Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What we know about our Stoudt, Kelly, and our QB situation:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

What we know about our Stoudt, Kelly, and our QB situation:

Jan 23, 2014, 10:13 AM

Stoudt has a lot more time in the system and real game experience(even if most of it was mop-up).

Stoudt moved the team very, very effectively and made the most of every opportunity.

Stoudt throws a very nice spiral and appears to have an excellent arm.

Kelly appears to be the better runner.

Kelly is very vocal and talks a lot of trash. He is known as "Swag".

Kelly was hand-picked for this offense by Chad Morris.

Kelly looked very good in the spring game until he got hurt.

Will Proctor was the best QB ever at Clemson (in the spring game).

Kelly showed tremendous determination in making an amazing recovery from his knee injury.

What is just speculation . . .

Stoudt/Kelly will start.

Stoudt isn't a good enough runner to be highly effective in this offense. Kelly will win the job because he is the better runner.

Stoudt's experience makes him the better QB.

Stoudt is a better passer.

Kelly was hand picked by Morris, so he will start over Stoudt.

Swag's trash talking and/or attitude is an indication that he's a better leader/competitor/QB than Stoudt.

Bottom line: We are in good shape at QB. It will be a battle between these two all the way through August. Throw Watson in the mix, who I speculate will redshirt, and watch out!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: What we know about our Stoudt, Kelly, and our QB situation:

Jan 23, 2014, 10:16 AM

Schussler was signed by Miss State and is a good sized kid. He could be more of a factor in this than any of us realize too. It should be an interesting spring and fall

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2014, 10:20 AM

Thanks for you take on this I've been curious about Watson redshirting

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the main reason DW redshirts, aside from the exp. of

Jan 23, 2014, 10:23 AM

CS & CK .. is that he needs to have a year and half in the weight room. Dude has legs like toothpicks. Once he bulks up some he could very well be like that felon that plays for the noles.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We might see a two QB system.

Jan 23, 2014, 10:26 AM

Like you said both of them have their strengths that could help us.

That's entirely possible....

Jan 23, 2014, 10:33 AM

but I think the preference of Dabo and Morris would be for one of them to seperate themselves as the clear starter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: That's entirely possible....

Jan 23, 2014, 11:00 AM

Clemson may use both quarterbacks a lot. I can see Kelly becoming a 'wildcat' kind of QB and used in definite running situations much as Fla. did with Tebow a few years ago. I like both of these kids as they each have a good upside. We are O.K. at this position. I like Watson as a 210 pound QB and he isn't there yet!

My guess is that both will get significant PT.***

Jan 23, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to We might see a two QB system. ]

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Stoudt is the better passer.

Jan 23, 2014, 10:42 AM

From what I have seen, Stoudt is the better passer and better at going through his reads quickly.

Watch how Kelly transfers(or sometimes doesn't) his weight from his back foot to his front foot when he throws. It doesn't look right all the time and the ball seems to float on him.

I do hope we play both because of their differing strengths and how it forces a defense to either spend preparation time on the second guy and not be as ready for the first guy or not spend time preparing for the second guy and he comes in and lights you up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stoudt is the better passer.

Jan 23, 2014, 10:57 AM

not so sure kelly's trash talking makes him the best leader. Think passing game would suffer with him, from what I have seen, he seems to want to run first even in obvious passing situations. Stout might just be the best manager of the offense. Time will tell.

Agree on the trash talking. Not sure how that equates to

Jan 23, 2014, 5:46 PM

a leader. QB needs to stay level headed at all times or the opponets will bait him and get his mind off the task at hand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If a team can simulate both QBs abilities they will...

Jan 23, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Stoudt is the better passer. ]

prepare for both. The problem they will have with Chad is that they don't.

I don't have a problem with Chad's hip rotation (what everyone mistakes as feet problems). He's still learning how much to put on the ball. That inexperience at throwing to D1 receivers will pass. I'd say the kid has been working on this throwing mechanics since he dropped out of the womb. He just trying to throw a perfect ball. That will come with experience.

The ball floats because he has to change his release point as he adjust the velocity if the ball. If he doesn't he'll knock the numbers off somebody's jersey.

If you say it's a flaw in his mechanics I can't argue. If he was a pitcher I'd call it a flaw but I've seen the pro's throw completions from every body position with varied velocities on their passes. It seems to me to be a developed abiltiy whereby his rotation is ignored except in the longest and most hard thrown passes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2014, 11:21 AM

If the RB's develop and produce the way they are expected to, then having a running QB will not be as big of a deal and the best passer will and should be the QB. If they do not produce then we will need Kelly because of his running ability.

I think we will have a clear leader by fall

Jan 23, 2014, 11:37 AM

We are all going on what we have seen. If Cole wins the job, I do still see a possibility of bringing in Chad to run some, but if Chad (or Watson) wins the job I see it being a one man job.

Heres the thing, you can learn to be more accurate and you can learn the playbook better, but the one thing you can't learn is how to get fast. since we don't have a 220 lb QB on the roster, they will need wheels (unlike Tajh).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess there's always someone with a little time

Jan 23, 2014, 11:44 AM

to bullet out what we already know.

BTW: don't agree that if you're a trash talker, it makes you a stronger competitor. It just makes you a trash talker, and you're usually headed for humbling at some point, usually sooner than later.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Watson better sit back and watch... Stoudt and Kelly better

Jan 23, 2014, 12:24 PM

have their mind right, because we are gonna have our oil checked in the first month. FSU and Ga will have some NFL ready guys coming for them....absolutely no place for a green hs qb.

My opinion.

The Wildcard is the future QB controversy

Jan 23, 2014, 3:08 PM

Starting Kelly guarantees a QB controversy for 2 more years. Starting Stoudt sets up Watson to be the clear starter in 2015.

I doubt that many people think that either of the current QBs will be able to keep Watson off the field for 2 or more seasons.

I can see cole starting in a smash mouth offense

Jan 23, 2014, 5:40 PM

If we have the right RB's we won't need a running QB. Cole has shown that he "can" run which could be enough to make the opposing defense have to account for his legs. If cole starts Swag is going to transfer though.

Jan 23, 2014, 5:57 PM

Watson is the future. Kelly will transfer, Cole will get hurt and Watson will remove lose his redshirt to take us to a 9-3 regular season. At least that's what the magic 8 ball says

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic