Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where I think our D certainly failed was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Where I think our D certainly failed was

Sep 2, 2014, 3:24 PM

failure to pressure the QB in any meaningful way. While you can try to blame the second half collapse on the failure of our offense to give the defense a break, the fact is we put very little pressure on their QB the entire game.

He was their greatest weakness and we failed to capitalize. We are going to be facing a LOT of new QBs this year. Need to find a way to rattle them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where I think our D certainly failed was

Sep 2, 2014, 3:28 PM

Where was #3 anyway? He looked as bad as Clowney in their opener last year - big head and out of shape.

Re: Where I think our D certainly failed was

Sep 2, 2014, 3:49 PM

Vic had 5 tackles (2 solo, 3 assists) and a sack. Not bad numbers considering UGA relied mostly on quick throws. The last thing I can see Vic being is having a big head and being out of shape.

what i saw was a lot of over pursuit our guys ran past the

Sep 2, 2014, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Where I think our D certainly failed was ]

the play and gurley was gone.
our defense has a knack of making some players heisman material

Watch it again. Bobo was protecting the QB and they got the

Sep 2, 2014, 3:29 PM

ball out quickly. He didn't test our secondary at all after the two PI calls right before the (non) fumble.

Both of those passes should/could have been picks, they were underthrown.

Mason was decisive with the ball, even though not very effective.

Take Gurley off that team and we win. He's a one-man wrecking machine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watch it again. Bobo was protecting the QB and they got the

Sep 2, 2014, 3:32 PM

So sell out to the run and force the kid to throw. I bet some other team will figure a way. If not, they will become the first national champion in a long time with a below average QB.

Have you not watched a single game under Saban at Bama?

Sep 2, 2014, 3:35 PM

We played a ton of man coverage because with our corners, we could get away with it. Crawford's absence hurt our ability to set the age and let's face it, we were at a major disadvantage after the lopsided 3rd quarter. Any secondary is going to have a difficult time taking Gurley down on those outside runs. He has to be gang-tackled, period.

Here's what I saw

Sep 2, 2014, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Watch it again. Bobo was protecting the QB and they got the ]

We sold out to stop the run, and it worked for much of the game, until we simply ran out of gas and their stable of backs made us look silly.

Hats off to em.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

irrelevant- we wanted them to throw the ball, but they didnt

Sep 2, 2014, 3:31 PM

and didn't have to. we sold out on the run and did a pretty good job for 3 qtrs. The Defense gave up 17 points heading into the 4th qtr. Even the Seahawks' defense would have trouble if their Offense gained 1 first down all 2nd half- and they are not a HUNH team

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Not to be mean, but

Sep 2, 2014, 3:31 PM

If you couldn't tell that they had game planned exclusively to counter our pash rush, then I don't think you understand the game. Quick routes, lots of drop-offs to RB's, three-step drops. Without Gurley and especially without being 4-deep in the RB position, we would have garnered a few sacks since they would need to rely on QB play.

Luckily for us, we won't be playing another team with close to the RB talent we just faced. I'm not worried one bit about our defense or pass-rush. Our offense, however, needs to be much more consistent.

Re: Not to be mean, but

Sep 2, 2014, 3:33 PM

So how would you stop them?

By no means am I coach material

Sep 2, 2014, 3:39 PM

But I don't think it really mattered after our offensive showing in the entire second half. Our defense was on the field almost the entire second half, and actually held Georgia without any points for several consecutive drives despite Georgia offense starting at about midfield every drive.

Give credit. Richt knew what he was doing. He saved Gurley for the second half, something he can get away with given their depth. We stood no chance with our tired defense and outside pitches to Gurley.

The only way to win is to play defense with our offense by sustaining drives and keeping Gurley and company on the sideline. We did that to near-perfection in the first half. Second half, we failed miserably.

you can't ignore all the holding flags that weren't thrown!

Sep 2, 2014, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Not to be mean, but ]

makes a big difference. they were ripping off our helmets & not getting penalized & RIGHT IN THE OFFICIALS FACE...

Really? Every pass play was designed to be quick...

Sep 2, 2014, 3:37 PM

they had no intention of trying to pass block. Their game plan was to use quick plays.

I don't see how you can ask for more pressure on the QB

Sep 2, 2014, 3:41 PM

when all they ran were quick passes and a variation of running plays. Their offense was designed to completely avoid Mason having to deal with our line. Doesn't mean our line stinks. It was a good plan, and we couldn't stop Gurley. I don't remember them going deep at all. Maybe one time?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

They tried to go deep on those two PI plays

Sep 2, 2014, 3:44 PM

One was under thrown and the other was overthrown. After that they didn't try, and the few times they did he wound up throwing it away to avoid the pressure. Our DTs got in his face quite a few times and Beasley was a second away from a sack one of the times Mason threw it away.

That's a good point, I forgot those penalties.

Sep 2, 2014, 3:45 PM

You are also right about the pressure. When UGA did actually call a pass play that took more than 2 seconds to develop, we did get in his face several times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

They smartly kept away from our DTs

Sep 2, 2014, 4:07 PM

They learned quickly they wouldn't be able to move Jarrett and thus didn't run at them nor tried to throw long balls.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic