Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When reality smacks right up to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

When reality smacks right up to

Jun 25, 2020, 8:19 AM

liberal ideas and plans, it is all good until the problem moves in .

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minneapolis-neighborhood-vowed-check-privilege-185351026.html
https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/em3myBqgHWh6u.GAzNVxZg--~B/aD0yOTY5O3c9NDQ4MDtzbT0xO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/en/the_new_york_times_articles_158/91644f3a326de9ed26ea96dc3cc8a0fe">

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ever wonder how these stories come about?

Jun 25, 2020, 8:28 AM

Do the subjects contact the news or is this investigative journalism?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ever wonder how these stories come about?

Jun 25, 2020, 8:34 AM

It is something to ponder I reckon, this case the old liberal white lady most likely contacted them. It lets her do something about the problem without the guilt is my bet. White guilt is a turrible thing to bear I guess because it requires one to leave all rational thought and common sense at the door.

I’m glad I don’t feel guilty***

Jun 25, 2020, 8:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know darn well one of the people in the story couldnt

Jun 25, 2020, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Ever wonder how these stories come about? ]

Take it anymore and called the press, but asked to not be listed as the fink.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like they have a homeless problem.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:36 AM

Aren't there solutions to this besides law enforcement? This is really just detailing a need for reallocating resources.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point. I’ve found that

Jun 25, 2020, 8:40 AM

Getting a PA system and blasting “Tub-thumping” by Chumbawamba on repeat, while firing 5-10 shotgun shells into the air really clears out any homeless-infested park.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good point. I’ve found that

Jun 25, 2020, 8:45 AM

Porta-potty trucks set to pump out with a decent nozzle would work to I suppose.

And now that chorus is stuck in my head for the rest

Jun 25, 2020, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Good point. I’ve found that ]

of the day, thank you very much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Just get it out of your head by this evening,

Jun 25, 2020, 8:52 AM

Or you’ll be pissssing the night awayyyyy

Hadn't thought about that song in like a decade.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:53 AM

Damn you sir.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Ironically, you're singing a song

Jun 25, 2020, 9:08 AM

that reminds you of the good times.

null

at the Copa. Copa Cabana...***

Jun 25, 2020, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Just get it out of your head by this evening, ]

Re: Good point. I’ve found that

Jun 25, 2020, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Good point. I’ve found that ]

I myself have not tried that, but now I feel I have to.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Re: Sounds like they have a homeless problem.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Sounds like they have a homeless problem. ]

What about the guy at the end who got a gun stuck in his face for his car keys by a couple 15 year olds- You wanna send school counselor?

That is absolutely a job for the police.***

Jun 25, 2020, 8:47 AM

So “no” on the hyperbolic school counselor?***

Jun 25, 2020, 8:49 AM

but the left (and that neighborhood) don't want any police***

Jun 25, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to That is absolutely a job for the police.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Sounds like they have a homeless problem. ]

Agree, someone needs to help them relocate back downtown.

Maybe the housing-privilegded protesters should been more woke about how they were going to disenfranchise these homeless people causing them to move from their previous location.

I think this neighborhood is missing a great opportunity to go protest the protesters and get these homeless back downtown so they can point guns at the city folk instead of those in the gentrified areas.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Sounds like they have a homeless problem. ]

reallocating resources sounds like theft

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's possibly the dumbest way to interpret it.***

Jun 25, 2020, 8:55 AM

Need to arrest Trump for theft for those $1200 checks***

Jun 25, 2020, 8:59 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's possibly the dumbest way to interpret it.***

Jun 25, 2020, 9:34 AM [ in reply to That's possibly the dumbest way to interpret it.*** ]

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/10/how-much-would-it-cost-to-house-the-bay-areas-homeless-try-12-7-billion/

Loved the $450K per unit, you wanna fund that ?

One solution might be to get out of California***

Jun 25, 2020, 9:38 AM

TX, CO, and AZ say “SHHHHHHHHHH!”***

Jun 25, 2020, 9:42 AM

The Bay Area specifically.***

Jun 25, 2020, 9:56 AM [ in reply to One solution might be to get out of California*** ]

I'm not really sure what you're suggesting.***

Jun 25, 2020, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: That's possibly the dumbest way to interpret it.*** ]

Re: I'm not really sure what you're suggesting.***

Jun 25, 2020, 10:38 AM

If’n you cannot afford to live there it’s time to leave , pretty simple

Jun 25, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Sounds like they have a homeless problem. ]

"Aren't there solutions to this besides law enforcement? "

name some

Ok.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:29 AM

https://www.usich.gov/solutions/

Not arguing, just discussing....

Jun 25, 2020, 11:21 AM

I spend several hours weekly in a local homeless recovery program, working directly with the homeless people who are there. Its not a big deal, I'm a minor player in that facility; I'm saying I see it face to face every week. As I looked at the highlighted solutions in the article, I could check off every one of those as 'available' to the men in the program, beginning with #1: The program is a 180 day stay of a bed and meals, with daily addiction and life skill classes. Medical care is not like having a gold plated insurance plan, but it is available. Until we shut down the economy over covid, there were 10 jobs for every person in the program.

Nevertheless, the percentage of men in the program who become independent is not high. The men in the program will tell you - they freely admit - that the factors that led to their homelessness did not include lack of availability of any of the solutions in the article. Simply providing those leads nowhere. The issue is internal, and the path to independence is a very difficult change of personal goals, habits, associates and self identity. The slogan of the program - developed by the residents, not the staff - is "If you want to change your circumstances you will be right back here. If you want to change you, your circumstances will change."

However, when the subject is political solutions to this problem, that sort of talk is very unpopular. To blame lack of resources allows everyone to place blame with someone else: someone else should vote differently, pay more tax, develop a different mindset, etc and etc. To look at the problem squarely means that actual people have to go where the homeless are, and make friends with them, and spend time with them, and be uncompromising with them when necessary (which is often). Those are the hard things people won't do. So we pat ourselves on the back by concluding that 'someone' has to provide more of something. Almost no national politician can call a homeless person by name right now, but they'll tell us 40 things someone else should do to fix the problem. Some of them get plaques for saying it enough times.

Finally, the article makes the most dishonest statement one can make. Regarding the homeless tent village in the part, the article said...."Some are addicted or mentally ill." No, no, a thousand times no. 90% of them are addicted or mentally ill, and no one can tell which caused which. Any discussing of "solutions" to homelessness has to start there. Buzzwords like "availability", "access", "affordable housing" and "healthcare", wonderful as all those are, do not exist in the same arena as what put a person in a tent village.

Sadly, this is mostly a political issue. No one really cares about the homeless: they care about the politics of it. What people actually do is what they care about, and what people do is sit on committees and write papers and become "activists". The "activists" in that neighborhood are, according to the article, doing nothing except patting themselves on the back for not calling the police when something goes wrong. Every middle class person who drives his/her SUV to the homeless shelter to work directly with a homeless person, even if only an hour or two a week, is doing infinitely more than that aging hippy with her fake misplaced guilt. Her whining about it to an interviewer didn't help one homeless person get sober and independent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoa. I think that deserves its own thread.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:49 PM

As it pertains to the article, this homeless camp is a new development in the neighborhood, so I'd look at the circumstances that led to it in order to begin looking for a solution. If those folks were to simply call the cops and get them to clear out the area, it probably wouldn't end well.

As far as causes of and solutions to homelessness in general, I would defer to people who dedicate themselves to tackling this specific issue. With my limited knowledge of the subject I think it's clear that treating homelessness as problem that can only be solved by law enforcement is profoundly myopic.

Message was edited by: Murcielago®

Correct. I agree. And I did not see in that article, or in

Jun 25, 2020, 3:52 PM

my comment, the proposal that the police have any role at all in addressing homelessness. But as a separate subject, the police have very much to do with illegal - harmful to self and others - activity, whether the person is homeless or not. Whatever would cause me to get arrested should cause a homeless person to get arrested. Any other response does the homeless person no good at all.

In the article one guy was patting himself on the back for deciding that the next time a homeless person wants to steal his car he'll either give it to him or talk him out of it - anything but call 911. Wonderful. So the guy jumps in his car, and with no insurance hits someone else. Or gets involved in a drug deal across town and 2 people get shot. Or he runs down the street to steal another car because our shining knight talked him out of his, and he ends up shooting that guy. How does our Galahad tell the wife and kids of the dead guy how virtuous he was for not calling 911?

Compassion and legality are not exclusive terms. Compassion and license are not synonymous. Life in the dormitory at the homeless shelter: a guy, who has been arrested many times, takes a dollar from the backpack of another guy, who has been arrested many time. They both know all about arrests and compassion, warranted and not. Person B will kick Person A's ###. They don't expect to be 'let go' because they come from a hard place. All they want is fair, something they have rarely seen.

Re: Ok.

Jun 25, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Ok. ]

we already have those in place and still have homeless

what else you got?

Re: Ok.

Jun 25, 2020, 1:43 PM

i have a niece considered homeless

she didnt have a driver's license, so i bought a good used car (acura TSX by the way and it would fly lol), gave her driving lessons, got her permit, hired a driving school to help her get her license, bam got the driver's license!

i told her that IF she gets a full time job, i would give her the car and let her stay rent free in one of my properties, she would have to pay for her car maintenance, gas, utilities, no drugs, no overnight or long term "guests"

no dice, she absolutely will not work

many folks do not want to help themselves

Re: When reality smacks right up to

Jun 25, 2020, 8:55 AM

“After years of watching scores of police killings on the news”. The false narrative just keeps on keeping on.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Oh my goodness this article had one thing after

Jun 25, 2020, 9:16 AM

another. These people are ridiculous. Don't call the cops on a armed car theft? Don't buy a house because a person of color might want to buy it. And the one that said that she used to feel pride in the community improvements but now thinks that was gentrification. One thing after another that was just ridiculous. These people have an absolute delusion.

I kept copying different paragraphs thinking this was the most ridiculous thing, and then something else would come along. But you're right...this:

"The video of Floyd’s death and the outcry over racial injustice that came after has awakened many white Americans to a reality that people of color have known their whole lives: The scores of police killings they have seen in the news in recent years were not one-off incidents but part of a systemic problem of the dehumanization of Black people by the police."

False, but written casually as if there's no problem just saying that.

null

The really, really frustrating part for me....

Jun 25, 2020, 9:24 AM

Is it’s a little more complicated than both extremes want to accept. Until we can come to that understanding, we will continue to shout at each other over the valley from the two hills that separate us.

What is the other extreme? Locking every homeless person

Jun 25, 2020, 9:30 AM

in prison?

I think most people would agree that homelessness is a complicated issue driven significantly from mental illness and substance abuse. I think most would agree that creative solutions are called for. But solutions, none the less. These people have chosen to ruin their community because they feel guilty about the color of their skin. Morons.

null

Re: What is the other extreme? Locking every homeless person

Jun 25, 2020, 9:36 AM

Here it is in a nut shell

Lots of extremes...

Jun 25, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to What is the other extreme? Locking every homeless person ]

I’m thinking specifically here all injustice is race-driven vs. there is no problem

White people flogging themselves vs. white people with their heads in the sand

But "white people"...ugh...this is gross...

Jun 25, 2020, 10:08 AM

"People" did things to support people with less for decades.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-us-is-the-most-generous-country-but-americans-say-debt-is-keeping-them-from-giving-more-to-charity-2019-10-18

https://www.fastcompany.com/90417884/america-remains-the-most-generous-place-in-the-world-but-barely

Literally the most giving country in the world. And the left says "that's not enough. It's not enough that we're the most giving country in the world...you have to bend a knee and check your priviledge and recognize generational sin (thanks North Korea!)...and basically feel awful about yourself and do what we say."

null

I hear ya....

Jun 25, 2020, 10:26 AM

And I’m not arguing that point.

However, I have a hard time understanding how affirming that “black lives matter (lower case)” somehow means I support the agenda of BLM, or somehow makes me surrender some portion of my “whiteness.”

I am not threatened by those words because I believe black people, their thoughts and feeling, are as valuable to God as my own.

Again, I consider that a bit of a strawman...

Jun 25, 2020, 10:50 AM

I would guess that every white American that is not a white supremacist (and I would argue that is 99.9% of white Americans) would agree that black lives matter. Responding that "all lives matter" should not be a threat to those saying "black lives matter" based on what you just said.

If someone asks me if black lives matter I will say yes. If instead of saying yes I said of course, all lives matter...the person asking should respond with "now that we are all in agreement." If they don't, that's on them. I have materially agreed with the statement, and if they object to my modification, what they are really saying is that black lives are more important than other lives.

Of course, the bigger issue is the (in my opinion, intentional) convolution of black lives matter with Black Lives Matter. To be asked about support for "black lives matter", to me, requires clarification. One is a statement of the value of the lives of people categorized as "black" and is easily agreed with...the other is support for an organization that claims that law enforcement officers are killing black people because they are part of an inherently racist organization and that they should be defunded or eliminated...which is easily (by me) dismissed.

null

I think the interesting thing to me is that, in their minds,

Jun 25, 2020, 9:31 AM [ in reply to The really, really frustrating part for me.... ]

Their solution to others having a lower standard of living is to bring their own standard of living down.

It’s absolutely ridiculous...

Jun 25, 2020, 9:37 AM

People have lost their minds....

Re: I think the interesting thing to me is that, in their minds,

Jun 25, 2020, 9:37 AM [ in reply to I think the interesting thing to me is that, in their minds, ]

That is the core of the DEM platform if you really want to get down to brass tacks.

I think selling drugs is illegal.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:10 AM

I wonder if there isn't some deep seated racism in the people of that community.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When reality smacks right up to

Jun 25, 2020, 11:52 AM

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic