Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What kind of team will GT bring to Death Valley?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

What kind of team will GT bring to Death Valley?

Jan 15, 2019, 5:46 PM

That is the question. The new coach is a known defensive guru, but what kind of offense will they present?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What kind of team will GT bring to Death Valley?

Jan 15, 2019, 5:54 PM

Yeah, that will be a tough game to prepare for. We won't know what they will run on offense. Wish we were playing them the second game rather than the first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 5:55 PM

GT will play inspired football. They have a bunch of tape on us and our offense. Their coaches are probably already coming up with a game plan. Expect a lot of weird looks and trick plays. We have the better athletes and should dominate but, we are at a definite planning disadvantage. I will be there hollering my lungs out as usual but I do not like this game the way it is scheduled.

not sure but they will leave as a grease spot***

Jan 15, 2019, 5:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 6:01 PM

I have thought about that same thing as I doubt that they will be running the wishbone or anything resembling what GT has been running. Maybe they decided to schedule it as the first game so BV can show the rest of the league what to do. We start off with an new GT and then bring in A&M. If we get through the first two games the only problem left should be Syracuse. Right now I don't see a loss on the schedule but when you play with a funny shaped oblong ball anything can happen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One that can't win...... at least not yet.

Jan 15, 2019, 6:08 PM

GT has recruited talent to run the triple option. They will now field a different offense, for which they do not have the proper talent.

As an example the triple option does not need a lot of WRs and even if they had them, they have very little experience or coaching due to the small number of passes thrown to them.

The O-linemen have been taught to dive-block with cuts..... perfectly fine for option runs, but it won't work as well with more modern offenses. They will need to learn to zone-block, drive-block and pass-block..... and it will take 3 years to recruit and train to the differences in a meaningful way that can lead to success.

RBs will have to learn how to run the read-dive and RPOs.... a completely different job from a called dive play. They use one dive RB with their B-Back but not in a QB read-option set. Once they start passing more, the RBs will have to pass block, something they don't do too much of now, other than the B-back blocking at the C-gap.

We don't need to worry too much about GT for the next 3 years or so.

Exactly Right!

Jan 15, 2019, 6:35 PM

Unless they are going to run the exact same offense Paul Johnson ran; they won't likely that early in the season be able to move the ball effectively. Once you know who the OC is; you plan on what general look you will get. If it's a spread coach you just prepare for the spread! Clemson will be loud and these guys will be operating a brand new offense in an hostile environment. Our offense is largely intact; and will be ready to play someone other than our defense by then. Hot night where depth will be an issue favors us by a mile. Round pegs trying to fit in square offense is a disadvantage for GT. I think the game gets away from the Yellow Jackets early. After that; it snowballs and we give their new ( more defensive minded coach ) a "WARM WELCOME" to Death Valley!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly Right!

Jan 15, 2019, 7:59 PM

Yep. Will look like some of the outmatched Chan Gailey teams.

Jan 15, 2019, 6:58 PM

This game has the potential of being an absolute blood bath. As posted previously in this thread, the entire team is based, trained and coached for triple O. Not much room for improvement. If anything, they will regress substantially. Tough job to take given the circumstances really, but they will likely come out with a lot of heart, vinegar, etc. However, Kendrick may be taking snaps in the third...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 7:10 PM

BloodbeOrange® My thoughts exactly! I'm sure their new coach being the defensive minded coach he is; will put them in position. But, sometimes if the other team is just too talented and your offense can't support you; you just get worn out. That's about what I am expecting honestly! Unless something unforeseen happens; that is what is likely to happen.

Jan 15, 2019, 8:02 PM

TU!

Jan 15, 2019, 7:12 PM

A football team looking to beat the National Champs!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 7:17 PM

Flexbone-spread option offense players trying to play in a 5 wide spread! Unless they have a diamond in the rough at WR; if they are going to run a pass happy or even 40% pass to 60% run offense they had better have the players to do it with. Or expect their defense to face a bunch of plays because the offense has gone 3 and out. Will be even worse if they turn to up tempo!

We'll really be fine. Here's why:

Jan 15, 2019, 7:23 PM

If they're going to excel at anything out of the gates, it'll be on the defensive side of the ball. For us, that will be going up against our strength.

On Offense, 1) They don't have the talent, regardless of scheme. 2) They're not going to run triple option (the coach needs to implement his offense and I'm certain it won't be option/wishbone) and 3) it take quite a bit of time to get the offense going, especially when there has been a change.

Lastly, we'll be at home. It'll be a rocking crowd I'm sure. They won't be ready for that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 7:43 PM

A team ready for a quick shower and a hour and a half bus ride in the 3rd quarter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2019, 8:04 PM

About a 30 point underdog....

Who knows, but there will be a lot of cut blocks just out of

Jan 15, 2019, 10:23 PM

habit.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who knows, but there will be a lot of cut blocks just out of

Jan 15, 2019, 10:44 PM

They will have an offense similar to Temple's. Collins brought most of his staff from Temple and the offensive coordinator spent years at Coastal before going to Temple. Does anyone know how the offense ran at Coastal before going FBS?

I seem to recall:

Jan 15, 2019, 10:52 PM

Lots of inside zone plays with them. Then play action pass off of that. Max protect timing routes. Once they flex you where they want b/c of your adjustments to their bread and butter they do a little outside zone. But, my memory isn't what it used to be.

They better hope the kind of team that can score 45+ points

Jan 15, 2019, 11:48 PM

cause we are gonna score a shitload of points

null

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic