Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What we need is a new Mahaffey family!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

What we need is a new Mahaffey family!!!

Feb 3, 2014, 5:37 PM

As a Baby Boomer who was a kid in the 60's, when I first started keeping up with Clemson sports, we had the good fortune to have four 6'7' or 6'8" brothers play basketball at Clemson over about an 8 to 10 year period. In the mid to late 60's, Randy and Richie were on the same team, and I believe that might have been the team together the year we beat both UNC and N.C. State in the old North-South doubleheader played at the old Charlotte Coliseum on Independence. I'm guessing that was about 66 or 67. Had we been able to get one or two more of the Grants, that would have been sweet dynasty! The Mahaffeys were good players, and my recollection is that Randy was the best of them all. The other two were Tommy and Donnie (I think) I would say those were the good old days, except most of the teams were mediocre at best except that one team that was 17-8, and beat both State and UNC in the state of N.C. As you would expect in the Tobacco Road dominated ACC, when we played in the North-South, that counted as one of the two regular season games, and the other two were played at UNC and State, so it was Clemson (much like the football Big Thursday) and South Carolina who lost their home games. That's my two cents worth for today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What we need is a new Mahaffey family!!!

Feb 3, 2014, 6:49 PM

We needed to Bookers to have more children.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2014, 6:51 PM

I think there is still a brother playing high school ball

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2014, 6:55 PM

You are right about the Mahaffey's, there was at least one on the team from 1961 to 1969. Randy went on to play in the ABA for the Kentucky and Carolina. Very rare to have four children all 6'8.

Feb 3, 2014, 7:04 PM

Genes.

Since you mentioned the 66-67 team....

Feb 3, 2014, 7:47 PM

they were led by hometown hero Jimmy Southerland. Other notables included Joe Ayoob, Walt Ayers and Hank Chanel, but certainly Southerland and Randy and Richie Mahaffey were the stars and backbone of the team.

It was one of, if not THE, most exciting seasons in Fike. Beating State and unc in Charlotte (a home game for them) in the old North-South Doubleheader got all us Tiger fans excited and we expected them to shine in the ACC Tournament. Unfortunately, the Tigers lost a Double OT heartbreaker to Wake in the first round. The Tigers didn't come close to a winning record the next couple of seasons.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sutherland played with Pete Maravich at Daniel

Feb 3, 2014, 7:55 PM

Jim, 6 ft. 5 and Pete then only 5 ft. 8 or so, shot all the time, but Jim's defense at Clemson could have gotten him into pros, but he chose medical school instead, and Randy went on to a fair career in ABA. He was only one of the Mahaffey kids who was really athletically gifted. Of course, Pete's Dad Press got hired at NC State and Pete went on to star at HS there. Then LSU for both of them. I swear Press was only hired because of Pete. Pete started dribbling everywhere as soon as he could walk. He had a bigger brother Ronnie who was taller and stronger but not passionate about bb as Pete. Ronnie ended up a Master Sgt. in the Marines!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sutherland played with Pete Maravich at Daniel

Feb 3, 2014, 8:12 PM

Yes...there was an entire group of kids who kind of "hung out" at Fike when Pete was young because Coach Maravich allowed him and his buddies to play on "the big court" instead of being relegated to the Y court. Most of those kids went on to play HS ball at Daniel--teams which included Tigernet's own Apex Tiger.

You are correct about Press. He was initially hired away from being the HC at Clemson by the legendary Everett Case at NCSt to be an assistant coach at NCSt after Pete, as an 8th grader (he had to get special permission from the SCHS people to play varsity ball) led the state in scoring. Pete's scoring record went unbroken until Alex English's senior HS season. Pete starred at Broughton HS in downtown Raleigh until Press was hired by LSU for the exact same reason he left Clemson for NCSt. Pete also had an older sister. After Press was fired at LSU, he eventually surfaced at Campbell College in Buie's Creek, NC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sutherland was drafted by the 1st year Supersonics***

Feb 3, 2014, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Sutherland played with Pete Maravich at Daniel ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Supersonics Very First Draft....

Feb 3, 2014, 8:48 PM

Rnd Name College/HS/Country Note
1 Al Tucker Oklahoma Baptist
2 Bob Rule Colorado State
3 Sam Singleton Omaha
4 Larry Bunce Utah State
5 Plummer Lott Seattle
6 Gordon Harris Washington
6 Willie Wolters Nevade Southern
7 #### Kolbert Santa Barbara
8 Willie Wolters Boston College
9 Rod McDonald Whitworth
10 Gary Lechman Gonzaga
11 Randy Matson Texas A&M
12 Rubin Russell North Texas State
13 John Schroeder Ohio
14 Jim Sutherland Clemson
15 Willie Campbell Nebraska

Was the Grant kid so good from Syracuse from the Grant

Feb 3, 2014, 7:50 PM

Twins? I know the Grant kid at ND washed out of the program.

Re: Was the Grant kid so good from Syracuse from the Grant

Feb 3, 2014, 7:54 PM

yes he is Harvey's son I believe

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goodness gracious, with him and KJ, we would be really good!***

Feb 3, 2014, 7:56 PM

Re: Was the Grant kid

Feb 3, 2014, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Was the Grant kid so good from Syracuse from the Grant ]

Another of Harvey's progeny. I always thought it was too bad we didn't get to see Horace and Harvey patrolling the paint at the same time.....but the Pickens Co. Sheriff's Dept. had other ideas

Harvey was in Horace's shadow - not nearly as good - don't

Feb 3, 2014, 7:58 PM

know about "legal problems" but maybe that is why he transferred to Oklahoma State?

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic