Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What can’t 1st down markets be computerized?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

What can’t 1st down markets be computerized?

Dec 17, 2017, 11:32 PM

Cowboys raiders game the ref used a folded over index card to see if ball was beyond first down marker. Why not get up to date and use some type of computerized system to determine ball location relative to first down marker?
Currently it’s so subjective.
Sticks got to be held perfectly plumb among about a dozen other factors.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are you serial?

Dec 17, 2017, 11:37 PM

why cant football be football like it was 30 years ago...just play the game. bad calls are part of it. some go your way some dont. thats why the ball is shaped to never bounce the same way twice

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: are you serial?

Dec 18, 2017, 4:35 AM

I agree with you. The game is played by humans( who make mistakes ) so let it be called by humans and MOVE ON !! All the endless reviews are ridiculous. If players and coaches don't make any more mistakes than officials they will be fine.

Dec 18, 2017, 9:15 AM [ in reply to are you serial? ]

I support bad calls as part of the game as long as said bad calls only go against the opposing team and not Clemson

That is all

Dec 18, 2017, 9:29 AM [ in reply to are you serial? ]

On that note let’s revert back to using sand timers and get rid of the ELECTRONIC clock.

Just more technojunk to malfunction.

Dec 18, 2017, 5:28 AM

Nothing would change. Why can't guys just fight for another yard and remove the need to waste time dragging the chains across the field?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like balls and strikes should be computerized in MLB*****

Dec 18, 2017, 6:39 AM

Re: What can’t 1st down markets be computerized?

Dec 18, 2017, 7:08 AM

I always thought they could put a laser on the end of the chains.

i like it

Dec 18, 2017, 7:58 AM

I always thought about some type of sensors buried under the sidelines, of course I think I was 14-15 at the time.

Dec 18, 2017, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: What can’t 1st down markets be computerized? ]

I had this "idea " 10 yrs ago. Did a patent search. Someone has it patented already. Now I would think a small locator chip in the ball and a grid on sideline would work well. I guess the chain gang union is stronger than we think !

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. Just Bc humans are flawed doesn’t mean

Dec 18, 2017, 8:20 AM

We can’t use well tested technology to do something beyond limits of human perception or accuracy. Same with balls and strikes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't you have any tecnogadgets to fix the NBA?

Dec 18, 2017, 8:56 AM

The NBA is just as needy of rejuvenation as any other sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some c4 would be a great start***

Dec 18, 2017, 9:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2017, 8:28 AM

Anyone remember in the '50's when Tigers had a transit on a rail on the sideline and could immediately sight whether it was a 1st and 10 or not. NCAA allowed it for one year on a trial basis.
Don't know why it wasn't adopted.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hoffa probably had it shut down because they weren't

Dec 18, 2017, 8:32 AM

members of the Teamsters union.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

zzzzzzzzz....***

Dec 18, 2017, 8:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Dec 18, 2017, 8:50 AM

The old USFL had lasers on the sidelines that ran the length of the field but there had to be a clear line of site and rye calibration if something contacted them. Better might be a remote total station robot with reflector less. Would still need a clear view but calls would be almost instantaneous. No waiting for the crew to run in from the sidelines. Location of the gained line could be computed from shots on either end of the ball since it's length is supposed to be standard. This technology is used similarly by the PGA.

I have a better question....

Dec 18, 2017, 9:01 AM

Why can't replay cameras use high speed frame rates so that instant replays are clear and not blurry. To have indisputable evidence would help if the film was clear and precise during slow instant replays.

Re: I have a better question....

Dec 18, 2017, 9:27 AM

Speaking of fuzzy cameras, it seems that most banks that get robbed have THE worst video quality of the robber. Why can’t banks get quality images?

Dec 18, 2017, 9:18 AM

Sure, because picking up the football from a player who tossed it aside then trying to line up with the side judge(s) who are indicating where to place the ball from 25 yards away, based on where they felt the play was holding the ball when he went down (again perhaps as seen from 25 yards away), then setting it on the ground by eyeball is a precision operation that would benefit from laser measurement?

And nevermind that on 1st down the sticks are set as above based on several eyeballed measurements and alignments. A small mistake on setting the chains on 1st down may impact measurement later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a market for 1st downs?

Dec 18, 2017, 9:46 AM

Who knew?

Think they'll fluctuate like BitCoin?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

We already have the yellow line, use it!***

Dec 18, 2017, 10:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We already have the yellow line, use it!***

Dec 18, 2017, 11:01 AM

Yep.
They want to speed up the game right. Get rid of the yard stick and that saves 5 minutes over the course of a game.

Dec 18, 2017, 11:05 AM

What is a catch nowadays?

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic