Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What would be best for Clemson re: FSU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

What would be best for Clemson re: FSU?

Oct 28, 2014, 11:24 AM

I'm not sure which would be better.

1. FSU wins out regular season and wins the ACC Championship Game.

Result: Clemson most likely goes to the Orange Bowl and FSU goes to the Play-Off. FSU would then hold the most ACC Titles at 15.

2. FSU loses TWO ACC games and Clemson beats @WFU and @GT and goes to the ACC Championship Game.

Result: Clemson has the chance to win the ACC and reclaim the most ACC Titles in the ACC from FSU. Also Clemson has an outside crazy chance of getting into the Play-Off.

IMO, scenario 2 is best for Clemson; however, it also comes at the greatest risk. Because what would be the absolute worst for Clemson (besides losing any of our games) is if FSU loses @Louisville Thursday night and doesn't lose another ACC game.

The safest would be to hope for scenario 1 to occur.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

If UofL wins Thurs... obviously pull like

Oct 28, 2014, 11:26 AM

crazy for scenario 2

the worst would be for FSU to go undefeated in ACC... then lose to either UF, or ACCCG

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

True, that's the legit worst case.

Oct 28, 2014, 11:27 AM

Though, I'd rather them lose in the ACCCG so we both hold 14 ACC Titles (if I got to pick between losing UF or ACCCG).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This

Oct 28, 2014, 11:27 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16094104

Odds of happening…0.3%…so you're saying there's a chance!***

Oct 28, 2014, 11:29 AM

Actually i did the math

Oct 28, 2014, 11:33 AM

there is .6317% chance

I don't see FSU going undefeated. Most likely, they lose

Oct 28, 2014, 11:28 AM

at Louisville and go 11-1. I could also see them losing the ACCCG.

I do not believe, however, that they will lose 2 reg season games unfortunately.

I think the likelihood of FSU losing two games is remote.***

Oct 28, 2014, 11:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'm just pulling for us to get to the Orange Bowl.

Oct 28, 2014, 11:32 AM

Almost no chance we make it to the playoffs regardless of what happens.

And the Russell Athletic Bowl would be no bueno.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: I'm just pulling for us to get to the Orange Bowl.

Oct 28, 2014, 11:36 AM

I know I'm supposed to want us to go to the OB again ... but it's such a long drive down to Miami.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we win out but don't end-up in the Orange Bowl...

Oct 28, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to I'm just pulling for us to get to the Orange Bowl. ]

hopefully the selection committee would seriously consider Clemson for the Peach Fil-A Bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'll take 1 or 2

Oct 28, 2014, 11:32 AM

we can't control what FSU does on or off the field so Clemson should just win out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Well, we can affect what FSU does OFF the field...***

Oct 28, 2014, 11:33 AM

I don't believe a non Clemson person would view us as a ...

Oct 28, 2014, 11:58 AM

playoff worthy team even if we had a conference championship.

The biggest struggle for the playoff committee isn't who gets in the playoffs but which conference champ gets left out. I know that a simpleton's way of looking at it but the task seems difficult to me.

There is a factor that might affect the committee's decision though. Which teams have improved the most. MSU went to OU and got trounced then won the remainder of their games. Improvement has always been a factor in making the cut in the NCAAB tourney. I'm not sure it it's applicable here or not. I believe that if MSU wins out they deserve a seed.

Likewise Clemson might be considered a team that will have improved, contrary to present circumstances. With the return of DW it's likely. It's also notable that while our starter and half a dozen other players were injured we struggled but won. What we are complaining about the most might be our biggest attribute were we crowned conference champs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What would be best for Clemson re: FSU?

Oct 28, 2014, 12:01 PM

I would rather win the conference and go to the OB, and not get a team in the Playoffs...worst case is FSu only loses one...bumps us out the OB. Even if we win out and win the ACCCG there is absolutely no way we make the playoffs.

The way that the polls love us it would be hard to crack the top 10 I think. I mean ND loses to FSU and drop two spots...we lose to them and fall completely out the top 25...my question is isn't a team ranked around 21 supposed to lose to the number one team on the road?!?! So you penalize them for ranking them where you think they are in reference to the number 1 team LOL

Re: What would be best for Clemson re: FSU?

Oct 28, 2014, 12:54 PM

Earlier in the season, rankings seem to get affected more by games won or lost.

The FSU game was our third game this season, and we were ranked only #22. Losing to any team at this point of the season when ranked here would drop you out of the rankings. We actually dropped only 6 spots after that loss. We went to 28th (according to "other receiving votes" list). Last year, when we got drilled by them at home (51-14), we still remained in the Top 10.

On the other hand, when LSU got ransacked by #5 Auburn this year at home 41-7, they dropped out of the rankings from #15. When South Carolina lost to unranked Missouri (their 5th game) when they blew a 4th quarter lead, they dropped out of the rankings from #13. These two teams seem to have gotten penalized quite a bit.

The way I see it......

Oct 28, 2014, 12:35 PM

- The most important thing left for Clemson to do is win out and in particular, beat SCAR. 10-2 would be fantastic, considering the circumstances.

- If FSU opens the door by losing twice (I think it's possible), then we should walk through it and go 11-2 and go to the Orange Bowl.

- If FSU doesn't open the door by losing, but perhaps by winning out, we should also walk through the door and go to the Orange Bowl, slightly grumbling that it's due to their success.

- In the long run, I think it's best for FSU to lose and sort of implode and put us in the ACCCG. It's simply a better scenario. Conference titles are important and we need more of them.

- I really could care less about the ACC having a representative in the playoff this year. I do think that the Pac 12 and Big 12 are really good conferences this year. To me, it's as simple as the Pac 12 champ, Big 12 champ, SEC champ, and then either the Big10 champ/ACC champ/ or Notre Dame making the playoff this season. But there is a lot of football to be played still.

- Had we won at FSU, we'd be in the playoff conversation and making reservations for Charlotte now. But we are not. If we end up in the Russell Athletic Bowl, then we simply need to go win that bowl, finish with 11 wins and we will still enjoy a final top 10 ranking. But I'd rather win the ACC and go to the Orange Bowl, while FSU wallows in the mire. So I will gladly pull against them as usual.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic