

http://www.auburntigers.com/aubtix/students_new.html

this

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic