Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Religious threads here
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 597

Religious threads here

Mar 26, 2020, 7:32 AM

While I am not remotely religious everyone that is should be free to persue those beliefs without ridicule. If it makes folks happy, peaceful and nonpostal I am all for them exercising that right.

You just do not get to make laws for all based upon those beliefs because in truth it is a bad idea. WHy? Well, while not here yet what would happen if someday another religion became the majority and wanted to write laws based upon their faith to impose upon all people?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What laws are on the books that you believe

Mar 26, 2020, 7:37 AM

shouldn't be, that are based on religious beliefs?

Re: What laws are on the books that you believe

Mar 26, 2020, 7:39 AM

Not saying there are but one is unable to deny certain folks want there to be .

The Framers were wise folks in this aspect.

Mar 26, 2020, 7:42 AM

One only needs to look at the issues like abortion and same sex marriage and the comments wanted them banned.

OK, when let us know when this hypothetical problem

Mar 26, 2020, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Re: What laws are on the books that you believe ]

actually starts.

Re: OK, when let us know when this hypothetical problem

Mar 26, 2020, 7:48 AM

Same sex marriage was only recently legal, the abortion issue has been going on for decades and is being challenged all the time with States enacting restrictions and pushing to get it heard in SCOTUS . Just saying ........

Re: OK, when let us know when this hypothetical problem

Mar 26, 2020, 7:50 AM

Wanna talk about certain States wanting to teach Creationism in public schools?

Why are those things legal now?

Mar 26, 2020, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: OK, when let us know when this hypothetical problem ]

Is it perhaps because religious beliefs are NOT being forced on you, because the system is preventing it?

What's the problem?

Love this comment!

Mar 26, 2020, 1:15 PM [ in reply to OK, when let us know when this hypothetical problem ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 AM [ in reply to What laws are on the books that you believe ]

Prodigal,

I would like to see religious organizations have to open up their books to scrutiny just like all of the other charities in this country. I am concerned that much of their money is not involved in charity work and therefor should not be tax free. But we can't tell because thay are exempt from that kind of disclosure.

So, what religious belief is that law based on?***

Mar 26, 2020, 9:46 AM

Why do you think that is not the case? Every 501 has to

Mar 26, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: What laws are on the books that you believe ]

report their financial statements. An anti Christian bias will cause strawmen beliefs and arguments, such as your comment and the OP question. People feel free to make up a situation and assume it is the case. The history of what happens to the target group when this becomes socially acceptable is not good.

Hope this helps:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/question-are-nonprofits-finances-public-information-28028.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 3:37 PM [ in reply to What laws are on the books that you believe ]

Liquor stored closed on Sunday, dry counties, laws against abortion as examples.

But I think the OP is in violation of Sharia law and must be stoned to headache.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely disagree. People should be free to

Mar 26, 2020, 7:53 AM

Practice whichever (peaceful) religion they want of course. I have zero issue with religious freedoms.

However, I vehemently disagree that any idea is above ridicule. Religion is not special in this regard.

If i say something silly like “vaccines don’t work” i should expect ridicule. Likewise if you say “we are in this position because a talking snake convinced a woman to eat an apple” then that is fair game too.

It’s not like i go around in life pointing and laughing at religious people. I keep these discussions where they belong, on a religion forum.

I would never vote to reduce anyone’s religious freedoms but i also strongly believe in the 1st amendment.

Re: Completely disagree. People should be free to

Mar 26, 2020, 9:05 AM

How do you know there wasn't a talking snake? Were you there?

Re: Completely disagree. People should be free to

Mar 26, 2020, 9:39 AM

Is this a serious question?

I don't know there wasn't' a talking snake. I just have no reason to think there was...

"Were you there?" I'm a little shocked at how many replies

Mar 26, 2020, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Completely disagree. People should be free to ]

contain this phrase...

Do you think being there is the only way to know things? Surely not...

Ironically, if you applied that logic to your own beliefs you wouldn't believe in the talking snake either because you weren't there...

You can't legislate morality.

Mar 26, 2020, 8:13 AM

God legislated morality when he gave the Jewish people the book of Leviticus. He didn't do it arbitrarily, they asked for it.

Christians who get their feelings hurt have them stuck out too far. When you (1) mo-fos start feeding us to lions I'm gonna complain. Until then be warned. Those Christians who you are offending are spiritual children.

Matt 18:6 'But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.'

It's not my problem. I appreciate that you're not going to make it yours.

1 You is plural in this post, nothing personal intended to anyone in particular.
Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can't legislate morality.

Mar 26, 2020, 8:24 AM

> When you (1) mo-fos start feeding us to lions I'm gonna complain.

Right.. because traditionally it's been the non-religous people doing the persecution...

> Until then be warned. Those Christians who you are offending are spiritual children.

That's like threatening to punch my aura.

You're picking a fight with someone who isn't going...

Mar 26, 2020, 8:38 AM

to fight with you. Frankly, I pray for you and that makes you God's problem. If you have issues with me you should go tell my Abba. Nothing you say is going to key me off and nothing you say is going to embarrass me or make me hate.

The only two things you're getting from me is love and prayer and you are not in control here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All legislation is based in morality.***

Mar 26, 2020, 8:45 AM [ in reply to You can't legislate morality. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Did that ever stop murder, rape or theft?

Mar 26, 2020, 9:02 AM

That's what I meant. You also know that my beliefs are rooted in the New Testament which says that if a man looks at a woman with lust he is guilty of adultery and if he looks upon another with hate he is guilty of murder.

Good to know you're still kicking.

You better recognize!

my spelling, huh?
Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Hey, did you win our double-or-nothing bet?***

Mar 26, 2020, 10:07 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

IDK.

Mar 27, 2020, 3:12 PM

I asked you and you dismissed it without giving me your report. I remember you offering me another bet but I was having serious heart issues which resulted in a 'procedure,' to open my last two functional arteries.

Re: All legislation is based in morality.***

Mar 26, 2020, 9:06 AM [ in reply to All legislation is based in morality.*** ]

Is legalized abortion based on morality? I think so. Many don't.

I addressed the question from my perspective.

Mar 26, 2020, 9:12 AM

Any will other than God's is immoral. That was the original sin committed by Lucifer. I didn't speak for anyone but myself.

That's true.

Mar 26, 2020, 9:23 AM [ in reply to All legislation is based in morality.*** ]

The common statement should be modified "I can't necessarily legislate my morality". Laws are inherently moral decision points. They codify a right or wrong behavior.

Tax laws?***

Mar 26, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to All legislation is based in morality.*** ]

Maybe should qualify, "criminal law".***

Mar 26, 2020, 9:52 AM

Certainly.

Mar 26, 2020, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Tax laws?*** ]

Tax laws allow deductions for charity because we believe it is good to encourage charitable giving. For home mortgage interest because we believe it is good to own your own home. Income tax rates have a generally progressive structure rather than regressive, flat, or otherwise. Sales tax has exemptions for food and clothing. The fact that we tax income, sales, and real property ownership, and the rates at which we tax those things, are moral choices.

- Jonathan Swift

They were changed last year to basically eliminate any

Mar 26, 2020, 1:58 PM

deductions based on giving or donating, at least for me.

That doesn't seem like a moral direction.

I'm not sure what changed...

Mar 26, 2020, 2:58 PM

...but your reaction to that change is consistent with my point. The change is a moral decision. Could be morally right, could be morally wrong (as you're suggesting here). But the determination is a matter of moral reasoning.

- Jonathan Swift

You said tax laws are based on morals.

Mar 26, 2020, 3:48 PM

If the tax law that allowed for deductions for donations is removed, doesn't that remove any moral justifications for having that law?

This is probably my fault, but I don't follow.

Mar 26, 2020, 4:06 PM

I started this off by saying that all legislation is moral. What I mean by that is that all laws are moral decisions by the government. So in the case of charitable deductions, that law is based on the moral determination that we want to encourage charitable giving. If the law changed and that deduction was removed, that too would be a moral determination that we do NOT want to encourage charitable giving. Perhaps because a hard choice was made in favor of tax revenue due to deficits.

By the way, I'm pretty sure there is still a deduction for charitable giving. This might be a hypothetical example after all.

- Jonathan Swift

So encouraging NOT giving is a moral determination?

Mar 26, 2020, 4:12 PM

WUT?

Yes, you are correct, above the std deduction there are deductions for donations (I think).

As I stated, FOR ME, there aren't, because the standard deduction was raised.

Re: So encouraging NOT giving is a moral determination?

Mar 26, 2020, 5:39 PM

Yes, it's a moral determination. You can disagree with the determination. But it's a moral decision--meaning that it is a decision about what's right or best to do. And we can just that moral decision as a good decision or a bad decision.

In the case of the standard deduction being raised, one could argue that it was a good move, or a bad move. The government made the moral determination was that it was better to give everyone more of a standard deduction. Incidentally, you still get the charitable deduction if you give to charity beyond the standard deduction (and that's been the case all along, only the amount has changed).

- Jonathan Swift

Re: You can't legislate morality.

Mar 26, 2020, 8:47 AM [ in reply to You can't legislate morality. ]

None taken on my part. I try not to offend my religious friends as that really cuts down on the ability to have a discussion. What I believe or what you may believe should not be a reason to digress in to heated arguements IMHO.

PSA: Avoid Religious threads here or at least ....

Mar 26, 2020, 8:22 AM

practice social distancing.

Yes avoid religious threads in the religion forum...***

Mar 26, 2020, 8:37 AM

You said this the other day, though

Mar 26, 2020, 9:01 AM

"Based on your replies to posts I would call you a hypoctite myself. Met many like you and laughed at them constantly. You be you , if you actually believe what you are saying you sure better do a better job of living it."

So, you dont actually mean that it when you say "...everyone that is should be free to persue those beliefs without ridicule"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: You said this the other day, though

Mar 26, 2020, 10:31 AM

I laugh at those, like you, who proclaim their faith and begin childish name calling. Folks like you deserve derision and laughter because of your hypocrisy I hope that clears up your misconceptions a bit.

Re: You said this the other day, though

Mar 26, 2020, 10:51 AM

To put it plainer is to say you do not get to start stuff then run off and hide behind a cloak of being religious. Either live and act as the book says or take your lumps.

I meant cuck as a compliment

Mar 26, 2020, 1:40 PM

Some people enjoy it, you know!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Enjoy it, or learn to embrace the roll?

Mar 26, 2020, 2:24 PM

FBCoachSC®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

People can believe whatever fairy tale they want.

Mar 26, 2020, 10:02 AM

That's fine. I've tried to avoid getting in any more religious debates here because, let's be real, no one's mind is getting changed on religion on a message board, mine included.

But when a person wants their fairy tale to be law, that's a problem.

To quote Matthew Schultz:

"You’re allowed to believe in a god. You’re allowed to believe unicorns live in your shoes for all I care. But the day you start telling me how to wear my shoes so I don’t upset the unicorns, I have a problem with you. The day you start involving the unicorns in making decisions for this country, I have a BIG problem with you."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 44
| visibility 597
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic