Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When Dan Brooks retired and Marion Hobby left, I was ..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

When Dan Brooks retired and Marion Hobby left, I was ..

Oct 2, 2017, 7:28 PM

worried about how it would affect our D-line as I am sure many of you also were. How is it that it looks like we haven't missed a beat and have maybe the best D-line ever? Does the new coach deserve a lot of credit for this or is he just benefitting from the enormous talent he was left with. I say it's a little of both. If we continue to recruit and develop this level of talent,however he will have to be given a lot more credit (and probably a lot more $) and we will all continue to wonder how Dabo seems to have the Midas touch when it come to staffing decisions.

Message was edited by: Furious george®

Message was edited by: Furious george®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Re: When Dan Brooks and Marion Hobby retired, I was ..

Oct 2, 2017, 7:36 PM

I was concerned about the same thing but so far I have seen nothing to worry about. In reading articles over the summer it seemed as if the players like Bates pretty well. We probably have a lot of the same people (whom we've never heard of) helping evaluate recruits. I'm thinking Dabo is probably at the same point when it comes to replacing coaches as he is he is players. The man just reloads.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2017, 7:39 PM

I hope ya'll can sleep now. Give where credit is due. Dabo knows his business and always has a list of who to call if we loose someone!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2017, 7:46 PM

Never doubted Dabo or his decision. Change that big within a program is something to watch though. Bates is a younger guy with big shoes to fill. Hobby and Brooks were top notch. He has done nicely so far and hey if Dabo likes him I like him. Dabo has done nothing but knock it out of the park with all of his coaching hires from Chad Morris on:)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When Dan Brooks retired and Marion Hobby left, I was ..

Oct 2, 2017, 7:38 PM

I wouldn't get all gooey just yet, Wilkins, Ferell, and the boys did not forget how to play over one summer, we still have to bring in new talent and coach them up. But my understanding is that we will be able to bring in a 2nd DLine coach next year to help Bates out.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2017, 7:47 PM

A lot of these players were coached by those coaches. So..... in a few years we will see how other players develop. I’ve no doubt we have excellent coaches and players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 2, 2017, 9:15 PM

I remember a story back when Bates was hired. He was working the Dabo Swinney Football Camp during the summer. Coach Brooks went up to Swinney and said, “I’ll tell you one thing, whoever that kid is over there, he is one of the best coaches out here.” Two years later, Dabo hired him (Bates) to replace Coach Brooks and Coach Hobby. He was no doubt the right fit at the right time. Bates will continue to learn from the best in Venables and only get better. I feel our D Line is in good hands...especially If Dabo and Coach Brooks do.

Oct 3, 2017, 2:42 AM

I think one of Dabo's problems in the beginning was not knowing who to call. He was not expecting the job that was thrust on him. Knowing how hard he works, I can only imaging the film he must have watched of teams we might never play, the schmoozing and networking he must have done to build his list.

Now, how many assistant coaches out there would love to get a call from Dabo? He has his pick and it's been quite a while now since he made a bad one.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic