Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is a reasonable price to ask off of MSRP on a new car?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

What is a reasonable price to ask off of MSRP on a new car?

Feb 16, 2018, 8:36 AM

Both the pilots and Highlanders that we are looking at tomorrow are around 40-44k msrp. I think we could probably get a little bit more off of a 2017 than a 2018. How low are dealers willing to go? Kinda a newb at the buying a new car thing. I bought my truck new 2 years ago and got like 12k off MSRP but that's because they were trying to get rid of their last 2015 model.

inb4unrelatedresponses

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8% min***

Feb 16, 2018, 8:37 AM

7.***

Feb 16, 2018, 8:38 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would try to get in a bidding war with someone, pay a min

Feb 16, 2018, 8:39 AM

of 5% over MSRP just to show you can do it.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is a reasonable price to ask off of MSRP on a new car?

Feb 16, 2018, 8:46 AM

Offer up your wife's ######## as payment

Feb 16, 2018, 8:46 AM

Pay no higher than invoice less all rebates. Don’t pay doc fees. With those two there isn’t much dealing. Look on autotrader and see what’s being asked for.

I’m might fly to Minnesota to save $3k on a new truck.

Doc fees are an "it is what it is" line item. It's rare to

Feb 16, 2018, 8:52 AM

find the dealer that will waive them, as it's usually written in stone from the top down that they aren't able to be waived. You might negotiate a comparable amount off the price of the car, but that doc fee will still be there when you go to do your paperwork.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doc fees are an "it is what it is" line item. It's rare to

Feb 16, 2018, 2:55 PM

Bottom is bottom line. If they still charge Doc fee and eat their holdback then I don't care.

I'm currently shopping a 2018 F-150 XLT. Prices are ranging almost $4,000 for the same truck and every dealer is 'losing money' at their selling point. LOL. Don't care. Meet my number.

tried 7% at the Toyota place

Feb 16, 2018, 8:47 AM

a few years ago - they told me I wasn't buying a Chevrolet - Toyota doesn't do that.

So I went down the road and got a Chevy for about 1/2 of what I offered on the Toyo - kept that bad boy for 8 years - 385,000 miles it was a great car.

Thanks
Dave Edwards

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Go to Edmunds.com. The car's invoice price is readily

Feb 16, 2018, 8:50 AM

available. Then, lookup what that manufacturer's holdback is (the percentage of invoice they get refunded.

Example. A car has a $40k sticker. You look up invoice and it's $37k. The holdback is 3% (37k x 3% = $1110). So if they sell you the car at invoice, they're still making $1110. Also see if there are any rebates (also known in the industry as trunk money) that would make the price lower still. Rebates do NOT count against the dealer's profit margin, so if they sold you the car at invoice with a $2k rebate, that rebate is coming from the manufacturer and they don't lose a dime.

I like to get cheeky and see how far below invoice I can get.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go to Edmunds.com. The car's invoice price is readily

Feb 16, 2018, 9:03 AM

Thanks. Looks like invoice is around 36k. Maybe I offer about that on a 2018 and if they won't do it on a 2018 maybe they will on a 2017

Looks like no rebates on either car unless I make a fake military ID.

Here's the problem.

Feb 16, 2018, 9:07 AM

You should be able to get close to invoice on the 18.

If the 17 has no rebates, then invoice is a bad deal on it, as it's already incurred model year depreciation. You'll be in the hole the minute you leave the lot in either of them, but it'll be a deeper hole with the 17.

If you're buying new, a prior model year car had better have some hellacious manufacturer incentives on it to make it worth the depreciation ding you're taking.

Re: Here's the problem.

Feb 16, 2018, 9:09 AM

Makes cents. I guess thats how I got my 2015 truck for like 34k when it's MSRP was ~47k. Was loaded with ford rebates

Add-ing on to that......

Feb 16, 2018, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Here's the problem. ]

If there are no incentives on the 17, you'd actually be better finding a nice certified pre-owned 2017 with 10k miles or so. It's price will reflect the deprecation hit that's already occurred, and you'll usually end up with a longer warranty than a new one.

I have no idea why adding is hyphenated.***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:11 AM

Re: Add-ing on to that......

Feb 16, 2018, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Add-ing on to that...... ]

Thanks bruther, guess we'll be looking at 18s only then. There are no rebates on 17s

Are you still finding Highlander/4Runner 17's on the lot?

Feb 16, 2018, 9:25 AM

I would have thought most of those would have been gone by the end of November.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apologies for the tangent, but your question spurred this

Feb 16, 2018, 9:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r7ihLr9oLA

Re: Are you still finding Highlander/4Runner 17's on the lot?

Feb 16, 2018, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Are you still finding Highlander/4Runner 17's on the lot? ]

0 '17 highlanders left. There's a lot of '17 pilots left. I think we are leaning that direction since the highlanders mostly only come with 2nd row bucket seats

#### Obed should start a side business of going

Feb 16, 2018, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Here's the problem. ]

to car dealerships with people and negotiating on their behalf

I'm one of the few people I know who enjoys buying a car.

Feb 16, 2018, 9:23 AM

It's like other people enjoying a good poker game.

Went with a family friend to help her son buy his first car last weekend. We got $1500 off a $3800 Honda. It was fun teaching the kid some negotiation skills. On our final offer we did the "thanks for your time"--get up and leave trick and the salesman yelled "You win!!!" as we were about to get in the car.

I figured your trick was to get the car buyer to say

Feb 16, 2018, 9:25 AM

"The scary black man sitting next to me is going to beat you up if you don't give us $1500 off the price"

I should have hired you when Sharkgirl was looking for a car

Feb 16, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I'm one of the few people I know who enjoys buying a car. ]

I've really no idea if she got a good deal or not. She was very limited by loan parameters and budget issues.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All you gotta do is ask....

Feb 16, 2018, 9:36 AM

I give free advice to people who want to open a bbq joint in an old gas station on 274.

Ah, but I no of your history, and have admittedly added to

Feb 16, 2018, 9:46 AM

it, of people not taking your advise after you did a fair amount of digging. Being that it was like pulling teeth to get her to look, I could not go down that road. However I am pretty sure that old gas station was on 49.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there are probably websites that can tell you

Feb 16, 2018, 8:50 AM

probably not this one

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Cars should be free***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:11 AM

Re: Cars should be free***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:12 AM

We got peaches for free yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs8G_mY8jE

Re: Cars should be free***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Cars should be free*** ]

We should get rid of all cars and go back to horses.

Feb 16, 2018, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Cars should be free*** ]

And settle all arguments with Colt revolvers.

Thats what the Florida shooter did this week***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:34 AM

too soon***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:48 AM

WRONG.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Thats what the Florida shooter did this week*** ]

No horse, no Colt revolver, and no 10 paces to give his opponent a fair chance to turn and draw.

Feb 16, 2018, 9:51 AM

Check truecar.com or carsdirect.com. I've used both with great success. Carsdirect will give you a guaranteed price and put you in touch with a dealer that will honor it. We did that a number of years back with my wife's Odyssey. Ended up over 5K less than the sticker.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If I ever have to use this baby, I want to teach it to come to Papa in a hurry."

That's about the range my Exploder was in

Feb 16, 2018, 10:19 AM

I paid $38.5. That was a couple of years ago though and different manufacturer. They're all different.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic