Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA Proposed Changes Series (#2)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,229

NCAA Proposed Changes Series (#2)

Nov 1, 2019, 8:39 AM

Yesterday, I mentioned it is going to be interesting how and what changes will be implemented, as well as, how hard it may be to get agreement between the conferences and divisions across the NCAA.

Thinking about this the way I used to do during my career, the first thing I look at is what is the cost. If you haven't figured it out, we the fans are going to pay for paying players for likeness and etc. Whether it's the increases by Nike, Adidas, Under Armor or whomever, the cost of the money paid the players is going to be passed on to us. Those free autographs, gone and costs for local businesses using players for advertising, passed on to the consumer.

Dabo and others have stated that it is important to maintain the integrity of the "student athlete", have the same college experience, and somehow tie this to graduation (sorry SEC but many of your players are going to be broke ??).

I believe part of this can be tied to graduation and keep it equal by placing a fee on all university sports jerseys, caps/hats, shoes, etc. made and sold by the big name companies. The fee would be placed in a trust by the universities and each year, it would be divided equally among the team rosters across all athletes at a school that GRADUATE. No graduation, no pay.

All athletes would share equally!

(More to come)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA Proposed Changes Series (#2)

Nov 1, 2019, 8:58 AM

I would tend to disagree. Advertising regardless of the form generally comes out of profit margin. You don't need to make as much on each unit because you are selling more. A minimal increase in cost could go up due to demand, but it would likely be just that, minimal.

It is also unlikely that most of the legitimate endorsements will be in addition to existing advertising or be a first time deal stepping into promotion of their product. It is likely that the college players will replace other forms of promotion. I have thought about all of the professional athletes who seem to be all for this. I wonder how many of them have thought that it will probably take money out of their pockets.

I see a lot of issues with a new NIL rule, but I honestly don't see increased pricing being one of them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever bargaining unit the players come up with will

Nov 1, 2019, 9:03 AM

never agree to wait until after graduation to receive these monies. Now, you can certainly make passing each years course work a prerequisite to getting that year's money from likeness, etc. That should not be an issue, since athletes are supposed to be getting passing grades to be eligible to play anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whatever bargaining unit the players come up with will

Nov 1, 2019, 2:40 PM

"The schools should get all the profit of a player's name and likeness unless he graduates". I am sorry, that is not a good policy. These are not bonus monies paid out like a company would pay an employee. The school remember has no right to the money, and the students aren't employees of the school. If you don't want the player to have the money right away for some unknown reason, let it be until "exhaustion of athletic eligibilty" not dependent on graduation.

Re: Whatever bargaining unit the players come up with will

Nov 1, 2019, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Whatever bargaining unit the players come up with will ]

Furthermore, the schools should not be in control of the money. In this proposition, if said athlete doesn't graduate or doesn't complete that years course work, what happens to the money? It's definitely not going back to the company that already used the image and likeness. The school definitely shouldn't get it because the students aren't employees right? You want to give the NCAA the money? It can only go to the athlete under any circumstance or you will run right back into the same problem of other's profiting off of the image and likeness.

Re: NCAA Proposed Changes Series (#2)

Nov 1, 2019, 10:16 AM

There is no telling what it will look like when the ncaa gets their hands on it.Kinda like some politicians coming to your door and saying “ I’m here to help you” we may want to run as fast as possible

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,229
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic