Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those of you that use roku, hulu, netflix or some other
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

For those of you that use roku, hulu, netflix or some other

May 9, 2017, 9:01 AM

alternate form of cable tv. How exactly does it work? How much does it cost? What channels can do you get? and can you still watch football games? Thanks for helping a rookie out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is an informative website that is easy to understand...

May 9, 2017, 9:06 AM

https://www.groundedreason.com/cable-tv-alternatives/

Sling TV is one option for getting ESPN & ESPN2.

I believe that was written before YouTube TV came out. It's another option:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Thank you***

May 9, 2017, 9:11 AM

i use SlingTV

May 9, 2017, 11:34 AM [ in reply to This is an informative website that is easy to understand... ]

but there are other options too:

Playstation VUE---you don't need a playstation, you can use this on Roku or other devices.

YouTube TV

Hulu TV---this is new...not the Hulu itself but that they are offering streaming options on live TV like ESPN, FS1, etc.

DirecTV NOW

this is where everything is going so if I were you I would hop on the streaming option soon. Cable TV is great for some but not for me. I don't want to bundle phone, tv, and internet.

what I do is buy Internet 100mbps but have my own modem (not paying an extra $10/month to use Spectrums). I have an antenna for local TV, but some of the options above include local TV. I pay $5 for the sports to get all the ESPNs. Hulu and YouTube might have a better option with sports however. but with a Roku I cant get those or try free trial yet.

Everyone has their own preference but I've had sling since it came out and it was bumpy at first but I haven't looked back. It is so much better than Cable/Sat . I don't have to rent equipment, I don't have a contract, and I can cancel or change options whenever I want online ( I don't have to talk to a sales rep).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry Bob

May 9, 2017, 11:35 AM

didn't mean to reply to you but to the OP

No problem

May 9, 2017, 12:14 PM

but I felt obliged to RA anyway.

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i use SlingTV

May 10, 2017, 5:03 PM [ in reply to i use SlingTV ]

I had Roku first, and I didn't like near as much as the Fire Stick....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those of you that use roku, hulu, netflix or some other

May 9, 2017, 9:06 AM

I, too, need this info. Thanks for asking.

Netflix doesn't get you other channels.

May 9, 2017, 9:08 AM

It's just Netflix, but if you like their original programming, it's a pretty solid deal. Roku can be a bit of a pain to set up, and if you have a "smart" t.v., you already have apps available for the t.v. that keep you from needing the Roku. My sister uses Sling, and she's fine with it. Cheaper than cable or satellite by far, for the package she gets.

Thanks***

May 9, 2017, 9:12 AM

we literally use 2 rokus, an Amazon FireTV stick and an

May 9, 2017, 9:08 AM

Apple TV for hardware throughout our house.

We have subscriptions with Netflix and Hulu, which I think are now creeping toward $10 a month.

For Sports, we got SlingTV for $20 a month and a Satellite for networks. www.sling.com can break down the channels you get, but I get ACC Network, ESPN ESPN2 and a few others for $20 or $25. I added the $5 to increase the sports channels available for football season.

All of this is per month, you can change, add or remove subscriptions as needed. Typically SlingTV will give you a free Roku or similar offer if you do pay for 3 months in advance one time.

Also - Many will suggest adding Kodi software which is good,

May 9, 2017, 9:10 AM

but be careful if you don't want to venture into the realm of illegal content/piracy etc.

If you don't care, then it is a good addition.

Thank you***

May 9, 2017, 9:12 AM

Re: Also - Many will suggest adding Kodi software which is good,

May 9, 2017, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Also - Many will suggest adding Kodi software which is good, ]

Amazon Prime is a deal for streaming channels as you get a whole lot more than just a streaming channel. 10 bucks per month.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IPVanish FTW***

May 9, 2017, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Also - Many will suggest adding Kodi software which is good, ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

May 9, 2017, 9:19 AM

i have netflix and hulu... i bought a ROKU 2 for like $60.. it plugs into the back of your tv (HDMI cable) and it works like a desktop w/ apps... kinda..

you use the roku remote to select what you want to watch.. hulu or netflix.. or whatever you subscribe to. and, each one has it's own set of movies and shows. netflix is about $10/mo and hulu is about $12/mo (though, netflix is better).. as for channels.. you can sign up for a lot of channels..

i watch friends, andy griffith show, the office, that 70's show.. i'm a 30 minute comedy rerun kinda guy... but, here's a link to the best 50 shows on netflix http://uproxx.com/tv/best-shows-on-netflix-good-tv-series-ranked/

hulu works the same way... just not as many popular options, imho.

as for sports.. you should get sling TV.. it's a pay by month subscription for $20. so, from september to january.. just pay $20/mo and watch football.. then when the season is over.. don't pay anymore.

i just recently got rid of cable.. but, i also have two kids under 10 yrs old.. so, i don't have time for a lot of tv, anyway.. so, i thought this was the best route for us, at this time.

Thanks, I also have kids under 10 so that reminds me, are

May 9, 2017, 9:24 AM

cartoons available with these plans?

Yes Sling has several kids channels

May 9, 2017, 9:26 AM

https://www.sling.com/

Re: Thanks, I also have kids under 10 so that reminds me, are

May 9, 2017, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Thanks, I also have kids under 10 so that reminds me, are ]

We recently dropped the kids add on pack on SlingTV in favor of Hulu/the PBS kids App on Roku. We were going to have to get Hulu anyway because it has new/recent TV that my wife likes, and the PBS kids app is free (if you're a tax payer, you've chipped in already).

My kids were addicted to the shows on Disney Junior, but they quickly found stuff on Hulu/PBS kids that they like. Instead of watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Paw Patrol, and Blaze, they now watch Dinosaur Train (PBS), Daniel Tiger (PBS), and Curious George(Hulu).

There were always a couple on-demand episodes on the SlingTV kids pack for the shows we watched, but they got stale real quick when you've seen the same Paw Patrol episode 40 times in the last week, things can get dicey. Hulu's got the whole catalog for a few kids shows, which makes my wife less stabby. Though my 3 year old often requests the same episodes over and over again.

Check out the PBS kids app on Roku if you end up going that route.

Sling allows you to add $5 packages.... Movies, Kids, Sports

May 9, 2017, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Thanks, I also have kids under 10 so that reminds me, are ]

News, etc. So you can tailor it to what you want. Or you can get the top subscription and have it all.

I'm glad this thread started. I have a few questions

May 9, 2017, 10:45 AM

If you have Sling, can you watch it on multiple TVs with one account at the same time? Does it stream the TV channels live? Unfortunately, we sometimes let our TV babysit while we get housework and other things done. I don't want to have to choose on-demand style shows that just stop once the show is over. I'd like a continuous stream of TV all day.

Depends on which service you subscribe to..

May 9, 2017, 10:47 AM

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Can-I-watch-Sling-TV-on-multiple-devices-at-the-same-time-13

But yes the channels are live, just like on cable or satellite.

So, 3 devices with Blue

May 9, 2017, 10:56 AM

Obviously, I'd have to buy 3 Amazon Firesticks or whatever. And, If I wanted more devices (I have 7 TVs), I'd have to buy more accounts. Does this sound about right? It looks like I wouldn't need Hulu or anything. Sling looks like it offers plenty of channels.

You could watch on your laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc

May 9, 2017, 11:01 AM

without a Firestick, and even hook them up to a TV.

There may be another way around multiple accounts, but somebody more familiar with the service would need to answer that.

You can see what Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. offer and decide what works best for your family.

I already have Amazon Prime

May 9, 2017, 11:06 AM

But, I've never tried watching movies and shows on it. I just get it free with my Credit Card

Man, that YouTube TV has about everything you could ask for.

May 9, 2017, 9:24 AM

$35 a month including DVR... What's the catch???

Check out Hulu Live TV as well. Pretty decent channel lineup***

May 9, 2017, 9:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

We cut cable AND phone..

May 9, 2017, 9:26 AM

Use our DVD media player for Netflix and Hulu. Because we have little kids and don't want them to have cellphones, we still have a house phone, but use Ooma, which goes through your internet service. After you buy the Ooma product, the only cost for telephone service is taxes (for us about $10/month)....no service fee.

Simply put - live TV costs money - especially sports

May 9, 2017, 9:34 AM

This is a simplification, but pretty accurate.

With Roku, Chromecast, whatever, think "tiles" - you can get a "tile" for HGTV, a "tile" for PBS, a "tile" for ABC Kidz TV, and a gazillion other tiles for AMC, Food Network, Fox, CNN, etc etc etc, but again these are recorded shows... maybe very recent, but nevertheless recorded. The good part is they are free. You pay one time to actually buy the Roku TV, Apple TV or whatever and of course you pay for the Internet monthly, but you don't pay any extra to "watch TV".

Ok, for live TV (e.g. sports) you can get a "tile" for something such as Sling TV that gives you access to live programming like ESPN. But, the big gotcha is you gotta pay for those tiles. And worse, they package up the tiles so you have to buy two of 'em to get most of the channels you need if you're really into sports. So, at the end of the day, you're back to paying for live sports.

So... "cord cutting" is sort of a pipe team... if you want broad coverage of live sports, you're gonna pay the man. If ESPN is paying a gabillion dollars for broadcast rights, you can bet you're gonna pay to watch it... the only question is who you write the check to.

Re: Simply put - live TV costs money - especially sports

May 9, 2017, 11:45 AM

This is not completely true. You can get the download tiles for free, but you still need a cable company that supports that channel's stream, and I'm pretty sure you have to have the that channel on your cable subscription.

For instance I wanted to watch the NFL draft on the NFL Network, and I wanted to watch outside on my iPad. I have the NFL network in my cable package, but since I have Comcast I couldn't stream the NFL channel, I had to stream it on WatchESPN instead.

Also on Roku after downloading the AMC and FX tiles I had to authenticate my account through Comcast before I could stream.

Am impressed by the very good answers to the guy's question***

May 9, 2017, 10:14 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too - thanks to all responders

May 9, 2017, 10:23 AM

I am looking for other options myself and this has been very helpful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2017, 10:31 AM

generally once you sign up online for any of these servicees, unicorns will deliver the hard ware to your home and install it for you. I do not recommend this route for older Tnetters, or people who are afraid of unicorns in general.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Others may love it, but I gave Sling a try a few months back

May 9, 2017, 10:49 AM

and it sucked for me.

Constant motion blur from the stream. Had to turn it off because it was giving me a headache.

PS Vue(I'm weary of Sony PSNetwork), Youtube TV, and Hulu Live TV look like interesting options.

I was paying out the wazoo for ATT U-Verse and just switched over to charter last weekend and with the triple play the price is right on TV service for now.

So you tried Sling while using AT&T U-Verse? Have you tried

May 9, 2017, 11:03 AM

it with Charter internet?

Yes and No I have not. Probably won't either.

May 9, 2017, 11:19 AM

The newer services look to be better IMO.

I won't subscribe to the newer services until they have most

May 9, 2017, 12:15 PM

of the bugs worked out.

What device are you using with PS Vue?

May 9, 2017, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Others may love it, but I gave Sling a try a few months back ]

I have seen people say they prefer PS:Vue to SlingTV, but PS:Vue was terrible compared to SlingTV when I tried it. The UI is slow and laggy, streams constantly stopping and rebuffering. Their guide was terrible (laggy on the iPad, nonexistent on the Roku).

I was really disappointed because the pricing for NFLNetwork + SEC Network + ESPNU is better on PS: Vue compared to SlingTV (where you have to do Orange+Blue+Sports pack to get those channels).

The only thing I could think is that maybe they didn't do any testing whatsoever on anything other than PlayStation hardware? It was evident that nobody with any decision making authority spent any time trying to use it on an iPad or Roku, because the experience is terrible on those platforms. What platform were you using where it was tolerable (or outright better than SlingTV)? Were you using a PS4?

The good thing about all these services is that they generally offer a trial period so you can test it out for yourself without having to spend any money.

May 9, 2017, 11:34 AM

I personally use and enjoy PlayStation Vue. Charter also offers a streaming service for internet subscribers that includes HBO

May 9, 2017, 11:55 AM

Playstation Vue is my favorite, having used both Vue & Sling. Sling is a bit cheaper but doesn't have local channels. I can't get an antenna to work in my neighborhood (too many tall trees) so Vue's local channels were a game changer for me.

if you can get locals via an antenna, I would roll with that & Sling because it's cheaper and Sling's interface is better. Vue's interface was pretty amateurish last football season, I sincerely hope they upgrade it. (haven't used in 4 months so not sure)

What device are you using with PS Vue?***

May 9, 2017, 12:08 PM

Re: What device are you using with PS Vue?***

May 9, 2017, 2:59 PM

Yes this is a great question. The layout with Vue on Amazon Fire is much better than Roku.

May 9, 2017, 11:34 AM

Basically, channels are served 'a la carte' without a cable subscription. Cord cutters end up being 'password collectors'. I pay for Netflix and Hulu, and I trade these passwords with friends that have TV provider logins like DirecTV. Then I have access to nearly any streaming channels for the combined cost of just Netflix/Hulu ($25/month)

To watch Netflix, you need a Netflix password. Netflix is an on-demand service with both network TV shows, Netflix Original TV shows, and a decent selection of movies.

Hulu is similar to Netflix, with a bigger emphasis on primetime TV shows.

To watch games on WatchESPN (like ACC college football games), you need a TV provider password (directv, cable, ect.)

To watch games on Fox (like PAC12 games or NFL), you can use the same password.

I do not regret canceling my TV. A >$100/month expense is gone, and I am still able to watch all major live sporting events and enjoy TV shows on demand. However, you'll want to make friends with someone that has a TV subscription that would love free Netflix/Hulu/HBOGO from you in exchange.

I thought someone said you could get access to WatchESPN

May 9, 2017, 12:19 PM

with a Sling TV ID and password also?

Yes, this is true

May 9, 2017, 12:32 PM

Your SlingTV credentials let you login to WatchESPN. You just need to select SlingTV as your provider (instead of Comcast/Charter/Directv/Time Warner) when you login. Very straightforward.

May 9, 2017, 12:38 PM

Fire Stick with Kodi & VPN... you now rule the world.

May 9, 2017, 12:55 PM

FWIW: The new Hulu Streaming service offers a free 7-day trial, if you want to check it out.

Thanks for all the input on this thread. It is very informative. My Directv contract runs out later this year, and I plan to change to something else.

Maybe I missed it, but how does using these streaming services affect others in your home regarding internet speed/bandwidth? I have Charter internet at 60MPS, and I do not usually have any issues even though I often stream 2 WatchESPN sessions at the same time. I cast those games to 2 big screen TV's using Chromecast dongles. I don't want to lose the ability to do that.

There's only so much that can go through the pipe at one

May 9, 2017, 12:57 PM

time. At some point you may need a bigger pipe (i.e. more bandwidth).

You're probably OK with 60Mbit/s service

May 9, 2017, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: For those of you that use roku, hulu, netflix or some other ]

I would expect you're probably OK with 60Mbit/s service (with 2 HD streams), but you might have to set up QoS (Quality of Service) settings on your router depending on what other network activity is going on. For example, if someone connected to your wifi starts downloading a large file, calls someone on FaceTime, or updates apps on their phone while you're streaming 2 HD streams, the other stuff going on could choke out the video streams. It also depends on your upload speed, since the incoming traffic may depend on sending acknowledgements upstream.

We have a family rule that there's no FaceTime calls, app updates, etc during Clemson football since we're streaming the video over WatchESPN.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic