Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 144
| visibility 1

What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about?

Dec 22, 2018, 8:58 PM

I usually do this thread about once every five years and it turns into a solid thread of Clemson memories. It becomes one of my favorite things on Tnet.

So let's hear what you have!

Here's mine:

-The Clemson House Barbershop (Dennis's father owned it, then Dennis, then Joe). They used to shave the best high and tight in upstate SC! ...and just for $8.

-Explorers Bar's Plutonium Wings. The hottest things you've ever had. $10 for six wings, but if you ate them all, they were free. You had to sign a waiver saying you haven't been drinking, that you wouldn't touch anything in the restaurant, and that you wouldn't sue if you died. They would paper the tables and give you paper cups of water so you wouldn't use their cups and get wing sauce on them. I remember kissing my girlfriend a week after I ate them and she ran to the kitchen to get water because her mouth was on fire.

-Hardees across from Littlejohn. It wasn't five star dining, but always came up clutch in times of need.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That Chanelo's hamburger sub...whatever it was called***

Dec 22, 2018, 9:19 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That Chanelo's hamburger sub...whatever it was called***

Dec 22, 2018, 9:20 PM

versuvian (sp?) steak

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the Versuvian Sub***

Dec 23, 2018, 12:03 AM [ in reply to That Chanelo's hamburger sub...whatever it was called*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about?

Dec 22, 2018, 9:19 PM

Nick the Greeks was the ONLY place where you could enjoy an adult beverage in my day. The ESSO Club was a garage/service station. Dans was the place to eat downtown and had the only color tv in the county! I had my very first pizza in Bolton’s soon after arriving on campus. It was unreal! I was in Clemson for four years and saw ONE movie in the downtown theater (later became Ibrahim’s). Never was a movie goer but did see Judgment at Nurenburg there. But the one thing today’s student will likely never get to experience is a basketball game like we had in the old field house.

Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about?

Dec 22, 2018, 9:24 PM

25 cent movies at the Y.. free concerts at the amphitheater (saw lester flatt there).. "rolling" the trees after a TH night pep rally.. panty raids... X rated movies at the clemson theater late Fri nites... late night food runs to the "canteen"

Dec 22, 2018, 9:33 PM

Clemson guys today will never know what life was like with no wimmens around! But it sure was easier to concentrate on your studies!

You can’t top this!!!!!!!!!

Dec 23, 2018, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

Oh yes I remember that free concert in the amphitheatre with Flatt and Scruggs!

Dec 23, 2018, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

We must be about the same age, I had the same experiences. How about “Streaking”!!??

Dec 24, 2018, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

Jane Fonda getting booed at the Ampitheater. Sunday entertainment at Fike field house (Ferrante & Teicher on the grand pianos). Excellent professors. Living in, at the time, the new high rises after living in the tin cans the year before. Wednesday all you can eat italian at the Sheridan. Rabbit Martin. Ike and Tina Turner performing in the quadringle. Jinny Hendrix music pouring out of a window on the west side of the tin cans. Three dog night. Homecoming weekends. Really bad football losses in Frank’s final years. Beating Maryland on a cold, rainny day and being able to sit in the best seats cause almost no one was there. Watching Dicky Foster give his all in losses at File field house.

Yep to all of that. In the old field house, the students

Dec 24, 2018, 12:19 AM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

were literally almost on the playing surface. If you sat on the first row and stuck your legs out, they would be on the court. Refs would come over and get our feet back. The noise in there was stupendous.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Star Trek on b/w TV

Dec 22, 2018, 9:30 PM

at the Red Carpet Lounge on Thursday afternoons... the pool hall behind Dan's... Hoke Sloan's Men's Shop next door to Dans... great memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does anybody remember...

Dec 22, 2018, 9:38 PM

....”the hungry number”. From the early 80’s.

654-6990

Dec 22, 2018, 10:43 PM

how can you ever forget that number?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 654-6990

Dec 23, 2018, 7:45 PM

Student locater???

I worked at Student Locater for beer money...***

Dec 23, 2018, 8:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I worked at Student Locater for beer money...***

Dec 23, 2018, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: 654-6990 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 9:34 PM

Not sure how great they were, but back in the day the Greek parties in the quad were supposedly wild and fun. I got to Clemson after the school cracked down on those though.

Dec 22, 2018, 9:34 PM

C-House buffet on Sunday after church let out.

Drill at 1610 every Thursday rain or shine.

He!! week for the P/R's and Scabbard and Blade in October--hazing on the Quad at noon every day.

Standing in line for Home football Tickets all week if you were an underclassman.

125 people watching AFL football on Sunday afternoon in the lounge above the Loggia.

Coats and ties to Football Games and corsages for your date.

CDA Dance Week-ends.

Hall Hockey in the "Cans" at midnight.

Dec 22, 2018, 9:35 PM

How about something more recent? The fun of knocking the Coots out of bowl eligibility and a winning season at the same time. We had them come into our game at 5-6 a few times and we took them out. But now thanks to a weak SEC and Coot cupcake scheduling they're almost guaranteed to meet us with 6 wins no matter how much they suck.

Dec 22, 2018, 9:43 PM

CHouse Barbershop for sure (how soon before they don't even know what CHouse was?)

Explorers in general, but definitely those plutonium wings.

The quirks of living in Johnstone.

The 'stro.

College Avenue when it was almost all small businesses and not corporate entities.

Dec 23, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

Well the title reads what today’s students will never experience. Don’t hijaxk the thread, if you were too young to attend then, then listen to what your fellow Tigers experienced BEFORE you cane along

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 22, 2018, 9:39 PM

$1 milkshakes from the AG building, late night cookie break at Harcombe, quad treatment, the "tin cans" ( Johnstone)

Dec 22, 2018, 9:45 PM

Cookie break...just a part of what turned my freshman fifteen into a freshman fifty.

Soap and suds

Dec 22, 2018, 9:48 PM

$0.39 per pound fluff and fold

At first, I would go over there and do my laundry. Then I went over and drank beer and shot pool while they did my laundry for me. Then I went to fluff and fold. Ah...good times!

What about FLASH at parties? I assume that is now a thing of the past.

Also, 12:01 parties.

DAN’s Burgers in space a door or two west of Subway.

Dec 22, 2018, 9:57 PM

What a guy who loved serving Clemson & students.

If broke he’d take an IOU, i heard.

Remember the kitchen fire and day later he was open for biz outside on the sidewalk!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DAN’s Burgers in space a door or to west of Subway.

Dec 23, 2018, 7:21 AM

Dan's was awesome and you are correct about getting a burger and drink and coming back in and paying for it when money came from home. Did it many times. On game day, Dan could flat out get that grill going and serve a lot of hamburgers. Game day was a really good time at Clemson. I graduated in 1962.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 9:58 PM

Dairy Queen only fast food place in Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Astro***

Dec 22, 2018, 10:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Dec 22, 2018, 10:05 PM

The Mini Mall down from Hardee's across from Littlejohn. Had a great pizza place, a mini movie theater, a bar and some other things I can't remember.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:34 PM

Taco Tico

null

Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about?***

Dec 22, 2018, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

Dec 22, 2018, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

Sourdough’s Deli

Dec 22, 2018, 10:07 PM

A Danny Ford from Chanelos

Beer Trucks at Greek Fest

Sportmans Special at Awful Waffle

Milkshakes from Ag Sales before class

Standing in line to drop or add a class

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A “Late Show” at the old Clemson Theater on Friday nite!

Dec 22, 2018, 10:13 PM

Hilarious to think back on the soft-core stuff that used to pack the place with several hundred male students after the regular 9 pm feature was over.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A “Late Show” at the old Clemson Theater on Friday nite!

Dec 22, 2018, 11:54 PM

And the comments during said "X" rated movies by the all male student clientele were the best part.
How about polishing brass and spit shining shoes of upper classmen as a rat....
How about thumbing a ride home to Greenwood SC with a hall mate from New Jersey with a rat hat on....Took 5 hours
How about driving over to Sky Valley Ga. after classes to go skiing
Especially how about never having a winning season while a student at CU(68-72)!!!!

Dec 22, 2018, 10:14 PM

Bash Riprocks
Chanelos
Seeing Drivin and Cryin play a lot at Edgar’s on campus
Cheap bowling

Dec 22, 2018, 10:16 PM

Wow..great thread...

...nickel beer at Red Carpet
...Capris
...Dixie Days
...Y barn parties-Doug Clark,Tams,Chairman of the Board....
...Lester's and Bengal Huddle
...Food fights in Harcombe
.."mystery meat"served at Harcombe(I know sounds bad)
...Streaking
...Study Hall pizza
...Sugar Shack
...Frosty Bouknight
...BN Skardon for English....HERO!!
..knowing Banks McFadden,Capt Jervey,Fred Cone,Dean Cox,RC...all legends

There are SO many great memories!!

Dec 23, 2018, 3:03 AM

Seeing Banks Mc Fadden's beautiful daughters in church.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

Remember “Way out Wayne”?? Always hanging out on campus, especially at Amplitheater concerts?

Dec 22, 2018, 10:21 PM

Bengal Ball

Dec 22, 2018, 10:40 PM

-Friday night "all you can eat" fried fish at HoJo at jct of Hwy 93 and 123. Closed now. They list a lot of money that night.
-Getting monthly credit at Crawford's Grocery. God bless Mrs. Crawford.
-Saturday 8am classes.
- ROTC drill every Thursday afternoon
- Playing touch football at 10pm on Riggs field before the renovation when it was just a muddy field
- Watching a crazy rat shoot his 22 in his tin can dorm room. He had a homemade silencer and a 1ft thick stack of magazines in a box that was his "shooting range."
-Dating one of the 200-300 coeds in the late 1960s.
-Thumbing a ride to Winthrop
-Paying your buddy $1 gas money for a ride to Rock Hill -one way
- Being one of 100 students in Chem 101 lecture.
-Being one of 100 students in Engineering Physics 101
-Having Dr. Klevguard for World History. He gave a quiz every Sat morning at 8am. If you cut his class you were not allowed to make up the quiz so you got a zero.
-Freshman English 101- We wrote a theme paper every class in a blue book. You got an automatic "F" if you had one misspelled word or a single grammatical error.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 10:47 PM

#### a doodle do,
#### a doodle do,
Carolina Gamecocks
To hell withyou!

Dec 22, 2018, 10:50 PM

Nightly Dilly Bars at Dairy Queen on Hwy 93. We walked there so we worked off the calories, not really.

Dec 24, 2018, 6:51 AM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

Chem classes at Brackett the last year it was the Chem building. Fred Lindstrum, Fanning, Hobson, Brown, Savitisky. Byerline(sp), Bishops, ACH, Wet Chemistry labs with very little instrumental analysis. Computer science with punch card decks. Grades posted by student ID # outside of classroom. Classes scheduled in buildings do far apart that you couldn’t run fast enough not to be late. Moving from old library to new. Moving from Fike to Littlejohn. (Last game at fike, first game at Littlejohn).

Dec 24, 2018, 8:58 AM

Today's Clemson students will never know the joy that came with the first bowl win in almost 20 years the way folks around in 1978 new it. The newbies will never know how good that first win over Ohio State or Notre Dame or Oklahoma felt. New students will never know the good feelings that came with beating Woody Hayes, Dan Devine, Tom Osborn, Vince Dooley, Joe Paterno, Paul Dietzel, Barry Switzer, Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier, all national championship coaches who were felled by the Clemson Tigers.

Dec 28, 2018, 10:16 AM

Amen. The expectations have changed now. No more days of being happy with a NC win or losing to Wake at homecoming

Tiger Rag without the woo-hoo***

Dec 22, 2018, 10:24 PM

Re: Tiger Rag without the woo-hoo***

Dec 22, 2018, 10:27 PM

not sure I have ever heard a woo hoo in tiger rag??

Fight ###### - Fight Fight

Dec 22, 2018, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Tiger Rag without the woo-hoo*** ]

d

null

I still do that one***

Dec 23, 2018, 9:12 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 10:25 PM

Johnstone’s community showers.......yuck

Message was edited by: Phideaux®

Dec 22, 2018, 10:33 PM

Capris Italian restaurant downtown

The Library Club

Lamar's

No Upper decks and aluminum bleachers in the west endzone at DV

Dec 23, 2018, 10:47 AM

The Corporation
The original Study Hall
Being the Clemson Theatre ticket girl
Toga parties
The stump (meeting place) behind the football dorm

Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about?***

Dec 23, 2018, 12:10 PM

I remember sneaking out of Mauldin to meet you at the stump!

Dec 23, 2018, 12:32 PM

And, now, forty years later, we have found our way back to each other...a True Tiger Love Story! Roarrrr!!! Tiger Love!!!

Dec 22, 2018, 10:28 PM

C-L-E-M-S-O-N

T-I-G-E-RRRRRRRRR-S.

Fight Tigers, Fight D@mnit...Fight, Fight

Dec 22, 2018, 10:31 PM

Cadence Count done correctly

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Streak and Movies at The Y - Holtzendorf***

Dec 22, 2018, 10:40 PM

null

Dec 22, 2018, 10:41 PM

Tiger Tales...

Dec 22, 2018, 10:52 PM

I had to scroll way too far to find this...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For me.... it is Keith Street

Dec 22, 2018, 10:42 PM

Loved that place

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For me.... it is Keith Street

Dec 22, 2018, 11:15 PM

Same here! That was my #1 place to eat! Man I miss that place. I would add the following things from my days:

-Getting a milkshake from the Ag Building after my marketing class in Newman
-IPTAY collegiate club having center court tickets for basketball
-Manifest CDs
-tiger rag without the freaking woo hoo
-Cadence count done correctly without the freaking woo at the end and at the right speed
-Washington Post played before games
-Rockhoppers

Great times 97-01!

Re: For me.... it is Keith Street

Dec 23, 2018, 12:30 AM

Trivia night at Rockhoppers... Every. Single. Thursday.

Yes!

How about...

Dec 23, 2018, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: For me.... it is Keith Street ]

... great times from '67 to '71! Gotcha beat by 30 years. Great memories.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:50 PM

Slum beach, behind Esso Club

that the steam tunnels once were inhabited by

Dec 22, 2018, 10:52 PM

mutated alligators that were irradiated while swimming near the Oconee nuclear station during a radiation release. Those alligators were finally killed in some cut footage from Blade Trilogy. Sad, really. They were way more interesting and touristy than Hanover House.

The more mundane cool stuff includes that the library used to have a smoking room, which was really nifty.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:56 PM

Cool thread, brings backs memories from things already mentioned...

Hardee’s, the Astro, 12:01’s, upper quad frat parties (I lived in Wanamaker); Edgar’s (even though no one went there).

How about the harcombe preacher, the mail room, time out deli, and there was some after hours “club” that you needed a membership to to party after midnight...Can’t Remember the name, was on 123 near the jail.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:33 PM

I lived in wannamaker as nonfrat freshman in 85. Was that your time frame?

Dec 23, 2018, 12:10 PM

??? Wannamaker was definitely SAE/KA from 83-88...there were epic quad parties in those days.

Dec 23, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: What great thing about Clemson will Clemson students of today never know about? ]

vfral1 said:

Cool thread, brings backs memories from things already mentioned...

Hardee’s, the Astro, 12:01’s, upper quad frat parties (I lived in Wanamaker); Edgar’s (even though no one went there).

How about the harcombe preacher, the mail room, time out deli, and there was some after hours “club” that you needed a membership to to party after midnight...Can’t Remember the name, was on 123 near the jail.

Are you thinking about Doug's Place for the after hours club? Stayed open past Midnight on Saturday. I believe it was $5 or $10 for a year membership. It was under Lamars where Tiger Sports shop is today.

Dec 23, 2018, 12:11 PM

Yep, I think thats it. Too many kamikaze's there have clouded my memory.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:00 PM

35 cent can beer on Thursdays at Bullwinkles
Drinking legally at 18 on campus at Edgars (below Student Union)
Shooting water ballons from atop Johnstone B with surgical slingshot
Bengal Ball beer bash at Y-Beach

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You could have a great night at Bollwinkles with a $5 bill.

Dec 23, 2018, 9:16 AM

Pay $1 to get in then way too many 35 cent beers. Ah, the memories, and lack there of!

Dec 22, 2018, 11:03 PM

Getting to this thread late but so many great memories already mentioned. One that wasn’t:
A date for football weekends meant Friday night, Saturday for the game and the party after. Tough if it wasn’t a good date and awesome if it was!

Tiger Rag

Dec 22, 2018, 11:04 PM

Without the whoo hooo...

Those dang wings almost killed me.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:16 PM

I thought the waiver was kind of a cute joke.

It wasn’t.

Re: Those dang wings almost killed me.

Dec 23, 2018, 12:33 AM

My buddy's face was so swollen after that night we drove him to the hospital.

I swear I always see hot items advertised on TV and think that there's no way it can touch the Plutonium Wings at Explorers.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:19 PM

Hanging out in Lesters and winning beers playing the bowling game pinball machine.
Buzz cuts and Rat Hats. Hitchhiking to Charleston after 11 am Saturday class.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:27 PM

Bengal Ball
Sunday Dinner at Clemson House
The REAL C-L-E-M in cadence count
Basketball games without J Dew

Dec 23, 2018, 12:33 AM

Being a Rat.
-buzz cut
-serving upper class men
-singing during dining hall time
-wearing a Rat hat
-the look of disgust from my girlfriend when I first came home with a Rat haircut.
-the life lessons from serving upperclassmen

Dec 23, 2018, 8:51 PM

Basketball games in Fike. The inbound line was very close to the first row of bleachers where the football players sat. During the game the football players would reach out and pull the leg hairs of the opposing team.
Naturally the opponent objected but the football players were too quick for the refs to see their actions. Frank Standard, a U5C jr starter from NJ, challenged our guys to step onto the court and fight. Bad call because Frank was about 6'2" and weighed maybe 190. He would have been killed. It was fun to watch. Refs never caught them.

Dec 23, 2018, 12:37 AM

Go-Go Girls at The Red Carpet Lounge.

Also, The Study Hall, where you could drink and tell your parents that you were at The Study Hall all night.

Does NOBODY appreciate Rat Season? Seeing who could part their hair first? They need to bring that tradition back.

And please tell me the food is better now than in the late 60's.

Hitchhiking a ride back to G'ville. Do people still do that? What an experience that was.

Sitting on the ledges of Johnstone Hall when the buses from Winthrop (Girls School) arrived on the Quad.

Dec 23, 2018, 12:42 AM

Did anyone here go to Tigertails?

Me neither. ??

Dec 23, 2018, 1:31 AM

Johnstone's open door policy. If your dorm room door was closed you either weren't there, studying, or otherwise occupied. Mostly your door was open for anyone to stop in and hang out. Doors now are auto closing fire doors, our son and his roommate met no-one on their floor.

A less developed campus of 10k-ish students

A ton of things to do for free, or nearly free. Even a pauper like me could afford to date. As mentioned before, Taco Tico 4 for a buck, 25 cent beer night twice a week, free concerts like Lester Flatts (awesome), no PC, no being snuck into the girls dorm after hours, and so many more already mentioned.

Betty's Lounge and the 123 Truckstop***

Dec 23, 2018, 1:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great thread.....A lot of which brings back

Dec 23, 2018, 3:50 AM

great memories.

I'll bet today's students will never experience the "Rat s... Bat s..." cheer on the quad with coeds lining the loggia rails, clapping and cheering. lol

TigerTails***

Dec 23, 2018, 5:38 AM

Wasn’t there an explosion at the amphitheater movie

Dec 23, 2018, 6:46 AM

Back in ‘84?

Regardless-
- movies at the amphitheater
- free Sunday night movies at the Y
- students booing if cartoon wasn’t played before the movie at the Y
- Edgar’s bar in first floor of loggia
- no doors on bathroom stalls in Johnstone
- being able to knock phone off hook in someone’s room from outside in the hall
- gun racks in dorm room
- Clemson house breakfast
- $1 ag shake
- pick up basketball games outside johnstone and Clemson house

Re: Wasn’t there an explosion at the amphitheater movie

Dec 23, 2018, 8:12 AM

It was 1985 for the pipe bomb during a Rocky horror picture show at ampitheater. Was there and my roommate gave first responder aid to the student that had his leg mangled in the explosion. Rough first week of school as a freshman.

The "Tin Cans"***

Dec 23, 2018, 7:11 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "Tin Cans"***

Dec 23, 2018, 11:09 AM

Putting a towel under your door to keep the smell of weed in? And covering the vent above the door.

Throwing water from the hall cooler on your buds when they were showering in the community shower.

Hall water fights - hall usually ended up flooded.

The “Three Man Lift”. With the shaving cream surprise for the victim

Tossing shaving cream “bombs” in hallmates room.

Throwing bottlerockets at the fire station across the street.

Shortsheeting beds

Ah, good times in mid-70s

Dec 23, 2018, 7:51 AM

Living in the pre fabs and the original tiger rag

Dec 23, 2018, 8:10 AM

When the present SC 93 was US 123 and all fraffic came through the middle of town.

The only traffic light in Clemson was at SC 93 & College Ave.

The announcement that the power was off at the old Ice Cream bldg. and come get ice cream only to fine it was a joke.

When Mell Hall was the Clemson Post Office.

When the Methodist Church and Elementary School both burned down within a couple of days.

When the Tiger Tavern was located in the basement of the Clemson House.

When Harvey Gantt entered Clemson.

When there was no Hartwell Lake at Clemson's door step.

When the University infirmary was in a wood building.

When there were small houses for veterans

When many faculty members lived in university owned houses on the campus.

When Uncle Bill Greenlee was a regular in Clemson with his horse & wagon and about six dogs following him.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2018, 8:22 AM

Everyone is always telling Joe, as he should, to write down his memories. You guys should too. Clemson will never be that school you went to again. It should be fun fir your guys to write all of your memories and gather others. There are thousands of Clemson fans that would love to purchase said book and read about Clemson in the early days

The Clayton House

Dec 23, 2018, 8:21 AM

Circa 1972

Tiger Den and Bengal Huddle in 1970’s out on 123.

Dec 23, 2018, 8:26 AM

Where the Ace Hardware is now.

Best bar and date nightclub at the time!

Army ROTC sez "Take No Prisoners" sign in DV***

Dec 23, 2018, 8:27 AM

Old House Restaurant between Seneca and Walhalla

Dec 23, 2018, 8:47 AM

Anyone go to Old House Restaurant-
Between Seneca and Wahalla- in an
Old house behind a church-
Sometime between 75 and 80,
Real good all you can eat

the Comfort of knowing you’ll always have a seat in the

Dec 23, 2018, 8:47 AM

South stands for a football game

Tailgating at Explorer’s...

Dec 23, 2018, 8:53 AM

When I was there (00-05) Explorers would sell their parking spots for $500 for the season. My roommate’s folks would buy a spot and then a bunch of us would pool our money and buy the spot next to them. We’d pull a truck in one spot and the spot beside it was open for tents/grills/tables/chairs etc. The servers from Explorers would work the tailgating spots also so you could order their wings.

One day an ambulance wheeled into the parking lot and brought someone out on a stretcher. Apparently the guy was fine but he tried eating the Plutonium wings and passed out.

Also: The Astro, Todaro’s stuffed pizza, Columbo's calzones, and the days when Schilletter was considered the premiere dining option on campus.

Re: Tailgating at Explorer’s...

Dec 23, 2018, 9:27 AM

Johnstone Hall before A/C, one phone on the each hall in the phone booth, the bum lines by Sikes Hall, Tiger band starting Saturday Morning practice for Home football games under F overpass, the Red carpet opening the curtain at 5 PM so the whole place became a bar, required ROTC drills, Frank Howard talking on TV with the voice of a gravel truck, Charlie Scott playing for UNC at Littlejohn, Packing the bleachers in the lower level of Littlejohn with Locke's Loonies, watching David Angel taking Tom Burlison one on one from the top of the key, no upper decks, CDA season pass that got you into concerts and dances for 10 dollars each semester, The Association, Frank Valli and the Four Seasons, Jerry Butler the upper and lower Quads, Rat Season, a can of beer 5 cents less a can at Scotties, dancers at the Red Carpet, key punching cards to use the computer system having a typewriter, seeing the first HP hand calculator that cost the guys father $450 in 1973, "Mother ending the TV viewing above the Loggia at 11 PM the Vulture club at Martin Hall, all females living on the East Campus, classes 5 and a half a week, Rat season lasting until the first Football victory, the Bob Jones students trying to hand out brochures in front of Johnstone to students stumbling back from Downtown on Fri. or Sat. night.

The small triangular building in the intersection of 93 and

Dec 23, 2018, 9:06 AM

College Avenue. Had a Sub Station II in it I believe. Sure made that turn a lot sharper!

Rose and Elnora, the cafeteria workers in Harcombe. Rose

Dec 23, 2018, 9:29 AM

would talk to herself and Elnora always had a scowl on her face like she hated being there.

The buletin board below the dining hall where students with

Dec 23, 2018, 9:50 AM

cars placed notes telling when they were leaving for weekend destinations such as Winthrop College or their hometown and the price they would take to give you a ride. Usually just a couple of dollars. Very few of us had cars in the 60's.

Dec 23, 2018, 10:22 AM

Whirls Sing a Long, Sunbathing on ledges at Johnstone, Mike man in DV, Acropolis Pizza, 25 cent pitchers at TTT, kegs at Plez-U, Kudzu kids and other great things from 1984-1988! Go Tigers!!!

That the Esso Club used to be... .

Dec 23, 2018, 10:27 AM

a real gas station. When I was a freshman, we used to walk down there and buy a few six-packs (yes, you could buy beer when you were 18 then) and then walk just up the road to the Hardee's and then take everything back to our rooms in The Cans (aka Johnstone Hall - mine was on E4).

Dan's and rat classes

Dec 23, 2018, 10:37 AM

Dan's was a greasy spoon restaurant right on the corner, next to where PSOB is located.
Best burgers and fries anywhere. You placed your order and walked down the line and picked
it up at the end of the row.

Being a rat was a truly unique experience. You all had shaved heads, you all wore orange
beanie caps, and you had a blast. Sure, the upper classmen had you do their bidding ( like
making a Dan's run for late night snacks and polishing shoes), but it was a time when you could
get away with murder also. After the Thursday night pep rallys, it was either travel in a mob
to the girl's dorms for a panty raid, or head downtown to the Red Carpet lounge or Study Hall.

Ahh, good times....

tigercee

Dec 23, 2018, 11:01 AM

The hitchin’ post in front of Sikes. Hitchhiking anywhere...with a knife in one boot and a bag of weed in the other

Frosty Bouknight (Public Finance),Root Rutledge (Botany) & DP (“Don’t Pass”) Miller (Physics).

Frosty was a pleasure, the other 2 not so much

Coneross Fish Camp and

Dec 23, 2018, 12:08 PM

Myles and Crenshaws

null

Carrying a computer card program deck over to run on the

Dec 23, 2018, 12:38 PM

mainframe, and while waiting, getting one of those to die for Milkshakes from the Dairy Sciences building. Talk about your sensory overload! :)

Re: Carrying a computer card program deck over to run on the

Dec 23, 2018, 1:46 PM

Season football tickets for $24

Sunbathing between classes on Manning’s roof. Time for class?

Dec 23, 2018, 1:54 PM

No need to shower! Just pull your clothes on over and suit, run to class, then back to your spot after class!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2018, 2:09 PM

Clemson students today will never know what it was like to have only one legendary season to reminisce about.

A jam packed Hill in the midst of repeated 7-5 type seasons.

Dec 23, 2018, 3:08 PM

-Tearing down the goal posts after a huge upset, because: 1. We are rarely in situations at home in which we don’t expect to win these days, 2. The goal posts are no longer permanently affixed.

-How rural everything was, until fairly recently. Kind of wish we could slow down all the development in and around Clemson. I loved how Clemson and its environs were not Athens, Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, etc., but I’m an outdoor type of guy.

-Change is inevitable, but I hope we never lose the soul of the place.

There is something in these hills indeed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Dec 23, 2018, 4:04 PM

Dec 23, 2018, 4:04 PM

The "Super 60" sandwich from the tin cans canteen!

Dec 23, 2018, 4:06 PM

This was a ham, egg, cheese, lettuce and tomato sandwich for 60 cents!! Circa 1968-69.

Re: The "Super 60" sandwich from the tin cans canteen!

Dec 23, 2018, 7:31 PM

$5 Long Island Tea pitchers at University Station.

Panty Raids!!!!!

Dec 23, 2018, 7:49 PM

:)

Dec 23, 2018, 7:52 PM

Harcombe Food Fights

I can still hear the clinks on the glasses signaling the start of an all out war between fraternities. Insane. It would make national news today as an act of terrorism. Still amazed nobody was severely injured.

Dec 23, 2018, 8:10 PM

Harcombe Food Fights

I can still hear the clinks on the glasses signaling the start of an all out war between fraternities. Insane. It would make national news today as an act of terrorism. Still amazed nobody was severely injured.

Mashed potato filled rolls were deadly lol

Dec 23, 2018, 8:08 PM

-Harcomb food fights
-Johnstone B8...'nuff said
-tossing computer punch cards out the windows of Johnstone...after you pulled the name card out
-Thursday night Y movies
-posting the Army ROTZ sex Take No Prisoners banner in the old West end zone
- $1 cover and penny draft nights at Crazy Sacks....even with the small cups you could literally forget what your own name was for $2 on a Tuesday night
-Thursday afternoon Clemson Ranger lab @ 1600
- an unnamed Ranger member, @0630 on a Saturday morning before leaving for a field training exercise, firing a 100 round belt of blanks thru an M60 machine gun in one of the frat quad buildings...and no police were called lol. Try that one nowadays!
-Coeds in front of a section and on Bowman field when spring temps arrived

Dec 24, 2018, 1:10 PM

Throwing the punch cards. We would save them up until the “fit”. Boiling hot dryers. I remember the food fights with umbrellas coming up in the frat section. Getting a dozen rolls. I got hit with a glass so there were injuries but well worth it. I remember two of my buddies under the table and not letting me in. Sorry dude, every man for hinself

+1 great post - Mata Hari at The Bookstore

Dec 23, 2018, 8:34 PM

And yes, Dennis of Clemson House fame cut my hair in the early 80's. He11uva barber!

Dec 23, 2018, 8:45 PM

10 cent draft at bullwinkles
Johnstone
No lights in stadium
Back to back FG attempts to end game vs UGA (Butler vs Iguebuike, I think)
Summer school

1979 - 1984

Dec 23, 2018, 9:01 PM

The Bookstore, The Study Hall, The Corporation, Bull Winkles, and the music mix in those days including R&B Soul from The Spinners, Rick James, The Gap, Beach Music, The B52's, British New Wave, to AC DC to Billy Idol … loved it all! Two or three "fast" songs, one "slow" song, one shaggin' tune … Weds night "drink and drown" (0.10 drafts), Thurs night "slurp and burp" (0.25 long necks), Fri and Sat night mixers and date parties. Too much fun to be legal. Some of the very best years of my life and knew it at the time all too well!

Dec 23, 2018, 9:01 PM

The “pong” tables at the Library.

Dec 23, 2018, 9:07 PM

Womp's bar downtown upstairs, Frat parties on the Quad and living in Johnstone.

Womp's bar downtown upstairs, Frat parties on the Quad and living in Johnstone.

Rat Hats

Dec 23, 2018, 9:11 PM

How can my pulse not be 100% /

Dec 23, 2018, 9:08 PM

Their moms naked in johnstone

Dec 23, 2018, 9:09 PM

Their moms naked in johnstone

Dec 28, 2018, 10:02 AM

Ouch

Dec 23, 2018, 11:30 PM

This has brought back some great memories with some awesome friends!

- Burger night at Niffer’s

- $5 large pizza from Papa John’s

- 2.5 years of allergies from living in Johnstone

- Sitting on the ground at the corner of the West endzone watching us beat the Coots to snap a 3 game losing streak in ‘98.

Dec 24, 2018, 9:01 AM

Brothers burgers

Dec 24, 2018, 9:29 AM

Quad parties....1985.

Message was edited by: tigernation2000

Dec 24, 2018, 9:32 AM

Hanging out in Johnstone
Seeing the Johnstone gun racks from the military cadet days
Charlie T’s Wings
.75 PBRs at the Esso
Easily getting good seats at a football game

Because of someone in an administrative position somewhere -

Dec 24, 2018, 9:36 AM

The Hill.

The real/actual Tiger Rags!!***

Dec 24, 2018, 9:50 AM

JIM PHILLIPS PLAY BY PLAY!!!***

Dec 24, 2018, 9:53 AM

Head Cheerleader Randy Jackson predicting (maybe causing)

Dec 24, 2018, 12:02 PM

opponents fumbles with uncanny accuracy from the sidelines. Also, old time cheers that you never hear anymore, like "Bust his a$$, Bust his a$$, BUST HIS A$$!"

Also, holding the world streaking record (for one night!)

Dec 24, 2018, 1:05 PM

When all of the USA was a free speech zone, especially Clemson, SC

Dec 28, 2018, 10:30 AM

Dr. Knox Landers for Chemisry 101 & 102. He bought all my beer at Tiger Den several times. People gave him Hell, but he was a cool guy.

Replies: 144
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic