Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pairings, Game Times Set For 2010 ACC Baseball Championship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

May 23, 2010, 3:09 PM

Clemson will play the final game of Wednesday night against No. 7 NC State. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone know what TV stations will be carrying these games?***

May 23, 2010, 4:06 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same as Saturday. FS South.***

May 23, 2010, 4:27 PM

thanks***

May 23, 2010, 4:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seeding makes no sense to me. Worst team gets best schedule?

May 23, 2010, 6:23 PM

I'm pretty ignorant about baseball so could somebody please explain the logic behind the schedule? Typically, in tournaments for other sports you try to give the top seeds the best shot at getting to the championship game. But I'd argue that in this tournament, the worst team (8th-seed BC) has the most favorable schedule for winning the championship. And I'd argue that 5th-seed FSU and 7th-seed NCSU have the next most favorable tournament schedules. I'd argue that Clemson has a relatively unfavorable schedule.

For example, BC after a long post-regular-season rest, gets to put their best pitcher against the best team, 1st-seed UVA, on Wednesday. Then BC plays the 2nd best team in their bracket, Miami, the following day with their 2nd best pitcher. Then, when BC is tired after two tough days, BC plays the worst opponent in their bracket (with their 3rd best pitcher). Perfect. And then, if they win their bracket, BC gets a day to rest before the championship game on Sunday... at which time they can play their top pitcher(s).

On the other hand, 2nd-seed Clemson plays the worst team in the bracket (7th-seed NCSU) on the first day of the tournament after a long break. (Arguably a long break isn't as helpful in beating the worst team in your bracket as it is in beating the best team in your bracket.) Then Clemson gets a day off before playing the second worst team in the bracket (6th-seed VT). (Again arguably, the break isn't very helpful in beating one of the weaker teams.) Then Clemson plays the toughest opponent in their bracket (3rd-seed GT) after no rest. And then if Clemson wins the bracket, they'd have no rest before playing in the championship game.

I could also make similar cases that 5th-seed FSU, and 7th-seed NCSU have more favorable schedules than some higher seeds.

Am I wrong? If so, would somebody please explain?

Re: Seeding makes no sense to me. Worst team gets best sched

May 23, 2010, 7:08 PM

Because Swofford wants to draw as much attendance as possible, NCSU gets to play at 8:00 pm on their two week days. This is why the schedule wasn't released until late Sunday.

ncstate people won't travel "all the way to G'boro"***

May 23, 2010, 7:33 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds pretty fair to me...

May 23, 2010, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Seeding makes no sense to me. Worst team gets best schedule? ]

BC puts its best pitcher against Virginia's best pitcher and so forth. Then if they manage to win their division, after playing three straight days, they can pitch their best pitcher for the title, even on only 4 days rest. I think Clemson got a GREAT draw, 8:00 on Wednesday and 4:00 Friday and Saturday. Also get the two "worst" teams out of the way before facing Georgia Tech, when hopefully Clemson is 2-0. Might could even pitch Harman again on Saturday against GT.

Well you can put Virginia in the Championship game since

May 23, 2010, 6:25 PM

they have the easy Pool. We get stuck with Georgia Tech. I like our luck with Miami than GT.

well, they earned it***

May 23, 2010, 9:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When did "White Meat" establish themselves as a baseball

May 24, 2010, 9:58 AM

power? It seems like UVA doesn't have much history with being any type of player in the ACC. It's interesting to see for sure. Not a bash, just wondering when/how they made this move since I don't keep up with them.

When they got a bunch of money...

May 24, 2010, 11:43 AM

from John Grisham (the author) and Ryan Zimmerman, who now plays for the Nationals. That allowed them to do loads of work on their stadium, which allowed them to recruit top notch talent. They have some of the best facilities, especially for the players, in the ACC. Clemson's player facilities are about 4th in the conference behind Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida State. In fact, they may be further down than that.

Re: When they got a bunch of money...

May 24, 2010, 2:25 PM

Thanks. I was wondering. I had a friend that played there in early 2000. He was a solid starter but they weren't doing all that well. UVA certainly has a nice campus and some excellent facilities. I have often wondered why they haven't made much noise in the ACC recently.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic