Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's it going to take?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

What's it going to take?

Jan 27, 2019, 9:48 AM

For the CBB supporters to open their eyes and see he's Tommy Bowden?

Here are the facts....

160 - 121 56% He wins 56% of his games and is in his 9th season.

He has made the dance 2 times... 1 was with OP players in his first season.

So defenders of CBB.... Are you ok with going to the dance 2 times a decade? Because that's basically who he is. Are you ok with losing every close game? The one common theme with CBB is if the game is close...we lose it. Are you ok with fouling yesterday with 9 seconds left? Are you ok with losing a 6 point lead with 18 seconds to play? Because these are all FACTS.... Not opinions. FACTS.

I would love to hear a REAL compelling argument to why he should stay and IS THE GUY... And I swear if anybody brings up he needs more time or better facilities your opinion will be discounted... because that is the biggest pile of crap and tired excuses we're sick of hearing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's it going to take?

Jan 27, 2019, 10:00 AM

How about you comparing CBB’s stats to our basketball historical average instead of to football as the two sports are not comparable

Jan 27, 2019, 10:08 AM

Reading comprehension is not your thing apparently.... Never did I compare basketball and football stats... I compared him as a coach vs Tommy Bowden. Try again and actually answer the question I put out....

Jan 27, 2019, 10:21 AM

Reading comprehension is not your thing apparently.... Never did I compare basketball and football stats... I compared him as a coach vs Tommy Bowden. Try again and actually answer the question I put out....

My bad as I thought Tommy Bowden coached FOOTBALL at Clemson...

Jan 27, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: What's it going to take? ]

Coaching in very different circumstances. Bowden could not awaken a sleeping giant. Brownell is outpacing historical outcomes for our basketball program

Jan 27, 2019, 10:03 AM

Up until two years ago we had Winthrop level facilities. CBB had to go out and raise funds for the upgrade or we would still have crappy facilities. He has recruited two classes with facilities he did not have to hide from recruits. We are now getting better recruits than before yet you want to fire him and hire an unknown who will either flame out or jump for a better job as soon as he gets the chance

A blind squirrel could recruit basketball players to Clemson

Jan 27, 2019, 10:21 AM

right now. Someone with chutzpah and charisma could do even better.

I've seen no evidence that, whatever our limitations are, they can be overcome by the current coaching staff. The argument seems to be that this is the best we can ever hope for because we will never be better than our historical average and we should never expect more than that.

I'm not suggesting we fire the guy, but to expect more from our basketball program seems appropriate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Despite all of the excuses about our geographic location and basketball history

Jan 27, 2019, 11:19 AM

the main determining factor for success or failure is support for our program by the administration and fans.

I believe that our current administration is much better than previous ones in terms of caring about basketball, but I’m not sure how badly they want us to be a perennial NCAA Tournament team.

Our fan base is divided. We have some fans who care a lot, but we have many more who only care if we are really good, exciting to watch, and playing Duke or UNC. And of course, they only show up as long as it isn’t football season, holidays, or bad weather.

We also have fans who don’t care about basketball at all, and only serve to whine and complain. We have had a lot of those fans posting on here lately. These are the ones who love to troll basketball topics by saying “at least we have football” and “Dabo should coach basketball.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

i believe that basketball is an urban sport

Jan 27, 2019, 10:34 AM

and great basketball recruits prefer and urban setting for their short college careers

that is all

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please peruse the top 25 and see which schools are urban, suburban, and rural.

Jan 27, 2019, 11:22 AM

You will see plenty schools not located in urban areas.

You will also see a lack of top programs in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. Of basketball is such an urban sport, with prospects who want to stay in urban areas, you would expect to see more top programs in big cities. But you don’t.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

i see #24 Iowa State maybe considered rural***

Jan 27, 2019, 1:10 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You aren’t really interested in hearing others’ opinions.

Jan 27, 2019, 11:12 AM

So I won’t waste my time.

Jan 27, 2019, 11:14 AM

To answer your question I will ask a question. Who can you hire to take this program to the next level. This is not a premier job for coaches. Very little fan support even when we are winning limits who you can recruit. So again who CAN you hire to do a better job?

Jan 27, 2019, 11:54 AM

First off he is not Tommy Bowden. Tommy was shorter and had lighter color hair. So let's get that point out of the way.
But I do agree the job is not getting done.
I have posted on here that while we can't seriously compete with UNC, or Duke, or even Virginia(yes the same #1 seed that lost to a #16 seed)for a championship, there is no reason we can't compete with State, or FSU, or Wake, or Syracuse, etc. etc. and win those close games,especially those on the road,and those that will get you in the Big Dance.
You won't get an argument from me about needing more time, or better facilities. He has had both.
The problem, as I see it is in recruiting.
He just can't seem to recruit.
But if N.C.State can, why can't we?
So there is my argument.
He either needs to recruit better, or the A.D. had better start putting together a list of potential Head Coaches.
I would really hate to see him go. He is a nice guy, just like Tommy(forget my opening remark)
and besides, if he does leave I will have to retire my Brownell Bobble -Head figurine.

Jan 27, 2019, 12:01 PM

leftie said:

First off he is not Tommy Bowden. Tommy was shorter and had lighter color hair. So let's get that point out of the way.
But I do agree the job is not getting done.
I have posted on here that while we can't seriously compete with UNC, or Duke, or even Virginia(yes the same #1 seed that lost to a #16 seed)for a championship, there is no reason we can't compete with State, or FSU, or Wake, or Syracuse, etc. etc. and win those close games,especially those on the road,and those that will get you in the Big Dance.
You won't get an argument from me about needing more time, or better facilities. He has had both.
The problem, as I see it is in recruiting.
He just can't seem to recruit.
But if N.C.State can, why can't we?
So there is my argument.
He either needs to recruit better, or the A.D. had better start putting together a list of potential Head Coaches.
I would really hate to see him go. He is a nice guy, just like Tommy(forget my opening remark)
and besides, if he does leave I will have to retire my Brownell Bobble -Head figurine.

Were you paying attention you would have noticed he has recruited better the last two cycles when he had a decent facility to show the recruits. For me the clock started two years ago not nine years ago as he spent the first seven years raising money and support to build a facility

How many times are you going to make this post?***

Jan 27, 2019, 11:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: How many times are you going to make this post?***

Jan 27, 2019, 12:04 PM

LOL this dude is really upset about that loss yesterday. I hope he doesn’t have a dog.

agreed

Jan 28, 2019, 8:55 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jan 27, 2019, 12:04 PM

Yes, excellent call to foul. Make the 2 freebies and the puppies have to make a three to tie. Who would a thunk he would miss both, plus the other two.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 3:05 PM

I am new to this post, but not sure why Mr Keller who looks like he worships BB with that picture, can't see the light. I use to live on the floor above the Grant Brothers and the rest of the basketball team. They had some pretty good players. We have no one or have had no one close to that talent since BB arrived. I wrote D Rad two years ago and told him it was time to make a change as He knew from his days a G Tech what is was all about. D Rad is a facilities builder. Obviously he did not listen and as I predicted we would begin to go on the downswing once the transfers graduated. As you can see the lack of depth which there is not much talent there to provide us has hurt this year and will only continue into next year and beyone. His decision has set back the program for years. Put a winner on the floor with some constancy and people will come back. Mr Keller needs to use his eyes to see as I did and am right on the money not listen to ESPN(ala Lebron and Tiger Woods channel). Sometimes its addition by subtraction.

Jan 28, 2019, 3:39 PM

First, I must confess that I no longer go to the basketball games but it's not because of our record or what we see on the floor. I have difficulty climbing up and down stairs. I had season tickets from 1955 until the latest renovations and missed very few games in the old Fike Field House and our move to Littlejohn. I supported our program through good times and bad and most of the time it was bad. I have heard the same old words over and over, "when we have a winning program I will go". During those years when our fair weather fans did not go, it is you who had a negative impact on our recruiting. I saw top notch recruits visit Littlejohn only to see empty seats all around. Why would any recruit want to come to Clemson and play before a half-empty house and then read and hear our fans clamoring for our coach to be fired? And yes, recruits do read these boards. Even the players on the team look in the stands and see all of those empty seats. That has to be a downer for our team and when the fans of our opponents come to Littlejohn and make more noise than our own fans we should hang our heads in shame.

We blame our Administration, our coach and our players for our long time bottom dwelling basketball program but it appears to me we fans should look in the mirror and admit we are part of the problem.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 4:23 PM

^^obvious coot^^

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic