Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's your take on panhandling? Charleston passed a law
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

What's your take on panhandling? Charleston passed a law

Sep 24, 2015, 2:43 PM

They just passed a law in Charleston making it illegal to pass items from vehicle to pedestrian.

I have no problem with that, because most of those panhandlers are just lazy, good-for-nothing swindlers who smell bad and lower property values.

BUT....Does that mean that police offers are allowed to harrass every day citizens and act as revenue collectors for the state under the guise of public safety? Is it now unlawful for me to pass an officer my driver's license?

Certainly it's just as dangerous for a police officer to pass something to or collect something from a vehicle as it is a pedestrian, unless there is some sort of special training that officers are required to take that enables them to dodge out-of-control vehicles or to avoid reckless drivers who never see them standing in the road in the first place.

Who's footing the bill for the increase in insurance premiums for the city now that's it's been determined that passing items from vehicles is, in and of itself, a threat to public safety. How will Charleston mitigate all that risk?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's your take on panhandling? Charleston passed a law

Sep 24, 2015, 2:49 PM

it's funny they have a sign at the foot of the bridge

Sep 24, 2015, 2:51 PM

on east bay.

it directs you to where you can provide them your spare change, food and toiletries.

i passed cash into a car and received an envelope out of the car on tuesday night. downtown. nobody hassled me, lucky i guess.

as with texting and driving, it seems to be another ordinance that is already probably on the books worded slightly different but not actually enforced.

They used to have signs in Columbia that said

Sep 24, 2015, 4:45 PM

"don't give money to panhandlers"

I figured the next sign I'd see would be "don't stick metal objects in an electric socket", cause both seem about the same to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what about a backwards lateral?

Sep 24, 2015, 2:55 PM

I would think a handoff would be fine, no matter where it occurs. ;)

I do hate being the first person at a stoplight with the "Will Work For Food" guy sitting there......those 45 seconds of extreme non-eye contact, yet all the while watching through peripheral vision to make sure he's not approaching your vehicle.

Re: what about a backwards lateral?

Sep 24, 2015, 2:58 PM

Don't ignore them. Showing them disapproval is the way to motivate them and have them make better of themselves. I can seriously sense an increase in their motivation when I jerk around to lock my doors and roll up my windows and pick up my cell phone frantically trying to reach someone to come get me.

I think they're just misunderstood. But they look so gross when they're feeding that I just can't act like "oh well you do your thing and I do my thing man".

so you saying we should boo them?

Sep 24, 2015, 3:07 PM

give them a thumbs down?
how about point and laugh?

what about crack open a liter of Crown and pour it on the pavement beside the car?

From 1988 until around 2010, I don't think I ever

Sep 24, 2015, 2:59 PM [ in reply to what about a backwards lateral? ]

saw a panhandler around Greenville. Now, once a month or so, I'm confronted with the situation you just described.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I typically don't shy away from them, nor avoid

Sep 24, 2015, 4:51 PM [ in reply to what about a backwards lateral? ]

eye contact. Sometimes I'll stop picking my nose, but that's just because other drivers can see me.

Hey, THEY'RE the ones out there begging for cash, not me. I'm sitting in my car, listening to ###### music pickin' my nose or scratchin' my balls or something. If THEY don't want to see ME, THEY should avoid eye contact.

#### 'em, is what I say.

They weren't hurting anyone...

Sep 24, 2015, 2:55 PM

And people don't have to give them anything. Just more oversight and control (and likely some of the fears you mentioned).

I've encountered many stoplight panhandlers while driving through Charleston all these years and not a single one ever bothered me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

"don't hurt anyone"..lulz. Not exactly waht you want to see

Sep 24, 2015, 4:48 PM

while you're spending your cash on chotkskis from the slave market market in the "Condé Nast Traveler's Readers Choice No. 1 Top U.S. City", is it?

Sep 24, 2015, 3:14 PM

Just pass me a joint next time you drive by.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Sep 24, 2015, 5:22 PM

> I have no problem with that, because most of those panhandlers are just lazy, good-for-nothing swindlers who smell bad and lower property values

Ah, good ole' conservative empathy, just as Jesus taught. It's so refreshing.

Its funny, because some of these folks have taken up

Sep 24, 2015, 5:49 PM

panhandling as a job. They all work together to take shifts at corners, and at the end of the day, get in their cars and go home.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150307/PC16/150309489

"Peninsula resident Peter Nistad said he recently saw one panhandler chatting on a cellphone while strolling to a waiting sedan after completing a day of begging. Fellow resident Dayna Elliot said she and others have seen vans dropping off panhandlers along Lockwood Boulevard to take up positions looking for handouts. Several other people noted that panhandlers are sharing signs and working in shifts at particularly lucrative spots, such as the off-ramp from the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge into Charleston.

“All of our guts are telling us: Something fishy is going on here,” Elliot said.

Charleston City Councilman Mike Seekings, who represents a swath of downtown, said he has received “lots of calls” on the issue, though the city’s hands are tied to a degree due to court rulings on panhandling. Still, the city has an obligation to determine whether homelessness and pure need is driving the growth in panhandling or if something more sinister is going on, he said.

“There is an enterprise feel to some of it,” he said. “I think we really need to figure out what is happening here.”"

Re: Its funny, because some of these folks have taken up

Sep 25, 2015, 12:07 AM

I know that is sometimes the case and this particular policy may be necessary in Charleston, I'm not refuting that. I'm was just commenting on his lack of empathy in general. Not every panhandler is a worthless piece of ####. People can and do fall on hard times and I'm not sure why people are so quick to look down on others.

Sep 24, 2015, 8:55 PM

I think panhandling should be allowed...whenever, wherever (in public space).

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic