Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So 1 tutor cheating for 12 students across 3 sports
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

So 1 tutor cheating for 12 students across 3 sports

Jan 31, 2019, 1:23 PM

gets Mizzou hammered by the NCAA, but 2 decades of fake classes involving hundreds of student athletes and an entire corrupt department goes completely unpunished at UNC?

What's the incentive to cooperate with the NCAA again?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It helps when the AD who oversaw the cheating in it's

Jan 31, 2019, 1:27 PM

infancy one day rises to Conference Commissioner so he can run interference during the "investigation"

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So 1 tutor cheating for 12 students across 3 sports

Jan 31, 2019, 1:28 PM

They'll never disclose how much hush money got transferred ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Yeah, i hope it cost UNC at least 8 figures in legal fees

Jan 31, 2019, 1:30 PM

and bribes to walk away from that scandal. Whatever the cost, I'm sure it was still worth it.

I wondered who else would see the hypocricy in this

Jan 31, 2019, 1:30 PM

penalty compared to UNC ruling! What a load of garbage! Guess Missouri should have lawyered up like the cheating Tar Heels!

Message was edited by: Orange®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wondered who else would see the hypocricy in this

Jan 31, 2019, 1:32 PM

Apparently lawyering up is the way to go ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

"toothless organization" has been throw around more than

Jan 31, 2019, 1:35 PM

once

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2019, 1:39 PM

Hate to think how massive that tutor's workload was with twelve mental midgets to service.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Where UNC found their loophole and where Mizzou screwed

Jan 31, 2019, 1:44 PM

up is that the fake classes at UNC were available to any student, not just athletes. At Mizzou, the tutor seemingly only provided improper benefits to athletes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Where UNC found their loophole and where Mizzou screwed

Jan 31, 2019, 1:49 PM

UNC has a bevy of lawyers that the NCAA cannot overcome. UNC can basically do anything they want and get away with it. That is also why SEC schools in the past have gotten away from NCAA sanctions with nothing more than a wrist slap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mizzou has a law school, so I am guessing they have

Jan 31, 2019, 5:35 PM

access to a bevy of lawyers too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

They also have one of the best Journalism schools in the

Jan 31, 2019, 6:43 PM

Country, you would think they would have been able to spin out of this one way or the other...I would have openly lobbied for the Carolina treatment or it would be bean spilling time

Re: Where UNC found their loophole and where Mizzou screwed

Jan 31, 2019, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Where UNC found their loophole and where Mizzou screwed ]

GWPTiger is correct and sums it very well. A tutor doing the work is "Academic Fraud". That is an NCAA violation. Bogus classes (approved by the administration) and open to all is not an NCAA violation. Carolina (the real one) was charged with an "Extra Benefits" charge. Jay Bilas, an attorney on Finebaum show said NCAA thought that Carolina would cave and accept the charge. They didn't, and spent a gazillion dollars to fight it. NCAA didn't have enough lawyers to fight their weak charge.
Is it garbage that they got out of it? Absolutely.

Re: 'apparent' hypocrisy

Jan 31, 2019, 6:18 PM

CoI actually addressed this 'apparent hypocrisy' in their ruling. They specified as you said.

Even though at UNC, a secretary designed and administered the fraudulent (as in not up to standard) course work, the students actually performed the (fraudulent) work. No one else did it for them, voluntarily or compulsorily, which is what happened at Mizzou. Tutor says she felt compelled to do the work in the name of the athletes, Mizzou says it was all on her own.

NCAA is explaining why they feel like they still have teeth in their head.

Their biggest mistake was cooperating at all***

Jan 31, 2019, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Where UNC found their loophole and where Mizzou screwed ]

Jan 31, 2019, 1:57 PM

Missouri is the sacrificial lamb for the SECheat. That used to be USuC but now Missouri has been handed this title. As long as the NCAA hammers one program in the SECheat the rest are able to get away with anything they desire. This will not be the last time Missouri gets hammered. It will continue to happen until someone new comes into the SECheat that is not that great in sports.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2019, 3:42 PM

Ole Miss was the last one

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2019, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: So 1 tutor cheating for 12 students across 3 sports ]

I worked as a tutor for student athletes at an sec school. I can tell you that some sec schools do take this particular violation very very seriously. Also, it gave me a new perspective on just how regimented time is for athlete's. They literally get the best of the best in terms of support for academics.

For a tutor to being willing to do this is just stupid. Why risk getting kicked out of school?

Now I'd be curious to know how much the people above the tutor knew. If they were involved then mizzo is ######.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2019, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: So 1 tutor cheating for 12 students across 3 sports ]

The biggest mistake Missouri ever made was jumping ship from the Big 12. They could compete there in all sports and live mostly under the NCAA radar.

The difference is UNC spent over 31 million dollars

Jan 31, 2019, 2:40 PM

On legal fees defending its self against the NCAA. UNC decided to fight and didn’t care what it cost to defend its academic integrity against the NCAA knowing all along they were guilty of the allegations. Justice in this country may be blind but it’s not dinner and it will listen to anyone with money and power and UNC Chapel Hill has lots and lots of both.

NCAA is just like other bureaucracies in this country. It's

Jan 31, 2019, 3:14 PM

there to protect certain protected groups/companies while punishing others.

https://www.vapes.com/blogs/news/former-fda-commissioner-questions-integrity-of-fda-big-pharma

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhendrickson/2013/03/14/the-epa-the-worst-of-many-rogue-federal-agencies/

https://www.latimes.com/nation/atf-fast-furious-sg-storygallery.html

etc...

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic