Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What if Notre Dame
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

What if Notre Dame

Jun 23, 2012, 9:12 AM

Came into the ACC as a partial member but with the guarantee they would play us and FSU yearly and rotate some other ACC teams? And we cut back to an 8 team schedule?

The game wouldn't count as a conference game for us, but just help out strength of schedule. If the ACC could work out something like that, would you guys that want us to leave for the Big 12 be OK with staying in the ACC?

Each year we would play 8 conf games (including FSU, GT), a 9th with the birds, and a 10th with the Domers.

Not sure how they make the cross over rotations work... any ideas?

Maybe we play 3-4 Atlantic Division guys each year, and rotate the rest to get only 5 Atlantic games, GT yearly, ND yearly (not counting toward conf) and rotate two on the Coastal side?

Schedule something like this:
1,2,3 FSU, NCSU, Maryland (Perm Atlantic Div Foes)
4 GT (Perm Coastal Div Foe)
5,6 Rotate to pick up two of (BC,WF,Syracuse)
7,8 Rotate to pick up two other Coastal Division Foes
9 Notre Dame (not counting toward conference)
10 Chickens
11 Cupcake
12 Cross Conf Foe UGa, Auburn, etc.

Or something like that....

With a yearly schedule like that, we have to be included in any future playoff structure.

ND could keep their yearly match ups with the real USC, Navy, Michigan... who else do they get yearly? Mich State?

Pick a few other yearly ACC opponents (us, FSU for sure, maybe BC/Miami... rotate a game between GT/VT)...

ND gets benefit of conf for Olympic sports, us/FSU get improved SOS...

Workable?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if Notre Dame. NO

Jun 23, 2012, 9:17 AM

THEY either join as full members or they don't. Screw em if they think they are too good for that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone says their NBC contract keeps them tied up...

Jun 23, 2012, 9:23 AM

until 2015 but with the audience size reported from last year I'd say the buyout for that contract would be something they could afford. I agree. All in or screw off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone says their NBC contract keeps them tied up...

Jun 23, 2012, 9:36 AM

Even if it is till 2015... Syracuse and Pitt come in in 2013... just two more years... and when is the new playoff structure going to take place anyways? Isn't that 2015? or 2014?

'14 I'm reading.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:46 AM

That would make the ACC unignorable when it comes to playoff selection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if Notre Dame. NO

Jun 23, 2012, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: What if Notre Dame. NO ]

I really don't think that is the case of being to good. They do have a contract with NBC I believe that is worth a very lot of money. If we were in that very same situation, I don't think that we would say to H&LL with NBC. It is what it is, and they have to do what they have to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also being reported there may be a Big 12 expansion

Jun 23, 2012, 9:35 AM

meeting today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Post,

Jun 23, 2012, 9:18 AM

but the conference schedule is part of the ESPN contract. They wanted( PAID meaning more $$) 9 games.They didn't want to be broadcasting VT vs James Madison.

So I'd guess, only a guess at this point, the 5 year "look in" that's built into the contract would be the first time the 9 game conference schedule could/can be addressed.

Re: Good Post,

Jun 23, 2012, 9:25 AM

Good point... not sure about the contracts that are out there with ND and NBC... but I wonder if ESPN would trade the 9th game for rights to the away ND/ACC cross over games... They would be trading what, seven games (i.e. wouldn't a 9th conf game mean a total of 7 inventory games for ESPN... 14 teams, one extra game... total 7 games) for say for guaranteed cross over games between CU, FSU, Miami, BC?

Maybe ESPN could get rights for at least the away games... that would be a trade of 7 games for 2 (whatever two ACC teams pulled the home game with ND)... make sense?

Why can't the ACC get creative with their scheduling and do something like this that helps our (and FSU) SOS, could make ND happy, all win? What we really want IN THE REALLY LONG RUN is a SOS that guarantee us a shot, right? I mean we also obviously want the money... but if the ACC could retain rights to the home ND games... doesn't that help?

Yeah, we don't have much say in who get in anyway.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:21 AM

ND will totally suck this year through their SOS is high I don't expect them to win more that 7 or 8 games and that's being liberal.

Re: Yeah, we don't have much say in who get in anyway.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:26 AM

sregitog All-American
2992 posts this site
Posted: Today 9:08 AM

RE: ND to the ACC questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rumors everywhere that there's a meeting invite ND this morning as an assoc member to ACC. i still don't see how this changes much as far as $.

do you think swofford can convince the rest of the ACC that they will come aboard as full members after the NBC deal is up?

does it buy swofford more time?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=46&f=3167&t=9087452&p=2

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see any power structure that could unseat our...

Jun 23, 2012, 9:43 AM

lord and defiler.

I think ND is a good fit for the ACC. ND is a diva which will make the conflict between them and the tobacco road crowd more entertaining than the sports programs of either.

don't hate the playa, hate the game.***

Jun 23, 2012, 9:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't see any power structure that could unseat our...

Jun 23, 2012, 9:47 AM [ in reply to I don't see any power structure that could unseat our... ]

LOL too true...

Swoffy may never agree to give something up to Clemson and FSU and at the same time create a rival to the Tobacco Road crew... but it would be fun to watch!

Yeah I'm sure if the ACC invites Notre Dame they are going

Jun 23, 2012, 9:24 AM

to do things that will tick the rest of us off. Won't help things at all unless they become a full member

Re: What if Notre Dame

Jun 23, 2012, 9:24 AM

I guess my biggest problem is still programs like Duke, that provide no added value for football, but suck in the same share of the proceeds. Not saying the B12 has no weak sisters, but none as bad as Duke.

Having said that, ND in the ACC, assuming there is an eventual (not too long, though) path to full football membership, might be enough to keep us viable. Maybe if Duke also exited the ACC for football... Hmmmm...

Yeah just what we need.....................

Aug 19, 2020, 2:15 PM

To be Tobacco Road's stepchild in basketball and Notre Dame's in football.

Re: Yeah just what we need.....................

Jun 23, 2012, 9:39 AM

Hey I hate that just as much as anyone... and agree, don't like that ND gets special treatment... but hey, they are going to get special treatment anywhere they land... even if they come in as a full member (which I don't see them doing if they can squeeze out a way to stay independent).

At least with some proposal like this, it helps us.

No I meant Swofford is going to give them the world to

Jun 23, 2012, 9:41 AM

come in as a partial and that does not even guarantee us that anything will get better. Plus the money gap between us and USC for the next 3 years will really hurt. The ACC is looking out for the ACC NOT Clemson or FSU

Re: No I meant Swofford is going to give them the world to

Jun 23, 2012, 9:45 AM

Well if he gives them too much, maybe we still leave...

Not sure what something like this would mean money wise... maybe not enough.

Just seems Swoffy better be concerned with CU/FSU leaving in order to keep that nice big bucks cushion job.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:49 AM

I think it's just a distraction to try and pacify FSU and Clemson and then we miss out.

Jun 23, 2012, 10:13 AM [ in reply to No I meant Swofford is going to give them the world to ]

That is exactly why FSU and Clemson should bounce at the very first chance we can get. ### swofford, ### the acc, and to H&LL with the acc making one ### dime form us. If you keep feeding the stray dogs and cats. They will continue to get fatter and fatter. And will scratch and bite you even harder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND is a hail of a lot further from the top than Clemson.***

Jun 23, 2012, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Yeah just what we need..................... ]

Jun 23, 2012, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: What if Notre Dame ]

If all the acc basketball schools would work as hard in becoming competitive in FB as we do in being competitive in Basketball. The acc as a whole would be a good all around conference. And we wouldn't be in the acc chit ditch that we're in now. And swofford and the acc BOTs are 100% the WHOLE blame for that. The equal sharing rule is 100% the blame for the Basketball schools not caring about FB. If they, BB schools didn't get any share of the FB money that the FB schools made. You can bet the whole farm that they would be good in FB also. Even a 5th grader can see right through that deal. The equal sharing actually promoted the BB schools not to care about FB. They get an equal share for losing. So why invest in FB.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:26 AM

Haven't you heard the rumors....ND to Big 12 :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2012, 9:35 AM

there's a 'report' on another site from at least 2 big12ish fans that a vote took place and ND was denied partial membership. the 'report' suggests tejas is the only yes vote ND received.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-notre-dames-swarbrick-nothing-to-report-of-big-12-switch-20120620,0,4551897.story

By Brian Hamilton

Tribune reporter

7:53 p.m. CDT, June 20, 2012
First Jack Swarbrick served as stand-in spokesman Wednesday to affirm the consensus on the now-inevitable four-team college football playoff. Then he again affirmed Notre Dame is happy right where it is.

Yes, the Irish will have access to the new championship mechanism as a football independent, a crucial flash point. But, no, the Irish will not shift allegiance of other sports to the Big 12 soon, as a report contended could occur by the end of summer.

"I saw that and I thought (Bob) Bowlsby and I should hold hands up there," Swarbrick joked, alluding to the incoming Big 12 commissioner. "I have no idea what prompted that. It is not based on any discussion, any meeting we have done."

It's treacherous to deal in absolutes in the ever-shifting college football landscape, especially given the ragged state of the Big East. One source said such an arrangement with the Big 12 indeed may have to be an option for Notre Dame — eventually, but not imminently.

"I've said all along that there were three important factors for us," Swarbrick said. "One was the resolution of postseason football, which we are closer to. One is a resolution of our media relationship, which we are in the homestretch of.

"The third is related to the stability of the Big East, which we get more information on every day. In that sense, pieces of that are starting to fall into place, and that will put us in a time and place where we probably take a look at it and decide what we're doing."

Closing a new media deal with NBC, as Swarbrick alluded to, will defog Notre Dame's view on things further. But its position on the most pressing issue — pursuing a national title as an independent — is crystal clear.

"Our interest was ensuring we had an opportunity to play ourselves into any championship model, and we do," Swarbrick said. "There's no obstacle to that for us. If we earn it, we can play in it."

Jun 23, 2012, 9:43 AM

I like it in the sense that it is an improvement upon the status quo.

An alternative in the extremis would be for Clemson to go independent. If we really are the rainmaker for the conference, we would be better off getting all the TV revenue for our home games.

Downside is there would be no conference championship to play for.

Intermediate fix could be to reduce number of conference games to 6 or 7 and leave the enlarged non conference schedule to generate more Clemson TV $$.

Also, if TV revenue is so important, why do we play Ball State and Furman???

Ball State has no place on our schedule.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:50 AM

I can understand Furman as our state legislature "wants' this to help the smaller in state schools out with the $$$. We need no more than one of these a year and should keep to and in state school.

Re: Ball State has no place on our schedule.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:51 AM

You can't have a full schedule of powerhouses. 1 local school and then 1 mid-american lower tier is fine. Plus you need those 2 home games and most of the other big time schools are only looking for home games and would not come to Clemson anyway.

Jun 23, 2012, 9:58 AM

What will hurt ya'll schedule will be when the ACC goes to 9 conference games. That leaves 3 out of conference games (one will be Carolina of course). The other two will be a Wofford, Furman, etc. and other will be a small D-1 school with the exception of playing a UGA, etc. every now and then.

Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Ball State has no place on our schedule. ]

I understand that you dont want to play powerhouses every game, but I would like for every opponent to have an institutional chance such that if their program is peaking and ours is at a nadir that we would be thrilled to win the game, and not mortified to lose it.

Every BCS team (including Duke) meets this test plus teams like Houston, ECU, Tulsa, Rice, SMU, and Marshall.

I am not familiar with a law that requires Clemson to play a SC cupcake. Sounds like a stupid law, but I guess it is better to play PC than Western State. (Western State is in Gunnison Colorado and was on Nebraska's schedule a few years ago)

That is nothing unique to every college team in America.....

Jun 23, 2012, 10:02 AM

they all schedule that way.

I'd rather play Ball State than Furman. At least Ball St. is

Jun 23, 2012, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Ball State has no place on our schedule. ]

1A school, vs. 1AA Furman.

Jun 23, 2012, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Ball State has no place on our schedule. ]

Can someone offer a link to the "law" that requires Clemson to play a SC cupcake?

It doesnt seem likely that there is succ a law based on:

1) Animus generated by proposal last year to mandate Clemson USCjr game last year.
2) Most of these SC cupcakes are private schools (wofford, furman, PC, etc)

There's no law but a "want to".

Jun 23, 2012, 10:53 AM

Every time someone states that the legislature "wants" Clemson and South Carolina , someone claims there is no law. No ones claims there is a law, there is no law.

But how long do you think that the 2 big institutions of this state could ignore them wanting us to schedule these smaller in state schools(some of these schools make more $$ for that game than their entire home gate for the year)before they start cutting money they send to CU/USuC and send it to the smaller schools?

Re: There's no law but a "want to".

Jun 23, 2012, 3:51 PM

"Want" into one hand and **** into the other and see which one fills up first.

Clemson scheduling needs to do what is best for Clemson.

Jun 23, 2012, 3:56 PM

cupcake before coots

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's one thing Slive has really done well.

Jun 23, 2012, 4:01 PM

He gives his teams a cupcake before rival week.

Jun 23, 2012, 4:05 PM

ND holds your fate !

add Louisville or Penn State

Louisville will be on the rise with Strong.

Penn State ????

could do 4 team pods with nd playing the 3 teams
in that pod.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic