Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is this warning about losing ESPN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

What is this warning about losing ESPN

Sep 10, 2019, 1:01 AM

Saw it for 1st time during Raiders' game. Are a bunch of providers in tough negotiations with Disney/ABC/ESPN? Says, "Don't lose ESPN. Don't lose college football, Monday Night Football....etc. Call your provider!"

Well, we all know the success rate of "calling our providers." I hope ESPN/ABC isn't about to fall off the cliff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

saw that for the first time tonight also. I’m SOOO

Sep 10, 2019, 1:35 AM

over this crap. Here in Los Angeles we didn’t have CBS for at least a month this summer. Now THIS during football season?!!! What’s wrong with these wankers??!! I’m already paying extra for the sports package just to get the ACC network.

Re: What is this warning about losing ESPN

Sep 10, 2019, 3:21 AM

Just saw that ad at about 3am - it seemed rather vague. No carriers named who they were having "issues" with?

As much as I dislike ESPN as a whole - CFB is one product they are tops in providing.

If I had one wish it's

Sep 10, 2019, 6:21 AM

Would be either for Vegas to shut down completely or espn. Either one of those scenarios would put absolute JOY in my heart

Agree it would be awesome to have much less CFB on tv

Sep 10, 2019, 5:19 PM

The less the better I say!

Sep 10, 2019, 9:44 AM

Read a while back that a lot of networks are starting their own streaming services. Disney,NBC etc are pulling their shows from Netflix when they start their own streaming services. My guess is ESPN will only be available through the Disney network. I will see if I can find the article about it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2019, 9:49 AM

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/techburger/article/The-golden-age-of-streaming-is-about-to-end-13561425.php

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2019, 9:58 AM

Good read

Sep 10, 2019, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: What is this warning about losing ESPN ]

Interesting you pulled this from the Chronicle.

There will be winners and losers which will cause mergers. Eventually only 3-4 online services will survive. Netflix, Disney+ and someone else. I don't include Amazon because the video is not a significant part of Prime, so 4-5 if you include them.

The real turning point for streaming will be when ESPN+ is upgraded to include live sports from the NFL, NBA, MLB and anything else on ESPN. ESPN keeps people tethered to the cable big boys.

When ESPN is available online without a cable subscription, cable will collapse on itself.

Why such confidence in Netflix? They are a middleman that's about

Sep 10, 2019, 5:26 PM

to get cut out as the owners of the content shown on Netflix all launch their own streaming services.

Re: Why such confidence in Netflix? They are a middleman that's about

Sep 10, 2019, 7:26 PM

Netflix is more of an original content generator now than a reseller. Their global reach and brand name give them an advantage over everyone else that will last for quite some time. They will definitely be a survivor.

However, when some of the really popular series get pulled, they will be hurt.

Sep 10, 2019, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Why such confidence in Netflix? They are a middleman that's about ]

Netflix is more of an original content generator now than a reseller. Their global reach and brand name give them an advantage over everyone else that will last for quite some time. They will definitely be a survivor.

However, when some of the really popular series get pulled, they will be hurt.

Sep 10, 2019, 7:38 PM

Netflix saw the writing on the wall years ago. They started investing in creating it's own content. They have all but locked up things like Stand Up comedy specials. Documentaries. And, if your Disney will you all of a sudden have R rated movies like Netflix? IDTS.

They would hurt their "wholesome brand" too much!

Cable providers - ironically won't ever go away! They laid the cable and that's how you get your internet. It may be wireless once in your home; but it's still cable. If cable reacts the way I think; "greedy"! People's internet service prices will just go up as more and more people start streaming! The consumer will pay(suffer) until something cheaper comes along! Unless I missed something? Which is entirely possible; as i'm one of those flawed humans, LOL!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2019, 8:45 PM

Exactly.

At some point in the future wired connections will become irrelevant. Some believe in the next 5-10 years, 5G wireless will provide consumers a better option than cable.

They do have some good original series, but I'm not sure

Sep 10, 2019, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Why such confidence in Netflix? They are a middleman that's about ]

it's enough. In my house Netflix might go from a service that i pay for year round to a service that i get 1 or 2 months a year to binge watch Stranger Things and whatever else. Their budget will also decrease as people inevitably leave.

The repeal of net neutrality will definitely effect us the consumer

Sep 11, 2019, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Why such confidence in Netflix? They are a middleman that's about ]

in the streaming space. Internet providers now have the option to speed up or slow down access to individual websites/services and in general charge more for internet access individually, meaning the more bandwidth you consume the more you will pay.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would but that YouTube will survive, since they are owned

Sep 10, 2019, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: What is this warning about losing ESPN ]

by Google!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this isn’t funny.

Sep 10, 2019, 5:08 PM

Re: this isn’t funny.

Sep 10, 2019, 9:12 PM

You have got to be kidding me.

Well I hope part of this is ESPN forcing

Sep 11, 2019, 9:03 AM [ in reply to this isn’t funny. ]

U-verse to carry ACCN as part of renegotiating w ATT on the Direct side

Good thing we are on ABC this Saturday!***

Sep 11, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to this isn’t funny. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good thing we are on ABC this Saturday!***

Sep 11, 2019, 11:16 AM

You realize Disney owns abc right?

yet I'm still stuck with Satelite internet with no download

Sep 10, 2019, 8:37 PM

bandwidth. I Protest.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic