Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jack Leggett
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Jack Leggett

May 6, 2016, 10:46 PM

Jack hung with/in the booth with the announcers tonight, and he talked a good bit about his time at Clemson. Not in his actual words, but it's obvious that Jack was crushed when he was fired from his job. His feelings about it all are still bloody raw, and his character kept him from bleeding through to his pain, and he was still being a class act. I just hope that one day soon he can heal from his hurt. Jack was good for the program for a long time but it had come time for a change. I still care a lot for you Jack, but Clemson will always come first for me, and the health of our programs are very important. Bc of Clemson, are the reason for all the programs. I personally enjoyed listening to Jack in the booth, he has ton of baseball knowledge that I believe that our fans would love hearing him talk about, and I hope that he comes back a lot. And I would love to see Jack and Montee become good friends....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jack Leggett deserves our respect, thanks for your kind

May 6, 2016, 10:55 PM

words. After all, he recruited Beer and Okey among others. Where would we be without them?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree!

May 7, 2016, 12:13 AM

Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jack Leggett deserves our respect, thanks for your kind

May 7, 2016, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Jack Leggett deserves our respect, thanks for your kind ]

Hush jack

Interesting, isn't "cougar" an old feminist? No disrepect

May 7, 2016, 7:45 AM

meant lmoa!

he's been almost every home game this season

May 6, 2016, 10:59 PM

missed maybe 5 games all year. Sits on the 2nd row by the home dugout, chats at length with Monte before every game. Even was at several practices before the season, talked with him myself. Was at the baseball reunion last week with all the former players.

Pretty obvious that he and Monte are on very good terms.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad they are on good terms, because it seems

May 6, 2016, 11:16 PM

that Leggett being at the games would be awkward for them both.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: he's been almost every home game this season

May 7, 2016, 1:01 AM [ in reply to he's been almost every home game this season ]

I'm glad to hear. I just wanted him replace as baseball HC, not banned!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jack Leggett

May 6, 2016, 11:37 PM

There's no doubt the man loves Clemson and those young men. He's a tiger and will always be. He was a great coach and a good man but his time had come to step aside. I'm glad he still attends games, it shows his love for the Tigers.

May 7, 2016, 12:02 AM

I understand he wants to stick around the game because he has been doing it for years, but it seems to me that he doesn't understand that he was fired. He didn't leave on his terms, we did not want him anymore. I obviously don't know the situation, but I find it hard to believe Coach Lee is crazy about Leggett being at every game, looking over his shoulder. Seems to be an awkward situation to me, like Leggett can't take a hint, but then again his stubbornness was a part of the reason he was fired.

It says a lot about what a good humble considerate man Lee

May 7, 2016, 7:36 AM

is and I am proud of his being able to listen to Jack. It is obvious Jack has a lot of knowledge, and Lee is sensitive enough to hear him out!

When my dad was hired and we moved to Charleston...

May 7, 2016, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Jack Leggett ]

...the long-time supervisor he replaced had been "put out to pasture" after decades of service. The older fellow effectively brought the office into the 20th century and was well-liked, but times and technology had changed.

After about a month, the older fellow began "dropping by" on a near-daily schedule, hanging around for a hour or two. Folks would chat with him, and he didn't second-guess or interrupt. Just "dropped in to say hello."

My dad had the option of (a) ignoring the old boss (b) telling him to get lost or (c) engaging him. Dad opted for C. They had a long lunch and my Dad picked his brain. The way Daddy told it, the old boss was adrift. He had put his life into the business and literally had nothing else to do. Also, since he had built the business, he wanted to make sure it was in good hands.

Dad told him that he was welcome to drop by any time and that he'd be sure to ask the old boss for help if something came up he couldn't handle. That, it seems was good enough for the old boss. He'd drop by less and less, the last time to say he was moving to be closer to his kids in Maryland.

When you commit your years and energy to a job, it becomes a calling. When your calling is yanked away, even under the best circumstances, it takes a while to heal.

Coach Lee finds himself in my dad's shoes, the young boss with a ghost hovering. A strong man engages the ghost, rather than fearing or resenting it.

Jack's legacy is on the field, and I respect his wanting to make sure it is well-tended. Coach Lee will do an excellent job of growing the business, and I hope that Jack will always be welcome.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When my dad was hired and we moved to Charleston...

May 7, 2016, 8:25 AM

I agree 100%! This man gave his life to Clemson and he deserves the respect! It is more than just about baseball...the impact he has had on the players and families will never be understood by the every day fan that views it as nothing but baseball. Jack great to see you at the park and you are welcome in the house you helped to build anytime!

May 7, 2016, 8:39 AM

> I agree 100%! This man gave his life to Clemson and
> he deserves the respect! It is more than just about
> baseball...the impact he has had on the players and
> families will never be understood by the every day
> fan that views it as nothing but baseball. Jack great
> to see you at the park and you are welcome in the
> house you helped to build anytime!

By giving his life to Clemson you mean he worked at Clemson for a number of years and was highly compensated for his effort?

If he was really as classy as many claim he would see his constant presence is creepy and find somewhere else to make an impact.

The inability to move on is unhealthy so he would be well served to seek help.

thanks Rev. Dodd for articulating a lot of life-wisdom we

May 7, 2016, 8:48 AM [ in reply to When my dad was hired and we moved to Charleston... ]

are learning from the relationship of Monte and Jack!

May 7, 2016, 9:49 AM [ in reply to When my dad was hired and we moved to Charleston... ]

Me to Rev, I could actually feel his pain yesterday, and it made me dearly regret anything that I said when we were wanting him to just step down. After hearing him yesterday, I know that Jack couldn't have ever walked away on his own. It wasn't what he said, it was the restrain he had bc of the respect and love he has for Clemson, it takes a better man not to lash out when his heart is in pain. And I can't hold that against him, he loved Clemson as much and more than some, and he wouldn't have ever given up. I respect that, I'm just a fan that won't have to ever face the same pain that Jack Leggett did of being forced out. People that can't try and understand where Jack's heart was and still is, they don't have any compassion for their fellow man. Jack now has my deepest respect....

May 7, 2016, 12:41 AM

Coach Leggett is at the games because he loves those young men and he's committed to them. He drove 100 miles each way a couple of weeks ago to support/encourage Matthew Crownover. He took time to visit and connect with Matthew's coaches and family. He's good man and was the perfect coach for Matthew.

Jack loves Clemson

May 7, 2016, 5:18 AM

Can you blame him

May 7, 2016, 7:48 AM

In my experience, when you are fired from a job and keep coming back they call the cops. Frankly his presence is disrespectful to Coach Lee and more than a little bit creepy. It is obvious that JL has not moved on which is unfortunate. While I wish JL the best wishing he would do it somewhere else.

May 7, 2016, 8:00 AM

I really don't understand how anyone can talk bad about the man after listening to him last night. The guy is truly heart broken over the separation. He explained how it is a deep cut in him and how he's hoping to have it healed one day. You have to realize that Clemson baseball was his baby for a quarter century. He also explained all the relationships he has built over those 25 years, not just the players but the faculty, umpires, opposing coaches, and fans. He truly loves Clemson baseball, that's why he's at the games. There's not a thing wrong with that.

Well said, thanks Lex, Lee and Leggett!***

May 7, 2016, 8:51 AM

May 8, 2016, 6:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Jack Leggett ]

Because they are all haters. Always have been and always will. The guy has every right to be at the game just like we do. They will do the same with Dabo. I understand Jack was stubborn, but some people want to define him when Clemson had rough years. He is a hall of fame coach and Clemson fans should feel very thankful that he was able to do what he did for Clemson.

May 8, 2016, 8:38 AM

Exactly Hawk, but the younger generation for the most of them would rather throw things and people away when it's, or they, are no more use to them. And they will just be hateful and care less as they can be not thinking that other people could use it, or that other people love that someone. I'm proud that I done a better job of raising my two daughters better than that, bc both of them are very different than one another, but they both are very caring and giving of them selves to other people, and giving of the things they no longer need anymore. There are things that they do that I don't care for just like I was with my mom, but being hateful and none caring people isn't one of them.

May 7, 2016, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Jack Leggett ]

good lord

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

He did an excellent job in the announcing booth!!

May 7, 2016, 8:55 AM

He was much better than many that we've had there.

Let him be the analysis announcer, please - but only if Coach Lee agrees.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: He did an excellent job in the announcing booth!!

May 7, 2016, 9:14 AM

Excuse me have you people lost your minds? That was a tragic display of I need a job and I was great for Clemson can't believe they didn't let me die on this field, at least bury me in the outfield... But if you have a job offer let me know!!! Meanwhile Lee and the team are playing their hearts out and we're watching Jack in the booth??

Re: He did an excellent job in the announcing booth!!

May 7, 2016, 12:53 PM

No!

I'm sorry you have a bad opinion of a Hall of Fame coach.

I said clear him with Coach Lee before hiring.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 7, 2016, 9:57 AM

"...his character kept him from bleeding through to his pain." " Bc of Clemson, are the reason for all the programs."And I would love to see Jack and Montee become good friends."

May 7, 2016, 10:46 AM

Interesting that Leggett was quick to say that those were his players playing last night. The same players that he had about a .500 record with, Monte is 30-15 at the moment

May 7, 2016, 12:53 PM

Got that right!

May 7, 2016, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Jack Leggett ]

Those were Clemson's players playing last night. They play for Clemson and some came because of Clemson and it's program and some because of the coaches, including Jack.

May 7, 2016, 2:16 PM

I wanted Jack gone and think Coach Lee will move this team past anything Jack did.
At first seeing JL at the games this season I didn't like it.
After hearing him talk last night , I have no problem with it.
Jack is a class act.
Go Tigers let's win this series today.

May 8, 2016, 7:02 AM

He's a great coach and a good person, wish the best for him!

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic