Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What if Clemson had won at Wake Forest in 2008?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

What if Clemson had won at Wake Forest in 2008?

Sep 10, 2020, 10:18 AM

https://www.independentmail.com/story/sports/2020/09/10/clemson-football-loss-wake-forest-altered-paths-bowden-swinney/5740227002/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if Clemson had won at Wake Forest in 2008?

Sep 10, 2020, 10:32 AM

I've always said the best thing that ever happened to clemson football.... and the turning point was the devastating loss to BC in 2007. If we won that game and went to play for ACC championship Bowden would have stayed in 2008 no matter what. IMO

Sep 10, 2020, 10:45 AM

It was just a matter of time. If not this game, perhaps the next one. TB had run his course. Clemson has been very fortunate to have great athletic directors. We still do.

Sep 10, 2020, 10:54 AM

True, but if he had beaten WF he probably would have limped through until the end of the year. Then there is no interim audition period for Coach Swinney to demonstrate the excitement, organizational skills and potential to TDP.

Then TDP does a proper search after the end of the regular season and ends up with Muschamp! Oh, what a fateful loss in Winston Salem.

Sep 10, 2020, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: What if Clemson had won at Wake Forest in 2008? ]

Yeah, lets assume that Bowden did beat BS and then followed to lose to VT (again) in the ACC CG. Then beat Mich State. You would have a 11-3 Bowden team. Yikes.

The other thing, I think that the 2008 Bama game followed up with a horrible showing against Maryland at home was more dooming for Tommy. WF was just the exclamation point to a conclusion already made. Even if we beat WF, I could see a bad showing with Duke or at Virginia resulting in the same conclusion.

Well we would've lost to Michigan State

Sep 10, 2020, 11:02 AM

so there's that.

Re: Well we would've lost to Michigan State

Sep 10, 2020, 11:33 AM

Naw, the MSU 07 squad was not very strong. It was Dantonio first season and while being bowl eligible was a big step, they were still a bottom B10 team then. While I don't doubt Tommy's ability to lay a stinker, our D would have snubbed MSU.

Weren't we talking about 2008?

Sep 10, 2020, 1:03 PM

They went 9-4 and 6-2 in the Big Ten.

Re: Weren't we talking about 2008?

Sep 10, 2020, 1:29 PM

2007 was the BC Atlantic Div. showdown meeting. MSU was either 3-5 or 2-6 but won their OOC games to get a bowl bid against MSU that year,.

Re: Weren't we talking about 2008?

Sep 10, 2020, 1:30 PM

* won their OOC against Notre Dame *

Oh right. I was getting your hypothetical mixed up

Sep 10, 2020, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Weren't we talking about 2008? ]

with the OPs.

I was at that BC game in 2007. That was the most intense

Sep 10, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: What if Clemson had won at Wake Forest in 2008? ]

feeling of pressure to win that I have felt before and during a game. It was palpable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2020, 11:00 AM

Bowden as good cop worked well with Rich's bad cop. Once Rich left it just was not as good. Ok but not great

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel confident that Bowden would've still managed to get

Sep 10, 2020, 11:00 AM

himself fired pretty quickly. The huge question is obviously whether or not Dabo gets promoted to interim if Bowden gets fired at some later date.

Re: I feel confident that Bowden would've still managed to get

Sep 10, 2020, 11:04 AM

I think Dabo had impressed enough he would have still gotten it at a later time. There was a lot of positive buzz around him. Of course if he only got a couple of games as interim they might not have given him the HC job

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the dangerous scenario was mentioned by somebody

Sep 10, 2020, 1:04 PM

above. If Bowden had managed to limp his way through the season and gotten fired at the end, Dabo would've never become interim and he may not have been given a serious look during the off-season coaching search.

But we didn't win***

Sep 10, 2020, 11:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Hush yo' mouf!***

Sep 10, 2020, 11:30 AM

Re: Hush yo' mouf!***

Sep 10, 2020, 11:42 AM

If dabo list to usuc i dont think he would Had gotten the hc job. We might have gotten will muschamp. Hot name back then

Yep. That game saved him and us.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:57 AM

I remember some students at the time wanting Muschamp. I've always wondered what they think about their choice now.

Bowden would've been fired at the end of that season anyway

Sep 10, 2020, 11:48 AM

IMO.

I think we still would've lost to GT, FSU, and I think split road trips at BC and UVA. Assuming we beat USC that would've put Bowden at 7-5. Considering we came into that season a top 10 team and favorite to win the conference, I think he would've been canned at the end of the season, even with a win over the Gamecocks.

The real "what if" game from the end of his tenure is the 2007 BC game (where Aaron Kelly dropped the long pass at the end of the game). If we had won that game we would've won the Division for the first time. I think if Bowden had the Division Title monkey off his back he would've had enough equity to survive the '08 season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2020, 11:55 AM

Would have lost the next one for sure. That's the way it was back then. Up and Down every week.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic